    Another odd thing was, their review machine had its RAM increased from the
    usual half gig to one gig. Potentially misleading, I thought, not to test
    the configuration the way ordinary punters will buy it.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 29, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Jan 29, 12:36 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Picked up a copy of the February issue of NZ PC World at the supermarket.
    > Not a magazine I normally bother with, but this one had the Asus Eee on the
    > cover. (Yes, it's been popping up a lot lately.) Apart from a two-page
    > spread on the diminutive beastie (verdict: 9/10), there was even mention of
    > the OLPC and Intel Classmate machines elsewhere.
    >
    > Only thing is, the Eee has been on sale in NZ for about three months. The
    > Aussie mags (APC and PC Authority) were able to put out their reviews a
    > month earlier, even though the Eee didn't go on sale there until over a
    > month later than here.
    >
    > Another odd thing was, their review machine had its RAM increased from the
    > usual half gig to one gig. Potentially misleading, I thought, not to test
    > the configuration the way ordinary punters will buy it.

    I'd never heard of the thing until I saw that article. I went straight
    out and bought one that day.

    I understand it takes a conventional laptop RAM module so will upgrade
    mine to a 1 or 2Gb module shortly, and I am looking around for a
    decent SDHC card.

    There's a very simple update to swap the noddy GUI to a conventional
    KDE one - that's the first thing I did.
    JohnO, Feb 4, 2008

  3. In article
    <>, JohnO
    did write:

    > I understand it takes a conventional laptop RAM module so will upgrade
    > mine to a 1 or 2Gb module shortly...

    Note that the included kernel doesn't recognize more than 1GiB RAM, I
    believe. If you want more, you'll have to build your own kernel.

    More details here
    <http://www.ultramobilegeek.com/2007/11/howto-recompiling-eee-kernel-to-enable.html>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 4, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Feb 4, 9:01 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>, JohnO
    > did write:
    >
    > > I understand it takes a conventional laptop RAM module so will upgrade
    > > mine to a 1 or 2Gb module shortly...

    > Note that the included kernel doesn't recognize more than 1GiB RAM, I
    > believe. If you want more, you'll have to build your own kernel.
    >
    > More details here
    > <http://www.ultramobilegeek.com/2007/11/howto-recompiling-eee-kernel-t...>..

    Yes, and even once it recognises the extra, it generally doesn't even
    need it. However the slower 533Mhz RAM 2Gb is feck all more expensive
    than 1Gb so I got 2Gb just incase there's a use for it some time.
    JohnO, Feb 5, 2008
  5. In article
    <>, JohnO
    did write:

    > Yes, and even once it recognises the extra, it generally doesn't even
    > need it.

    Hmm, I'm wondering whether my Eee might not benefit from a RAM upgrade. It's
    getting a bit wearying having to kill and restart Firefox every day or
    two...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 5, 2008
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Ross Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 01:36:19 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >Picked up a copy of the February issue of NZ PC World at the supermarket.
    >Not a magazine I normally bother with, but this one had the Asus Eee on the
    >cover. (Yes, it's been popping up a lot lately.) Apart from a two-page
    >spread on the diminutive beastie (verdict: 9/10), there was even mention of
    >the OLPC and Intel Classmate machines elsewhere.
    >
    >Only thing is, the Eee has been on sale in NZ for about three months. The
    >Aussie mags (APC and PC Authority) were able to put out their reviews a
    >month earlier, even though the Eee didn't go on sale there until over a
    >month later than here.
    >
    >Another odd thing was, their review machine had its RAM increased from the
    >usual half gig to one gig. Potentially misleading, I thought, not to test
    >the configuration the way ordinary punters will buy it.

    2.0 or 3.0 beta?
    Got many addons?
    Ross, Feb 6, 2008