    what it used to be please?

    XP, Outlook Express, news.eternal-september.org

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Sep 18, 2012

  2. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <k395l5$u58$>, , Geopelia
    says...

    > Does nz.general suddenly look different to anyone else, or is it just my
    > computer? Have I accidentally clicked something?
    > The other newsgroups haven't changed.
    >
    > How do I get "View - Current view - show replies to my messages" back to
    > what it used to be please?
    >
    > XP, Outlook Express, news.eternal-september.org
    >
    > Geopelia

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835830

    item #4 might help.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Sep 18, 2012

  3. In article <-september.org>, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >In article <k395l5$u58$>, , Geopelia
    >says...
    >>
    >> Does nz.general suddenly look different to anyone else, or is it just my
    >> computer? Have I accidentally clicked something?
    >> The other newsgroups haven't changed.
    >>
    >> How do I get "View - Current view - show replies to my messages" back to
    >> what it used to be please?
    >>
    >> XP, Outlook Express, news.eternal-september.org
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835830
    >
    >item #4 might help.

    Confirming it's definitely a 'news group reading software" problem. Looks as
    it always has to me. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 18, 2012
  4. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <k395l5$u58$>, , Geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> Does nz.general suddenly look different to anyone else, or is it just my
    >> computer? Have I accidentally clicked something?
    >> The other newsgroups haven't changed.
    >>
    >> How do I get "View - Current view - show replies to my messages" back to
    >> what it used to be please?
    >>
    >> XP, Outlook Express, news.eternal-september.org
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835830
    >
    > item #4 might help.

    Thank you. I looked at item 4 but I already have "show replies to my
    messages" .
    It only happened last night and has stayed the same today, and only with
    nz.general.

    I can work around it, and I'll ask the computer man next time he comes.
    If I've done something stupid I expect he can find it, but I can't think
    what that could be.

    Could somebody who objects to one of my posts mess things up by remote
    control or something?
    Apart from the computer man, nobody else ever uses this computer.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Sep 19, 2012
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:k3avra$bkg$...
    > In article <-september.org>, Dave
    > Doe <> wrote:
    >>In article <k395l5$u58$>, , Geopelia
    >>says...
    >>>
    >>> Does nz.general suddenly look different to anyone else, or is it just my
    >>> computer? Have I accidentally clicked something?
    >>> The other newsgroups haven't changed.
    >>>
    >>> How do I get "View - Current view - show replies to my messages" back to
    >>> what it used to be please?
    >>>
    >>> XP, Outlook Express, news.eternal-september.org
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia

    >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835830
    >>
    >>item #4 might help.

    > Confirming it's definitely a 'news group reading software" problem. Looks
    > as
    > it always has to me. :)

    Must just be this computer, then. I wonder why it only affects nz.general.

    What would happen if I unsubscribed to nz.general, then subscribed again?
    Would I lose a lot of posts etc?

    I'll have a look at Google groups and see if anything odd is happening
    there.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Sep 19, 2012
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    > in message news:k3avra$bkg$...
    >> In article <-september.org>, Dave
    >> Doe <> wrote:
    >>>In article <k395l5$u58$>, , Geopelia
    >>>says...

    >>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835830
    >>>
    >>>item #4 might help.

    >> Confirming it's definitely a 'news group reading software" problem. Looks
    >> as
    >> it always has to me. :)
    >>

    > Must just be this computer, then. I wonder why it only affects nz.general.
    >
    > What would happen if I unsubscribed to nz.general, then subscribed again?
    > Would I lose a lot of posts etc?
    >
    > I'll have a look at Google groups and see if anything odd is happening
    > there.
    >
    > Geopelia

    Google groups seems to have improved, but the version they had several years
    ago was better.
    I wonder why they changed it.

    Geopelia, Sep 19, 2012
  7. On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 14:27:51 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >> in message news:k3avra$bkg$...

    >>> Confirming it's definitely a 'news group reading software" problem. Looks
    >>> as
    >>> it always has to me. :)
    >>>

    >> Must just be this computer, then. I wonder why it only affects nz.general.
    >>
    >> What would happen if I unsubscribed to nz.general, then subscribed again?
    >> Would I lose a lot of posts etc?
    >>
    >> I'll have a look at Google groups and see if anything odd is happening
    >> there.
    >>
    >> Geopelia
    >>

    >Google groups seems to have improved, but the version they had several years
    >ago was better.
    >I wonder why they changed it.

    Please don't play with Crap, get a Real free News reader and use
    External-September as your news client..

