    Anyone else like this TV movie? Better then I thought it would be.

    this would be a good DVD release.

    Hope they make it a series after all.

    Chris4V, Dec 11, 2003

  2. On 11 Dec 2003 15:28:05 GMT, ospam (Chris4V) wrote:

    >Anyone else like this TV movie? Better then I thought it would be.

    I had problems with it but it was MUCH better than expected and I
    liked it.

    >this would be a good DVD release.

    No doubt. I expect they will release it.

    >Hope they make it a series after all.

    Well, initial ratings were good - so figure at least another
    miniseries, or a series, will happen:

    Sci Fi, on the other hand, is ecstatic over the performance of
    "Battlestar Galactica." Its average audience is the third-best in the
    channel's history, trailing earlier miniseries "Taken" and "Dune."
    After drawing just under 3.9 million people for Monday's premiere,
    "Galactica" averaged 4.46 million viewers Tuesday.

    Tuesday's installment was the most-watched show on cable for the night
    and also beat broadcast networks UPN and The WB in total viewers. It
    was Sci Fi's best night of the year in total viewers and all key

    Hitman of Las Vegas, Dec 11, 2003

  3. Chris4V

    Chris4V Guest

    wow

    great news

    Chris4V, Dec 11, 2003
  4. Chris4V

    Writer R5 Guest

    I want to see a series too.

    Mark
    GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
    http://www.genreonline.net
    Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster

    Writer R5, Dec 11, 2003
  5. Chris4V

    Eric R. Guest

    ospam (Chris4V) wrote in message

    > Anyone else like this TV movie? Better then I thought it would be.
    >
    > this would be a good DVD release.
    >

    > Hope they make it a series after all.

    I loved it! Better than the original, if you ask me (and I was a fan
    of the original). And yeah, I can't wait for the series and the DVD.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Dec 11, 2003
  6. Chris4V

    Wade365 Guest

    Please oh please don't make this a series!!! Keep it as mini-series events
    instead of trying to grunt out 24 eps, PLEASE. Make all the mini-series you
    want on the subject just PLEASE don't turn it into a hastily squatted pile
    after what has been laid out with the first story.

    Wade365, Dec 11, 2003
  7. Chris4V

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Chris4V, says...

    I thought it was great. I will buy the DVD's the day they come out, if
    released.

    And yes, I'd love to see it as a series. Although I was a fan of the
    original, I thought the new mini series far suprpassed it in almost
    every respect.

    And as long as this is off topic, I'd like to pose the following
    question: Why did so many fans complain about the changes made to
    Starbuck, but not the changes made to Boomer? And I'm not just talking
    about the race/sex change with Boomer, but that other thing too.

    As far as I can tell, there are only three possible reasons:

    1) Starbuck was a lead, Boomer supporting.
    2) Starbuck was a "man's man", and therefore it was more annoying to see
    a character with that name portrayed by a woman.
    3) Its a race thing and people didn't care what happened to the black
    guy. I HOPE it's not this reason, but I have to wonder about it.

    See, the thing about it is, I find the change to Boomer MORE dramatic
    and outrageous than the change to Starbuck, for the reasons revealed in
    the last scene. That's WAY more of rewrite of the original characters
    than what they did to Starbuck. So why all the anger over Starbuck?

    Discuss!

    Mark Spatny, Dec 11, 2003
  8. "Chris4V" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone else like this TV movie? Better then I thought it would be.
    >
    > this would be a good DVD release.
    >

    > Hope they make it a series after all.

    Go to Amazon and enter an email address for this DVD.

    Michael Walker, Dec 11, 2003
  9. Chris4V

    Chris4V Guest

    The only thing I didnt like was the sudden zooming in and out for no reason
    during the certain scenes. annoying.

    Chris4V, Dec 12, 2003
  10. Chris4V

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Chris4V" <> wrote in message
    > The only thing I didnt like was the sudden zooming in and out for no

    reason
    > during the certain scenes. annoying.

