O' Great One's

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by David, Nov 8, 2007.

  1. David

    David Guest

    I have posted this in some other news groups but not had a response and i
    could really use some advice. I though i would try here cause you guys seem
    to be pretty switched on.

    We have several hundred remote users. It has come to my attention that when
    they VPN in they don't update their DNS records automatically. This can only
    it can be done by running the ipconfig /registerdns command.

    We have a RAS server on the network and two DHCP servers which assign the
    clients IP addreses. Both DHCP servers are relay agents for the RAS. I have
    checked DHCP and it is set too "Always dynamically update A records and PTR
    records" both on the server level and on the scope.

    I think the problem maybe that a computer only registers its DNS when it
    starts up, and when they initialise the VPN to the office it doesn't. On the
    properties of the VPN connection i have selected the option to "regsister
    this connection in DNS" but still no joy.

    We have a firewall on the network which just passes through PPTP connections
    straight to the RAS server. I came accross an article on the internet that
    the firewall could block UDP packets, but as the VPN establishes then i
    wouldn't think this as a problem.

    Any ideas. If you need anymore info i will do my best to get it to you.
    David, Nov 8, 2007