NZ has such poor broadband Microsoft is worried they cannot offer "Live"

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 27, 2005.

  1. Microsofts future "Live" offerings apparently rely on decent broadband
    connections. MS are so worried about the state of NZ broadband that even
    they are whining to the govt now.

    This statement is from the govt....

    Not to have fast, affordable, ubiquitous broadband in the 21st century is
    commercial "suicide", he told the conference in a keynote address

    Those govt fuckers have been supporting telecom for the last 6 years so they
    should stop spouting garbage and take action ASAP.

    http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/6594BB372C5BCD6BCC2570C400141CDE

    Microsoft appears to be adding to the impetus for New Zealand to increase
    uptake of broadband, with a discreet word in communications minister David
    Cunliffe's ear.

    "Microsoft has been in to me and put me on notice as minister that action
    needs to be taken on broadband," Cunliffe told Computerworld at a meeting
    before the Digital Cities and Regional Networks conference in Wellington.
    The company has an eye to the local viability of its "Live" plan to provide
    software as a service and efficient infrastructure is critical to this
    trend, he says.

    Increasingly online industry and commerce and a rising generation expecting
    fast information service will provide a pincer movement awakening the rest
    of New Zealand's population to the potential of broadband, Cunliffe says.
    The move towards online provision of applications services is just one more
    element in the growing case for higher bandwidth.

    Microsoft declines to comment "at present" on any conversation it may have
    had with Cunliffe on the subject of communications infrastructure.

    Gerrit Bahlmann, treasurer of the Next Generation Internet consortium,
    points to the emergence of Google Earth as an example of broadband value for
    the general population. Visiting another city, he was able to pull up aerial
    views and choose a hotel based on its proximity to the places he planned to
    visit, he says. "Imagine how much more valuable that would be in real time."

    Pressed on the ordinary Kiwi's recognition of a need for broadband service,
    Cunliffe cited the potential for telework and avoidance of traffic
    congestion in large cities. There are pleasant locations in New Zealand
    which knowledge workers and creative people would love to have as a base, as
    long as they could conduct national and international business through a
    high-capacity link, he says. "Name me a country that stands to benefit more
    from the abolition of distance."

    However, neither Cunliffe nor former Wellington mayor Fran Wilde will
    venture a view on why the Close2:Kapiti trial, aimed at encouraging people
    living in the Kapiti area to avoid the commute into Wellington, met with
    such a disappointing response that it was not followed up.

    Teleworking does raise objections on organisational grounds, from managers
    concerned that teleworkers are outside immediate supervision, says Wilde,
    but these difficulties "are only in the managers' minds". If teleworkers did
    not produce their quota of work, this would soon be noticed, she says.

    Promoting attitudinal changes of that sort alongside development of the
    infrastructure "is what the Digital Strategy's all about", says Cunliffe.

    Not to have fast, affordable, ubiquitous broadband in the 21st century is
    commercial "suicide", he told the conference in a keynote address. He also
    agreed with a speaker from the floor, John Heard, one of the founders of
    CityLink, that New Zealand telcos are risk-averse with investment and prefer
    to pay large dividends to their shareholders. "You're right," Cunliffe says.
    "They should forget about dividends and invest in growth."
    news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 27, 2005

  2. On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:50:32 +1300, someone purporting to be
    news.xtra.co.nz didst scrawl:

    *SNIP*
    > Those govt fuckers have been supporting telecom for the last 6 years so
    > they should stop spouting garbage and take action ASAP.

    *SNIP*

    I think you'll find it's 15 years. And we shall see what happens when
    Parliament resumes in February, since they will then have the figures on
    how dismally Telecon failed to live up to their side of the deal with
    regards to the local loop not being unbundled.
    Hopefully Cunliffe will have a little more success with Cabinet than Swain
    did.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."
    Matthew Poole, Nov 28, 2005

  3. news.xtra.co.nz

    thing2 Guest

    Re: NZ has such poor broadband Microsoft is worried they cannot offer"Live"

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> [...]
    > concerned that teleworkers are outside immediate supervision, says Wilde,
    > but these difficulties "are only in the managers' minds". If teleworkers did
    > not produce their quota of work, this would soon be noticed, she says.
    >
    > Promoting attitudinal changes of that sort alongside development of the
    > infrastructure "is what the Digital Strategy's all about", says Cunliffe.
    >
    > Not to have fast, affordable, ubiquitous broadband in the 21st century is
    > commercial "suicide", he told the conference in a keynote address. He also
    > agreed with a speaker from the floor, John Heard, one of the founders of
    > CityLink, that New Zealand telcos are risk-averse with investment and prefer
    > to pay large dividends to their shareholders. "You're right," Cunliffe says.
    > "They should forget about dividends and invest in growth."

