NZ Inventor sues Nokia

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by peterwn, May 3, 2007.

  1. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    See:

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10437562

    I am reluctant to 'knock' NZ inventors, but it would seem to me that
    the patent was issued for something that was 'prior art' (thought of
    before) and trivial.

    Schemes to 'encode' 8-bit information on to 7-bit or less transmission
    'media' are commonplace and predate this particular invention. For
    example downloading files from the internet uses such schemes and so
    did downloads from the now obsolete bulletin boards using Kermit and
    other schemes. Applying it for radiocommunications purposes seems
    trivial.

    Recent US Supreme Court rulings on patents would indicate that the
    inventor is going to have an uphill battle on his hands.

    It is important for Kiwi inventors, software developers, etc that
    patent laws are not excessively stringent, otherwise it becomes
    difficult or impossible for them to bring anything to market for fear
    of patent violation.
    peterwn, May 3, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. peterwn

    David Empson Guest

    peterwn <> wrote:

    > See:
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10437562
    >
    > I am reluctant to 'knock' NZ inventors, but it would seem to me that
    > the patent was issued for something that was 'prior art' (thought of
    > before) and trivial.
    >
    > Schemes to 'encode' 8-bit information on to 7-bit or less transmission
    > 'media' are commonplace and predate this particular invention. For
    > example downloading files from the internet uses such schemes and so
    > did downloads from the now obsolete bulletin boards using Kermit and
    > other schemes. Applying it for radiocommunications purposes seems
    > trivial.


    Do you have a reference to more detailed information about the patent?

    A couple of possible cases of prior art, in protocols which are intended
    to be used for radio communication.

    The 1997 edition of the HDLC standard I have on my desk has 7-bit data
    path transparency defined as an optional feature. It wasn't included in
    the 1993 edition of the standard.

    The Modbus protocol dates back to 1985 or earlier, and in one of its
    modes it uses ASCII representation of binary data (pairs of hex digits),
    which can then be transmitted over a 7-bit data path.

    > Recent US Supreme Court rulings on patents would indicate that the
    > inventor is going to have an uphill battle on his hands.


    Agreed.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, May 4, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Thu, 03 May 2007 12:54:34 -0700, peterwn wrote:

    > Recent US Supreme Court rulings on patents would indicate that the
    > inventor is going to have an uphill battle on his hands.


    However, the US Supreme Court's rulings do not apply here in NZ, as
    american law, and, american copyrights, and american patents only apply
    in the USA.


    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    "You'll have to excuse me — I have a long
    bath and a short dress to get into."
    Dianthus Mimulus, May 4, 2007
    #3
  4. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On May 4, 8:20 pm, Dianthus Mimulus <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 May 2007 12:54:34 -0700, peterwn wrote:
    > > Recent US Supreme Court rulings on patents would indicate that the
    > > inventor is going to have an uphill battle on his hands.

    >
    > However, the US Supreme Court's rulings do not apply here in NZ, as
    > american law, and, american copyrights, and american patents only apply
    > in the USA.
    >

    Agreed, but the lawsuit referred to was filed in a USA court, not a
    New Zealand court.
    peterwn, May 4, 2007
    #4
  5. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On May 4, 8:13 pm, (David Empson) wrote:
    > peterwn <> wrote:


    >
    > Do you have a reference to more detailed information about the patent?
    >

    No, I discerned the general nature of the patent from the Herald
    article.
    peterwn, May 4, 2007
    #5
  6. On Fri, 04 May 2007 02:34:53 -0700, peterwn wrote:

    > Agreed, but the lawsuit referred to was filed in a USA court, not a New
    > Zealand court.


    Then wasn't that inventor a stupid person!


    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    "You'll have to excuse me — I have a long
    bath and a short dress to get into."
    Dianthus Mimulus, May 4, 2007
    #6
  7. peterwn

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    peterwn <> wrote:

    > See:
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10437562
    >
    > I am reluctant to 'knock' NZ inventors, but it would seem to me that
    > the patent was issued for something that was 'prior art' (thought of
    > before) and trivial.
    >
    > Schemes to 'encode' 8-bit information on to 7-bit or less transmission
    > 'media' are commonplace and predate this particular invention. For
    > example downloading files from the internet uses such schemes and so
    > did downloads from the now obsolete bulletin boards using Kermit and
    > other schemes. Applying it for radiocommunications purposes seems
    > trivial.
    >
    > Recent US Supreme Court rulings on patents would indicate that the
    > inventor is going to have an uphill battle on his hands.
    >
    > It is important for Kiwi inventors, software developers, etc that
    > patent laws are not excessively stringent, otherwise it becomes
    > difficult or impossible for them to bring anything to market for fear
    > of patent violation.


    actually you will find the ASCII was only ever 7 bits. Kermit etc when
    downloading binaries etc required 8 bits.
    whoisthis, May 4, 2007
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Archer
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    507
  2. shopbb.com
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,191
    shopbb.com
    Nov 18, 2007
  3. DanP
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    280
    Joel Connor
    Aug 20, 2010
  4. (PeteCresswell)
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    275
    otter
    Aug 24, 2010
  5. DanP
    Replies:
    23
    Views:
    697
    Peter
    Aug 29, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page