NZ Telecom have a 3rd rate system

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by j_luckhurst@hotmail.com, Jan 30, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Today I got so fed up with my internet connection. I just had to
    express myself...

    I am sick to death with the sub standard system Telecom New Zealand
    have in place. If you live just outside of the major cities you are
    screwed. I'm lucky on a good day to get a connection of 20kb's per
    second. What is the point of me having a 56kb modem if your never ever
    likely to see that speed(which today isnt asking much). What a joke
    seeing 3rd world countries now have better speeds then us. I can't even
    get broadband because guess again the lines are too shit for it...

    They have cop-outs as well... They will only investigate if the line
    drops below 12kb's. And most of the time you have to prove it and then
    they use an excusses like an electric fence is on. When we all know the
    exchanges are old and the lines are degraded.

    Wake-up Telecom NZ and fix the problems don't hide behind excusses.
    It's not as if you don't have the money with record profits being
    taken. The line rents are indeed for lines & upgrades not profits.

    And yes I could indeed go wireless for extra money. But that is
    blackmail... It's a bit like saying I'll cut your legs off but you can
    always use your arms for walking...

    I don't like blackmail!!!

    Here is an interesting fact in the late 1990's New Zealand had one of
    the best internet connection statistics til the government sold off
    telecom nz. Now it is on par if not behind 3rd world countries.
    , Jan 30, 2006

  2. Fred Dagg Guest

    On 29 Jan 2006 18:33:30 -0800, exclaimed:

    >Here is an interesting fact in the late 1990's New Zealand had one of
    >the best internet connection statistics til the government sold off
    >telecom nz. Now it is on par if not behind 3rd world countries.

    Um, while I agree with the sentiment, Labour sold off Telecom in
    1990...

    Xtra wasn't even formed until 1996.
    Fred Dagg, Jan 30, 2006

  3. Mutley Guest

    wrote:

    >Today I got so fed up with my internet connection. I just had to
    >express myself...
    >
    >I am sick to death with the sub standard system Telecom New Zealand
    >have in place. If you live just outside of the major cities you are
    >screwed. I'm lucky on a good day to get a connection of 20kb's per
    >second. What is the point of me having a 56kb modem if your never ever
    >likely to see that speed(which today isnt asking much). What a joke
    >seeing 3rd world countries now have better speeds then us. I can't even
    >get broadband because guess again the lines are too shit for it...
    >
    >They have cop-outs as well... They will only investigate if the line
    >drops below 12kb's. And most of the time you have to prove it and then
    >they use an excusses like an electric fence is on. When we all know the
    >exchanges are old and the lines are degraded.
    >
    >Wake-up Telecom NZ and fix the problems don't hide behind excusses.
    >It's not as if you don't have the money with record profits being
    >taken. The line rents are indeed for lines & upgrades not profits.
    >
    >And yes I could indeed go wireless for extra money. But that is
    >blackmail... It's a bit like saying I'll cut your legs off but you can
    >always use your arms for walking...
    >
    >I don't like blackmail!!!
    >
    >Here is an interesting fact in the late 1990's New Zealand had one of
    >the best internet connection statistics til the government sold off
    >telecom nz. Now it is on par if not behind 3rd world countries.

    It was actually sold off in the early 1990s. Maybe you should move
    the city..
    Mutley, Jan 30, 2006
  4. On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:33:30 -0800, j_luckhurst wrote:

    > Wake-up Telecom NZ and fix the problems don't hide behind excusses.
    > It's not as if you don't have the money with record profits being
    > taken. The line rents are indeed for lines & upgrades not profits.

    You are mistaken.

    The line rentals are for profits. Telecom has no intention of replacing
    equipment unless you, yes *you*, pay for the replacement.

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    A year after Bill Gates' company wide email on security, Windows was hit
    with several nasty worms including Slammer, Sobig, and Blaster. The viruses
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Jan 30, 2006

  5. > I am sick to death with the sub standard system Telecom New Zealand
    > have in place. If you live just outside of the major cities you are
    > screwed. I'm lucky on a good day to get a connection of 20kb's per
    > second. What is the point of me having a 56kb modem if your never ever
    > likely to see that speed(which today isnt asking much). What a joke
    > seeing 3rd world countries now have better speeds then us. I can't even
    > get broadband because guess again the lines are too shit for it...

    Have you tried a different brand of modem? There are lots of different types
    of Modems out there which all behave quite differently on differnt lines.
    When I used to live in Whangarei I lived in about 5 different places and
    I had 5 different externals and they all gave different results (or didn't
    work
    at all at different places)

    Thanks
    Craig
    Craig Whitmore, Jan 30, 2006
  6. DakaR Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:

    >> I am sick to death with the sub standard system Telecom New Zealand
    >> have in place. If you live just outside of the major cities you are
    >> screwed. I'm lucky on a good day to get a connection of 20kb's per
    >> second. What is the point of me having a 56kb modem if your never ever
    >> likely to see that speed(which today isnt asking much). What a joke
    >> seeing 3rd world countries now have better speeds then us. I can't even
    >> get broadband because guess again the lines are too shit for it...