    That was exactly what I loved about the filmmaking technique. Gave the
    action sequences a documentary feel, and did a lot to hide the seams between
    CG and live action.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Dec 12, 2003
  11. Chris4V

    Wade365 Guest

    << Gave the
    action sequences a documentary feel, and did a lot to hide the seams between
    CG and live action. >>

    Made the ships look like an episode of Ultraman to me... but I liked the rest
    of the show.

    I still say, please let it be done at a slower pace and a larger budget than
    having to crank out the eps for a weekly program. I think the reason what they
    did worked so well is that that is as far as they figured it would go... the
    end is obviously set up for continuation but I think they should take it the
    route of the various Star Trek series and keep it to movies/mini series and put
    more time and effort into less over-all production just to appease a few people
    who need a fix weekly.

    There were many concepts which demonstrated that the people writing have
    allowed progress and evolution for something I thought was as stagnant as could
    be... the series of my childhood has grown up into an enjoyable engagement for
    my adult fan tastes and I would hate to see it get rushed and thinned out now
    that they have my attention.

    Wade365, Dec 12, 2003
  12. Chris4V

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Wade365" <> wrote in message

    > I still say, please let it be done at a slower pace and a larger budget

    than
    > having to crank out the eps for a weekly program.

    I'd be surprised if Edward James Olmos would commit to a weekly cable
    series. But I've been surprised before. Or he could make only occasional
    appearances, like Martin Sheen was originally going to do on "The West
    Wing."

    Whatever, I can't believe they're *not* planning a series, even if they knew
    going in they might have to retool Adama's role. Now that the show did well
    in the ratings -- and improved significantly the second night, which means a
    lot -- and now that they have all the CG modeling done and almost all the
    parts cast with young and relatively unknown actors.

    Maybe Col. Tigh can be the week-by-week "command presence."

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Dec 12, 2003
  13. Chris4V

    Writer R5 Guest

    Since Sci-Fi is owned by Universal, hence all the Universal properties being
    developed into series like a new "Quantum Leap" and the failed "Tremors: The
    Series," I think Universal and Sci-Fi will want to give BG a chance if only for
    the fact that it is in their best interests to run shows developed in house
    that they own than to keep shelling out money to other studios like MGM to make
    Stargate: SG-1 and the upcoming spin-off Stargate: Atlantis.

    I like Stargate, but lately it seems that is the only new show Sci-Fi has that
    is worth watching and so far season 7 has not engaged me like the previous
    seasons.

    I think part of the reason that Farscape was suddenly cancelled has a lot to do
    with the whole developing projects in-house that they own. Just like many
    studios aspire to be a "Disney" in terms of animation, I think every studio
    would love to have a franchise like Paramount's Star Trek. Sure Enterprise is
    not going to get the 7 year run like the previous shows, but give it a few
    years or even a decade and they will hire fresh new writers with new ideas and
    Trek will be back on TV.

    Universal has potential franchise with Galactica. The least they should do is
    if they are unsure, produce a second miniseries to air by next holiday season
    and then base the decision to go to series on whether or not ratings and
    reaction improves. I personally am a sci-fi fan and proud of it and I would
    love too see the new Galactica go to series and if I could afford it, I'd want
    to let Richard Hatch develop his "Second Coming" feature as sequel to the
    original series to keep all BG fans happy.

    Writer R5, Dec 12, 2003
  14. Chris4V

    jayembee Guest

    Mark Spatny <> wrote:

    > And as long as this is off topic, I'd like to pose the
    > following question: Why did so many fans complain about
    > the changes made to Starbuck, but not the changes made
    > to Boomer? And I'm not just talking about the race/sex
    > change with Boomer, but that other thing too.
    >
    > As far as I can tell, there are only three possible reasons:
    >
    > 1) Starbuck was a lead, Boomer supporting.
    > 2) Starbuck was a "man's man", and therefore it was more
    > annoying to see a character with that name portrayed by
    > a woman.
    > 3) Its a race thing and people didn't care what happened
    > to the black guy. I HOPE it's not this reason, but I have
    > to wonder about it.
    >
    > See, the thing about it is, I find the change to Boomer
    > MORE dramatic and outrageous than the change to Starbuck,
    > for the reasons revealed in the last scene. That's WAY
    > more of rewrite of the original characters than what they
    > did to Starbuck. So why all the anger over Starbuck?

