O Really

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Nov 27, 2004.

  1. I just picked up issue 41 of the UK-based "Linux User & Developer"
    magazine. (Given how long it takes things to ship to NZ, it's probably
    the September issue.) One of the columns takes an irreverent look at the
    O'Reilly Open Source Convention which took place at the end of July. I
    like this description:

    Think of that scene in any space opera where a concerned Galactic
    Senate meets in full session and the Palace of Sentience is filled
    with Quetzandohs, Kilpliblitznings and Thogs, and even the rarely-
    seen Ambassador of the Further Withnirizootoot Reaches makes a
    brief and moving statement before [bursting] into flame in the
    predominantly oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere. Well, OSCON is
    exactly like that.

    and

    Like in the Galactic Senate, you never know what funny-shaped
    pig is going to turn out to be the leader of a vast, militaristic
    empire. Here, the seventeen year old brat you swipe out of your
    way to get the last sandwich at the Microsoft sponsored lunch
    could well turn out to be the chief maintainer of the GNU compiler
    suite. In open source, one must always remember that everyone
    may have a posse.

    and

    ...I can never work out whether OSCON is an optimistic
    expression of hope that we can all get along, or a scathing
    indictment of how even the smallest differences divide us. It's
    nice to see, for instance, the Debian and Gentoo folks put aside
    their disagreements, even if it's only to kick the hell out of any
    BSD users they find.

    There's also a hilarious description of the rivalry between the Perl and
    Python folks. But you can read that in the magazine...

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Nov 27, 2004

  2. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Howard Guest

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:04:21 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > There's also a hilarious description of the rivalry between the Perl and
    > Python folks. But you can read that in the magazine...

    I agree. I nearly split my sides when reading that article.

    I was in Burger King at the time and all the other patrons in
    earshot wanted to know what was so funny. but it was rather difficult to
    explain...

    -H

    Howard, Nov 28, 2004