nz news server?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by brazen, Mar 1, 2005.

  1. brazen

    brazen Guest

    Hi there,

    I've had a week of my new ISPs news server and that is enough!

    What with the hit & miss retention (well I guess thats what it is - OE is
    saying x posts not downloaded and wont download them) and the bollox that
    they put on the bottom of my posts I'm looking for a change. Anyone know of
    a NZ-based newsserver that is not tied to an isp? I'm looking for nz as I
    read mostly nz groups and the free ones I have tried dont store all nz
    groups. Pay is ok, as long as they have a good number of groups.

    Thanks in advance.

    Gay

    brazen, Mar 1, 2005

  2. brazen wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've had a week of my new ISPs news server and that is enough!
    >
    > What with the hit & miss retention (well I guess thats what it is - OE is
    > saying x posts not downloaded and wont download them) and the bollox that
    > they put on the bottom of my posts I'm looking for a change. Anyone know of
    > a NZ-based newsserver that is not tied to an isp? I'm looking for nz as I
    > read mostly nz groups and the free ones I have tried dont store all nz
    > groups. Pay is ok, as long as they have a good number of groups.

    I'd set on up, but I'd need quite a substancial subscriber base just to
    cover the cost of a reliable connection and bandwidth for a full text
    feed. Even then I would only be able to provide what other sites already
    offer in one form or another for free.

    I understand ISPs not offering binary feeds, but they could easily
    accomodate the bandwidth requirements for a full text feed since they
    have excess capacity at off-peak times. Text feeds are only a few GB per
    day, which averaged out over their user base is bugger all.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Mar 1, 2005

  3. brazen

    thing Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > brazen wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I've had a week of my new ISPs news server and that is enough!
    >>
    >> What with the hit & miss retention (well I guess thats what it is - OE is
    >> saying x posts not downloaded and wont download them) and the bollox that
    >> they put on the bottom of my posts I'm looking for a change. Anyone
    >> know of
    >> a NZ-based newsserver that is not tied to an isp? I'm looking for nz as I
    >> read mostly nz groups and the free ones I have tried dont store all nz
    >> groups. Pay is ok, as long as they have a good number of groups.

    > I'd set on up, but I'd need quite a substancial subscriber base just to
    > cover the cost of a reliable connection and bandwidth for a full text
    > feed. Even then I would only be able to provide what other sites already
    > offer in one form or another for free.
    >
    > I understand ISPs not offering binary feeds, but they could easily
    > accomodate the bandwidth requirements for a full text feed since they
    > have excess capacity at off-peak times. Text feeds are only a few GB per
    > day, which averaged out over their user base is bugger all.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    Sad ISPs seem so disinterested in news, and here is me building a new one.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Mar 2, 2005
  4. brazen

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:03:10 +1300, brazen wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've had a week of my new ISPs news server and that is enough!
    >
    > What with the hit & miss retention (well I guess thats what it is - OE is
    > saying x posts not downloaded and wont download them) and the bollox that
    > they put on the bottom of my posts I'm looking for a change. Anyone know of
    > a NZ-based newsserver that is not tied to an isp? I'm looking for nz as I
    > read mostly nz groups and the free ones I have tried dont store all nz
    > groups. Pay is ok, as long as they have a good number of groups.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Putting my money where my mouth is

    http://news.individual.net/

    Yes, Not Kiwi, but German. Pay as of April Fools day 2005. Ten Euro per
    year, approx $20 Kiwi.

    NZ groups?

    Well they all seem to be there, 29 of them. Inculding nz.soc.maori.

    You may also wish to check out the thread(s) of news servers in nz.general
    in February 2005.

    Gordon, Mar 2, 2005
  5. brazen

    brazen Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:03:10 +1300, brazen wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I've had a week of my new ISPs news server and that is enough!
    >>
    >> What with the hit & miss retention (well I guess thats what it is - OE is
    >> saying x posts not downloaded and wont download them) and the bollox that
    >> they put on the bottom of my posts I'm looking for a change. Anyone know
    >> of
    >> a NZ-based newsserver that is not tied to an isp? I'm looking for nz as I
    >> read mostly nz groups and the free ones I have tried dont store all nz
    >> groups. Pay is ok, as long as they have a good number of groups.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

    > Putting my money where my mouth is
    >
    > http://news.individual.net/
    >
    > Yes, Not Kiwi, but German. Pay as of April Fools day 2005. Ten Euro per
    > year, approx $20 Kiwi.
    >
    > NZ groups?
    >
    > Well they all seem to be there, 29 of them. Inculding nz.soc.maori.

    Hi Gordon,

    Thanks for that. Do you find them good? Also, do the nz groups have posts -
    been burnt before when the groups were there but they had no posts for
    them - I just got that "group download in progress" message forever.

    I tried to register to suss it out myself but they are no longer doing free
    registrations & I dont want to waste my Euros.

    Gay

    brazen, Mar 2, 2005
  6. brazen

    bambam Guest

    "brazen" <> wrote in

    >> Putting my money where my mouth is
    >>
    >> http://news.individual.net/
    >>
    >> Yes, Not Kiwi, but German. Pay as of April Fools day 2005. Ten Euro
    >> per year, approx $20 Kiwi.
    >>
    >> NZ groups?
    >>
    >> Well they all seem to be there, 29 of them. Inculding nz.soc.maori.
    >>

    > Hi Gordon,
    >
    > Thanks for that. Do you find them good? Also, do the nz groups have
    > posts - been burnt before when the groups were there but they had no
    > posts for them - I just got that "group download in progress" message
    > forever.
    >
    > I tried to register to suss it out myself but they are no longer doing
    > free registrations & I dont want to waste my Euros.

    Try this one instead, free and no reg.
    26 nz. groups.

    news.aioe.org

    Also there is this one, free, but reg required-

    http://www.x-privat.org/international.php

    28 nz. groups.

    Been using both for a few days, no problems yet. :)

    bambam, Mar 2, 2005
  7. thing wrote:
    > Sad ISPs seem so disinterested in news, and here is me building a new one.

    A new ISP or news server?

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Mar 3, 2005
  8. brazen

    brazen Guest

    "bambam" <> wrote in message
    > Try this one instead, free and no reg.
    > 26 nz. groups.
    >
    > news.aioe.org

    You beauty, bambam! I shall give this a go too.

    Thanks

    Gay

    brazen, Mar 3, 2005