NZ Web Censorship?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Evil Bastard, Nov 14, 2003.

  1. Evil Bastard

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Hi,

    When trying to visit the website
    http://www.indymedia.org.nz
    from my Orcon connection, I get a page which says:

    --
    ERROR

    While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.indymedia.org.nz

    The following error was encountered:

    * Access Denied.

    Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this is incorrect.

    Your cache administrator is .
    Generated Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:28:02 GMT by temp (Squid/2.4.STABLE6)
    --

    But when I try the site via an overseas web proxy, the site comes in fine.

    I've tried this with several browsers - same result.

    Is it just Orcon, or are people on other NZ ISPs getting censored as well?

    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Nov 14, 2003

  2. Evil Bastard

    bambam Guest

    Evil Bastard <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > When trying to visit the website
    > http://www.indymedia.org.nz
    > from my Orcon connection, I get a page which says:
    >
    > --
    > ERROR
    > The requested URL could not be retrieved

    <snip>

    > Is it just Orcon, or are people on other NZ ISPs getting censored
    > as well?

    Works OK here, on paradise dialup.

    --
    If Guys Ruled the World............
    Tanks would be far easier to rent.

    bambam, Nov 14, 2003

  3. Evil Bastard

    harry Guest

    "Evil Bastard" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > When trying to visit the website
    > http://www.indymedia.org.nz
    > from my Orcon connection, I get a page which says:
    >
    > --
    > ERROR
    > The requested URL could not be retrieved
    >
    > While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.indymedia.org.nz
    >
    > The following error was encountered:
    >
    > * Access Denied.
    >
    > Access control configuration prevents your request from being

    allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this
    is incorrect.

    > Your cache administrator is .
    > Generated Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:28:02 GMT by temp (Squid/2.4.STABLE6)
    > --
    >
    > But when I try the site via an overseas web proxy, the site comes in fine.
    >
    > I've tried this with several browsers - same result.
    >
    > Is it just Orcon, or are people on other NZ ISPs getting censored as well?
    >
    > Cheers
    > EB

    Works on paradise, guess you are just paranoid.

    harry, Nov 14, 2003
  4. Evil Bastard

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Fixed - please ignore

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:35:09 +1300, Evil Bastard wrote:

    Please ignore previous post. Had nothing to do with Orcon - turns out that
    the Squid proxy on one of the firewalls here was blocking the site.
    Strange.

    Evil Bastard, Nov 14, 2003
  5. Evil Bastard

    Redbaiter Guest

    Re: Fixed - please ignore

    Evil Bastard says
    > On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:35:09 +1300, Evil Bastard wrote:
    >
    > Please ignore previous post. Had nothing to do with Orcon - turns out that
    > the Squid proxy on one of the firewalls here was blocking the site.
    > Strange.

    Fucking conspiracy theory dumbarse..

    --
    Redbaiter
    In the leftist's lexicon, the lowest of the low

    Redbaiter, Nov 14, 2003
  6. Evil Bastard

    Peter Guest

    harry wrote:

    > Works on paradise, guess you are just paranoid.

    Just 'cos you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

    Peter

    Peter, Nov 14, 2003
  7. Evil Bastard

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <pan.2003.11.14.21.35.01.886610@127.0.0.1>,
    Evil Bastard <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    > Your cache administrator is .

    Here is your hint that it is not Orcon's fault...

    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Nov 14, 2003
  8. Evil Bastard

    David Pears Guest

    Re: Fixed - please ignore

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:57:01 +1300, Evil Bastard
    <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >Please ignore previous post. Had nothing to do with Orcon - turns out that
    >the Squid proxy on one of the firewalls here was blocking the site.
    >Strange.

    A proxy and a firewall are two different things. How can one be "on"
    the other?

    David

    David Pears, Nov 15, 2003
  9. Evil Bastard

    T.N.O. Guest

    Evil Bastard wrote:
    > Is it just Orcon, or are people on other NZ ISPs getting censored as well?

    It works fine from Morenet/In2net/Infogen dialup.
    Also from a a box I have hosted at scarfies.net and also a box hanging
    off ihugs servers.

    It appears that it is you :)

    T.N.O., Nov 15, 2003
  10. Evil Bastard

    Steve B Guest

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 15:49:18 +1300, "T.N.O."
    <> wrote:

    >Evil Bastard wrote:
    >> Is it just Orcon, or are people on other NZ ISPs getting censored as well?

    >It works fine from Morenet/In2net/Infogen dialup.
    >Also from a a box I have hosted at scarfies.net and also a box hanging
    >off ihugs servers.
    >
    >It appears that it is you :)

    Ah! SELF-censorship.

    The chip planted in his brain has been programmed to ensure he always
    mistypes the URL and doesn't see his own mistake (fnord!)

    More to the point, the content of the "independent" media site (at
    least today) shows it to be committed to a particular well-understood
    and well-tolerated oppostition lobby, which gets plenty of publicity
    in the "mainstream" media anyway.

    The real censorship of opinion lies a little deeper and is a little
    cleverer than that.

    Steve B.

    Steve B, Nov 15, 2003