    Interesting that MS was getting into bed with Xtra and telecom at one
    stage....now it seems they have had a wee falling out.......

    regards

    Thing
    thing2, Nov 28, 2005
  4. On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:50:32 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > There are pleasant locations in New Zealand
    > which knowledge workers and creative people would love to have as a base, as
    > long as they could conduct national and international business through a
    > high-capacity link, he says

    Notice that he did not say "high speed" or "full speed". Most users of
    ADSL services already connect through "high-capacity" links - it's just
    that those links are not used to anything like full capacity, or full
    speed.

    The speeds currently offered at (still higher than) reasonably realistic
    prices are only "high speed" when considered in comparison with the
    slowness of dialup modems; and a P2P connection can only function up to
    the maximum speed of the uplink - not at the speed of the downlink.

    If a word from Micro$oft can have such an impact on Cunliffe, then why
    can't a word from the Free Software Foundation have a similar impact?

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    Free software on every PC on every desk.
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Nov 28, 2005
  5. On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:04:11 +1300, thing2 wrote:

    > Interesting that MS was getting into bed with Xtra and telecom at one
    > stage....now it seems they have had a wee falling out.......

    Possibly because Telecon/Xtra considered that it would make more money
    from extorting a small number of "broadband" users rather than providing
    genuine full speed broadband to everybody at affordable prices; whereas
    Micro$oft was wanting Telecon.Xtra to provide broadband at near cost so
    that Micro$oft could make most of the profit...... possibly.

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    "I'd hate to be furniture in Ballmer's office."
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Nov 28, 2005
  6. news.xtra.co.nz

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:50:32 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > Those govt fuckers have been supporting telecom for the last 6 years so they
    > should stop spouting garbage and take action ASAP.

    6 years ?!? **** off! National did at least *9* years of Telecom
    cock-sucking before the current mob took over.

    All the right-wing fascists in these groups FAILED to comment negatively on
    THAT little fact all during...

    Amazing thing that: the same wankers who NOW whine and bitch about Labour
    not doing this, not fixing that, were fully supporting National previously
    with their silence on the same issues.

    Wank wank... It'd have to be the number ONE reason I consider most
    right-wing supporters to be either mentally retarded or psychopathically
    hypocritical...

    --

    .... Brendan

    #365072 +(4643)- [X]

    <xxxGirlygirlxxx> Thank you for listening to me.
    <xxxGirlygirlxxx> You know your a really good listener.
    <xxxGirlygirlxxx> Sweety please say something.
    <Sandaedar> Ok I'm back.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 29/11/2005 12:39:58 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Nov 28, 2005
  7. news.xtra.co.nz

    Richard Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:50:32 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >

    >>Those govt fuckers have been supporting telecom for the last 6 years so they
    >>should stop spouting garbage and take action ASAP.

    > 6 years ?!? **** off! National did at least *9* years of Telecom
    > cock-sucking before the current mob took over.
    >
    > All the right-wing fascists in these groups FAILED to comment negatively on
    > THAT little fact all during...
    >
    > Amazing thing that: the same wankers who NOW whine and bitch about Labour
    > not doing this, not fixing that, were fully supporting National previously
    > with their silence on the same issues.
    >
    > Wank wank... It'd have to be the number ONE reason I consider most
    > right-wing supporters to be either mentally retarded or psychopathically
    > hypocritical...

    Back then it wasnt clear that there would even be ADSL initially, and then there
    were not too many complaints about it. its only in the last 3-4 years that
    people have really started to get shitty about it and want to see something
    done. I dont think either party would have handled things that differently.

    Were labour bitching about it last time when Maurice was incharge of telecomm's?
    I cant recall that far back.
    Richard, Nov 28, 2005
  8. news.xtra.co.nz

    Peter Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > Microsofts future "Live" offerings apparently rely on decent broadband
    > connections. MS are so worried about the state of NZ broadband that even
    > they are whining to the govt now.

    Who cares what Microsoft think, and why should microsoft have privileged
    access to politicians, senior managers, etc compared with access available
    to mere mortals and employees.
    Peter, Nov 29, 2005
  9. news.xtra.co.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Microsofts future "Live" offerings apparently rely on decent
    >> broadband connections. MS are so worried about the state of NZ
    >> broadband that even they are whining to the govt now.
    >>

    > Who cares what Microsoft think, and why should microsoft have
    > privileged access to politicians, senior managers, etc compared with
    > access available to mere mortals and employees.

