    level as Americans, yet are getting less mileage out of them.

    No shite sherlock..... show me something electronic in NZ that we dont get
    ripped for :p
    XPD, Jan 26, 2006

  2. XPD

    Mutlley Guest

    "XPD" <....nz> wrote:

    >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10365515
    >
    >NZ's iPods among most expensive
    >
    >27.01.06
    >By Peter Nowak
    >

    >New Zealanders are paying twice as much for their iPods on a comparative
    >level as Americans, yet are getting less mileage out of them.
    >

    >No shite sherlock..... show me something electronic in NZ that we dont get
    >ripped for :p

    The article in the Herald also showed the comparable earning power
    on NZers compared with other countries. Looks like NZ is going down
    the tubes as it is becoming a low wage high cost country to live in..
    Considering that we can't get i tunes here the i pod should heaps
    cheaper here..

    Any one heard the Hardly Normal adds recently for their big sale and
    the tag line at the end?? "Does not apply to Apple products." i.e.
    The supplier wants to screw you as much as possible..
    Mutlley, Jan 26, 2006

  3. XPD

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message

    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10365515
    >
    > NZ's iPods among most expensive
    >
    > 27.01.06
    > By Peter Nowak
    >

    > New Zealanders are paying twice as much for their iPods on a comparative
    > level as Americans, yet are getting less mileage out of them.
    >

    > No shite sherlock..... show me something electronic in NZ that we dont get
    > ripped for :p

    Amazon.com had it for $299 or something close to that, wouldn't it be easier
    to buy off them and get it shipped to NZ ?

    KB
    Krazy Bob, Jan 26, 2006
  4. XPD

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Mutlley <> wrote:

    > The article in the Herald also showed the comparable earning power
    > on NZers compared with other countries. Looks like NZ is going down
    > the tubes as it is becoming a low wage high cost country to live in..
    > Considering that we can't get i tunes here the i pod should heaps
    > cheaper here..
    >
    > Any one heard the Hardly Normal adds recently for their big sale and
    > the tag line at the end?? "Does not apply to Apple products." i.e.
    > The supplier wants to screw you as much as possible..

    unfortunately NZ is in a weird position.
    The NZ market is so small that Apple is not interested in NZ directly,
    so we get tagged onto Australia. HOWEVER, Australia treats NZ pretty
    much the same as any other reseller.... yes thats right, Renaisance is
    simply a reseller for Apple Australia. Renaisance then on sells to the
    "resellers" here in NZ with added overheads and profits added in.

    The reality is NZ would be better off if all the resellers were able to
    buy directly from Australia and avoid another middleman mark-up.

    The reason the likes of Harvey Normans excluding Apple products is that
    there margins are too low to support interest free deals.

    If you are serious about wanting an ipod then buy it from overseas, cost
    including shipping will still be much lower than buying here in NZ, my
    family has 3 ipods, none bought in NZ.
    whoisthis, Jan 26, 2006
  5. XPD

    Andrew Dixon Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:
    > "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message
    >> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10365515
    >>
    >> NZ's iPods among most expensive
    >>
    >> 27.01.06
    >> By Peter Nowak
    >>

    >> New Zealanders are paying twice as much for their iPods on a comparative
    >> level as Americans, yet are getting less mileage out of them.
    >>

    >> No shite sherlock..... show me something electronic in NZ that we dont get
    >> ripped for :p
    >>

    > Amazon.com had it for $299 or something close to that, wouldn't it be easier
    > to buy off them and get it shipped to NZ ?
    >
    > KB

    That's the right idea, although you'd have to pick somewhere other than
    Amazon - they only ship CDs, DVDs and books to NZ.

    Andy
    Andrew Dixon, Jan 26, 2006
  6. XPD

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Andrew Dixon" <andrewdixon1000@gmail_nospam_.com> wrote in message
    > Krazy Bob wrote:
    >> "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message
    >>> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10365515
    >>>
    >>> NZ's iPods among most expensive
    >>>
    >>> 27.01.06
    >>> By Peter Nowak
    >>>

    >>> New Zealanders are paying twice as much for their iPods on a comparative
    >>> level as Americans, yet are getting less mileage out of them.
    >>>

    >>> No shite sherlock..... show me something electronic in NZ that we dont
    >>> get ripped for :p
    >>>

    >> Amazon.com had it for $299 or something close to that, wouldn't it be
    >> easier to buy off them and get it shipped to NZ ?
    >>
    >> KB

