NZ's e-ness

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 24, 2009.

  1. Not all that small, according to Nathan Torkington.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 24, 2009

  2. In message <1cajzq6zgkxc3$>, Bret wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:23:55 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Not all that small, according to Nathan Torkington.

    > WE, thankfully are not in your head with you so WTF is this about?

    Word invented by Kathryn Ryan today.

    <http://podcast.radionz.co.nz/ntn/ntn-20090924-1111-New_Technology_-_free_software.ogg>
    <http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/ninetonoon/20090924>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 24, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    geoff wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Not all that small, according to Nathan Torkington.

    > What's e-ness, and WTF is Nathan Torkington.

    Who is Nathan Torkington? Hehehehehe!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 24, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > geoff wrote:
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Not all that small, according to Nathan Torkington.

    >> What's e-ness, and WTF is Nathan Torkington.
    >>

    > Who is Nathan Torkington? Hehehehehe!

    He's a bloke I went to school with.

    EMB, Sep 24, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> geoff wrote:
    >>>
    >>> What's e-ness, and WTF is Nathan Torkington.
    >>>

    >> Who is Nathan Torkington? Hehehehehe!
    >>

    > He's a bloke I went to school with.

    No one at my school except myself has achieved world-wide fame.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 24, 2009
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > No one at my school except myself has achieved world-wide fame.

    Are you related to Steven from Rangiora?

    EMB, Sep 24, 2009
  7. Kathryn: Government 2.0. There's always 2.0 something, isn't it?
    Nathan: Yes. The 2.0cracy, I think--
    Kathryn: (laughs) 2.0cracy! Uhh, what was Government 1.0, for that matter!
    Nathan: Well, I think we're living in it right now, as there--paper forms,
    and ... shuffling folders around from office to office ...
    Kathryn: We're talking about what--e-Government then, and how it's
    advancing--
    Nathan: Yeah, we've gone through a whole bunch of different names:
    e-Government, Digital Democracy ... in the United States, I met the
    um--name drop--I met the Obama Administration's ... Head of Open
    Government--and she works for the CIO's office there--and she was
    looking into--she divides it into three areas: it's transparency,
    which is giving citizens better insight into what's going on in
    Government--making all that information inside the Government open
    and available to people who want to use it, whether they're
    businesses or citizens or nonprofit groups. They talk about
    collaboration, which is getting citizens and outsiders working
    better together; and they talk about participation, which is
    getting citizens' input into Government. So, instead of just
    sending out a document for consultation, and whoever happens to be
    randomly passing by the website of the agency in question at the
    right time finds out about it, doing more online and involved
    digital consultation.
    Kathryn: Where would you put New Zealand, and our ... e-ness ... compared to
    (laughs) what you saw in the States?
    Nathan: Did you just say "e-ness"?
    Kathryn: What's wrong with that?
    Nathan: Can I sample that?
    Kathryn: (laughs)
    Nathan: That's got to be a great ring tone!
    Kathryn: How's our e-ness?
    Nathan: (laughs) How's our e-ness! Show us your e-ness! New Zealand's
    e-ness--if you had asked me, I would have said we had a very small
    e-ness, uh, a couple of months ago. But since getting to the
    States, and seeing everybody else, actually we're not as far back
    as I thought. Everybody else is just getting started as well.
    There's movement afoot now within New Zealand, Bill English
    yesterday gave a talk where he said that--he referred to it as
    "inside-out" Government--taking all the stuff that Government
    holds, near and dear to its chest, and laying it out for other
    people. And so there's--he--the specific examples he cited were
    details of schools and hospitals and public administration works
    like that. And there's so much more within Government that's of use
    to businesses, of use to citizens and nonprofits as they figure out
    ... what's a good place to live, what's--you know--where am I--um,
    am I on a piece of land that's going to be underwater should the
    temperatures rise globally five degrees Celsius.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 25, 2009
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> >

    >> No one at my school except myself has achieved world-wide fame.

    > Are you related to Steven from Rangiora?

    No. He may have achieved local fame, but my fame is truly world-wide.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 25, 2009
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> Enkidu wrote:
    >>> >
    >>> No one at my school except myself has achieved world-wide fame.

    >> Are you related to Steven from Rangiora?
    > >

    > No. He may have achieved local fame, but my fame is truly world-wide.

    Steve's unlikely to have achieved fame on a level beyond provincial, but
    you share a less-than-common surname so I had wondered.

    EMB, Sep 25, 2009