    In the newsfeed section it has BBC CNET Salon and Wired which is great but
    I was wondering if there is a nz specific newsfeed I could plug in there
    and get the nz news?

    cowboyz, May 9, 2005

  2. cowboyz

    Thor Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    > I just got Opera and think it is the best thing since sliced bread.
    > Loving it.
    >
    > In the newsfeed section it has BBC CNET Salon and Wired which is great but
    > I was wondering if there is a nz specific newsfeed I could plug in there
    > and get the nz news?

    I take it you mean rss feeds, I haven't found any
    but there is always news.google.co.nz granted not an rss feed but useful for
    all that and there is www.nzcity.co.nz as well. The only rss feed for New
    Zealand I have found is earthquake news :)

    --
    *~~~~~~~~Thor

    Thor, May 9, 2005

  3. cowboyz

    Peter Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > I just got Opera and think it is the best thing since sliced bread.
    > Loving it.
    >
    > In the newsfeed section it has BBC CNET Salon and Wired which is great but
    > I was wondering if there is a nz specific newsfeed I could plug in there
    > and get the nz news?

    rss is cool - I'm using it in Forefox.

    There are a few links at the bottom of this page ...
    http://www.newslookup.com/rss.html

    or
    http://news.portal.govt.nz/

    The overseas news orgs seem to be using rss more than NZ.
    (Because we lack the broadband connections that most developed countries
    have?)

    Peter

    Peter, May 9, 2005
  4. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:25:23 +1200, Thor <> wrote:

    > cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> I just got Opera and think it is the best thing since sliced bread.
    >> Loving it.
    >>
    >> In the newsfeed section it has BBC CNET Salon and Wired which is great
    >> but
    >> I was wondering if there is a nz specific newsfeed I could plug in there
    >> and get the nz news?
    >>

    > I take it you mean rss feeds, I haven't found any
    > but there is always news.google.co.nz granted not an rss feed but useful
    > for
    > all that and there is www.nzcity.co.nz as well. The only rss feed for New
    > Zealand I have found is earthquake news :)

    Yes. For a quick news update I use nz city. Hearld for a more in depth
    look. Oh well. it would have been nice to have it in my news client.

    cowboyz, May 9, 2005
  5. cowboyz

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 12:43:41 +1200, in message
    <op.sqhga3xplk46je@xp2100>, cowboyz wrote:

    > I just got Opera and think it is the best thing since sliced bread.
    > Loving it.
    >
    > In the newsfeed section it has BBC CNET Salon and Wired which is great but
    > I was wondering if there is a nz specific newsfeed I could plug in there
    > and get the nz news?

    Some other NZ links ...

    See http://idg.net.nz/idgnet.nsf/unid/E323191E100BF096CC256F3C0003D3FC?OpenDocument

    See http://www.aardvark.co.nz/xml.shtml

    Ralph Fox, May 9, 2005
  6. cowboyz <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:25:23 +1200, Thor <> wrote:

    [snip]
    > > I take it you mean rss feeds, I haven't found any
    > > but there is always news.google.co.nz granted not an rss feed but useful
    > > for
    > > all that and there is www.nzcity.co.nz as well. The only rss feed for New
    > > Zealand I have found is earthquake news :)

    > Yes. For a quick news update I use nz city. Hearld for a more in depth
    > look. Oh well. it would have been nice to have it in my news client.

    This _is_ your news client. But you mean RSS.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, May 10, 2005
  7. cowboyz

    Shane Guest

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:25:23 +1200, Thor wrote:

    > cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> I just got Opera and think it is the best thing since sliced bread.
    >> Loving it.
    >>
    >> In the newsfeed section it has BBC CNET Salon and Wired which is great but
    >> I was wondering if there is a nz specific newsfeed I could plug in there
    >> and get the nz news?
    >>

    > I take it you mean rss feeds, I haven't found any
    > but there is always news.google.co.nz granted not an rss feed but useful for
    > all that and there is www.nzcity.co.nz as well. The only rss feed for New
    > Zealand I have found is earthquake news :)

    slashdot has an rss feed
    bbc (as mentioned)
    theregister.co.uk
    cnn.com

    theres a heap, but I stick to BBC now (I had 7 or 8 running at one time
    and I confuzzled the shit out of myself, new toy and all that)
    in fact i put the search string "inurl:/services/rss" into google and got
    725 hits
    HTH

    Shane, May 10, 2005
  8. cowboyz

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 16:23:45 +1200, Shane wrote:

    > On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:25:23 +1200, Thor wrote:
    >
    >> cowboyz wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just got Opera and think it is the best thing since sliced bread.
    >>> Loving it.
    >>>
    >>> In the newsfeed section it has BBC CNET Salon and Wired which is great but
    >>> I was wondering if there is a nz specific newsfeed I could plug in there
    >>> and get the nz news?
    >>>

    >> I take it you mean rss feeds, I haven't found any
    >> but there is always news.google.co.nz granted not an rss feed but useful for
    >> all that and there is www.nzcity.co.nz as well. The only rss feed for New
    >> Zealand I have found is earthquake news :)

