NZ supplier of Compaq\HP spares?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by DoggNZ, Nov 23, 2004.

  1. DoggNZ

    DoggNZ Guest

    DoggNZ, Nov 23, 2004

  2. DoggNZ

    DaveG Guest

    DoggNZ wrote:
    > Anyone know anywhere in NZ that does older Compaq\HP parts? We used to
    > use Compaq Care (Datacom) but they no longer do that kind of thing
    > since Visual Group took over HP's repairs.
    >
    > --
    > BOINC SETI
    > http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/stats.php?userID=1469&trans=off

    I managed to get a new replacement redundant PSU for a Proliant 3000
    through Computers at Work in Taupo, about a year ago.

    DaveG, Nov 23, 2004

  3. DoggNZ

    Mutlley Guest

    DaveG <> wrote:

    >DoggNZ wrote:
    >> Anyone know anywhere in NZ that does older Compaq\HP parts? We used to
    >> use Compaq Care (Datacom) but they no longer do that kind of thing
    >> since Visual Group took over HP's repairs.
    >>
    >> --
    >> BOINC SETI
    >> http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/stats.php?userID=1469&trans=off

    >I managed to get a new replacement redundant PSU for a Proliant 3000
    >through Computers at Work in Taupo, about a year ago.

    Good luck trying to get Compaq spares. The suppliers seemed to have
    vanished. I have a deskpro sitting beside me with a dead PSU. Can't
    find a source for replacement.. The old suppliers never reply to
    emails..

    Mutlley, Nov 24, 2004
  4. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:18:47 +1300, DoggNZ <>
    says...

    > Anyone know anywhere in NZ that does older Compaq\HP parts? We used to
    > use Compaq Care (Datacom) but they no longer do that kind of thing
    > since Visual Group took over HP's repairs.

    You must be kidding

    Alan Leftwing knows about how hard it is to get parts for the HP M50
    monitor like the one I am looking at right now :)

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 24, 2004
  5. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:12:03 +1300, Mutlley <> says...
    > DaveG <> wrote:
    >
    > >DoggNZ wrote:
    > >> Anyone know anywhere in NZ that does older Compaq\HP parts? We used to
    > >> use Compaq Care (Datacom) but they no longer do that kind of thing
    > >> since Visual Group took over HP's repairs.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> BOINC SETI
    > >> http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/stats.php?userID=1469&trans=off

    > >I managed to get a new replacement redundant PSU for a Proliant 3000
    > >through Computers at Work in Taupo, about a year ago.

    > Good luck trying to get Compaq spares. The suppliers seemed to have
    > vanished. I have a deskpro sitting beside me with a dead PSU. Can't
    > find a source for replacement.. The old suppliers never reply to
    > emails..

    I never tried to get power supplies for a dozen dead Deskpros, at 6 years
    old they would be impossible to get parts for and uneconomic as well

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 24, 2004
  6. DoggNZ

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:19:47 +1300, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >In article <> in nz.comp on
    >Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:18:47 +1300, DoggNZ <>
    >says...
    >>
    >> Anyone know anywhere in NZ that does older Compaq\HP parts? We used to
    >> use Compaq Care (Datacom) but they no longer do that kind of thing
    >> since Visual Group took over HP's repairs.

    >You must be kidding

    <snip>

    No

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Nov 24, 2004
  7. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:04:58 +1300, DoggNZ <>
    says...
    > On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:19:47 +1300, Patrick Dunford
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <> in nz.comp on
    > >Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:18:47 +1300, DoggNZ <>
    > >says...
    > >>
    > >> Anyone know anywhere in NZ that does older Compaq\HP parts? We used to
    > >> use Compaq Care (Datacom) but they no longer do that kind of thing
    > >> since Visual Group took over HP's repairs.

    > >You must be kidding
    > >

    > <snip>
    >
    > No

    Well honestly I don't think HP in particular has the slightest interest
    in keeping parts available for machines beyond a minimum period. And not
    for old Compaq hardware that they dumped when they merged.

    HP has gone down a lot in my estimation in recent years - starting from
    the Deskjet 400 fiasco and other penny pinching in their budget line of
    home PCs.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 24, 2004
  8. DoggNZ

    Mutlley Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote:

    >In article <> in nz.comp on
    >Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:12:03 +1300, Mutlley <> says...
    >> DaveG <> wrote:

    >> >I managed to get a new replacement redundant PSU for a Proliant 3000
    >> >through Computers at Work in Taupo, about a year ago.

    >> Good luck trying to get Compaq spares. The suppliers seemed to have
    >> vanished. I have a deskpro sitting beside me with a dead PSU. Can't
    >> find a source for replacement.. The old suppliers never reply to
    >> emails..

    >I never tried to get power supplies for a dozen dead Deskpros, at 6 years
    >old they would be impossible to get parts for and uneconomic as well

    This desk pro is only 3 years old.. We have already replaced 4 PSUs in
    4 PCs to date. We still have another 4 PCs to die plus the one that
    is dead.

    Mutlley, Nov 24, 2004
  9. DoggNZ

    Edmund Good Guest

    On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:36:43 +1300, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    >Well honestly I don't think HP in particular has the slightest interest
    >in keeping parts available for machines beyond a minimum period. And not
    >for old Compaq hardware that they dumped when they merged.

    It's called cost cutting :) Ever since the merger HP has been singing the
    cost cutting song. Personally I think it is wrong, they should be growing
    revenue.

    >HP has gone down a lot in my estimation in recent years - starting from
    >the Deskjet 400 fiasco and other penny pinching in their budget line of
    >home PCs.

    HP produce crap, I worked for the former repairer of HP/Compaq monitors (we
    told HP to find someone else, it was just not worth while doing the repairs
    any more - OEMs were pushing down the price they were willing to pay for the
    repair and spare parts became harder and harder to get). They were willing to
    use OEM's that would produce cheap monitors - ie build to a price and as a
    consequence they were not the most reliable or good (in terms of specs)
    monitors. I've been told that currently the Visual Group technicians are
    replacing signal cables in AKL on a thousand monitors and the number of
    monitors that I know of that have "issues" is incredible - just about every
    one we were responsible for had some minor (and not so minor) issue that had
    to be corrected while in for service.

    They all produce crap.

    Edmund

    Edmund Good, Nov 28, 2004
  10. DoggNZ

    Damon Nomad Guest

    On , , Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:36:43 +1300, Re: NZ supplier of
    Compaq\HP spares?, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >HP has gone down a lot in my estimation in recent years - starting from
    >the Deskjet 400 fiasco

    What was wrong with the DJ400? I have several that work OK.

    Damon Nomad, Nov 28, 2004