    > Have you tried a different brand of modem? There are lots of different
    > types of Modems out there which all behave quite differently on differnt
    > lines. When I used to live in Whangarei I lived in about 5 different
    > places and I had 5 different externals and they all gave different results
    > (or didn't work
    > at all at different places)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig

    The other thing that sometimes works is to put the actual dns and sns
    numbers in rather than leaving it at automatic.
    DakaR, Jan 30, 2006
  7. >
    > The other thing that sometimes works is to put the actual dns and sns
    > numbers in rather than leaving it at automatic.

    This will make 0% difference in the connection rate.

    Thanks
    Craig
    Craig Whitmore, Jan 30, 2006
  8. DakaR Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:

    >> The other thing that sometimes works is to put the actual dns and sns
    >> numbers in rather than leaving it at automatic.

    > This will make 0% difference in the connection rate.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig

    Try it,,, it can effect the stability a lot and because the modem doesn't
    have to constantly handshake it can make a lot of difference.
    DakaR, Jan 30, 2006
  9. Nho Whei Guest

    On 29 Jan 2006 18:33:30 -0800, wrote:

    >Today I got so fed up with my internet connection. I just had to
    >express myself...
    >
    >I am sick to death with the sub standard system Telecom New Zealand
    >have in place. If you live just outside of the major cities you are
    >screwed. I'm lucky on a good day to get a connection of 20kb's per
    >second. What is the point of me having a 56kb modem if your never ever
    >likely to see that speed(which today isnt asking much). What a joke
    >seeing 3rd world countries now have better speeds then us. I can't even
    >get broadband because guess again the lines are too shit for it...
    >
    >They have cop-outs as well... They will only investigate if the line
    >drops below 12kb's. And most of the time you have to prove it and then
    >they use an excusses like an electric fence is on. When we all know the
    >exchanges are old and the lines are degraded.
    >
    >Wake-up Telecom NZ and fix the problems don't hide behind excusses.
    >It's not as if you don't have the money with record profits being
    >taken. The line rents are indeed for lines & upgrades not profits.
    >
    >And yes I could indeed go wireless for extra money. But that is
    >blackmail... It's a bit like saying I'll cut your legs off but you can
    >always use your arms for walking...
    >
    >I don't like blackmail!!!
    >
    >Here is an interesting fact in the late 1990's New Zealand had one of
    >the best internet connection statistics til the government sold off
    >telecom nz. Now it is on par if not behind 3rd world countries.

    Hi - and sympathies etc.
    However, you might want to say what brand/model of modem you have.
    Some here will possibly advise how to then optimize settings - or
    recommend a change of modem.
    Good luck
    Nho Whei, Jan 30, 2006
  10. Stu Fleming Guest

    DakaR wrote:

    > Try it,,, it can effect the stability a lot and because the modem doesn't
    > have to constantly handshake it can make a lot of difference.

    Not having the service provider drop your connection on the floor after
    rehosting their servers on a Sunday night makes a world of difference too...
    Stu Fleming, Jan 30, 2006
  11. Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Today I got so fed up with my internet connection. I just had to
    > express myself...
    >
    > I am sick to death with the sub standard system Telecom New Zealand
    > have in place. If you live just outside of the major cities you are
    > screwed. I'm lucky on a good day to get a connection of 20kb's per
    > second. What is the point of me having a 56kb modem if your never ever
    > likely to see that speed(which today isnt asking much). What a joke
    > seeing 3rd world countries now have better speeds then us. I can't even
    > get broadband because guess again the lines are too shit for it...

    56k modems rely on a very good line connection. If you are too far from
    the exchange you are unlikely to get anything faster than 28 or 33k
    Living in a major city I rarely get more than 40-44k with a 56k modem.

    > They have cop-outs as well... They will only investigate if the line
    > drops below 12kb's. And most of the time you have to prove it and then
    > they use an excusses like an electric fence is on. When we all know the
    > exchanges are old and the lines are degraded.
    >
    > Wake-up Telecom NZ and fix the problems don't hide behind excusses.
    > It's not as if you don't have the money with record profits being
    > taken. The line rents are indeed for lines & upgrades not profits.
    >
    > And yes I could indeed go wireless for extra money. But that is
    > blackmail... It's a bit like saying I'll cut your legs off but you can
    > always use your arms for walking...
    >
    > I don't like blackmail!!!
    >
    > Here is an interesting fact in the late 1990's New Zealand had one of
    > the best internet connection statistics til the government sold off
    > telecom nz. Now it is on par if not behind 3rd world countries.

    Fact? What fact?
    Telecom was sold in 1988 so your timeline is way off. Before that time
    of course the Internet was virtually non existent in NZ.

