NZ Linux users engage in Govt-MS bashing

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alex Axolotl, Nov 25, 2004.

  1. Alex Axolotl

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Paranoid Looney Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > http://www.wlug.org.nz/ParliamentaryQuestions
    >
    > On Thursday the 18th of November, the WLUG was privileged to have
    > RodneyHide, the leader of NewZealand's ACT political party, address us.
    >
    > See the MeetingTopics.2004-11-18 page for an outline of this enjoyable
    > meeting.
    >
    > The WLUG should focus on raising Parliamentary questions, and Rodney will
    > endeavor to assist us in formulating these in the most effective manner.
    >
    > Notes on the process:
    >
    > Questions should be as specific as possible, especially with respect to
    > dates. This makes evading the questions difficult.
    > The original answer documents can be requested if there is a suspicion
    > that the provided answer may be male bovine fecal matter.
    >
    > With that in mind:
    >
    > RodneyHide asked us what questions we'd like various government
    > departments asked. This page is where we can discuss questions and talk
    > about rewording them before their submission. Each question is made into
    > a title so that the discussion about that question can happen underneath.
    > How much money has this department spent in the last financial year on
    > commercial proprietary software products?
    >
    > Does this relate to maintaining/maintenance charges, or to purchase of
    > new products? Suggest modifying to 'How much money has this department
    > spent in the last financial year purchasing new commercial proprietary
    > software products for which a viable open source alternative exists.'' -
    >
    > [...]

    Microsoft ??? Where ???

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 25, 2004

  2. Alex Axolotl

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Paranoid Looney Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <> in nz.comp on Fri, 26 Nov 2004
    > 00:57:19 +1300, Alex Axolotl <> says...
    >
    >>Paranoid Looney Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > <plonk>
    >
    > So are you posting under your real name, still using about your 10th
    > email address stolen off someone else's domain?

    The Dunford Sidestep
    Just answer the question
    Where is Microsoft mentioned and how are they being bashed ?

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 25, 2004

  3. http://www.wlug.org.nz/ParliamentaryQuestions

    --
    "Marriage is a lifelong covenant commitment between
    a man and a woman.

    This foundation provides the best possible
    environment to raise our children."

    http://www.maxim.org.nz/civilunions.html

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 26, 2004
  4. Alex Axolotl

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 00:57:19 +1300, Alex Axolotl wrote:

    > Microsoft ??? Where ???

    Also... Where is the bashing?

    They sound like the tamest set of parliamentary questions in history.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Nov 26, 2004
  5. In article <> in nz.comp on Fri, 26 Nov 2004

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 26, 2004
  6. Alex Axolotl

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:21:53 +1300, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > In article <> in nz.comp on Fri, 26 Nov 2004
    > 00:57:19 +1300, Alex Axolotl <> says...
    >> Paranoid Looney Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > <plonk>
    >
    > So are you posting under your real name, still using about your 10th email
    > address stolen off someone else's domain?

    Actually the addresses aren't exactly 'stolen'

    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7319

    And at one time using them was the only way to munge your email address
    when using a certain free german news server.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Nov 26, 2004
  7. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>Paranoid Looney Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > So are you posting under your real name, still using about your 10th
    > email address stolen off someone else's domain?

    go to privacy.net and have a read patrick... it is there for a good reason.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 26, 2004
  8. Alex Axolotl

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> go to privacy.net and have a read patrick... it is there for a good
    >>> reason.

    >> And your point is?

    > if people dont want to post with a real addy, thats their business,
    > no-one elses.

    nomail.invalid a real address ????
    <snigger>

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 26, 2004
  9. Alex Axolotl

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <> in nz.comp on Fri, 26 Nov 2004
    > 17:50:58 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <> says...

    >>>And your point is?

    >>if people dont want to post with a real addy, thats their business,
    >>no-one elses.

    > That isn't the issue, it is using someone else's domain that you don't
    > own.

    dave doesn't own gmail.com either ;-)

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 26, 2004
  10. In article <> in nz.comp on Fri, 26 Nov 2004
    15:08:37 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <> says...

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 26, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 26, 2004
  12. In article <> in nz.comp on Fri, 26 Nov 2004

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 26, 2004
  13. Alex Axolotl

    Peter Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:42:13 +1300, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >http://www.wlug.org.nz/ParliamentaryQuestions
    >
    >On Thursday the 18th of November, the WLUG was privileged to have
    >RodneyHide, the leader of NewZealand's ACT political party, address us.

    This is legittimate lobbying.

    If this is Government bashing, then by the same token anti abortion
    lobbying and anti civil union lobbying would also be Government
    bashing.

    This pro open source software lobbying is aimed to stop or at least
    water down legislation and patent practices which potentially amount
    to a 21st century intellectual property version of the Enclosures Act
    (which took away the use of common land by the inhabitants of the
    British Isles).

    Or to put it another way, it is about the prospect of allowing
    Microsoft to install an intellectual property turnpike in NZ to
    appease the current US Government to keep those Microsoft donations
    flowing into the Republican Party's funds.

    Peter, Nov 26, 2004
  14. Alex Axolotl

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:55:15 +1300, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > That isn't the issue, it is using someone else's domain that you don't
    > own.

