NZ's third world internet

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Allistar, Jul 21, 2005.

  1. Allistar

    Allistar Guest

    I have a 2Mb/s (10Gb cap) account with Paradise.net. I got a phone call from
    them today saying that to stay with them as my provider I need to move my
    phone rental and tolls to them to. I thought it was a bit of an odd
    restriction but I've never liked feeding Telecom's monopoly so I don't
    mind.

    But get this: There is no way I have have a fixed IP without paying for a
    business account. I have a fixed IP now on my non business account and I
    rely on it. I don't understand what the problem is with contining to allow
    fixed addresses.

    Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a fixed
    IP on a personal account?

    If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s, minimum
    of 5Gb cap)?

    Stupid third world system. Pisses me off.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jul 21, 2005

  2. Allistar

    Richard Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a fixed
    > IP on a personal account?
    >
    > If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s, minimum
    > of 5Gb cap)?

    Orcon make you have one, I want dynamic but they cant do it.

    Richard, Jul 21, 2005

  3. Allistar

    Allistar Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a
    >> fixed IP on a personal account?
    >>
    >> If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s,
    >> minimum of 5Gb cap)?

    > Orcon make you have one, I want dynamic but they cant do it.

    Aren't Orcon using that UBS? Isn't the latency of UBS connections less than
    favourable (possibly because of dirty tricks by Telecom)?

    I've thought about what I need a fixed IP for and figure a couple of shell
    scripts should make it appear like I have one (by automatically fiddling
    the /etc/host file on my remote computers whenever my IP address changes).

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jul 21, 2005
  4. Allistar

    Nova Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > I have a 2Mb/s (10Gb cap) account with Paradise.net. I got a phone call from
    > them today saying that to stay with them as my provider I need to move my
    > phone rental and tolls to them to. I thought it was a bit of an odd
    > restriction but I've never liked feeding Telecom's monopoly so I don't
    > mind.
    >
    > But get this: There is no way I have have a fixed IP without paying for a
    > business account. I have a fixed IP now on my non business account and I
    > rely on it. I don't understand what the problem is with contining to allow
    > fixed addresses.
    >
    > Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a fixed
    > IP on a personal account?
    >
    > If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s, minimum
    > of 5Gb cap)?
    >
    > Stupid third world system. Pisses me off.
    >
    > Allistar.

    yeah it's silly, there is no reason why they shouldn't allow static ip's
    this was brought up in the draft with telstraclear which was agreed upon
    along with a huge range of other things that telstra raised about
    telecoms UBS "service". That draft was several months ago now, I am not
    sure on the process, maybe someone else can tell us what is happening
    with that, I assume it was then telecoms turn to pull the draft apart
    and tell the government why it's not possible for them to give nz'ers
    decent internet etc and of course the government will lap it up like
    they always do.

    anyway enough of the rant, orcon will give you a static ip I believe,
    though they cannot advertise it I think (part of telecoms rules).

    Nova, Jul 21, 2005
  5. Allistar

    Nova Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >

    >>Allistar wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a
    >>>fixed IP on a personal account?
    >>>
    >>>If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s,
    >>>minimum of 5Gb cap)?

    >>Orcon make you have one, I want dynamic but they cant do it.

    > Aren't Orcon using that UBS? Isn't the latency of UBS connections less than
    > favourable (possibly because of dirty tricks by Telecom)?
    >
    > I've thought about what I need a fixed IP for and figure a couple of shell
    > scripts should make it appear like I have one (by automatically fiddling
    > the /etc/host file on my remote computers whenever my IP address changes).
    >
    > Allistar.

    you could just use a dynamic domain for your ip, run dyndns or something
    similar, http://www.dyndns.org for details.

