    daylight saving protocol.

    I'm using DS Clock: details at

    http://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/?about?version=2.2r

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Oct 2, 2009

  2. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 10:25:47 +1200,
    "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    >Can someone give me an ntp address for a loal server that is
    >automatically adjusted for NZ daylight saving.
    >
    >I've tried msltime.irl.cri.nz but it does not appear to follow the
    >daylight saving protocol.
    >
    >I'm using DS Clock: details at
    >
    >http://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/?about?version=2.2r

    Excellent question. My MS system clock has automatically adjusted to
    NZ daylight savings time (I downloaded the MS patch), but I cannot get
    my World Clock to reflect this despite synchronising time using
    time-a.nist.gov .

    I'll be watching this space.

    Donchano, Oct 2, 2009

  3. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Malcolm Guest

    On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 11:30:30 +1300
    Donchano <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 10:25:47 +1200,
    > "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> shouted
    > from the highest rooftop:
    >
    > >Can someone give me an ntp address for a loal server that is
    > >automatically adjusted for NZ daylight saving.
    > >
    > >I've tried msltime.irl.cri.nz but it does not appear to follow the
    > >daylight saving protocol.
    > >
    > >I'm using DS Clock: details at
    > >
    > >http://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/?about?version=2.2r

    > Excellent question. My MS system clock has automatically adjusted to
    > NZ daylight savings time (I downloaded the MS patch), but I cannot get
    > my World Clock to reflect this despite synchronising time using
    > time-a.nist.gov .
    >
    > I'll be watching this space.

    Hi
    I thought windows needs a 'time' server, not a 'ntp' server for its
    synchronizing?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default

    Malcolm, Oct 2, 2009
  4. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Donchano Guest

    On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 17:38:12 -0500, Malcolm
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 11:30:30 +1300
    >Donchano <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 10:25:47 +1200,
    >> "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> shouted
    >> from the highest rooftop:
    >>
    >> >Can someone give me an ntp address for a loal server that is
    >> >automatically adjusted for NZ daylight saving.
    >> >
    >> >I've tried msltime.irl.cri.nz but it does not appear to follow the
    >> >daylight saving protocol.
    >> >
    >> >I'm using DS Clock: details at
    >> >
    >> >http://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/?about?version=2.2r

    >> Excellent question. My MS system clock has automatically adjusted to
    >> NZ daylight savings time (I downloaded the MS patch), but I cannot get
    >> my World Clock to reflect this despite synchronising time using
    >> time-a.nist.gov .
    >>
    >> I'll be watching this space.

    >Hi
    >I thought windows needs a 'time' server, not a 'ntp' server for its
    >synchronizing?

    It's not my system clock that needs the synchronising (btw - I use
    Atomic Clock for that via 132.163.4.102), it's my World Clock.

    Donchano, Oct 2, 2009
  5. On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 10:25:47 +1200, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
    <> wrote in

    > Can someone give me an ntp address for a loal server that is
    > automatically adjusted for NZ daylight saving.
    >
    > I've tried msltime.irl.cri.nz but it does not appear to follow the
    > daylight saving protocol.
    >
    > I'm using DS Clock: details at
    >
    > http://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/?about?version=2.2r

    Have you tried ntp.massey.ac.nz?

    --
    - Nicolaas

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 2, 2009
  6. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > Can someone give me an ntp address for a loal server that is
    > automatically adjusted for NZ daylight saving.
    >
    > I've tried msltime.irl.cri.nz but it does not appear to follow the
    > daylight saving protocol.
    >
    > I'm using DS Clock: details at
    >
    > http://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/?about?version=2.2r

    nz.pool.ntp.org

    Sailor Sam, Oct 3, 2009
  7. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Sailor Sam wrote:
    > Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    >> Can someone give me an ntp address for a loal server that is
    >> automatically adjusted for NZ daylight saving.
    >>
    >> I've tried msltime.irl.cri.nz but it does not appear to follow the
    >> daylight saving protocol.
    >>
    >> I'm using DS Clock: details at
    >>
    >> http://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/?about?version=2.2r

    > nz.pool.ntp.org

    Scratch that, they're set to UTC.

    Sailor Sam, Oct 3, 2009
  8. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 11:30:30 +1300
    > Donchano <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 10:25:47 +1200,
    > > "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> shouted
    > > from the highest rooftop:
    > >
    > > >Can someone give me an ntp address for a loal server that is
    > > >automatically adjusted for NZ daylight saving.
    > > >
    > > >I've tried msltime.irl.cri.nz but it does not appear to follow the
    > > >daylight saving protocol.
    > > >
    > > >I'm using DS Clock: details at
    > > >
    > > >http://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/?about?version=2.2r

    > > Excellent question. My MS system clock has automatically adjusted to
    > > NZ daylight savings time (I downloaded the MS patch), but I cannot get
    > > my World Clock to reflect this despite synchronising time using
    > > time-a.nist.gov .
    > >
    > > I'll be watching this space.