    Who gives a shit? If they can get Telecom (and hence other ISPs) to offer
    better broadband, I'll actually buy more MS products to show my
    appreciation. All my mice are MS opticals and I like them.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 29, 2005
  10. news.xtra.co.nz

    MarkH Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > Peter wrote:
    >> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Microsofts future "Live" offerings apparently rely on decent
    >>> broadband connections. MS are so worried about the state of NZ
    >>> broadband that even they are whining to the govt now.
    >>>

    >> Who cares what Microsoft think, and why should microsoft have
    >> privileged access to politicians, senior managers, etc compared with
    >> access available to mere mortals and employees.

    > Who gives a shit? If they can get Telecom (and hence other ISPs) to
    > offer better broadband, I'll actually buy more MS products to show my
    > appreciation. All my mice are MS opticals and I like them.

    I agree, MS are even helping the Linux community by pushing for better
    broadband (I use a reasonable amount of bandwidth downloading Linux ISOs).

    But MS optical mice are not as good as the Logitech ones.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Nov 29, 2005
  11. news.xtra.co.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Peter wrote:

    >>> Who cares what Microsoft think, and why should microsoft have
    >>> privileged access to politicians, senior managers, etc compared with
    >>> access available to mere mortals and employees.

    >> Who gives a shit? If they can get Telecom (and hence other ISPs) to
    >> offer better broadband, I'll actually buy more MS products to show my
    >> appreciation. All my mice are MS opticals and I like them.

    > I agree, MS are even helping the Linux community by pushing for better
    > broadband (I use a reasonable amount of bandwidth downloading Linux
    > ISOs).
    >
    > But MS optical mice are not as good as the Logitech ones.

    Ok. I had a bad experience with a Logitech mouse years ago. Cost me around
    $80 (which was a lot for me back then) and was crap (tm). Since then I've
    used MS mice from places like OEM Computers, currently around $30 for the
    basic optical and good for a few years, and have had no complaints.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 29, 2005
  12. news.xtra.co.nz

    XP Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:06:18 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >"~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Peter wrote:

    >>> Who cares what Microsoft think, and why should microsoft have
    >>> privileged access to politicians, senior managers, etc compared with
    >>> access available to mere mortals and employees.

    >> Who gives a shit? If they can get Telecom (and hence other ISPs) to
    >> offer better broadband, I'll actually buy more MS products to show my
    >> appreciation. All my mice are MS opticals and I like them.

    >I agree, MS are even helping the Linux community by pushing for better
    >broadband (I use a reasonable amount of bandwidth downloading Linux ISOs).
    >
    >But MS optical mice are not as good as the Logitech ones.

    But what about this one

    http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/laser.htm

    http://www.gamewizz.com/product.php?id=14121

    This one looks different

    http://www.gamesman.co.nz/product.php?id=4938

    The Warehouse stocks the Black one..
    XP, Nov 29, 2005
  13. news.xtra.co.nz

    brianM Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:18:14 +1000, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Peter wrote:
    >> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Microsofts future "Live" offerings apparently rely on decent broadband
    >>> connections. MS are so worried about the state of NZ broadband that
    >>> even they are whining to the govt now.
    >>>

    >> Who cares what Microsoft think, and why should microsoft have
    >> privileged access to politicians, senior managers, etc compared with
    >> access available to mere mortals and employees.

    > Who gives a shit? If they can get Telecom (and hence other ISPs) to
    > offer better broadband, I'll actually buy more MS products to show my
    > appreciation. All my mice are MS opticals and I like them.

    Here's another thought.
    With Googledom's net-domination depending on good steady broadband feed,
    you would think that Microsoft would be scrambling to keep the status
    quo, afterall, why would they want to play into Googles hands unless they
    believe they can outgoogle them. If Google brings out an open source
    cross-platform browser, the fat lady will be warming up the vocals.
    I predicted in 2002 on this group that the internet might fork and I
    still hold that view. Two internets? sounds impossible?. The coming
    battle between Microsoft and Google is going to more fun to watch than
    Gladiator.

    good stuff on Google at

    cheers
    BrianM
    brianM, Nov 30, 2005
  14. news.xtra.co.nz

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 12:25:02 +1300, Richard wrote:

    > Back then it wasnt clear that there would even be ADSL initially, and then there
    > were not too many complaints about it. its only in the last 3-4 years that
    > people have really started to get shitty about it and want to see something
    > done. I dont think either party would have handled things that differently.

    I think either party could have looked at what was happening overseas.

    > Were labour bitching about it last time when Maurice was incharge of telecomm's?
    > I cant recall that far back.

    No, they were not. And neither has National, act, or any of the other
    useless bastards.

    Because they are politicians. Unless it gets them votes or saves them
    embarrassment, they do not care. What pisses me off though just as much is
    how the right wing supporters conveiniently forget and ignore their sides
    abysmal performance in the past so they can freely bash the other side.

