NZ Herald online survey on Iternet Broadband perfomance, send them your results...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max Burke, Jul 23, 2007.

  1. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    Max Burke, Jul 23, 2007

  2. Max Burke

    XPD Guest

    "Max Burke" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Run the speed test from the link they give and send them your results....
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10453318&ref=rss

    Done....

    Its just on 9pm, and have taken the speed test.

    ISP : IHUG
    Plan : 128k up / Unlimited down (Broadband 3)
    Upload speed : 51 kb/s
    Download Speed : 619 kb/s
    Ping : 122ms

    Now, I cannot blame the slow speed entirely on IHUG, as the lines around
    here seem to let water in heck of a lot, so soon as it rains, my router
    loses the connection and reconnects at anything between 5000k and 256k -
    usually the latter. It has been like this for about 8 months, and my
    previous ISP seemed to be able to get Telecom to reset my port which would
    fix the issue until the next decent bit of rain. IHUG have done the same
    once, but obviously there is a bigger issue here than just my port.
    So really, my connection is pathetic. Its not reliable and is slow as hell.
    I have emailed IHUG regarding this, but heard nothing back at this time -
    thing that Im wondering about now though, who do I complain to for faulty
    lines as I have left Telecom as my telco and moved my line to IHUG etc for
    all telecommunications. Is it IHUG or Telecoms responsibility ?
    Friend of mine not even a kilometre away is with IHUG and gets 6mb
    connections all the time and no disconnections. It bites. Fix it. Someone.
    Please.

    XPD, Jul 23, 2007

  3. Max Burke

    -Newsman- Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 19:18:06 +1200, "Max Burke"
    <> wrote:

    >Run the speed test from the link they give and send them your results....
    >
    >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10453318&ref=rss
    >
    >--

    I'm in Wellington region on TC cable. Connecting to the suggested
    Aukland server has given:

    Download: 2.147Mbps

    Upload: 1.758Mbps

    TC tell me they're about to upgrade me to 4Mbps during the next few
    days for no extra charge.

    My cable connection costs me $29 per month.

    How am I doing, do you reckon?

    -Newsman-, Jul 23, 2007
  4. Max Burke

    -Newsman- Guest

    Re: NZ Herald online survey on Iternet Broadband perfomance, send them your results...

    <> wrote:

    >Run the speed test from the link they give and send them your results....
    >
    >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10453318&ref=rss
    >
    >--

    I'm in Wellington region on TC cable. Connecting to the suggested
    Aukland server has given:

    Download: 2.147Mbps

    Upload: 1.758Mbps

    Ping: 32ms

    -Newsman-, Jul 23, 2007
  5. "XPD" <> wrote in message

    > Its just on 9pm, and have taken the speed test.
    >
    > ISP : IHUG
    > Plan : 128k up / Unlimited down (Broadband 3)
    > Upload speed : 51 kb/s
    > Download Speed : 619 kb/s
    > Ping : 122ms

    ISP: Orcon
    Upload: 129 kb/s
    Download: 4010 kb/s
    Ping: 143 ms

    Abstract Reasoning, Jul 23, 2007
  6. Max Burke

    XPD Guest

    "-Newsman-" <> wrote in message

    > Download: 2.147Mbps
    >
    > Upload: 1.758Mbps
    >
    > TC tell me they're about to upgrade me to 4Mbps during the next few
    > days for no extra charge.
    >
    > My cable connection costs me $29 per month.
    >
    > How am I doing, do you reckon?

    Wanna swap ? :)

    XPD, Jul 23, 2007
  7. Re: NZ Herald online survey on Iternet Broadband perfomance, sendthem your results...

    Hi there,

    Max Burke wrote:
    > Run the speed test from the link they give and send them your results....
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10453318&ref=rss

    Very unusual results. I got 4000 kbps from Napier, 2600 kbps from
    Auckland, 12600 kbps from Adelaide, 12200 kbps from Sydney, but less
    than 3000 kbps from Brisbane where I live!

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 23, 2007
  8. Max Burke

    Cima Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:54:47 +1200, "XPD" <> wrote:

    >"-Newsman-" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Download: 2.147Mbps
    >>
    >> Upload: 1.758Mbps
    >>
    >> TC tell me they're about to upgrade me to 4Mbps during the next few
    >> days for no extra charge.
    >>
    >> My cable connection costs me $29 per month.
    >>
    >> How am I doing, do you reckon?

    >Wanna swap ? :)

    Yeah, I'd take that upload speed! Nice.

