    I have done a scan and update and nothing seems wrong.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Feb 16, 2010

  2. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    news:hleu46$pjj$-september.org...
    > In the list of newsgroup in Folders, this morning nz.general is shown in
    > red. It's never done that before.
    >
    > Is there any reason for this that I should know?
    >
    > When I turned the computer on, Trend Micro was not on, but it came on when
    > I restarted.
    >
    > I have done a scan and update and nothing seems wrong.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Geopelia

    If I click on nz.general now, it goes black. When I click on another group,
    nz.general goes red again. Very odd.
    Geopelia, Feb 16, 2010

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >> In the list of newsgroup in Folders, this morning nz.general is shown in
    >> red. It's never done that before.
    >>
    >> Is there any reason for this that I should know?
    >>
    >> When I turned the computer on, Trend Micro was not on, but it came on
    >> when I restarted.
    >>
    >> I have done a scan and update and nothing seems wrong.
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >> Geopelia
    >>

    > If I click on nz.general now, it goes black. When I click on another
    > group, nz.general goes red again. Very odd.

    I think I know what's happened. One of the threads is shown in red when I
    open nz.general.
    Somebody must want me to have a look.

    Very odd, it's never happened before.
    Geopelia, Feb 16, 2010
  4. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> In the list of newsgroup in Folders, this morning nz.general is shown
    >> in red. It's never done that before.
    >>
    >> Is there any reason for this that I should know?
    >>
    >> When I turned the computer on, Trend Micro was not on, but it came on
    >> when I restarted.
    >>
    >> I have done a scan and update and nothing seems wrong.
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >> Geopelia

    > Depends on your newsreader. In Outlook Express that implies that there
    > are new posts on a thread that you are 'Watching' - the litle pair of
    > spectacles column. Click the relevamt thread in that column again to
    > change to 'Ignore", and again to reset to normal view.
    >
    > geoff

    Thanks, I did that. But it's a puzzle why I never saw it before.
    I don't usually mark threads, I click to "Show replies to my messages".
    Geopelia, Feb 16, 2010
  5. Geopelia

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > "geoff" <> wrote in message
    >> Geopelia wrote:
    >>> In the list of newsgroup in Folders, this morning nz.general is shown
    >>> in red. It's never done that before.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any reason for this that I should know?
    >>>
    >>> When I turned the computer on, Trend Micro was not on, but it came on
    >>> when I restarted.
    >>>
    >>> I have done a scan and update and nothing seems wrong.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you
    >>> Geopelia

    >> Depends on your newsreader. In Outlook Express that implies that there
    >> are new posts on a thread that you are 'Watching' - the litle pair of
    >> spectacles column. Click the relevamt thread in that column again to
    >> change to 'Ignore", and again to reset to normal view.
    >>
    >> geoff
    >>

    > Thanks, I did that. But it's a puzzle why I never saw it before.
    > I don't usually mark threads, I click to "Show replies to my messages".

    There's many a slip 'twixt the thought and the click.
    Gib Bogle, Feb 16, 2010
  6. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <hleu46$pjj$-september.org>,
    says...

    > In the list of newsgroup in Folders, this morning nz.general is shown in
    > red. It's never done that before.
    >
    > Is there any reason for this that I should know?
    >
    > When I turned the computer on, Trend Micro was not on, but it came on when I
    > restarted.
    >
    > I have done a scan and update and nothing seems wrong.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Geopelia

    What operating system and what newsreader (we're not mind-readers!).

    OK, looking at your header info (X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express
    6.00.2900.5843) - *assuming* that to be your newsreader, you have
    probably set a message "to keep an eye on"...

    http://www.keyongtech.com/3355819-outlook-express-red-news-group

    Please, when posting a software problem, tell us what software it is!