    > Hi
    > I thought windows needs a 'time' server, not a 'ntp' server for its
    > synchronizing?

    One and the same.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 3, 2009
  9. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Can someone give me an ntp address for a loal server that is
    > automatically adjusted for NZ daylight saving.
    >
    > I've tried msltime.irl.cri.nz but it does not appear to follow the
    > daylight saving protocol.
    >
    > I'm using DS Clock: details at
    >
    > http://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/?about?version=2.2r

    Is there a reason? You may find such a server hard to find - they all
    run on Zulu/UTC time.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 3, 2009
  10. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    J Brockley Guest

    "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Can someone give me an ntp address for a loal server that is
    > automatically adjusted for NZ daylight saving.
    >
    > I've tried msltime.irl.cri.nz but it does not appear to follow the
    > daylight saving protocol.
    >
    > I'm using DS Clock: details at
    >
    > http://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/?about?version=2.2r

    Don't all these just send out a correct time based on GMT and its up to the
    client to apply the offset?

    J Brockley, Oct 3, 2009
  11. On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 10:25:47 +1200,
    "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> wrote:

    >Can someone give me an ntp address for a loal server that is
    >automatically adjusted for NZ daylight saving.
    >
    >I've tried msltime.irl.cri.nz but it does not appear to follow the
    >daylight saving protocol.
    >
    >I'm using DS Clock: details at
    >
    >http://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/?about?version=2.2r

    That link implies you are using version 2.2. Maybe version 2.3 works
    correctly, as it says it uses the daylight saving time settings from
    Windows. And Windows has had updates for the changes to NZ daylight
    saving. I just installed 2.3 and it is working fine under Vista. It
    synced to the U.Melbourne ntp server (ntp.cs.mu.oz.au) just fine.

    Time servers normally are UTC time - they never change for daylight
    saving. The program using the time server data is responsible for
    adjusting from UTC to local time, including any daylight saving.

    Stephen Worthington, Oct 3, 2009
  12. On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 12:41:15 +1300, "J Brockley"
    <> wrote:

    >"Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> Can someone give me an ntp address for a loal server that is
    >> automatically adjusted for NZ daylight saving.
    >>
    >> I've tried msltime.irl.cri.nz but it does not appear to follow the
    >> daylight saving protocol.
    >>
    >> I'm using DS Clock: details at
    >>
    >> http://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/?about?version=2.2r

    >Don't all these just send out a correct time based on GMT and its up to the
    >client to apply the offset?

    GMT is history - it is no longer an available time standard. The time
    standard is UTC. GMT was retired many years ago now.

    Stephen Worthington, Oct 3, 2009
  13. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Malcolm Guest

    On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 12:31:29 +1300
    Dave Doe <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 11:30:30 +1300
    > > Donchano <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 10:25:47 +1200,
    > > > "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <>
    > > > shouted from the highest rooftop:

    > > > Excellent question. My MS system clock has automatically adjusted
    > > > to NZ daylight savings time (I downloaded the MS patch), but I
    > > > cannot get my World Clock to reflect this despite synchronising
    > > > time using time-a.nist.gov .
    > > >
    > > > I'll be watching this space.

    > > Hi
    > > I thought windows needs a 'time' server, not a 'ntp' server for its
    > > synchronizing?

    > One and the same.

    Hi
    I meant the Time protocol (port 37) as opposed to NTP (port 123) :)

    http://freestone-group.com/fg-time-sync.htm uses time....

    Malcolm, Oct 3, 2009
  14. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Enkidu Guest

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:

    > Can someone give me an ntp address for a local server that is
    > automatically adjusted for NZ daylight saving.
    >
    > I've tried msltime.irl.cri.nz but it does not appear to follow the
    > daylight saving protocol.
    >
    > I'm using DS Clock: details at
    >
    > http://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/?about?version=2.2r

    NTP servers only provide a time reference. Think of it as UTC or what
    used to be GMT. They don't provide an offset or DST variations.

    It is up to your system and the time settings in it to determine what
    the local time is (including any DST or other offsets).

    You might be missing a TZ update.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 3, 2009
  15. Re: NZ Time Server Problem Solved

    I D/L and applied Windows Daylight Savngs Fix and updated my
    version of DSClock.