    Hypocrisy.

    And they wonder why they are looked down on ?

    --

    .... Brendan

    #8814 +(5882)- [X]

    <Night-hen-gayle> I gotta go. There's a dude next to me and he's watching
    me type, which is sort of starting to creep me out. Yes dude next to me, I
    mean you.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 30/11/2005 2:09:21 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Nov 30, 2005
  15. news.xtra.co.nz

    MarkH Guest

    XP <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:06:18 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:
    >
    >>But MS optical mice are not as good as the Logitech ones.

    > But what about this one
    >
    > http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/laser.htm
    >

    > http://www.gamewizz.com/product.php?id=14121

    What about it? It offers nothing that is not on my current Logitech mouse
    and my Logitech is cordless.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Nov 30, 2005
  16. news.xtra.co.nz

    MarkH Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > MarkH wrote:

    >> But MS optical mice are not as good as the Logitech ones.

    > Ok. I had a bad experience with a Logitech mouse years ago. Cost me
    > around $80 (which was a lot for me back then) and was crap (tm). Since
    > then I've used MS mice from places like OEM Computers, currently
    > around $30 for the basic optical and good for a few years, and have
    > had no complaints.

    After 2 MS optical mice failed I bought a Logitech MX-300 about 3 years
    ago, it is still working well. I now use a Logitech MX-1000 cordless laser
    mouse and it is damn good. I regularly use MS mice at customer sites and I
    don't find them as good as my 3 year old Logitech mouse.

    But to each their own I suppose.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Nov 30, 2005
  17. news.xtra.co.nz

    XP Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:07:39 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >XP <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:06:18 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>But MS optical mice are not as good as the Logitech ones.

    >> But what about this one
    >>
    >> http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/laser.htm
    >>

    >> http://www.gamewizz.com/product.php?id=14121

    >What about it? It offers nothing that is not on my current Logitech mouse
    >and my Logitech is cordless.

    Yes but the Price..?

    I play games, cordless mice are useless that is why I have a G5
    XP, Nov 30, 2005
  18. news.xtra.co.nz

    XP Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:10:53 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >"~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> MarkH wrote:

    >>> But MS optical mice are not as good as the Logitech ones.

    >> Ok. I had a bad experience with a Logitech mouse years ago. Cost me
    >> around $80 (which was a lot for me back then) and was crap (tm). Since
    >> then I've used MS mice from places like OEM Computers, currently
    >> around $30 for the basic optical and good for a few years, and have
    >> had no complaints.

    >After 2 MS optical mice failed I bought a Logitech MX-300 about 3 years
    >ago, it is still working well. I now use a Logitech MX-1000 cordless laser
    >mouse and it is damn good. I regularly use MS mice at customer sites and I
    >don't find them as good as my 3 year old Logitech mouse.
    >
    >But to each their own I suppose.

    I have one of the First Topend Led MS mice( intelliMouse Explorer) , the first
    one had the Button problem and Brett Roberts here had it replaced, must be
    some 4 years old now and still working 100%

    Mind you I do not abuse the stuff I have..
    XP, Nov 30, 2005
  19. news.xtra.co.nz

    Richard Guest

    XP wrote:

    > I have one of the First Topend Led MS mice( intelliMouse Explorer) , the first
    > one had the Button problem and Brett Roberts here had it replaced, must be
    > some 4 years old now and still working 100%
    >
    > Mind you I do not abuse the stuff I have..

    My MS trackball optical (the one with the red light around the ball) is still
    working 100 % - there is a small chip in the ball that occasionally clicks over
    the little metal supports, but other then that its as smooth as the day I got it.
    Richard, Nov 30, 2005
  20. news.xtra.co.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> MarkH wrote:

    >>> But MS optical mice are not as good as the Logitech ones.

    >> Ok. I had a bad experience with a Logitech mouse years ago. Cost me
    >> around $80 (which was a lot for me back then) and was crap (tm).
    >> Since then I've used MS mice from places like OEM Computers,
    >> currently around $30 for the basic optical and good for a few years,
    >> and have had no complaints.

    > After 2 MS optical mice failed I bought a Logitech MX-300 about 3
    > years ago, it is still working well. I now use a Logitech MX-1000
    > cordless laser mouse and it is damn good. I regularly use MS mice at
    > customer sites and I don't find them as good as my 3 year old
    > Logitech mouse.
    >
    > But to each their own I suppose.

    Oh well, if and when I find myself in the position/s of having need of a
    mouse and having money I may give Logitech another chance.

    I'm afraid that, for me, it's not a matter of what's better, it's a matter
    of what's affordable. Who would have thought that a MS product would fit
    that bill?

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~