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Feb 16, 2010
  7. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-02-16, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > In article <hleu46$pjj$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> In the list of newsgroup in Folders, this morning nz.general is shown in
    >> red. It's never done that before.
    >>
    >> Is there any reason for this that I should know?
    >>
    >> When I turned the computer on, Trend Micro was not on, but it came on when I
    >> restarted.
    >>
    >> I have done a scan and update and nothing seems wrong.
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >> Geopelia

    > What operating system and what newsreader (we're not mind-readers!).
    >
    > OK, looking at your header info (X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express
    > 6.00.2900.5843) - *assuming* that to be your newsreader, you have
    > probably set a message "to keep an eye on"...
    >
    > http://www.keyongtech.com/3355819-outlook-express-red-news-group
    >
    > Please, when posting a software problem, tell us what software it is!

    Geopelia usually does.
    Gordon, Feb 17, 2010
  8. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On 2010-02-16, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > In article <hleu46$pjj$-september.org>,
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> In the list of newsgroup in Folders, this morning nz.general is shown in
    > >> red. It's never done that before.
    > >>
    > >> Is there any reason for this that I should know?
    > >>
    > >> When I turned the computer on, Trend Micro was not on, but it came on when I
    > >> restarted.
    > >>
    > >> I have done a scan and update and nothing seems wrong.
    > >>
    > >> Thank you
    > >> Geopelia

    > > What operating system and what newsreader (we're not mind-readers!).
    > >
    > > OK, looking at your header info (X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express
    > > 6.00.2900.5843) - *assuming* that to be your newsreader, you have
    > > probably set a message "to keep an eye on"...
    > >
    > > http://www.keyongtech.com/3355819-outlook-express-red-news-group
    > >
    > > Please, when posting a software problem, tell us what software it is!
    > >

    > Geopelia usually does.

    Sorry, I hadn't noticed, and don't mean to sound rude or like I'm
    shouting (it's emphasis :)

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Feb 17, 2010
  9. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> On 2010-02-16, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >> > In article <hleu46$pjj$-september.org>,
    >> > says...

    >> > What operating system and what newsreader (we're not mind-readers!).
    >> >
    >> > OK, looking at your header info (X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook
    >> > Express
    >> > 6.00.2900.5843) - *assuming* that to be your newsreader, you have
    >> > probably set a message "to keep an eye on"...
    >> >
    >> > http://www.keyongtech.com/3355819-outlook-express-red-news-group
    >> >
    >> > Please, when posting a software problem, tell us what software it is!
    >> >

    >> Geopelia usually does.

    > Sorry, I hadn't noticed, and don't mean to sound rude or like I'm
    > shouting (it's emphasis :)

    I assumed all computers do the same with the newsgroups. I'll give you the
    details in future.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Feb 17, 2010
  10. Geopelia

    Matty F Guest

    On Feb 17, 12:18 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > In article <hleu46$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >

    > > In the list of newsgroup in Folders, this morning nz.general is shown in
    > > red. It's never done that before.

    > > Is there any reason for this that I should know?

    > > When I turned the computer on, Trend Micro was not on, but it came on when I
    > > restarted.

    > > I have done a scan and update and nothing seems wrong.

    > > Thank you
    > > Geopelia

    > What operating system and what newsreader (we're not mind-readers!).
    >
    > OK, looking at your header info (X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express
    > 6.00.2900.5843) - *assuming* that to be your newsreader, you have
    > probably set a message "to keep an eye on"...
    >
    > http://www.keyongtech.com/3355819-outlook-express-red-news-group
    >
    > Please, when posting a software problem, tell us what software it is!

    But the average person has no idea what software they are using,.
    How would they know?
    Hint: click on Help then on About. Any software supplier that doesn't
    follow that convention is a moron.
    Matty F, Feb 18, 2010
  11. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <425bfec0-3b79-4384-87bc-
    >,
    says...

    > On Feb 17, 12:18 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > In article <hleu46$-september.org>,
    > > says...
    > >

    > > > In the list of newsgroup in Folders, this morning nz.general is shown in
    > > > red. It's never done that before.

    > > > Is there any reason for this that I should know?

    > > > When I turned the computer on, Trend Micro was not on, but it came on when I
    > > > restarted.

    > > > I have done a scan and update and nothing seems wrong.

