    husbands..

    Even when I rang the local Gray Power they could not believe it..
    , May 23, 2006

  2. Redbaiter Guest

    > So this is All Bull that the Labour Gov puts out, that the NZ Pension is not
    > Income and Asset Tested, it is, as most Wife's will be younger than their
    > husbands..
    >
    > Even when I rang the local Gray Power they could not believe it..

    Gray Power is just a Labour Party front, a bunch of quavering
    decrepit old collectivists and parasites, what more would you
    expect??
    Redbaiter, May 23, 2006

  3. Geopelia Guest

    "Redbaiter" <> wrote in message

    >> So this is All Bull that the Labour Gov puts out, that the NZ Pension is
    >> not
    >> Income and Asset Tested, it is, as most Wife's will be younger than
    >> their
    >> husbands..
    >>
    >> Even when I rang the local Gray Power they could not believe it..
    >>

    > Gray Power is just a Labour Party front, a bunch of quavering
    > decrepit old collectivists and parasites, what more would you
    > expect??

    Don't underestimate Grey Power. They try to keep all parties honest, and
    they have considerable voting power.

    The partner of pension age gets the single pension. The partner under that
    age is means tested, if working. So retire too, you can do all the things
    around the home that save you money, cooking, growing vegetables, making
    clothes etc.

    What is of more concern is that the person on a long term Sickness or
    Invalid's benefit is means tested, fair enough, but so is their partner.
    So a wife can't go back to work, (if she isn't needed full time to care for
    her husband), and earn money to get her husband's hip replacement, cataracts
    etc done privately, saving the Health system the cost.
    The benefit will be cut and they may be even worse off.

    What happens under this new civil union legislation? Perhaps a de facto
    partner is now treated as a wife and means tested?
    It will have stopped the good old "divorce and cohabit" that folks used to
    consider, though how many would actually have done that?
    Geopelia, May 23, 2006
  4. Guest

    On Tue, 23 May 2006 11:15:13 +1200, Redbaiter <> wrote:

    >> So this is All Bull that the Labour Gov puts out, that the NZ Pension is not
    >> Income and Asset Tested, it is, as most Wife's will be younger than their
    >> husbands..
    >>
    >> Even when I rang the local Gray Power they could not believe it..
    >>

    >Gray Power is just a Labour Party front, a bunch of quavering
    >decrepit old collectivists and parasites, what more would you
    >expect??

    And what are you on about..?
    , May 23, 2006
  5. s.te.v.e. Guest

    wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 May 2006 11:15:13 +1200, Redbaiter <>
    > wrote:

    >>> So this is All Bull that the Labour Gov puts out, that the NZ Pension
    >>> is not
    >>> Income and Asset Tested, it is, as most Wife's will be younger than
    >>> their husbands..
    >>>
    >>> Even when I rang the local Gray Power they could not believe it..
    >>>

    >>Gray Power is just a Labour Party front, a bunch of quavering
    >>decrepit old collectivists and parasites, what more would you
    >>expect??

    > And what are you on about..?

    He's a dribbler. Safely ignored.
    s.te.v.e., May 23, 2006
  6. Geopelia wrote:

    > The partner of pension age gets the single pension. The partner under that
    > age is means tested, if working. So retire too, you can do all the things
    > around the home that save you money, cooking, growing vegetables, making
    > clothes etc.

    How do they manage that on a single pension?
    Jason Fanning, May 23, 2006
  7. Sue Bilstein Guest

    On Tue, 23 May 2006 14:20:35 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >The partner of pension age gets the single pension. The partner under that
    >age is means tested, if working. So retire too, you can do all the things
    >around the home that save you money, cooking, growing vegetables, making
    >clothes etc.
    >
    >What is of more concern is that the person on a long term Sickness or
    >Invalid's benefit is means tested, fair enough, but so is their partner.
    >So a wife can't go back to work, (if she isn't needed full time to care for
    >her husband), and earn money to get her husband's hip replacement, cataracts
    >etc done privately, saving the Health system the cost.
    >The benefit will be cut and they may be even worse off.
    >
    >What happens under this new civil union legislation? Perhaps a de facto
    >partner is now treated as a wife and means tested?

    That is correct.

    >It will have stopped the good old "divorce and cohabit" that folks used to
    >consider, though how many would actually have done that?

    I don't think so - if you could pull it off convincingly, once
    divorced, you would not be in a relationship in the nature of
    marriage.
    Sue Bilstein, May 23, 2006
  8. Brian Dooley Guest

    On Tue, 23 May 2006 16:04:52 +1200,
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 23 May 2006 11:15:13 +1200, Redbaiter <> wrote:

    >>> So this is All Bull that the Labour Gov puts out, that the NZ Pension is not
    >>> Income and Asset Tested, it is, as most Wife's will be younger than their
    >>> husbands..
    >>>
    >>> Even when I rang the local Gray Power they could not believe it..
    >>>

    >>Gray Power is just a Labour Party front, a bunch of quavering
    >>decrepit old collectivists and parasites, what more would you
    >>expect??

