NZ gets less bang for broadband buck

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by 2tone, May 29, 2006.

  1. 2tone

    2tone Guest

    NZ gets less bang for broadband buck
    By ADRIAN BATHGATE

    New Zealand broadband users are paying reasonable prices but getting
    less for their money compared with the rest of the developed world, a
    new study shows.

    The study, commissioned by lobby group InternetNZ, rates New Zealand
    22nd out of 26 countries surveyed, with local plans performing
    reasonably on cost and performance but restrictive data caps limiting
    the effectiveness of high-speed Internet.

    However, the study says, if the comparison had been made before the
    recent upgrades to Telecom's JetStream plans, "New Zealand would have
    undoubtedly languished in last place".

    Countries were ranked by a combination of speed, price and the amount
    of restrictions to give them an overall value rating. Sweden came out
    on top, followed by the Netherlands and Norway.

    A total of 2586 broadband packages from 388 Internet service providers
    over the 26 countries were analysed, with the data taken from prices in
    early May.

    InternetNZ executive director Keith Davidson said: "New Zealand's
    position can best be described as not paying much, and not getting much
    for its money."

    In terms of overall prices, New Zealand fared well, coming in at sixth.
    Business packages were ranked third and residential 15th on a price
    basis.

    Mr Davidson said the report showed New Zealand was out of step by
    having data caps as the norm, and this created a serious constraint on
    Internet use.

    New Zealand rated the worst for data caps, with nearly all plans having
    some form of restriction on the amount of data that could be
    downloaded.

    "This report gives a clear fail grade to the current offerings," he
    said. "Telecom and the rest of the industry need to give up data caps
    as soon as possible."

    The report noted that it was impossible to draw conclusions between the
    regulatory environment and value of uptake of broadband. It noted that
    New Zealand consumers faced "significantly less variety" in the choice
    of broadband plans and providers.

    On an average download speed basis, New Zealand was about the midpoint,
    with an average speed of 2.7 megabits per second across all broadband
    plans. But a comparison of upload speeds saw New Zealand fourth last,
    with a low average of 256 kilobits per second.

    While download speeds were found to be more important across ISPs'
    promotional material, upload speeds are increasing in importance for
    services such as making voice calls over the Internet.

    New Zealand is also believed to fare badly in contention ratios - the
    number of users competing for the same amount of bandwidth - though
    Telecom does not disclose the exact figures.

    *********************
    *********************

    post script .. more great work by InternetNZ

    *******************
    *******************

    2tone, May 29, 2006

  2. 2tone

    Philip Guest

    2tone wrote:
> [...]
    > New Zealand consumers faced "significantly less variety" in the choice
    > of broadband plans and providers.
    >
    > On an average download speed basis, New Zealand was about the midpoint,
    > with an average speed of 2.7 megabits per second across all broadband
    > plans. But a comparison of upload speeds saw New Zealand fourth last,
    > with a low average of 256 kilobits per second.
    >
    > While download speeds were found to be more important across ISPs'
    > promotional material, upload speeds are increasing in importance for
    > services such as making voice calls over the Internet.
    >
    > New Zealand is also believed to fare badly in contention ratios - the
    > number of users competing for the same amount of bandwidth - though
    > Telecom does not disclose the exact figures.
    >

    > *********************
    > *********************
    >
    > post script .. more great work by InternetNZ

    It's getti g clearer and clearer that Theresa Gattung making nice noises
    at conferences is a front for the same old same old Telecom story.

    This company will lie and lie again. Their current main focus seems to
    be to suppress online availability of the Telecon spoof advert,
    acvcusing the uploadfers of breach of copyright, although some
    commentators believe it's actually protected free speech.

    It's increasingly obvious that the only reasonable course of action now
    if to compulsorily break up the Telecom company and enforce a vigorous
    regulatory climate on its successors.

    Philip

    Philip, May 30, 2006

  3. 2tone

    Tom Guest

    Perhaps this is a dumb question:
    For how long do you think Theresa Gattung can survive in Telecom?

    Tom, May 30, 2006
  4. On Tue, 30 May 2006 14:26:24 +1200, someone purporting to be Tom didst
    scrawl:

    > Perhaps this is a dumb question:
    > For how long do you think Theresa Gattung can survive in Telecom?

    *SNIP*

    I give her until the AGM, at which point there will likely be a resolution
    from the floor to give her the flick. It may even extend to a vote of no
    confidence in the Board, or at least the Chairman.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, May 30, 2006
  5. 2tone

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 30 May 2006 14:26:24 +1200, "Tom"
    <> wrote:

    >Perhaps this is a dumb question:
    >For how long do you think Theresa Gattung can survive in Telecom?

    Given that she is making lots of money for Telecom's shareholders for
    little expense, only giving an impression of improving service with
    her smoke and mirrors tricks, quite a while.

    GraB, May 30, 2006
  6. 2tone

    Tom Guest

    The past is over. Now she is a negative asset of Telecom. If I were the
    shareholder certainly I would like to get rid of her as soon as possible.

    Tom, May 30, 2006
  7. On Mon, 29 May 2006 14:38:57 -0700, 2tone wrote:

    > In terms of overall prices, New Zealand fared well, coming in at sixth.

    Is that "sixth most expensive"?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 30, 2006
  8. On Tue, 30 May 2006 20:00:46 +1200, someone purporting to be Have A Nice
    Cup of Tea didst scrawl:

    > On Mon, 29 May 2006 14:38:57 -0700, 2tone wrote:
    >
    >> In terms of overall prices, New Zealand fared well, coming in at sixth.

    > Is that "sixth most expensive"?

    No, just sixth. Price is independent of the quality of the underlying
    service.

    Matthew Poole, May 30, 2006
  9. On Tue, 30 May 2006 20:21:37 +1200, Matthew Poole wrote:

    >>> In terms of overall prices, New Zealand fared well, coming in at sixth.

    >> Is that "sixth most expensive"?
    >>

    > No, just sixth. Price is independent of the quality of the underlying

    So was that sixth cheapest of sixth most expensive?

    Who was discussing "quality of the underlying" (whatever "the underlying"
    is")?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 31, 2006
  10. On Wed, 31 May 2006 22:39:09 +1200, someone purporting to be Have A Nice
    Cup of Tea didst scrawl:

    >>> Is that "sixth most expensive"?
    >>>

    >> No, just sixth. Price is independent of the quality of the underlying

    > So was that sixth cheapest of sixth most expensive?

    One assumes sixth cheapest.

    > Who was discussing "quality of the underlying" (whatever "the underlying"
    > is")?

    Somehow you lost the word "service" out of that. And you can't just look
    at prices, much as Telescum would like that to be so. You have to look at
    what you get for that price. We could be paying $5/month for a 1Gbps
    connection, but if you only got 100MB of traffic and then paid a dollar
    per MB it would be a Clayton's service.

    Matthew Poole, May 31, 2006