    any login, and it doesnt ask for one.

    and the others that I have found using Google, either no longer exist,
    or if they do, only have older versions.
    T.N.O., Dec 4, 2003

  2. T.N.O. wrote:
    > I'm trying to grab the latest and greatest Knoppix, and well, wanting
    > to grab it off a kiwi site as to keep it national, am trying to use
    > an NZ mirror.
    >
    > I keep getting "Login Incorrect" on ftp.debian.co.nz when Im not using
    > any login, and it doesnt ask for one.
    >
    > and the others that I have found using Google, either no longer exist,
    > or if they do, only have older versions.

    I had no problems.
    try ftp://debian.co.nz/Knoppix/
    Russell Smithies, Dec 4, 2003

  3. T.N.O.

    EAgle Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to grab the latest and greatest Knoppix, and well, wanting to
    > grab it off a kiwi site as to keep it national, am trying to use an NZ
    > mirror.
    >
    > I keep getting "Login Incorrect" on ftp.debian.co.nz when Im not using
    > any login, and it doesnt ask for one.
    >
    > and the others that I have found using Google, either no longer exist,
    > or if they do, only have older versions.

    Wasn't Knoppix taken offline after all those software patent problems? I
    didn't think it was still available for download?
    EAgle, Dec 4, 2003
  4. EAgle wrote:
    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm trying to grab the latest and greatest Knoppix, and well, wanting to
    >>grab it off a kiwi site as to keep it national, am trying to use an NZ
    >>mirror.
    >>
    >>I keep getting "Login Incorrect" on ftp.debian.co.nz when Im not using
    >>any login, and it doesnt ask for one.
    >>
    >>and the others that I have found using Google, either no longer exist,
    >>or if they do, only have older versions.
    >>

    > Wasn't Knoppix taken offline after all those software patent problems? I
    > didn't think it was still available for download?

    What software patent problems? I just downloaded the latest version today.
    Kurt Häusler, Dec 4, 2003
  5. T.N.O.

    harry Guest

    On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 09:20:26 +1300, EAgle wrote:

    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    >> I'm trying to grab the latest and greatest Knoppix, and well, wanting to
    >> grab it off a kiwi site as to keep it national, am trying to use an NZ
    >> mirror.
    >>
    >> I keep getting "Login Incorrect" on ftp.debian.co.nz when Im not using
    >> any login, and it doesnt ask for one.
    >>
    >> and the others that I have found using Google, either no longer exist,
    >> or if they do, only have older versions.
    >>

    > Wasn't Knoppix taken offline after all those software patent problems? I
    > didn't think it was still available for download?

    Its always been available to download.
    The protest notice was part of a European campaign.
    You just click on the Knoppix link in the text an it takes you to the
    regular page.
    Knoppix is a configuration of Debian.
    harry, Dec 4, 2003
  6. T.N.O.

    harry Guest

    On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:39:46 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > I'm trying to grab the latest and greatest Knoppix, and well, wanting to
    > grab it off a kiwi site as to keep it national, am trying to use an NZ
    > mirror.
    >
    > I keep getting "Login Incorrect" on ftp.debian.co.nz when Im not using
    > any login, and it doesnt ask for one.
    >
    > and the others that I have found using Google, either no longer exist,
    > or if they do, only have older versions.

    There is a local mirror site for the latest version.
    ftp://debian.co.nz/Knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso

    http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso
    is the Australian site listed at knopper.net
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
    I usually just use the swiss sunsite
    harry, Dec 4, 2003
  7. T.N.O.

    EAgle Guest

    "Kurt Häusler" <> wrote in message
    > EAgle wrote:
    > > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I'm trying to grab the latest and greatest Knoppix, and well, wanting to
    > >>grab it off a kiwi site as to keep it national, am trying to use an NZ
    > >>mirror.
    > >>
    > >>I keep getting "Login Incorrect" on ftp.debian.co.nz when Im not using
    > >>any login, and it doesnt ask for one.
    > >>
    > >>and the others that I have found using Google, either no longer exist,
    > >>or if they do, only have older versions.
    > >>

    > > Wasn't Knoppix taken offline after all those software patent problems? I
    > > didn't think it was still available for download?

    > What software patent problems? I just downloaded the latest version today.

    Yeah seems it all sorted. When Knoppix 3.2 was out they shutdown downloads
    accross the world, but all seems to be ok now
    EAgle, Dec 4, 2003
  8. T.N.O.

    harry Guest

    On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 10:17:53 +1300, EAgle wrote:

    > "Kurt Häusler" <> wrote in message
    >> EAgle wrote:
    >> > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message

    >> > Wasn't Knoppix taken offline after all those software patent problems? I
    >> > didn't think it was still available for download?

    >> What software patent problems? I just downloaded the latest version today.
    >>

    > Yeah seems it all sorted. When Knoppix 3.2 was out they shutdown downloads
    > accross the world, but all seems to be ok now

    No they didn't.
    Right from the start it has always been possible to click on the "Knoppix"
    link in the text and go to the normal site front page, the download
    mirrors have always been operational.
    The first day the notice appeared, the knoppix.net site gave
    the instructions.
    harry, Dec 4, 2003
  9. EAgle wrote:
    > "Kurt Häusler" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>EAgle wrote:
    >>
    >>>"T.N.O." <> wrote in message

    >>>Wasn't Knoppix taken offline after all those software patent problems? I
    >>>didn't think it was still available for download?

    >>What software patent problems? I just downloaded the latest version today.
    >>

    > Yeah seems it all sorted. When Knoppix 3.2 was out they shutdown downloads
    > accross the world, but all seems to be ok now

    Ahh the protest against europe adopting american style software patents.
    As far as I know that only affected the main english language website.
    I was always grabbing the isos of the ftp server and bypassing the
    website so I was never really affected.