    >And what are you on about..?

    Just his usual crap.
    --

    Brian Dooley

    Wellington New Zealand
    Brian Dooley, May 23, 2006
  9. Geopelia Guest

    "Jason Fanning" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >

    >> The partner of pension age gets the single pension. The partner under
    >> that age is means tested, if working. So retire too, you can do all the
    >> things around the home that save you money, cooking, growing vegetables,
    >> making clothes etc.
    >>

    > How do they manage that on a single pension?

    There is an small allowance for an underage partner who isn't working.

    It would be a question of whether it is still worth going to work for the
    tiny pittance left after the means testing, and paying fares or running a
    second car, business clothes, lunches, make-up, hairdos etc, or of making
    ends meet by doing all the things a wife at home has the time to do. Her
    expenses are far less, as she doesn't need to"keep up appearances".
    We managed with Hubby on the invalid benefit, and when we finally got the
    full pension we thought we were millionaires!
    Geopelia, May 23, 2006
  10. a_l_p Guest

    wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 May 2006 11:15:13 +1200, Redbaiter <> wrote:

    >>>So this is All Bull that the Labour Gov puts out, that the NZ Pension is not
    >>>Income and Asset Tested, it is, as most Wife's will be younger than their
    >>>husbands..
    >>>
    >>>Even when I rang the local Gray Power they could not believe it..
    >>>

    >>Gray Power is just a Labour Party front, a bunch of quavering
    >>decrepit old collectivists and parasites, what more would you
    >>expect??

    > And what are you on about..?

    Don't hassle him, he's having a Senior Moment.

    A L P
    a_l_p, May 23, 2006
  11. Robert Cooze Guest

    wrote:
    > NZ Pension Income and Asset Tested...
    >

    > If you are a Single Pensioner you can earn what you like, not Income and
    > Asset Tests, but only on the extra medical benefit, Disability allowance.
    >

    > But if your Wife is below 65 you are both Income and Asset Tested, you can
    > only earn as much as $80 gross total a week any thing over that is TAXED at
    > 90% in the $, 20% Income Tax and 70% Pension Tax.
    >
    > If your Wife is under 65 and earns her own full wage then the Pensioner is
    > not Income and Asset Tested, as she is not included in the Pension..
    >
    > So this is All Bull that the Labour Gov puts out, that the NZ Pension is not
    > Income and Asset Tested, it is, as most Wife's will be younger than their
    > husbands..
    >
    > Even when I rang the local Gray Power they could not believe it..

    IT all depends on how much strife you can give the case managers
    (unemploymnet/Pention/sickness) benifisuary its all the same to them but
    if you show up dayly and arround 2ish 4ish and get to be a pain some
    simes they realy do pay! Or put everything in trust and look as poor as
    you feel.

    Robert Cooze, May 23, 2006
  12. Guest

    On Tue, 23 May 2006 08:21:18 +0100, Jason Fanning <>
    wrote:

    >Geopelia wrote:
    >

    >> The partner of pension age gets the single pension. The partner under that
    >> age is means tested, if working. So retire too, you can do all the things
    >> around the home that save you money, cooking, growing vegetables, making
    >> clothes etc.
    >>

    >How do they manage that on a single pension?

    And how do people to that have a Disability or Heath Problems, or even ground
    that can grow Vegetables, I have a slipped Disc and not allowed to do any
    gardening work..
    , May 23, 2006
  13. Geopelia Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 23 May 2006 08:21:18 +0100, Jason Fanning <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Geopelia wrote:
    >>

    >>> The partner of pension age gets the single pension. The partner under
    >>> that
    >>> age is means tested, if working. So retire too, you can do all the
    >>> things
    >>> around the home that save you money, cooking, growing vegetables, making
    >>> clothes etc.
    >>>

    >>How do they manage that on a single pension?

    > And how do people to that have a Disability or Heath Problems, or even
    > ground
    > that can grow Vegetables, I have a slipped Disc and not allowed to do any
    > gardening work..

    I was talking about an older person who has an active partner, able to do
    all that, but who is too young for the pension.

    There is a lot of help available, through various services. Ask Social
    Welfare (I think they call it WINZ now) or Grey Power.
    You can get home help, lawn mowing etc.