    > > > Thank you
    > > > Geopelia

    > > What operating system and what newsreader (we're not mind-readers!).
    > >
    > > OK, looking at your header info (X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express
    > > 6.00.2900.5843) - *assuming* that to be your newsreader, you have
    > > probably set a message "to keep an eye on"...
    > >
    > > http://www.keyongtech.com/3355819-outlook-express-red-news-group
    > >
    > > Please, when posting a software problem, tell us what software it is!

    > But the average person has no idea what software they are using,.
    > How would they know?
    > Hint: click on Help then on About. Any software supplier that doesn't
    > follow that convention is a moron.

    Yeah I guess that's true. However, surely just before they click the
    link in the Start menu, or the icon on the desktop, or quicklaunch -
    they must *READ* the damn thing.

    (surely you're not saying, if the Outlook Express link or shortcut
    (whatever Geo uses) got renamed, she'd still be able to start it? (she
    just blindly clicks that icon on the screen?)).

    And yes, the Help, About - would be even better - I wasn't actually
    asking for *that* much :)

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Feb 18, 2010
  12. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <hlhm9e$euh$-september.org>,
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> Geopelia usually does.

    > > Sorry, I hadn't noticed, and don't mean to sound rude or like I'm
    > > shouting (it's emphasis :)
    > >

    > I assumed all computers do the same with the newsgroups. I'll give you the
    > details in future.

    Oh comon now. You know of Google Groups. Now there's a method for
    accessing usenet without using a dedicated newsreader (sorta like
    webmail, but it's web-usenet).

    Outlook Express is just one of many programs that "do" usenet. You may
    have heard of Forte Agent? (I use yet another one called Microplanet
    Gravity)...

    Probably the best newsreader client I've used was um... back in the OS/2
    (Warp) days - but the name eludes me know.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Feb 18, 2010
  13. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <425bfec0-3b79-4384-87bc-
    > >,
    > says...
    >>
    >> On Feb 17, 12:18 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >> > In article <hleu46$-september.org>,
    >> > says...

    >> > What operating system and what newsreader (we're not mind-readers!).
    >> >
    >> > OK, looking at your header info (X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook
    >> > Express
    >> > 6.00.2900.5843) - *assuming* that to be your newsreader, you have
    >> > probably set a message "to keep an eye on"...
    >> >
    >> > http://www.keyongtech.com/3355819-outlook-express-red-news-group
    >> >
    >> > Please, when posting a software problem, tell us what software it is!

    >> But the average person has no idea what software they are using,.
    >> How would they know?
    >> Hint: click on Help then on About. Any software supplier that doesn't
    >> follow that convention is a moron.

    > Yeah I guess that's true. However, surely just before they click the
    > link in the Start menu, or the icon on the desktop, or quicklaunch -
    > they must *READ* the damn thing.
    >
    > (surely you're not saying, if the Outlook Express link or shortcut
    > (whatever Geo uses) got renamed, she'd still be able to start it? (she
    > just blindly clicks that icon on the screen?)).
    >
    > And yes, the Help, About - would be even better - I wasn't actually
    > asking for *that* much :)

    I know about Google, but find it complicated to use their newsgroups.

    If Outlook Express renamed themselves, wouldn't they use the same icon?
    If I had problems, I'd get the computer man.
    He knows everything.
    Geopelia, Feb 18, 2010
  14. On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 16:43:07 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <hlhm9e$euh$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <>,
    >> > says...

    >> > Sorry, I hadn't noticed, and don't mean to sound rude or like I'm
    >> > shouting (it's emphasis :)
    >> >

    >> I assumed all computers do the same with the newsgroups. I'll give you the
    >> details in future.

    >Oh comon now. You know of Google Groups. Now there's a method for
    >accessing usenet without using a dedicated newsreader (sorta like
    >webmail, but it's web-usenet).
    >
    >Outlook Express is just one of many programs that "do" usenet. You may
    >have heard of Forte Agent? (I use yet another one called Microplanet
    >Gravity)...
    >
    >http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpgravity/
    >
    >Probably the best newsreader client I've used was um... back in the OS/2
    >(Warp) days - but the name eludes me know.

    ProNews/2 ?
    Stephen Worthington, Feb 19, 2010