    Nova, Jul 21, 2005
  6. Allistar

    Brenda9 Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message news:...
    >I have a 2Mb/s (10Gb cap) account with Paradise.net. I got a phone call
    >from
    > them today saying that to stay with them as my provider I need to move my
    > phone rental and tolls to them to. I thought it was a bit of an odd
    > restriction but I've never liked feeding Telecom's monopoly so I don't
    > mind.
    >
    > But get this: There is no way I have have a fixed IP without paying for a
    > business account. I have a fixed IP now on my non business account and I
    > rely on it. I don't understand what the problem is with contining to allow
    > fixed addresses.
    >
    > Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a fixed
    > IP on a personal account?
    >
    > If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s, minimum
    > of 5Gb cap)?
    >
    > Stupid third world system. Pisses me off.
    >
    > Allistar.

    You think that you could have internet in the "third world" ??

    Brenda9, Jul 21, 2005
  7. Allistar

    Allistar Guest

    Brenda9 wrote:

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message news:...
    >>I have a 2Mb/s (10Gb cap) account with Paradise.net. I got a phone call
    >>from
    >> them today saying that to stay with them as my provider I need to move my
    >> phone rental and tolls to them to. I thought it was a bit of an odd
    >> restriction but I've never liked feeding Telecom's monopoly so I don't
    >> mind.
    >>
    >> But get this: There is no way I have have a fixed IP without paying for a
    >> business account. I have a fixed IP now on my non business account and I
    >> rely on it. I don't understand what the problem is with contining to
    >> allow fixed addresses.
    >>
    >> Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a
    >> fixed IP on a personal account?
    >>
    >> If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s,
    >> minimum of 5Gb cap)?
    >>
    >> Stupid third world system. Pisses me off.
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > You think that you could have internet in the "third world" ??

    Have you heard the term "figure of speech" before?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jul 21, 2005
  8. Brenda9 wrote:

    > You think that you could have internet in the "third world" ??

    You need to get out more.

    Stewart Fleming, Jul 21, 2005
  9. Allistar

    Brenda9 Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Brenda9 wrote:
    >

    >> "Allistar" <> wrote in message news:...
    >>>I have a 2Mb/s (10Gb cap) account with Paradise.net. I got a phone call
    >>>from
    >>> them today saying that to stay with them as my provider I need to move
    >>> my
    >>> phone rental and tolls to them to. I thought it was a bit of an odd
    >>> restriction but I've never liked feeding Telecom's monopoly so I don't
    >>> mind.
    >>>
    >>> But get this: There is no way I have have a fixed IP without paying for
    >>> business account. I have a fixed IP now on my non business account and I
    >>> rely on it. I don't understand what the problem is with contining to
    >>> allow fixed addresses.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a
    >>> fixed IP on a personal account?
    >>>
    >>> If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s,
    >>> minimum of 5Gb cap)?
    >>>
    >>> Stupid third world system. Pisses me off.
    >>>
    >>> Allistar.

    >> You think that you could have internet in the "third world" ??

    > Have you heard the term "figure of speech" before?

    Yes, and "hyperbole".

    Brenda9, Jul 21, 2005
  10. In article <lqHDe.2228$>,
    "Brenda9" <> wrote:

    >You think that you could have internet in the "third world" ??

    You're looking at it, baby.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 21, 2005
  11. Allistar

    thingy Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > I have a 2Mb/s (10Gb cap) account with Paradise.net. I got a phone call from
    > them today saying that to stay with them as my provider I need to move my
    > phone rental and tolls to them to. I thought it was a bit of an odd
    > restriction but I've never liked feeding Telecom's monopoly so I don't
    > mind.
    >
    > But get this: There is no way I have have a fixed IP without paying for a
    > business account. I have a fixed IP now on my non business account and I
    > rely on it. I don't understand what the problem is with contining to allow
    > fixed addresses.
    >
    > Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a fixed
    > IP on a personal account?
    >
    > If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s, minimum
    > of 5Gb cap)?
    >
    > Stupid third world system. Pisses me off.
    >
    > Allistar.

    This is ADSL?

    sounds like gouging.

    Maybe its a "sharp" salesman trying it on.

    I had one ring me up offering a new service which cost more and had way
    less volume. I declined.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jul 21, 2005
  12. Allistar wrote:
    > Aren't Orcon using that UBS? Isn't the latency of UBS connections less than
    > favourable (possibly because of dirty tricks by Telecom)?