    Down 3630 kb/s
    Up 124 kb/s

    Cima, Jul 23, 2007
  9. Max Burke

    Ross Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:41:28 +1200, "Abstract Reasoning"
    <> wrote:

    >"XPD" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Its just on 9pm, and have taken the speed test.
    >>
    >> ISP : IHUG
    >> Plan : 128k up / Unlimited down (Broadband 3)
    >> Upload speed : 51 kb/s
    >> Download Speed : 619 kb/s
    >> Ping : 122ms

    >ISP: Orcon
    >Upload: 129 kb/s
    >Download: 4010 kb/s
    >Ping: 143 ms

    10pm
    ISP:Actrix
    Plan: 256 kb / 128 kb
    Download: 2596 kb/s
    Upload:127 kb/s
    Ping: 177 ms (hey I'm in Palmerston North)

    Ross, Jul 23, 2007
  10. Max Burke

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in
    message news:46a48022$...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Max Burke wrote:
    >> Run the speed test from the link they give and send them your results....
    >>
    >> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10453318&ref=rss

    > Very unusual results. I got 4000 kbps from Napier, 2600 kbps from
    > Auckland, 12600 kbps from Adelaide, 12200 kbps from Sydney, but less
    > than 3000 kbps from Brisbane where I live!

    On Ihug which has had a massive slowdown in the last 4 or 5 days.

    10.45pm
    Down 357k
    Up 646k

    on the Napier link which use to get 5600 down and over 600 up I';m now
    getting 330 down and 644 up.
    Something is seriously screwed at the moment on Ihug.

    Very interesting after more testing all download speeds are down to below
    10% of what they were before last Thursday.

    Craig Sutton, Jul 23, 2007
  11. Max Burke

    Miguel Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 09:38:58 +0000, -Newsman- wrote:

    > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 19:18:06 +1200, "Max Burke" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Run the speed test from the link they give and send them your
    >>results....
    >>
    >>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?

    c_id=5&objectid=10453318&ref=rss

    >>--

    > I'm in Wellington region on TC cable. Connecting to the suggested
    > Aukland server has given:
    >
    > Download: 2.147Mbps
    >
    > Upload: 1.758Mbps
    >
    > Ping: 32ms
    >
    > TC tell me they're about to upgrade me to 4Mbps during the next few days
    > for no extra charge.
    >
    > My cable connection costs me $29 per month.
    >
    > How am I doing, do you reckon?

    Sounds good. Do you unlimited transfers or a daily/monthly cap.

    For the record.....

    Actrix Go Large

    Download: 2255 kbps

    Upload: 128 kbps

    Ping: 132ms

    Miguel

    Miguel, Jul 24, 2007
  12. Max Burke

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Abstract Reasoning wrote:
    > "XPD" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Its just on 9pm, and have taken the speed test.
    >>
    >> ISP : IHUG
    >> Plan : 128k up / Unlimited down (Broadband 3)
    >> Upload speed : 51 kb/s
    >> Download Speed : 619 kb/s
    >> Ping : 122ms

    > ISP: Orcon
    > Upload: 129 kb/s
    > Download: 4010 kb/s
    > Ping: 143 ms

    And what plan are you on ;-)

    -=rjh=-, Jul 24, 2007
  13. Max Burke

    -Newsman- Guest

    Re: NZ Herald online survey on Iternet Broadband perfomance, sendthem your results...

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 01:45:25 +0200 (CEST), Miguel
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 09:38:58 +0000, -Newsman- wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 19:18:06 +1200, "Max Burke" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Run the speed test from the link they give and send them your
    >>>results....
    >>>
    >>>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?

    >c_id=5&objectid=10453318&ref=rss
    >>>
    >>>--

    >> I'm in Wellington region on TC cable. Connecting to the suggested
    >> Aukland server has given:
    >>
    >> Download: 2.147Mbps
    >>
    >> Upload: 1.758Mbps
    >>
    >> Ping: 32ms
    >>
    >> TC tell me they're about to upgrade me to 4Mbps during the next few days
    >> for no extra charge.
    >>
    >> My cable connection costs me $29 per month.
    >>
    >> How am I doing, do you reckon?

    >Sounds good. Do you unlimited transfers or a daily/monthly cap.

    5G per month which is always more than enough because I'm not
    interested in movie downloads and other bandwidth-hungry material.
    Occasionally I Skype with pics, but most times audio-only discussion
    is sufficient.

    >For the record.....
    >
    >Actrix Go Large
    >
    >Download: 2255 kbps
    >
    >Upload: 128 kbps
    >
    >Ping: 132ms

    I wouldn't pay one cent for your upload speed, it's terrible.

    What do you pay per month for your connection?

    -Newsman-, Jul 24, 2007
  14. Max Burke

    Miguel Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 06:49:10 +0000, -Newsman- wrote:

    > On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 01:45:25 +0200 (CEST), Miguel <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 09:38:58 +0000, -Newsman- wrote:

    >>c_id=5&objectid=10453318&ref=rss

    >>> I'm in Wellington region on TC cable. Connecting to the suggested
    >>> Aukland server has given:
    >>>
    >>> Download: 2.147Mbps
    >>>
    >>> Upload: 1.758Mbps
    >>>
    >>> Ping: 32ms
    >>>
    >>> TC tell me they're about to upgrade me to 4Mbps during the next few
    >>> days for no extra charge.
    >>>
    >>> My cable connection costs me $29 per month.
    >>>
    >>> How am I doing, do you reckon?