    I did sign the petition though, **** having MS sue me cos I have a "drop
    down list" or a "menu bar" on my program that they happend to patent.
    Kurt Häusler, Dec 4, 2003
  10. T.N.O.

    steve Guest

    EAgle allegedly said:

    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    >> I'm trying to grab the latest and greatest Knoppix, and well, wanting to
    >> grab it off a kiwi site as to keep it national, am trying to use an NZ
    >> mirror.
    >>
    >> I keep getting "Login Incorrect" on ftp.debian.co.nz when Im not using
    >> any login, and it doesnt ask for one.
    >>
    >> and the others that I have found using Google, either no longer exist,
    >> or if they do, only have older versions.
    >>

    > Wasn't Knoppix taken offline after all those software patent problems? I
    > didn't think it was still available for download?

    It's there....buried in a link on the page that says it's offline.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers
    steve, Dec 4, 2003
  11. T.N.O.

    steve Guest

    EAgle allegedly said:

    > Wasn't Knoppix taken offline after all those software patent problems? I
    > didn't think it was still available for download?

    No....that was part of a protest against the EU adoption of
    certainapproaches to softwasre patenting.

    The campaign was successful to the extent the whole issue in the UE has been
    referred for more study..and the proposed patent legislation has not been
    adopted.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers
    steve, Dec 4, 2003
  12. T.N.O.

    EAgle Guest

    "harry" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 10:17:53 +1300, EAgle wrote:
    >

    > > "Kurt Häusler" <> wrote in message

    NZ

    using

    exist,

    problems? I

    > >> What software patent problems? I just downloaded the latest version

    today.

    > > Yeah seems it all sorted. When Knoppix 3.2 was out they shutdown

    downloads
    > > accross the world, but all seems to be ok now

    > No they didn't.
    > Right from the start it has always been possible to click on the "Knoppix"
    > link in the text and go to the normal site front page, the download
    > mirrors have always been operational.
    > The first day the notice appeared, the knoppix.net site gave
    > the instructions.

    Well I had the download for Knoppix scheduled (during 3.2) on getright and
    was downloading from over 20 mirrors simultaneously and I could actually see
    the sites removing the download (i.e. the file was there 4 hours ago and it
    suddenly disappears off the ftp site) managed to download it cos a few of
    them still had it. But I'm 100% certain that sites did stop serving the ISO.
    EAgle, Dec 5, 2003
  13. T.N.O.

    -[Myth]- Guest

    I had the same problem, and ended up downloading it off dc.p2p.net.nz
    (nolonger operational), which was much faster and didnt waste my
    international b/w.

    -[Myth]-, Dec 5, 2003
  14. T.N.O.

    harry Guest

    On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 13:13:21 +1300, EAgle wrote:

    > "harry" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 10:17:53 +1300, EAgle wrote:
    >>

    >> > "Kurt Häusler" <> wrote in message

    > NZ

    > using

    > exist,

    > problems? I

    > today.
    >> >>
    >> > Yeah seems it all sorted. When Knoppix 3.2 was out they shutdown

    > downloads
    >> > accross the world, but all seems to be ok now

    >> No they didn't.
    >> Right from the start it has always been possible to click on the "Knoppix"
    >> link in the text and go to the normal site front page, the download
    >> mirrors have always been operational.
    >> The first day the notice appeared, the knoppix.net site gave
    >> the instructions.
    >>

    > Well I had the download for Knoppix scheduled (during 3.2) on getright and
    > was downloading from over 20 mirrors simultaneously and I could actually see
    > the sites removing the download (i.e. the file was there 4 hours ago and it
    > suddenly disappears off the ftp site) managed to download it cos a few of
    > them still had it. But I'm 100% certain that sites did stop serving the ISO.

    When I first saw it I went Oh No WTF ? too.
    But I've downloaded every release without any problem, I keep it on a CDRW
    harry, Dec 5, 2003
  15. T.N.O.

    Peter Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > I'm trying to grab the latest and greatest Knoppix, and well, wanting to
    > grab it off a kiwi site as to keep it national, am trying to use an NZ
    > mirror.
    >
    > I keep getting "Login Incorrect" on ftp.debian.co.nz when Im not using
    > any login, and it doesnt ask for one.

    If you read at the top of this page,
    http://www.debian.co.nz/index.php?page=download
    it says downloads are limited to nz addresses. If you send a polite note to
    Liz, she will adjust the filter to allow your IP address through (if you're
    in NZ).
    (I'm on Maxnet, and had a similar problem, all ok now.)

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Dec 5, 2003
  16. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > T.N.O. wrote:
    >
    >>I'm trying to grab the latest and greatest Knoppix, and well, wanting to
    >>grab it off a kiwi site as to keep it national, am trying to use an NZ
    >>mirror.
    >>
    >>I keep getting "Login Incorrect" on ftp.debian.co.nz when Im not using
    >>any login, and it doesnt ask for one.

    > If you read at the top of this page,
    > http://www.debian.co.nz/index.php?page=download
    > it says downloads are limited to nz addresses. If you send a polite note to
    > Liz, she will adjust the filter to allow your IP address through (if you're
    > in NZ).
    > (I'm on Maxnet, and had a similar problem, all ok now.)

    yeah, I had since figured that out, but I'm downloading it on dialup now
    and it seems to be fine, so it seems that my work doesnt have a reverse
    lookup with nz on the end, or not at all, or it comes up as intl.
    T.N.O., Dec 5, 2003