    The latency is supposedly because of the way that the speed limiting is
    done, ISPs were made aware of this prior to UBS being availible... don't
    know why they are complaining... well, I do know, but they were aware of
    it so shouldn't be bitching about that in particular.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 21, 2005
  13. Allistar

    shannon Guest

    Brenda9 wrote:
    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>I have a 2Mb/s (10Gb cap) account with Paradise.net. I got a phone call
    >>from
    >>them today saying that to stay with them as my provider I need to move my
    >>phone rental and tolls to them to. I thought it was a bit of an odd
    >>restriction but I've never liked feeding Telecom's monopoly so I don't
    >>mind.
    >>
    >>But get this: There is no way I have have a fixed IP without paying for a
    >>business account. I have a fixed IP now on my non business account and I
    >>rely on it. I don't understand what the problem is with contining to allow
    >>fixed addresses.
    >>
    >>Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a fixed
    >>IP on a personal account?
    >>
    >>If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s, minimum
    >>of 5Gb cap)?
    >>
    >>Stupid third world system. Pisses me off.
    >>
    >>Allistar.

    > You think that you could have internet in the "third world" ??

    http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=35876

    ALOFI, Niue, The South Pacific -- The Internet Users Society – Niue
    (IUS-N), today announced that it has launched the world’s first free
    nation-wide WiFi Internet access service on the Polynesian island-nation
    of Niue. This new free wireless service which can be accessed by all
    Niue residents, tourists, government offices and business travelers, is
    being provided at no cost to the public or local government.

    "WiFi is the prefect fit for the Island of Niue, where harsh weather
    conditions of rain, lightning, salt water, and high humidity cause major
    problems with underground copper lines," said Richard St Clair,
    Co-Founder and Technical Manager at The Internet Users Society - Niue
    and Chairman, Pacific Island Chapter ISOC. "And since WiFi is a license
    free technology by International Agreement, no license is needed either
    by the provider or the user."

    shannon, Jul 21, 2005
  14. shannon wrote:
    >> You think that you could have internet in the "third world" ??

    > http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=35876
    >

    > ALOFI, Niue, The South Pacific -- The Internet Users Society – Niue
    > (IUS-N), today announced that it has launched the world’s first free
    > nation-wide WiFi Internet access service on the Polynesian island-nation
    > of Niue. This new free wireless service which can be accessed by all
    > Niue residents, tourists, government offices and business travelers, is
    > being provided at no cost to the public or local government.
    >
    > "WiFi is the prefect fit for the Island of Niue, where harsh weather
    > conditions of rain, lightning, salt water, and high humidity cause major
    > problems with underground copper lines," said Richard St Clair,
    > Co-Founder and Technical Manager at The Internet Users Society - Niue
    > and Chairman, Pacific Island Chapter ISOC. "And since WiFi is a license
    > free technology by International Agreement, no license is needed either
    > by the provider or the user."

    I'm working from memory, but I'm pretty sure this all got pulled down
    about a year later as the one and only Telco lobbied the govt to have it
    removed as it was killing them.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 21, 2005
  15. Allistar

    shannon Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >
    >>> You think that you could have internet in the "third world" ??

    >> http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=35876
    >>

    >> ALOFI, Niue, The South Pacific -- The Internet Users Society – Niue
    >> (IUS-N), today announced that it has launched the world’s first free
    >> nation-wide WiFi Internet access service on the Polynesian
    >> island-nation of Niue. This new free wireless service which can be
    >> accessed by all Niue residents, tourists, government offices and
    >> business travelers, is being provided at no cost to the public or
    >> local government.
    >>
    >> "WiFi is the prefect fit for the Island of Niue, where harsh weather
    >> conditions of rain, lightning, salt water, and high humidity cause
    >> major problems with underground copper lines," said Richard St Clair,
    >> Co-Founder and Technical Manager at The Internet Users Society - Niue
    >> and Chairman, Pacific Island Chapter ISOC. "And since WiFi is a
    >> license free technology by International Agreement, no license is
    >> needed either by the provider or the user."