    > That's the right idea, although you'd have to pick somewhere other than
    > Amazon - they only ship CDs, DVDs and books to NZ.
    >
    > Andy

    cheers
    Krazy Bob, Jan 26, 2006
  7. In <pHaCf.22900$> Krazy Bob wrote:

    > "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message
    >>
    >> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10365515
    >>
    >> NZ's iPods among most expensive
    >>
    >> 27.01.06
    >> By Peter Nowak
    >>

    >> New Zealanders are paying twice as much for their iPods on a
    >> comparative level as Americans, yet are getting less mileage out of
    >> them.
    >>

    >> No shite sherlock..... show me something electronic in NZ that we
    >> dont get ripped for :p
    >>

    > Amazon.com had it for $299 or something close to that, wouldn't it be
    > easier to buy off them and get it shipped to NZ ?
    >
    > KB

    At the current exchange rate that's about $436. If Customs spots it
    you'll be hit for $54 in GST, bringing the cost to $490. I haven't
    including shipping costs or the foreign exchange fee from the credit
    card. That'll easily take it past $500. Or you can just go to a local
    retailer and buy it for $529.

    The only way I can see to save any money is to buy one yourself when
    you're overseas, or import one and hope that Customs doesn't spot it
    coming in. We are paying more for iPods, but the "twice as much" the
    article goes on about is a load of crap. By their own figures we're only
    paying 20% more. It's like saying because one person has an income half
    that of another that a car costs twice as much. Pff.

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 26, 2006
  8. In article <>,
    Roger Johnstone <> wrote:

    > We are paying more for iPods, but the "twice as much" the
    > article goes on about is a load of crap. By their own figures we're only
    > paying 20% more. It's like saying because one person has an income half
    > that of another that a car costs twice as much. Pff.

    That sort of comparison should always be referenced to the Big Mac
    Index. The official exchange rate is a load of bollox compared to the
    real prices.

    Having said that, I suspect we get Wintel boxes cheaper here in NZ than
    they do in the US. Presumably our proximity to the factories in the Near
    NorthWest and the direct contacts rather than down long & expensive
    supply chains.

    --
    Dibley
    Dibley Fanshaw, Jan 27, 2006
  9. XPD

    Jake Collins Guest

    One would have thought so, however a Dell 3100 here
    http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/dimen_3100?c=nz&l=en&s=dhs
    is NZ$1298 delivered incl GST
    A Dell 3100 here
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/dimen_3100?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
    is about NZ$1073 (of course not able to buy it from here, but that is what
    an American pays).
    At present the NZ one comes with a free upgrade from 17" to 19" LCD for a
    limited time.

    --
    Jake Collins
    http://members.tripod.com/collinsj/

    Jake Collins, Jan 27, 2006
  10. XPD wrote:
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10365515
    >
    > NZ's iPods among most expensive
    >
    > 27.01.06
    > By Peter Nowak
    >

    > New Zealanders are paying twice as much for their iPods on a comparative
    > level as Americans, yet are getting less mileage out of them.
    >

    > No shite sherlock..... show me something electronic in NZ that we dont get
    > ripped for :p

    Apple products are more expensive outside the USA, the 60GB iPod is
    US$399 in the US, US$548 in Europe, and US$477 in NZ
    Jason Fanning, Jan 27, 2006
  11. "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > "XPD" <....nz> wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10365515
    >>
    >>NZ's iPods among most expensive
    >>
    >>27.01.06
    >>By Peter Nowak
    >>

    >>New Zealanders are paying twice as much for their iPods on a comparative
    >>level as Americans, yet are getting less mileage out of them.
    >>

    >>No shite sherlock..... show me something electronic in NZ that we dont get
    >>ripped for :p
    >>

    > The article in the Herald also showed the comparable earning power
    > on NZers compared with other countries. Looks like NZ is going down
    > the tubes as it is becoming a low wage high cost country to live in..
    > Considering that we can't get i tunes here the i pod should heaps
    > cheaper here..
    >
    > Any one heard the Hardly Normal adds recently for their big sale and
    > the tag line at the end?? "Does not apply to Apple products." i.e.
    > The supplier wants to screw you as much as possible..

    It is not really going down the tubes. Having reviewed todays paper, there
    are a lot of very high paying jobs around. But, unfortunately, mainly in the
    legal/finance areas.