    It seems to me that your Reason #2 is the primary one. Most
    people I've talked to (including my girlfriend) seem to feel
    that the "ladies' man" bit was such an inherent part of what
    made the character work, that its omission (absent a decision
    to make Starback Mark II a lesbian, of course) makes the
    character decidedly *not* Starbuck.

    However, I suspect that your Reason #1 is more likely to
    be why those who are upset about the sex change to Starbuck
    aren't as upset about the same being done to Boomer. Boomer
    just doesn't have the "fan base" that Starbuck does.

    For what it's worth, I didn't like the new mini at all. It
    was a noble try, but ultimately didn't hold together. While
    admittedly a fan of the original series -- more out of a
    feeling of nostalgia than that I thought it especially good
    -- I wasn't the least bit put off the new series by the
    changes from the original. Unlike most fans, I had absolutely
    no problem with the change of Starbuck from male to female.

    There were only two changes from the original that *did*
    bother me. The first was the seeming destruction of the
    "best friends" relationship between Apollo and Starbuck.
    The second was the "bleaching" of the cast.

    Well, OK, there was also the absence of Athena, but since
    it wouldn't have been Maren Jensen anyway... :)

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Dec 12, 2003
  15. Chris4V

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Rich Clark, says...

    > I'd be surprised if Edward James Olmos would commit to a weekly cable
    > series.

    I wouldn't be surprised at all. He made the commitment for the PBS
    series "American Family", and I'm sure Galactica will have a bigger
    budget and audience.

    Mark Spatny, Dec 12, 2003
  16. Chris4V

    Wade365 Guest

    << I'd be surprised if Edward James Olmos would commit to a weekly cable
    > series. >>

    I'd be suprised if he wouldn't. Same goes for Scott Bakula doing Trek, like
    he's busy? It's not like he's Colin Ferrel with his mug in every damned movie
    poster these days, y'know.

    Wade365, Dec 12, 2003
  17. Chris4V

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Mark Spatny" <> wrote in message
    > Rich Clark, says...
    >
    > > I'd be surprised if Edward James Olmos would commit to a weekly cable
    > > series.

    > I wouldn't be surprised at all. He made the commitment for the PBS
    > series "American Family", and I'm sure Galactica will have a bigger
    > budget and audience.

    I hope you're right. His participation, and Ronald Moore's, were my main
    incentives for watching the show. But the man has a distinguished career
    that's mostly on a different sort of trajectory. The fact that he did the
    mini is a good sign.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Dec 12, 2003
  18. Chris4V

    Riffraff Guest

    On 11 Dec 2003 15:28:05 GMT, ospam (Chris4V) wrote:

    >Anyone else like this TV movie? Better then I thought it would be.
    >
    >this would be a good DVD release.
    >

    >Hope they make it a series after all.

    I was elated when I heard the news that the Sci-Fi channel was bringing
    the BSG series back. When I heard they were going to make changes, I
    decided to keep an open mind and watch it before I passed judgement.
    After finally watching the new mini-series, I can say this about it. In and of
    itself it's ok but it's definitely nothing to write home about. It's about as
    average as the rest of the garbage the studios are putting on television
    right now but that's not the reason I don't like the series.