    The owners of privacy.net have given permission for the general public to
    use as an address when you don't want to give your real one.

    Look it up Patrick - nobody is stealing addresses.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Nov 26, 2004
  15. In article <> in nz.comp on Fri, 26
    Nov 2004 04:56:13 GMT, Peter <> says...
    > On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:42:13 +1300, Patrick Dunford
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.wlug.org.nz/ParliamentaryQuestions
    > >
    > >On Thursday the 18th of November, the WLUG was privileged to have
    > >RodneyHide, the leader of NewZealand's ACT political party, address us.
    > >

    > This is legittimate lobbying.

    Let us not be in doubt that it is however anything other than a carefully
    disguised campaign against Microsoft.

    > Or to put it another way, it is about the prospect of allowing
    > Microsoft to install an intellectual property turnpike in NZ to
    > appease the current US Government to keep those Microsoft donations
    > flowing into the Republican Party's funds.

    Yawn...

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 26, 2004
  16. Alex Axolotl

    Chris Hope Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > In article <> in nz.comp on Fri, 26
    > Nov 2004 04:56:13 GMT, Peter <> says...
    >> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:42:13 +1300, Patrick Dunford
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >http://www.wlug.org.nz/ParliamentaryQuestions
    >> >
    >> >On Thursday the 18th of November, the WLUG was privileged to have
    >> >RodneyHide, the leader of NewZealand's ACT political party, address us.
    >> >

    >> This is legittimate lobbying.

    > Let us not be in doubt that it is however anything other than a carefully
    > disguised campaign against Microsoft.

    Sounds like your paranoia to me. It sounds to me more like ACT are just
    trying to work out if they can cut expenses in Parlimanet...

    Chris Hope, Nov 26, 2004
  17. Alex Axolotl

    Peter Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > Let us not be in doubt that it is however anything other than a carefully
    > disguised campaign against Microsoft.

    Hmmm, are you saying that criticism or questioning of Microsoft can not be
    permitted, under any circumstances?

    Peter

    Peter, Nov 26, 2004
  18. Alex Axolotl

    Peter Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:07:46 +1300, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >In article <> in nz.comp on Fri, 26
    >Nov 2004 04:56:13 GMT, Peter <> says...
    >> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:42:13 +1300, Patrick Dunford
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >http://www.wlug.org.nz/ParliamentaryQuestions
    >> >
    >> >On Thursday the 18th of November, the WLUG was privileged to have
    >> >RodneyHide, the leader of NewZealand's ACT political party, address us.
    >> >

    >> This is legittimate lobbying.

    >Let us not be in doubt that it is however anything other than a carefully
    >disguised campaign against Microsoft.

    There is no disguise here. It is common knowledge that people who
    care for liberty do not want to live in a totalitarian society
    effectively controlled by Microsoft and other big business interests.

    Peter, Nov 26, 2004
  19. Alex Axolotl

    thing Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    8><-----

    >>This is legittimate lobbying.

    > Let us not be in doubt that it is however anything other than a carefully
    > disguised campaign against Microsoft.

    Lets see Steve Balmer threatens Asian Heads of State that via the WTO
    "someone" could come calling ie use Linux and not MS and get sued...

    The Open source movement is and indeed has moved beyond MS OSes, what is
    next is open source Java, databases and other open alternatives to
    commercial software.

    mysql can do what oracle can do for 90% of the applications for $5000 v
    $40,000US (per cpu?) Open source java will cause mayhem, look at IIS, MS
    has all but had to give it away to compete with Apache and still only
    holds 25% of the market. What do you think is going to happen the the
    prices charged by large US Corporations for their proprietry software
    when there is a viable and significantly cheaper alternative?

    Are such events going to make your life worse or easier? Commercial
    vendors have got to the stage they can screw huge sums out of projects
    when in reality where most NZers are going to make a % is in services.
    If you can offer a solution that is significantly cheaper than someone
    else who is going to win the work? If there is an open source
    alternative to sql/oracle/Informix do you not think it is going to
    substantially improve your bargining position when you look for a discount?

    >>Or to put it another way, it is about the prospect of allowing
    >>Microsoft to install an intellectual property turnpike in NZ to
    >>appease the current US Government to keep those Microsoft donations
    >>flowing into the Republican Party's funds.

    > Yawn...

    why? I consider it reasonable that as a tax payer my money is well
    spent. Throwing it at a commercial vendor generally benefits a US/EU
    company and not a NZ one. The NZ one takes a small cut, so the money
    leaves NZ, it does not go back into our economy....it benefits us little
    and overseas comapnies heaps.

    ACT is taking an interest beause they smell easy prey, for too long
    Government mandarines have bought comercial products without due
    consideration of OSS alternatives.

    So, if more open source is used it has the potential to save NZ money
    and keep what is spent here, I cannot see how that is bad.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Nov 26, 2004
  20. Hi there,

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <> in nz.comp on Fri, 26 Nov 2004
    > 17:50:58 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <> says...

    >>>And your point is?

    >>if people dont want to post with a real addy, thats their business,
    >>no-one elses.

    > That isn't the issue, it is using someone else's domain that you don't
    > own.

    So you researched whether 'nomail.invalid' was already registered? :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 26, 2004