    I'm sure somebody here can tell you who to contact and what allowances you
    can get.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, May 23, 2006
  14. Geopelia Guest

    "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> NZ Pension Income and Asset Tested...
    >>

    >> If you are a Single Pensioner you can earn what you like, not Income
    >> and
    >> Asset Tests, but only on the extra medical benefit, Disability allowance.
    >>

    >> But if your Wife is below 65 you are both Income and Asset Tested, you
    >> can
    >> only earn as much as $80 gross total a week any thing over that is TAXED
    >> at
    >> 90% in the $, 20% Income Tax and 70% Pension Tax.
    >>
    >> If your Wife is under 65 and earns her own full wage then the Pensioner
    >> is
    >> not Income and Asset Tested, as she is not included in the Pension..

    The pensioner is not tested, but the wife is, if working. She must decide if
    all the hassle of going out to work with all the expenses involved is really
    worth what she is allowed to keep.

    It is rather like a mother having to decide whether it is worth working for
    a very low wage and using child care, or remaining on the DPB to care for
    her child herself.
    Geopelia, May 23, 2006
  15. Guest

    On Wed, 24 May 2006 10:34:11 +1200, "Geopelia" <> wrote:

    >"Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>> NZ Pension Income and Asset Tested...
    >>>

    >>> If you are a Single Pensioner you can earn what you like, not Income
    >>> and
    >>> Asset Tests, but only on the extra medical benefit, Disability allowance.
    >>>

    >>> But if your Wife is below 65 you are both Income and Asset Tested, you
    >>> can
    >>> only earn as much as $80 gross total a week any thing over that is TAXED
    >>> at
    >>> 90% in the $, 20% Income Tax and 70% Pension Tax.
    >>>
    >>> If your Wife is under 65 and earns her own full wage then the Pensioner
    >>> is
    >>> not Income and Asset Tested, as she is not included in the Pension..

    >The pensioner is not tested, but the wife is, if working.

    Both are TESTED, Husband & Wife..FACT, Please check up before you make rash
    statements again..

    > She must decide if
    >all the hassle of going out to work with all the expenses involved is really
    >worth what she is allowed to keep.
    >
    >It is rather like a mother having to decide whether it is worth working for
    >a very low wage and using child care, or remaining on the DPB to care for
    >her child herself.

    , May 24, 2006
  16. Geopelia Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 24 May 2006 10:34:11 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message

    >>The pensioner is not tested, but the wife is, if working.

    > Both are TESTED, Husband & Wife..FACT, Please check up before you make
    > rash
    > statements again..

    Is that so? Sorry if I got it wrong, we went straight from an invalid
    benefit on to the full pension for both. WINZ of course will know.

    Geopelia, May 24, 2006
  17. Geopelia Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 24 May 2006 10:34:11 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message

    >>>The pensioner is not tested, but the wife is, if working.

    >> Both are TESTED, Husband & Wife..FACT, Please check up before you make
    >> rash
    >> statements again..

    > Is that so? Sorry if I got it wrong, we went straight from an invalid
    > benefit on to the full pension for both. WINZ of course will know.

    I've checked the WINZ website. There seem to have been some changes since we
    went on the pension in 1989.
    So check for yourselves, which is what I should have done first.
    Sorry about that.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, May 24, 2006
  18. a_l_p Guest

    wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 May 2006 08:21:18 +0100, Jason Fanning <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Geopelia wrote:
    >>

    >>>The partner of pension age gets the single pension. The partner under that
    >>>age is means tested, if working. So retire too, you can do all the things
    >>>around the home that save you money, cooking, growing vegetables, making
    >>>clothes etc.
    >>>

    >>How do they manage that on a single pension?

    > And how do people to that have a Disability or Heath Problems, or even ground
    > that can grow Vegetables, I have a slipped Disc and not allowed to do any
    > gardening work..

    Believe it or not, some people have health problems *other than* "a bad back".

    A L P
    a_l_p, May 24, 2006
  19. Robert Cooze Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Wed, 24 May 2006 10:34:11 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message

    8><

    >>Both are TESTED, Husband & Wife..FACT, Please check up before you make
    >>rash
    >>statements again..

    The Problem about winz is most employees dont actualy know about all of
    the rules! Some times they say no when you are entitled and yes when you
    are not. So up in person and bug the s**t out of them. They are payed to
    not give out the most money but if you bercome a pain they pay you to
    shut up....

    > Is that so? Sorry if I got it wrong, we went straight from an invalid
    > benefit on to the full pension for both. WINZ of course will know.
    >

    >>>She must decide if
    >>>all the hassle of going out to work with all the expenses involved is
    >>>really
    >>>worth what she is allowed to keep.
    >>>
    >>>It is rather like a mother having to decide whether it is worth working
    >>>for
    >>>a very low wage and using child care, or remaining on the DPB to care for
    >>>her child herself.

    Well Sickness and Helth I know what the wedding vows said! but hard
    times can be a bugger especialy in what should be a time of happiness.

    Robert Cooze, May 24, 2006