    If the lines network is offered to all and sundry, rural users aren't
    likely to see any substantial improvement as companies will focus on the
    higher profit margins of urban operations. The kiwishare arrangement
    currently protects rural services.
    Rob J, Jan 30, 2006
  12. wrote:

    > Today I got so fed up with my internet connection. I just had to
    > express myself...

    Where do you live,you do not have to use Xtra wireless.
    Suggestion,when your line is up,Google community wireless.
    Lots and lots of ideas there.
    Google, Cringly,see how he got broad band,when out of the
    ADSL,area.
    Complaining to or about Telecom is a waste of energy,why
    butt heads,go around instead.
    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Jan 30, 2006
  13. steve Guest

    wrote:

    > I am sick to death with the sub standard system Telecom New Zealand
    > have in place. If you live just outside of the major cities you are
    > screwed. I'm lucky on a good day to get a connection of 20kb's per
    > second. What is the point of me having a 56kb modem if your never ever
    > likely to see that speed(which today isnt asking much). What a joke
    > seeing 3rd world countries now have better speeds then us. I can't even
    > get broadband because guess again the lines are too shit for it...

    A big problem in the country is farmers who don't know how to properly
    construct and maintain electric fences.

    There isn't much Telecom can do about it.

    My fences don't interfere with the phone, but I spend a fair bit of time
    clearing any possible shorts and I invested in a proper earth setup to
    start with.......as well as keeping my main feed line well away from the
    road where I know the Telecom line runs parallel.

    My main line runs up the back of the farm and dips across each several
    paddocks towards the road in a series of "claws".....instead of one long
    line at the road, running parallel to the phone lines.
    steve, Jan 30, 2006
  14. Richard Guest

    DakaR wrote:

    > Try it,,, it can effect the stability a lot and because the modem doesn't
    > have to constantly handshake it can make a lot of difference.

    Thats BS stright from the ISP cop-out manual. You sure you dont work for orcon
    and think that it will solve bad packet loss?

    If the connection is in such a poor state that the DNS cant be assigned, then
    nothing will work at all thru it.

    If the ISP isnt assigning the DNS, then they have a problem they need to fix,
    not you. Its not like PPP is a new protocol or anything, being around forever
    and is very well understood these days.
    Richard, Jan 30, 2006
  15. DakaR Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > DakaR wrote:
    >

    >> Try it,,, it can effect the stability a lot and because the modem
    >> doesn't
    >> have to constantly handshake it can make a lot of difference.

    > Thats BS stright from the ISP cop-out manual. You sure you dont work for
    > orcon and think that it will solve bad packet loss?
    >
    > If the connection is in such a poor state that the DNS cant be assigned,
    > then nothing will work at all thru it.
    >
    > If the ISP isnt assigning the DNS, then they have a problem they need to
    > fix, not you. Its not like PPP is a new protocol or anything, being around
    > forever and is very well understood these days.

    You do know the difference between can and will don't you. I suggested
    something that can sometimes work and has done in my experience. Don't be
    so fucking anal that you can't see beyond your own arsehole.
    DakaR, Jan 30, 2006
  16. Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:26:38 +1300, DakaR <>
    exclaimed:

    >Richard wrote:
    >
    >> DakaR wrote:
    >>

    >>> Try it,,, it can effect the stability a lot and because the modem
    >>> doesn't
    >>> have to constantly handshake it can make a lot of difference.

    >> Thats BS stright from the ISP cop-out manual. You sure you dont work for
    >> orcon and think that it will solve bad packet loss?
    >>
    >> If the connection is in such a poor state that the DNS cant be assigned,
    >> then nothing will work at all thru it.
    >>
    >> If the ISP isnt assigning the DNS, then they have a problem they need to
    >> fix, not you. Its not like PPP is a new protocol or anything, being around
    >> forever and is very well understood these days.

    > You do know the difference between can and will don't you. I suggested
    >something that can sometimes work and has done in my experience. Don't be
    >so fucking anal that you can't see beyond your own arsehole.

    Um, DakaR, people were trying to be polite, but the fact is, you're
    talking through *your* arsehole.

    Simply put, what you are saying is bullshit.

    (Sorry, but you started it).
    Fred Dagg, Jan 30, 2006
  17. > Try it,,, it can effect the stability a lot and because the modem doesn't
    > have to constantly handshake it can make a lot of difference.

    I will repeat:

    Manually setting the DNS will make 0% difference in the physical connection
    rate.

    Its like this (very simple exp)
    Dial Number, Wait, Connect. Start PPP Send Login/Password. Authenticate, Get
    send IP Address and DNS. Surf

    The Speed you connect is done at the Connect stage, so manually setting the
    DNS will make 0% difference in the physical speed of the connection (thats
    we are talking about). and manually setting the DNS will have no affect on
    this.

    Thanks
    Craig
    Craig Whitmore, Jan 30, 2006