    >>Sounds good. Do you have unlimited transfers or a daily/monthly cap.

    > 5G per month which is always more than enough because I'm not interested
    > in movie downloads and other bandwidth-hungry material. Occasionally I
    > Skype with pics, but most times audio-only discussion is sufficient.
    >>
    >>For the record.....
    >>
    >>Actrix Go Large
    >>
    >>Download: 2255 kbps
    >>
    >>Upload: 128 kbps
    >>
    >>Ping: 132ms
    >>

    > I wouldn't pay one cent for your upload speed, it's terrible.
    >
    > What do you pay per month for your connection?

    $49.95 per month.

    Go Large is unlimited transfers at (unofficially) 256/128
    On average I'd usually transfer about 50-60 GB per month.
    Ratio is about 35GB down 25GB up.

    TV shows mostly. Old and new. Torrents and the aMule network.
    No games or movies cos my attention span is one hour tops.

    Regards
    Miguel

    Miguel, Jul 24, 2007
  15. Max Burke

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in
    > message news:46a48022$...
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > Max Burke wrote:
    > > > Run the speed test from the link they give and send them your
    > > > results....
    > > > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10453318&ref=rss

    > > Very unusual results. I got 4000 kbps from Napier, 2600 kbps from
    > > Auckland, 12600 kbps from Adelaide, 12200 kbps from Sydney, but less
    > > than 3000 kbps from Brisbane where I live!
    > >

    > On Ihug which has had a massive slowdown in the last 4 or 5 days.
    >
    > 10.45pm
    > Down 357k
    > Up 646k
    >

    > on the Napier link which use to get 5600 down and over 600 up I';m now
    > getting 330 down and 644 up.
    > Something is seriously screwed at the moment on Ihug.
    >

    > Very interesting after more testing all download speeds are down to
    > below 10% of what they were before last Thursday.

    That can't be right! I see on TV several times an hour that Ihug (with the
    big smiley-face) are just the bee's-knees. It has to be true or it wouldn't
    be on telly. ;-)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 24, 2007
  16. "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message

    > And what plan are you on ;-)

    Just their 5GB cheapie. Obviously I'm quite pleased with the
    price/performance ratio after what I regularly hear in these forums.

    Abstract Reasoning, Jul 24, 2007
  17. Max Burke

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    >> "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in
    >> message news:46a48022$...
    >> > Hi there,

    >> > Very unusual results. I got 4000 kbps from Napier, 2600 kbps from
    >> > Auckland, 12600 kbps from Adelaide, 12200 kbps from Sydney, but less
    >> > than 3000 kbps from Brisbane where I live!
    >> >

    >> On Ihug which has had a massive slowdown in the last 4 or 5 days.
    >>
    >> 10.45pm
    >> Down 357k
    >> Up 646k
    >>

    >> on the Napier link which use to get 5600 down and over 600 up I';m now
    >> getting 330 down and 644 up.
    >> Something is seriously screwed at the moment on Ihug.
    >>

    >> Very interesting after more testing all download speeds are down to
    >> below 10% of what they were before last Thursday.

    > That can't be right! I see on TV several times an hour that Ihug (with the
    > big smiley-face) are just the bee's-knees. It has to be true or it
    > wouldn't be on telly. ;-)
    > --

    Have continued this thread on Pcworld forum.

    Craig Sutton, Jul 24, 2007
  18. >> > Max Burke wrote:

    >> > Very unusual results. I got 4000 kbps from Napier, 2600 kbps from
    >> > Auckland, 12600 kbps from Adelaide, 12200 kbps from Sydney, but less
    >> > than 3000 kbps from Brisbane where I live!

    I'd love to see what results the nzherald get out of it and what conclusions
    they get. As I own the website which the tests are done from (speedtest.net
    uses www.nzdsl.co.nz for the tests) I can see all the tests been done and
    over the last couple of years I have over 2,000,000 speedtests done on the
    website (mostly from NZ).

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Jul 24, 2007
  19. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    !NZHearld Followup: NZ Herald online survey on Iternet Broadband perfomance, send them your results...

    Six pages of comments from readers:
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10454227

    >In news: Max Burke Scribbled:
    > Run the speed test from the link they give and send them your
    > results....
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10453318&ref=rss

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Jul 27, 2007
  20. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    Re: !NZHearld Followup: NZ Herald online survey on Iternet Broadband perfomance, send them your results...

    And the Survey results:
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10454199

    Max Burke, Jul 27, 2007