    www.pcworld.co.nz , but it appears to have disappeared into thin air. When I
    have checked the website with alertra, it showns an error. Anyone know if
    they have gone out of business or have changed their name.

    Rob, Feb 12, 2007

  2. Rob

    Stuart Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message news:1171270132.42108@ftpsrv1...
    >I have been trying to access the pc world website since saturday at
    >www.pcworld.co.nz , but it appears to have disappeared into thin air. When
    >I have checked the website with alertra, it showns an error. Anyone know if
    >they have gone out of business or have changed their name.

    They were moving buildings. They were back up this afternoon but appear to
    be down again. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll be back soon.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Feb 12, 2007

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "Stuart" <> wrote in message

    > "Rob" <> wrote in message news:1171270132.42108@ftpsrv1...
    >>I have been trying to access the pc world website since saturday at
    >>www.pcworld.co.nz , but it appears to have disappeared into thin air. When
    >>I have checked the website with alertra, it showns an error. Anyone know
    >>if they have gone out of business or have changed their name.

    > They were moving buildings. They were back up this afternoon but appear to
    > be down again. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll be back soon.
    >
    > Stuart

    Moving offices affects their website? Sounds weird, I would have thought
    they would host their website on webservers in a datacentre, rather than in
    their office. It doesn't look good for a professional business to have their
    website down while they move offices, I would have thought they would have
    at least had a contingency so there was no downtime.

    Rob, Feb 12, 2007
  4. Rob

    whome Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message news:1171273409.833167@ftpsrv1...

    > "Stuart" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rob" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have been trying to access the pc world website since saturday at
    >>>www.pcworld.co.nz , but it appears to have disappeared into thin air.
    >>>When I have checked the website with alertra, it showns an error. Anyone
    >>>know if they have gone out of business or have changed their name.

    >> They were moving buildings. They were back up this afternoon but appear
    >> to be down again. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll be back soon.
    >>
    >> Stuart
    >>

    > Moving offices affects their website? Sounds weird, I would have thought
    > they would host their website on webservers in a datacentre, rather than
    > in their office. It doesn't look good for a professional business to have
    > their website down while they move offices, I would have thought they
    > would have at least had a contingency so there was no downtime.

    this is NZ dude. THe land of small biz.

    whome, Feb 12, 2007
  5. Rob

    Enkidu Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > Moving offices affects their website? Sounds weird, I would have
    > thought they would host their website on webservers in a datacentre,
    > rather than in their office. It doesn't look good for a professional
    > business to have their website down while they move offices, I would
    > have thought they would have at least had a contingency so there was
    > no downtime.

    I've moved offices for a small organisation twice now. We had our own
    servers and after looking at the options went for a two hour outage.
    Switching to a contingency setup and back again in a reasonable time
    frame was a) expensive, and b) problematical. Many smallish IT firms
    have an air conditioned, power protected server room which while it
    might not survive a major or a serious disaster would cope with minor
    problems. Sounds like PC World hare a similar sort of setup.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Feb 12, 2007
  6. Rob

    Vista Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Rob wrote:
    >>
    >> Moving offices affects their website? Sounds weird, I would have thought
    >> they would host their website on webservers in a datacentre,
    >> rather than in their office. It doesn't look good for a professional
    >> business to have their website down while they move offices, I would
    >> have thought they would have at least had a contingency so there was
    >> no downtime.
    >>

    > I've moved offices for a small organisation twice now. We had our own
    > servers and after looking at the options went for a two hour outage.
    > Switching to a contingency setup and back again in a reasonable time
    > frame was a) expensive, and b) problematical. Many smallish IT firms
    > have an air conditioned, power protected server room which while it
    > might not survive a major or a serious disaster would cope with minor
    > problems. Sounds like PC World hare a similar sort of setup.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >
    > --
    >
    > Have you ever noticed that if something is advertised as 'amusing' or
    > 'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    But aren't PC World part of Fairfax, which is a very large company.It seems
    to be back up now.

    Vista, Feb 12, 2007
  7. Rob

    Shane Guest

    Vista wrote:

    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> Rob wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Moving offices affects their website? Sounds weird, I would have thought
    >>> they would host their website on webservers in a datacentre,
    >>> rather than in their office. It doesn't look good for a professional
    >>> business to have their website down while they move offices, I would
    >>> have thought they would have at least had a contingency so there was
    >>> no downtime.
    >>>

    >> I've moved offices for a small organisation twice now. We had our own
    >> servers and after looking at the options went for a two hour outage.
    >> Switching to a contingency setup and back again in a reasonable time
    >> frame was a) expensive, and b) problematical. Many smallish IT firms
    >> have an air conditioned, power protected server room which while it
    >> might not survive a major or a serious disaster would cope with minor
    >> problems. Sounds like PC World hare a similar sort of setup.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Have you ever noticed that if something is advertised as 'amusing' or
    >> 'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    >>

    > But aren't PC World part of Fairfax, which is a very large company.It
    > seems to be back up now.

    $ host pcworld.co.nz
    pcworld.co.nz has address 210.48.100.25
    pcworld.co.nz mail is handled by 20 etrn.iconz.co.nz.
    pcworld.co.nz mail is handled by 10 d2s.iconz.net.

    $ whois 210.48.100.25
    % [whois.apnic.net node-2]
    % Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

    inetnum: 210.48.0.0 - 210.48.127.255
    netname: ICONZ-NZ
    descr: ICONZ, Internet Service Provider
    <snip>
    notify:
    mnt-by: APNIC-HM
    mnt-lower: MAINT-NZ-ICONZ
    status: ALLOCATED PORTABLE
    <snip>

    Shane, Feb 12, 2007
  8. Rob

    Stuart Guest

    Latest blog post from Chris Keall on their site says that their firewall and
    file server went down.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Feb 13, 2007
  9. Rob

    jasen Guest

    On 2007-02-12, Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:

    > $ host pcworld.co.nz
    > pcworld.co.nz has address 210.48.100.25
    > pcworld.co.nz mail is handled by 20 etrn.iconz.co.nz.
    > pcworld.co.nz mail is handled by 10 d2s.iconz.net.
    >
    > $ whois 210.48.100.25
    > % [whois.apnic.net node-2]
    > % Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html
    >
    > inetnum: 210.48.0.0 - 210.48.127.255
    > netname: ICONZ-NZ
    > descr: ICONZ, Internet Service Provider
    ><snip>
    > notify:
    > mnt-by: APNIC-HM
    > mnt-lower: MAINT-NZ-ICONZ
    > status: ALLOCATED PORTABLE
    ><snip>

    compare with thia:
    ..
    .. $ whois 210.48.82.11
    ..
    .. % [whois.apnic.net node-1]
    .. % Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html
    ..
    .. inetnum: 210.48.0.0 - 210.48.127.255
    .. netname: ICONZ-NZ
    ..

    Thhe above IP is a DSL service to Manchester Street Christchurch.
    (where I work)

    that said, I don't think 210.48.100.25 is DSL service.

    ..
    .. $ host 210.48.100.25
    .. 25.100.48.210.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ip-210-48-100-25.iconz.net.nz.
    ..
    .. $ host 210.48.82.11
    .. 11.82.48.210.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer p11.adsl2.iconz.net.nz.
    ..

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Feb 13, 2007