    > slashdot has an rss feed
    > bbc (as mentioned)
    > theregister.co.uk
    > cnn.com

    also.. look for the xml logo, that usually means a newsfeed, for example
    I just discovered groklaw has one
    http://www.groklaw.net/backend/GrokLaw.rdf

    I know none of these are nz specific, but you get the idea of what to look
    for

    Shane, May 10, 2005
  9. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 16:09:08 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet
    <> wrote:

    > cowboyz <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:25:23 +1200, Thor <> wrote:

    > [snip]
    >> > I take it you mean rss feeds, I haven't found any
    >> > but there is always news.google.co.nz granted not an rss feed but

    >> useful
    >> > for
    >> > all that and there is www.nzcity.co.nz as well. The only rss feed for

    >> New
    >> > Zealand I have found is earthquake news :)

    >> Yes. For a quick news update I use nz city. Hearld for a more in depth
    >> look. Oh well. it would have been nice to have it in my news client.

    > This _is_ your news client. But you mean RSS.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    This _is_ my web browser.

    It would have (and is now possible when I decide which ones I actually
    want to subscribe to) have the nz news in my news client.

    cowboyz, May 10, 2005
  10. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 00:33:19 +1200, Ralph Fox
    <-echo.invalid> wrote:

    > On Mon, 09 May 2005 12:43:41 +1200, in message
    > <op.sqhga3xplk46je@xp2100>, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> I just got Opera and think it is the best thing since sliced bread.
    >> Loving it.
    >>
    >> In the newsfeed section it has BBC CNET Salon and Wired which is great
    >> but
    >> I was wondering if there is a nz specific newsfeed I could plug in there
    >> and get the nz news?

    > Some other NZ links ...
    >
    > See
    > http://idg.net.nz/idgnet.nsf/unid/E323191E100BF096CC256F3C0003D3FC?OpenDocument
    >
    > | IDG NZ RSS FEEDS:
    > |
    > | • PC World
    > | • Computerworld News
    > | • Unlimited
    >
    > See http://www.aardvark.co.nz/xml.shtml

    many thanx. very helpful

    cowboyz, May 10, 2005
  11. cowboyz

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 17:10:48 +1200, in message
    <op.sqjncau4lk46je@xp2100>, cowboyz wrote:

    > On Tue, 10 May 2005 16:09:08 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > cowboyz <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:25:23 +1200, Thor <> wrote:

    > > [snip]
    > >> useful
    > >> New

    > >> Yes. For a quick news update I use nz city. Hearld for a more in depth
    > >> look. Oh well. it would have been nice to have it in my news client.

    > > This _is_ your news client. But you mean RSS.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    > This _is_ my web browser.
    >
    > It would have (and is now possible when I decide which ones I actually
    > want to subscribe to) have the nz news in my news client.

    Unforch the term "news client" has been around a lot longer than RSS,
    and already means something different to many people.

    Most people here are reading this group with a news client (NNTP).

    I'm posting this message with my news client (Agent)
    and I subscribe to RSS in my web browser (Firefox).

    HTH HAND

    Ralph Fox, May 10, 2005
  12. cowboyz

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 17:31:39 +1200, in message
    <op.sqjoa10blk46je@xp2100>, cowboyz wrote:

    > many thanx. very helpful

    You're welcome.

    Ralph Fox, May 10, 2005
  13. cowboyz <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 10 May 2005 16:09:08 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > cowboyz <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:25:23 +1200, Thor <> wrote:

    > > [snip]
    > >> useful
    > >> New

    > >> Yes. For a quick news update I use nz city. Hearld for a more in depth
    > >> look. Oh well. it would have been nice to have it in my news client.

    > > This _is_ your news client. But you mean RSS.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    > This _is_ my web browser.
    >
    > It would have (and is now possible when I decide which ones I actually
    > want to subscribe to) have the nz news in my news client.

    I won't bother correcting that...

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, May 10, 2005
  14. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 22:28:22 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet
    <> wrote:

    > cowboyz <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 10 May 2005 16:09:08 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet
    >> <> wrote:

    >> wrote:
    >> > [snip]

    >> for

    >> depth

    >> client.
    >> >
    >> > This _is_ your news client. But you mean RSS.
    >> >
    >> > Regards,
    >> > Jamie Kahn Genet

    >> This _is_ my web browser.
    >>
    >> It would have (and is now possible when I decide which ones I actually
    >> want to subscribe to) have the nz news in my news client.

    > I won't bother correcting that...
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    What are you not correcting? Are you saying the app I use for reading
    news is not a new client but is a RSS?

    Hold on a minute. I thought RSS was a format not an app?

    Don't confuse my laziness of typing with stupidity. Those who were
    interested in ansering the question got enough of a jist of what I wanted
    to answer it appropriately to get me where I wanted to go.

    cowboyz, May 10, 2005
  15. cowboyz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Thor <> wrote in

    > I take it you mean rss feeds, I haven't found any
    > but there is always news.google.co.nz granted not an rss feed but
    > useful for

    NZ specific RSS I don't know

    What I do know is that http://www.dailyrotation.com has the techie ones
    there for you.

    Nathan Mercer posted a different web page that was some kind of web page
    you could personalize for any rss feed. Similar to what daily rotation
    does but yours and not based on cookies like daily rotation is.

    Dailyrotation.com is my home page.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 10, 2005