    These are the reasons I don't like the new series:

    Universal completely abandoned the fans of the original series. Just stop
    and think about this. It was the fan club that kept BSG interest alive by
    putting on conventions all over the world for the past twenty years. It was
    the fan club that petitioned the studio to put the original series out on dvd.
    And it was the fan club that petitioned the studio to bring back the series
    where the story would continue with the same cast and characters 20
    years after the original series went off the air.

    What did the studio do? To their credit, they put out the dvd of the original
    series but they completely screwed the fans when they made the new mini-
    series. If it wasn't for the fan club's begging for them to bring back the series,
    it would never have been made. It was the fan club's interest in seeing the
    characters again that alerted the studio to the fact that they would be wise
    to bring the series out of mothballs. Yet when they did, they effectively told
    the fans to screw off by completely changing the characters and the arc of
    the story. They could have easily created new characters but instead they
    slapped the fans in the face with the completely butchered story.

    It wouldn't have killed them to create all new characters but instead they
    bastardized everything that was good about the characters that the fans
    enjoyed when the original series was on TV.

    The two biggest mistakes the studio made were:

    1) changing the character of Apollo and his relationship with his father
    2) making Starbuck a female and changing the friendship with Apollo .

    The new Apollo is a whining little maggot who needs a royal ass-kicking.
    He's not a character worth rooting for... he's just a punk who has a chip
    on his shoulder and an attitude. Completely opposite of the original Apollo.

    Making Starbuck was a royal screw-up too. Were this a new character
    with a different name, I would have no problem with it. But making Starbuck
    female completely changes the arc of the character. How? In the originals
    series, Apollo and Starbuck were best friends from childhood up through the
    military. They shared a deep platonic friendship that is not possible when you
    make one of the characters a woman. Now exists the sexual element to deal
    with which exists with any friendship between men and women and thus
    destroys the original arc of the story.

    The studio also screwed up by changing all of the other characters too.
    Adama is no longer the noble leader trying to lead his people to safety.
    Now he is a worn down man with deep issues and tons of emotional
    baggage with his son that makes him not worth liking or rooting for.

    Then there's the changing of Boomer to a woman. This again destroys
    the platonic friendship element between Boomer, Starbuck & Apollo. At
    least they made her Asian and not white. They shoulda left her black.

    Add to that all of the soap-opera-esque treatments of the story and it
    makes for a thoroughly unenjoyable viewing. Take the complete lack of
    military discipline in the story. The way the characters act is completely
    unbelievable by any rule of measure possible. If people in the military of
    the real world acted in the manner of the characters in the new BSG,
    there would be no military at all due to the infighting. It's impossible for
    a military to maintain any semblance of duty and loyalty when lower
    ranked soldiers speak and treat their superiors in such a manner.

    I must point out that the one character I came to like and root for was
    Baltar. In the original series he was not developed much and was made
    out to be the personification of evil incarnate. This time, the writers did
    a wonderful job by recreating Baltar as a man misled by good intentions,
    only to find out too late that he was betrayed by the cylons. I felt a true
    sympathy for his character in the new series. It's most unfortunate that I
    cannot say the same for the rest of the characters who are forgettable
    as well as unwatchable.

    I give credit where credit is due. The special effects in the new series are
    awesome. I like what they did with the battlestar as well as with the smaller
    ships and the cylons. I don't necessarily care for the humanoid cylons but I
    can live with that change. I liked the way most of it was filmed too except
    for some of the zoom shots which I found to be very annoying to the eye.

    However, great special effects do not a good story make. The story is as
    poorly written, if not worse than, the original series with plot loopholes large
    enough to fly a 777 through. The characters have been so drastically
    changed that they are completely unlikable and pathetic, leaving no one
    to root for except for Baltar. The arc of the story is more like a daytime soap
    than anything else, with character development severely lacking. All the
    characters are, more or less, worthless assholes.

    Thus, even though the mini-series has high production value and is some
    what better than I expected, I will not buy it on dvd nor will I watch any
    series based on BSG they might put out. Should they decide to cater to the
    true fans who put so much effort into getting them to bring the series back
    the way the fans really wanted, I'll definitely jump on board but for now, I'll
    sit this one out and stick with the original series I bought on dvd.