    Legal aid lawers are complaining they are only getting $160.00 per hour.
    They want $230/hour.

    Now, where is the low wage economy?
    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 27, 2006
  12. "Jake Collins" <> wrote in message
    > One would have thought so, however a Dell 3100 here
    > http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/dimen_3100?c=nz&l=en&s=dhs
    > is NZ$1298 delivered incl GST
    > A Dell 3100 here
    > http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/dimen_3100?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
    > is about NZ$1073 (of course not able to buy it from here, but that is what
    > an American pays).
    > At present the NZ one comes with a free upgrade from 17" to 19" LCD for a
    > limited time.
    >
    > --
    > Jake Collins
    > http://members.tripod.com/collinsj/
    > "Dibley Fanshaw" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>,
    >> Roger Johnstone <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> We are paying more for iPods, but the "twice as much" the
    >>> article goes on about is a load of crap. By their own figures we're only
    >>> paying 20% more. It's like saying because one person has an income half
    >>> that of another that a car costs twice as much. Pff.

    >> That sort of comparison should always be referenced to the Big Mac
    >> Index. The official exchange rate is a load of bollox compared to the
    >> real prices.
    >>
    >> Having said that, I suspect we get Wintel boxes cheaper here in NZ than
    >> they do in the US. Presumably our proximity to the factories in the Near
    >> NorthWest and the direct contacts rather than down long & expensive
    >> supply chains.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dibley

    nz is generally just expensive. Economies of scale have everything to do
    with this.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 27, 2006
  13. XPD

    Edmund Good Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 09:00:16 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    >nz is generally just expensive. Economies of scale have everything to do
    >with this.

    And as far as the rest of the world is concerned, geographically
    inconvenient. Singapore considers Europe closer than NZ.

    Cheers

    Edmund
    Edmund Good, Jan 28, 2006
  14. XPD

    A Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 20:25:03 +1300, "Jake Collins"
    <> wrote:

    >One would have thought so, however a Dell 3100 here
    >http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/dimen_3100?c=nz&l=en&s=dhs
    >is NZ$1298 delivered incl GST
    >A Dell 3100 here
    >http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/dimen_3100?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
    >is about NZ$1073 (of course not able to buy it from here, but that is what
    >an American pays).
    >At present the NZ one comes with a free upgrade from 17" to 19" LCD for a
    >limited time.

    Did you factor in GST to the US price? If not, then by the time you
    add it back in you're not far off the NZ price.

    Remember - Dell don't get to keep any of the GST which is passed
    straight back to the Government so its a bit harsh blaming Dell for
    the price differential when its not their fault.
    A, Jan 29, 2006
  15. XPD

    MarkH Guest

    Jason Fanning <> wrote in

    > XPD wrote:
    >> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10365515
    >>
    >> NZ's iPods among most expensive
    >>
    >> 27.01.06
    >> By Peter Nowak
    >>

    >> New Zealanders are paying twice as much for their iPods on a
    >> comparative level as Americans, yet are getting less mileage out of
    >> them.
    >>

    >> No shite sherlock..... show me something electronic in NZ that we
    >> dont get ripped for :p
    >>

    > Apple products are more expensive outside the USA, the 60GB iPod is
    > US$399 in the US, US$548 in Europe, and US$477 in NZ

    $400 + GST would be $450. To me $477 seems pretty reasonable compared to
    $400 in the US.

    In the nzherald article they talk about an iPod that costs $313 in the US
    and US$359 here in NZ. That means that it costs US$319+GST here and US$313
    in the states. Is this really proof that we are being ripped off?

    To me the issue of the average income in NZ being lower is a separate one
    from the price of consumer electronics here.

    To buy the same iPod from the US you can find it for $299 and pay
    airfreight of $37, then convert that US$336 to around NZ$480. If you end
    up paying GST then it is dearer than buying one locally.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Jan 29, 2006
  16. In article <TXuCf.35524$>,
    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote:

    > It is not really going down the tubes. Having reviewed todays paper, there
    > are a lot of very high paying jobs around. But, unfortunately, mainly in the
    > legal/finance areas.
    >
    > Legal aid lawers are complaining they are only getting $160.00 per hour.
    > They want $230/hour.
    >
    > Now, where is the low wage economy?

    Lawyers are not competing with government subsidised factories in China.

    --
    Dibley
    Dibley Fanshaw, Jan 30, 2006