    > I'm working from memory, but I'm pretty sure this all got pulled down
    > about a year later as the one and only Telco lobbied the govt to have it
    > removed as it was killing them.

    Yes, even in a nation with a population of 1800.
    However they found the phone system can't really cope with the extra
    load of internet traffic.
    They seem to be up and running again.
    Its funded by domain registrations for .nu
    http://www.wifination.nu/

    Mauritius is another third world island community with plans for wifi
    coverage to leapfrog the limitations of its telecommunications
    infrastructure

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2138349/wifi-mauritius

    Mauritius has become the first country to offer nationwide wireless
    internet access, as part of its quest to become a regional technology hub.

    The network gives contiguous wireless broadband coverage of more than
    100 square miles, enabling the island's 1.2 million inhabitants to
    access the internet via a submarine cable installed three years ago.

    The wide-area wireless broadband system uses smart antennas to boost
    performance and can be upgraded to 802.16e WiMax once the new standard
    is approved.

    "We looked at other high speed broadband options and, in our scenario,
    DSL and cable modem were not viable options," said Rizwan Rahim, chief
    executive at ADB Networks which was responsible for the roll out.

    "The rugged terrain of Mauritius requires a solution with no line of
    sight and cost effective deployment."

    The country is offering incentives to encourage IT companies to set up
    business as part of a move away from relying on agriculture and tourism.

    These include lower rates of corporation tax, increased tax breaks on IT
    purchases and up to 50 per cent discounts on personal tax rates for IT
    staff.

    Mauritius has also tightened up its computer crime laws and begun
    offering widespread IT education for its citizens.

    The moves mirror those in Dubai and some other Gulf States to attract IT
    jobs.

    shannon, Jul 21, 2005
  16. shannon wrote:

    >>> http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=35876
    >>> ALOFI, Niue, The South Pacific -- The Internet Users Society – Niue
    >>> (IUS-N), today announced that it has launched the world’s first free
    >>> nation-wide WiFi Internet access service on the Polynesian
    >>> island-nation of Niue.

    >> I'm working from memory, but I'm pretty sure this all got pulled down
    >> about a year later as the one and only Telco lobbied the govt to have
    >> it removed as it was killing them.

    > Yes, even in a nation with a population of 1800.
    > However they found the phone system can't really cope with the extra
    > load of internet traffic.
    > They seem to be up and running again.
    > Its funded by domain registrations for .nu
    > http://www.wifination.nu/
    >
    > Mauritius is another third world island community with plans for wifi
    > coverage to leapfrog the limitations of its telecommunications
    > infrastructure
    > http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2138349/wifi-mauritius
    > Mauritius has become the first country to offer nationwide wireless
    > internet access, as part of its quest to become a regional technology hub.

    one of the above articles is incorrect...

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 22, 2005
  17. Allistar

    Allistar Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> I have a 2Mb/s (10Gb cap) account with Paradise.net. I got a phone call
    >> from them today saying that to stay with them as my provider I need to
    >> move my phone rental and tolls to them to. I thought it was a bit of an
    >> odd restriction but I've never liked feeding Telecom's monopoly so I
    >> don't mind.
    >>
    >> But get this: There is no way I have have a fixed IP without paying for a
    >> business account. I have a fixed IP now on my non business account and I
    >> rely on it. I don't understand what the problem is with contining to
    >> allow fixed addresses.
    >>
    >> Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a
    >> fixed IP on a personal account?
    >>
    >> If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s,
    >> minimum of 5Gb cap)?
    >>
    >> Stupid third world system. Pisses me off.
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > This is ADSL?
    >
    > sounds like gouging.
    >
    > Maybe its a "sharp" salesman trying it on.
    >
    > I had one ring me up offering a new service which cost more and had way
    > less volume. I declined.

    Apparently it is new rules imposed by a deal between TeltraClear and Telecom
    - that is that from the end of August TelestraClear are wholesaling their
    ADSL services. To do this all of our phone rental etc. must be through
    them.