    Universal had a chance to do things right and make a series that would
    have taken the millions of fans across the world on a wonderful journey
    spanning the galaxy. Instead, they've grabbed the fans by the throat and
    force fed a load of unpallatable garbage down their throats leaving them
    wishing for the old days when BSG was good.

    But alas, my opinion, as well as all the fans who petitioned Universal to
    bring back the series, means absolutely nothing. TPTB will do whatever
    they want and cater to a new generation of fans at the expense of the
    old generation. I feel that Universal missed the opportunity to create a
    grand series that would have had serious theatrical potential but instead
    fell upon the generic formulas they so frequently use for their shows.

    What a pity...

    Then again, that's just my 2 cents,

    muscleman

    Riffraff, Dec 13, 2003
  19. Chris4V

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Riffraff" <I'> wrote in message

    > I was elated when I heard the news that the Sci-Fi channel was bringing
    > the BSG series back.

    You apparently misunderstood. A remake is not a revival.

    > When I heard they were going to make changes, I
    > decided to keep an open mind and watch it before I passed judgement.

    Clearly not, since you had apparently already decided that your standard for
    judgement would consist entirely of comparing the remake to the original.
    That's your right, of course, but don't pretend you're being somehow
    objective.

    > After finally watching the new mini-series, I can say this about it. In

    and of
    > itself it's ok but it's definitely nothing to write home about. It's about

    as
    > average as the rest of the garbage the studios are putting on television
    > right now but that's not the reason I don't like the series.
    >
    > These are the reasons I don't like the new series:

    [snip list of offended-fandom arguments]

    Again, it's your right to feel the way you feel. But I think you give the
    fans far too much credit for the existence of the remake, and then compound
    that error by entending it to include the thesis that since the fans deserve
    the credit, they also deserve to have the new version be exactly what they
    said they wanted. As if there was actual unanimity among the fans anyway,
    and as if a few thousand fans could somehow predict what several million
    casual TV viewers would tune in to see (which was the studio's agenda, and
    rightly so).

    Personally, although I enjoyed the original when it was aired, and I'm a fan
    of the genre, I don't think the series has aged well at all. I have no
    interest in seeing any of the surviving cast (although a cameo might be
    fun). And I applaud Ronald D. Moore for taking what was actually interesting
    and sustainable about the original premise -- the struggle for species
    survival, the mysterious mythology, the implacable foe -- and building the
    foundation for a modern series on it.

    The problem with the original series was that its creators didn't really
    care about or know anything about science fiction as a genre. They were
    trying to make adventure TV. It got stupid, and bad, real fast. It deserved
    to fail. The remake has the same potential that the original series
    squandered. It would have been a huge mistake to burden it with the failures
    of the original.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Dec 13, 2003
  20. Chris4V

    SRT Guest

    "Chris4V" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone else like this TV movie? Better then I thought it would be.
    >
    > this would be a good DVD release.
    >

    > Hope they make it a series after all.

    I hope they don't waste time and money with DVDs (did Spielberg write this
    junk, with all the character
    and story-line changes)! BTW, when did the networks start classifying a
    little 2 episode extended made for television movie as a "mini-series"? I
    thought most mini-series were at least 4 to 6 episodes long running for a
    full week or more. I guess they advertised this flop as a grandiose
    mini-series thinking it would draw more viewers. I do have to say the show
    is a little bit better than SciFi's current cornerstone programs - you know
    the fabulously stellar programs like Scare Tactics, the shows hosted by
    Bryan Gumbel or someone that keep dredging up ufo sightings, Roswell and
    Area 51, all the killer insect/critter made for television movies, etc. I
    bet Heraldo Rivera is ticked off that Gumbel has moved in on his schlock TV
    programming turf.

    srt

    SRT, Dec 13, 2003