    I now feel I'm with it!

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Oct 3, 2009
  16. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Donchano Guest

    Re: NZ Time Server Problem Solved

    On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 14:53:16 +1300,
    "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    > I D/L and applied Windows Daylight Savngs Fix and updated my
    >version of DSClock.
    >
    > I now feel I'm with it!

    Since my system clock changed to DST automatically and World Clock
    hasn't, I can only assume that the problem is with WC. But I'll wait
    until tomorrow because the old NZ-DST date was the first Sunday in
    October and WC may be configured for that date. If not, I'll manually
    change the bloody thing.

    Donchano, Oct 3, 2009
  17. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Enkidu Guest

    Donchano wrote:
    > On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 14:53:16 +1300,
    > "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> shouted
    > from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> I D/L and applied Windows Daylight Savngs Fix and updated my
    >> version of DSClock.
    >>
    >> I now feel I'm with it!

    > Since my system clock changed to DST automatically and World Clock
    > hasn't, I can only assume that the problem is with WC. But I'll wait
    > until tomorrow because the old NZ-DST date was the first Sunday in
    > October and WC may be configured for that date. If not, I'll manually
    > change the bloody thing.

    Or get the latest version of WorldClock with the changes in it?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 3, 2009
  18. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Donchano Guest

    Re: NZ Time Server Problem Solved

    On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 17:46:56 +1300, Enkidu <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Donchano wrote:
    >> On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 14:53:16 +1300,
    >> "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> shouted
    >> from the highest rooftop:
    >>
    >>> I D/L and applied Windows Daylight Savngs Fix and updated my
    >>> version of DSClock.
    >>>
    >>> I now feel I'm with it!

    >> Since my system clock changed to DST automatically and World Clock
    >> hasn't, I can only assume that the problem is with WC. But I'll wait
    >> until tomorrow because the old NZ-DST date was the first Sunday in
    >> October and WC may be configured for that date. If not, I'll manually
    >> change the bloody thing.
    >>

    >Or get the latest version of WorldClock with the changes in it?

    Thanks, Cliff. Been there, done that. Got the latest version, but no
    changes - to date. Tomorrow is when all will be revealed..

    Donchano, Oct 3, 2009
  19. Re: NZ Time Server Problem Solved

    On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 22:37:41 +1300, Donchano
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 17:46:56 +1300, Enkidu <>
    >shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>Donchano wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 14:53:16 +1300,
    >>> "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> shouted
    >>> from the highest rooftop:

    >>> Since my system clock changed to DST automatically and World Clock
    >>> hasn't, I can only assume that the problem is with WC. But I'll wait
    >>> until tomorrow because the old NZ-DST date was the first Sunday in
    >>> October and WC may be configured for that date. If not, I'll manually
    >>> change the bloody thing.
    >>>

    >>Or get the latest version of WorldClock with the changes in it?

    >Thanks, Cliff. Been there, done that. Got the latest version, but no
    >changes - to date. Tomorrow is when all will be revealed..

    What version of Windows are you running? It is Windows that does
    daylight saving changes, not user programs, unless you are back on
    98/me or before. You do need to ensure you have the latest timezone
    patch from Microsoft installed, but you should have had that from last
    year (or was it the year before).

    Stephen Worthington, Oct 3, 2009
  20. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Donchano Guest

    Re: NZ Time Server Problem Solved

    On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 02:06:39 +1300, Stephen Worthington
    <34.nz56.remove_numbers> shouted from the highest
    rooftop:

    >On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 22:37:41 +1300, Donchano
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 17:46:56 +1300, Enkidu <>
    >>shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>>Or get the latest version of WorldClock with the changes in it?

    >>Thanks, Cliff. Been there, done that. Got the latest version, but no
    >>changes - to date. Tomorrow is when all will be revealed..

    >What version of Windows are you running? It is Windows that does
    >daylight saving changes, not user programs, unless you are back on
    >98/me or before. You do need to ensure you have the latest timezone
    >patch from Microsoft installed, but you should have had that from last
    >year (or was it the year before).

    I'm running XPpro SP3. As I mentioned earlier, my system clock made
    the switch to DST automatically. I'd already downloaded and installed
    the first MS update patch followed the second last year. The problem
    is with WorldClock and the time it displays in my title bars, which is
    an hour earlier than it should be.

    Even though I have the latest version of WC I was hoping that the
    problem might be with WC not having updated the new DST settings and
    would switch over to DST this morning because the first Sunday in
    October used to be the date for the switch. But it hasn't, so I'm
    going to have to manually change the time.

    Donchano, Oct 3, 2009