    None of that I mind. What I mind is being denied a fixed IP when I have one
    now.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jul 22, 2005
  18. On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:49:22 +1200, someone purporting to be Dave -
    Dave.net.nz didst scrawl:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> Aren't Orcon using that UBS? Isn't the latency of UBS connections less than
    >> favourable (possibly because of dirty tricks by Telecom)?

    > The latency is supposedly because of the way that the speed limiting is
    > done, ISPs were made aware of this prior to UBS being availible... don't
    > know why they are complaining... well, I do know, but they were aware of
    > it so shouldn't be bitching about that in particular.

    The latency is due to a lot of things, most of them entirely unrelated to
    the technical aspects of delivering the service. And the speed limiting
    can be done in such a manner that latency isn't impacted. Telecon just
    didn't wish to do it that way.
    Why shouldn't ISPs bitch about second-rate service? It's NOT a technical
    requirement that the service be crap, it's an implementation choice
    courtesy of the rapacious incumbent.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, Jul 22, 2005
  19. Allistar

    Max Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:37:54 +1200, Allistar wrote:

    > I have a 2Mb/s (10Gb cap) account with Paradise.net. I got a phone call from
    > them today saying that to stay with them as my provider I need to move my
    > phone rental and tolls to them to. I thought it was a bit of an odd
    > restriction but I've never liked feeding Telecom's monopoly so I don't
    > mind.
    >
    > But get this: There is no way I have have a fixed IP without paying for a
    > business account. I have a fixed IP now on my non business account and I
    > rely on it. I don't understand what the problem is with contining to allow
    > fixed addresses.
    >
    > Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a fixed
    > IP on a personal account?
    >
    > If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s, minimum
    > of 5Gb cap)?
    >
    > Stupid third world system. Pisses me off.
    >
    > Allistar.

    Telecom have ended what they termed the "Jetstream partnering program",
    where you could choose any ISP to handle your auth, email etc, and you had
    a split bill, paying the ISP a small charge, and the remainder appearing
    on your Telecom bill.

    From August 31, the only ISP that will offer Jetstream under that branding
    for ADSL will be Xtra, if you wish to remain with another provider and use
    ADSL, you must churn to UBS (unbundled bitstream service) if the provider
    supplies it, and all charges will come from them.

    In doing so, I imagine many people will switch to Xtra, as UBS is
    perceived to be inferior to "jetstream" and in some aspects is, ie the
    latency some talk about is in part caused by the L2TP tunnelling used to
    allow providers to control and terminate their own ADSL connections etc.

    I would have thought that all ISP's bar xtra, would have to use static IPs
    for this because they are allotted and/or purchase a certain amount of
    connections, and would need to use the IPs in their admin/billing and also
    be conservative with them.

    Max

    Max, Jul 22, 2005
  20. Allistar

    Scooter Guest

    On , , Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:37:54 +1200, NZ's third world
    internet, Allistar <> wrote:

    >I have a 2Mb/s (10Gb cap) account with Paradise.net. I got a phone call from
    >them today saying that to stay with them as my provider I need to move my
    >phone rental and tolls to them to. I thought it was a bit of an odd
    >restriction but I've never liked feeding Telecom's monopoly so I don't
    >mind.
    >
    >But get this: There is no way I have have a fixed IP without paying for a
    >business account. I have a fixed IP now on my non business account and I
    >rely on it. I don't understand what the problem is with contining to allow
    >fixed addresses.
    >
    >Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a fixed
    >IP on a personal account?
    >
    >If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s, minimum
    >of 5Gb cap)?
    >
    >Stupid third world system. Pisses me off.

    Bring the population up to that of a medium sized american state
    in the area of Auckland.
    Economy of scale.
    As simple as that.
    Unless we have a significantly larger population in a much
    smaller area than we have we will always have to pay more for any
    kind of internet.

    --
    "Considering the events of recent years,the world
    has a long way to go to regain its credibility and

    Scooter, Jul 29, 2005