    that hurts !!!!!!!!!!!!

    anyone know of a cheaper way in new zealand ?

    andy.
    andy, Feb 21, 2004

  2. In news: 1457901c3f83c$6b128d50$,
    andy <> wrote:
    > In new zealand I can attend a 14-week course that covers
    > all papers and exams for a cost of $11,000 ($ new zealand
    > dollars).
    >
    > anyone know of a cheaper way in new zealand ?

    Hi Andy,

    Can you buy some books and study on your own? You'll still need to pay for
    the exams, but the total cost (books plus exams) will be much less.

    www.cindywinegarden.com
    Cindy Winegarden, Feb 22, 2004

  3. andy

    Eric Guest

    andy wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > In new zealand I can attend a 14-week course that covers
    > all papers and exams for a cost of $11,000 ($ new zealand
    > dollars).
    >
    > that hurts !!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > anyone know of a cheaper way in new zealand ?
    >
    > andy.

    What's the exchange rate between NZ and US dollars? That sounds real
    cheap to me for 14 weeks - I guess this is parttime?

    Are we talking about the ASP.NET test? Or are you including other
    tests, also?

    I agree that 14 weeks is a good timeframe. If you go any faster than
    this your head will spin.

    What language do you want to use? The books from Amit Kalani are pretty
    good for 70-315.

    Some people here recommend the Mike Gundleroy book for 70-305.
    Eric, Feb 23, 2004
  4. andy

    Lorne Smith Guest

    <Eric> wrote in message news:eoYNaEl#...
    > andy wrote:
    >
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > In new zealand I can attend a 14-week course that covers
    > > all papers and exams for a cost of $11,000 ($ new zealand
    > > dollars).
    > >
    > > that hurts !!!!!!!!!!!!
    > >
    > > anyone know of a cheaper way in new zealand ?
    > >
    > > andy.

    > What's the exchange rate between NZ and US dollars? That sounds real
    > cheap to me for 14 weeks - I guess this is parttime?
    >
    > Are we talking about the ASP.NET test? Or are you including other
    > tests, also?
    >
    > I agree that 14 weeks is a good timeframe. If you go any faster than
    > this your head will spin.
    >
    > What language do you want to use? The books from Amit Kalani are pretty
    > good for 70-315.
    >
    > Some people here recommend the Mike Gundleroy book for 70-305.

    The Gunderloy book is exactly the same as the Kalani one, except for being
    in VB instead of C#... I have both... Even the examples, review notes,
    practice questions etc are the same... The main issue is knowing the .NET
    framework and it's classes.

    Lorne
    Lorne Smith, Feb 24, 2004
  5. andy

    Guest Guest

    hi there,

    How long would it take to do it on my own ? and what are
    the costs of the books ? Not even sure if they're
    available in new zealand ...

    If i could study on my own for a year and come out with
    the MCAD or MCSD for about a grand, I'd be very happy
    indeed.

    cheers for your respone. andy.

    Guest, Feb 24, 2004
  6. In news: 0bea01c3fb21$9e2cbb10$,
    <>
    wrote:
    >> Can you buy some books and study on your own? You'll still need to
    >> pay for the exams, but the total cost (books plus exams) will be
    >> much less.

    > How long would it take to do it on my own ?

    A lot depends on what your background is - how much experience in .NET do
    you already have?

    > and what are
    > the costs of the books ? Not even sure if they're
    > available in new zealand ...

    I don't know if you can order from Amazon, but I found an online bookseller
    based in NZ that carries the same variety of books:

    http://www.realgroovy.co.nz/index.asp?searchstring=MCSD&stype=bktitle&c=search&x=12&y=17

    www.cindywinegarden.com
    Cindy Winegarden, Feb 25, 2004
  7. andy

    Eric Guest

    Lorne Smith wrote:

    > The Gunderloy book is exactly the same as the Kalani one, except for
    > being in VB instead of C#... I have both... Even the examples,
    > review notes, practice questions etc are the same... The main issue
    > is knowing the .NET framework and it's classes.
    >
    > Lorne

    I think it was you who pointed this out to me once before, and I went
    to the bookstore to check into it. They sure do look similar!

    I was considering the Gunderloy 70-305 book before I started learning
    any .NET stuff, but I did some research on the web and saw a lot of
    people talking about the Kalani 70-315 book. So I bought that one, and
    I assumed the Gunderloy books were not as good. This was a bad
    assumption.

    I should have known better because I have read articles by Gunderloy
    and I've always been impressed by his ability to take a complex subject
    and simplify it down.

    Upon retrospect, something else occured to me. Maybe Mike Gundleroy was
    first with his books, and Amit Kalani merely ported the samples to C#?

    Regrardless of who came first, I can strongly recommend both of these
    books now!

    Eric
    Eric, Feb 25, 2004
  8. andy

    Lorne Smith Guest

    <Eric> wrote in message news:eUpcv38#...
    > Lorne Smith wrote:
    >
    > > The Gunderloy book is exactly the same as the Kalani one, except for
    > > being in VB instead of C#... I have both... Even the examples,
    > > review notes, practice questions etc are the same... The main issue
    > > is knowing the .NET framework and it's classes.
    > >
    > > Lorne

    > I think it was you who pointed this out to me once before, and I went
    > to the bookstore to check into it. They sure do look similar!
    >
    > I was considering the Gunderloy 70-305 book before I started learning
    > any .NET stuff, but I did some research on the web and saw a lot of
    > people talking about the Kalani 70-315 book. So I bought that one, and
    > I assumed the Gunderloy books were not as good. This was a bad
    > assumption.
    >
    > I should have known better because I have read articles by Gunderloy
    > and I've always been impressed by his ability to take a complex subject
    > and simplify it down.
    >
    > Upon retrospect, something else occured to me. Maybe Mike Gundleroy was
    > first with his books, and Amit Kalani merely ported the samples to C#?
    >
    > Regrardless of who came first, I can strongly recommend both of these
    > books now!
    >
    > Eric

    Indeed, I've asked that self same question... What I suspect happened is
    that both authors probably collaborated on producing the books...
    Lorne Smith, Feb 26, 2004