NZ Schools give OSS a big tick

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mike Dee, Jul 19, 2005.

  1. Mike Dee

    Mike Dee Guest

    <QUOTE>
    Schools ink deal for open source
    By REUBEN SCHWARZ

    The Education Ministry has signed an 18-month software licensing deal
    with Novell New Zealand, the ministry's first deal to provide open
    source software to schools.

    It includes Novell's SUSE distribution of the Linux desktop operating
    system.

    The Novell deals lets schools buy software for the same cost as
    Microsoft products, about $99 per product per server for a year-long
    licence.

    The ministry's senior ICT consultant, Douglas Harre, says it is meant
    to equalise prices of Microsoft and Novell products.

    "What we want to do is level the playing field," he says. "Novell's
    numbers have been trending downward in the face of Microsoft software,
    and in schools that has been exacerbated by the fact that there's been
    a Microsoft deal for schools but not a Novell deal.

    "If schools want to have a Linux desktop now they can have one from a
    major international corporation with the support that brings rather
    than a free copy of (Linux distribution) Mandrake."

    The SUSE Linux operating system is packaged with open source Internet
    browser Firefox and Microsoft Office rival OpenOffice.

    The deal covers both open source and proprietary products from Novell.
    Proprietary products include Novell's Open Enterprise Server, asset
    management tool ZENworks, email and calendar program Groupwise and
    network security software BorderManager.

    The ministry won't comment on the cost of the contract. Its three-year
    licensing contract with Microsoft, Apple and Computer Associates signed
    last year was worth $27.5 million.
    </QUOTE>

    Remainder of article:
    <http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3348057a28,00.html>

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Jul 19, 2005

  2. Mike Dee

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Mike Dee <> wrote in news:Xns9698CB12AC57Femteedee@
    130.225.247.90:

    > The deal covers both open source and proprietary products from Novell.
    > Proprietary products include Novell's Open Enterprise Server, asset
    > management tool ZENworks, email and calendar program Groupwise and
    > network security software BorderManager.

    YAY.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jul 19, 2005

  3. Mike Dee

    Rob J Guest

    On 19 Jul 2005 09:58:18 GMT, Mike Dee <> wrote:

    ><QUOTE>
    >Schools ink deal for open source
    >By REUBEN SCHWARZ
    >
    >The Education Ministry has signed an 18-month software licensing deal
    >with Novell New Zealand, the ministry's first deal to provide open
    >source software to schools.

    But as you can see it is not a OSS deal - it is a Novell deal that
    includes both OSS and proprietary software.
    Rob J, Jul 19, 2005
  4. Mike Dee

    thingy Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > On 19 Jul 2005 09:58:18 GMT, Mike Dee <> wrote:
    >

    >><QUOTE>
    >>Schools ink deal for open source
    >>By REUBEN SCHWARZ
    >>
    >>The Education Ministry has signed an 18-month software licensing deal
    >>with Novell New Zealand, the ministry's first deal to provide open
    >>source software to schools.

    > But as you can see it is not a OSS deal - it is a Novell deal that
    > includes both OSS and proprietary software.

    Lots of expensive extras in Suse, not sure if the $99 is for the lot or
    just the base OS.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jul 19, 2005