    Frank Williams, Sep 19, 2012
  8. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <k3b932$lhn$>, , Geopelia
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <k395l5$u58$>, , Geopelia
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> Does nz.general suddenly look different to anyone else, or is it just my
    > >> computer? Have I accidentally clicked something?
    > >> The other newsgroups haven't changed.
    > >>
    > >> How do I get "View - Current view - show replies to my messages" back to
    > >> what it used to be please?
    > >>
    > >> XP, Outlook Express, news.eternal-september.org
    > >>
    > >> Geopelia

    > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835830
    > >
    > > item #4 might help.
    > >

    > Thank you. I looked at item 4 but I already have "show replies to my
    > messages" .
    > It only happened last night and has stayed the same today, and only with
    > nz.general.

    Did you do the "click the plus sign" thing (as mentioned in #4 on that
    page) though?

    > I can work around it, and I'll ask the computer man next time he comes.
    > If I've done something stupid I expect he can find it, but I can't think
    > what that could be.
    >
    > Could somebody who objects to one of my posts mess things up by remote
    > control or something?

    No - you must be running remote control s/w to do so. Typically, you'd
    *only* run a remote control program when your computer man rings up and
    wants to remote on.

    And anyway, this isn't "malicious" behaviour, and indeed, probably
    something you've inadvertently clicked. It sure sounds that way.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Sep 19, 2012
  9. In article <k3b9br$mkl$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >Must just be this computer, then. I wonder why it only affects nz.general.
    >What would happen if I unsubscribed to nz.general, then subscribed again?
    >Would I lose a lot of posts etc?

    That ought to work, but I'd check under the "view" menu first and see
    if there's anything that might be it.

    >I'll have a look at Google groups and see if anything odd is happening
    >there.

    <shudder> ... always. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 19, 2012
  10. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 14:27:51 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Bruce Sinclair" <>
    >>> wrote
    >>> in message news:k3avra$bkg$...

    >>> Must just be this computer, then. I wonder why it only affects
    >>> nz.general.
    >>>
    >>> What would happen if I unsubscribed to nz.general, then subscribed
    >>> again?
    >>> Would I lose a lot of posts etc?
    >>>
    >>> I'll have a look at Google groups and see if anything odd is happening
    >>> there.
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia
    >>>

    >>Google groups seems to have improved, but the version they had several
    >>years
    >>ago was better.
    >>I wonder why they changed it.
    >>

    > Please don't play with Crap, get a Real free News reader and use
    > External-September as your news client..

    Is that the same as eternal-september, or a new upgrade? I've got that. It's
    been great up till now.

    But I now find aioe has the same problem. It must be this computer.

    Geopelia, Sep 19, 2012
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <k3b932$lhn$>, , Geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <k395l5$u58$>, , Geopelia
    >> > says...

    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835830
    >> >
    >> > item #4 might help.
    >> >

    >> Thank you. I looked at item 4 but I already have "show replies to my
    >> messages" .
    >> It only happened last night and has stayed the same today, and only with
    >> nz.general.

    > Did you do the "click the plus sign" thing (as mentioned in #4 on that
    > page) though?

    Do you mean the plus sign against each message, that opens up all the
    replies?
    I can't see any other plus sign. But Microsoft says it is for a different
    system than the one I'm using.
    I've got XP. Do they mean Vista or 7?

    >> I can work around it, and I'll ask the computer man next time he comes.
    >> If I've done something stupid I expect he can find it, but I can't think
    >> what that could be.
    >>
    >> Could somebody who objects to one of my posts mess things up by remote
    >> control or something?

    > No - you must be running remote control s/w to do so. Typically, you'd
    > *only* run a remote control program when your computer man rings up and
    > wants to remote on.
    >
    > And anyway, this isn't "malicious" behaviour, and indeed, probably
    > something you've inadvertently clicked. It sure sounds that way.

    That's what I think, but I can't find out what I've done.

    Geopelia, Sep 19, 2012
  12. On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:01:17 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >On 19/09/2012 3:27 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >
    >> Please don't play with Crap, get a Real free News reader and use
    >> External-September as your news client..
    >>

    >As ignorant and wrong as always eh Woger? external-September - WTF is
    >that? And how TF can a new server be a client? Time to check yourself
    >into the local home for the terminally confused.
    >
    >Geo - ignore everything and anything that Frank/Woger/Suzy/et al ever
    >says as maybe 5% of it will be correct, the rest will be ill informed
    >drivel or just plain wrong as this latest post of his is.

    Gee you are so full of Total Crap I was reading Usenet before you were
    born..

    So I think I know what I am on about..

    I try to help all I have seen from all your posts you just hinder.

    Frank Williams, Sep 19, 2012
  13. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <k3biqe$v0b$>, , Geopelia
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <k3b932$lhn$>, , Geopelia
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message

    > >> Thank you. I looked at item 4 but I already have "show replies to my
    > >> messages" .
    > >> It only happened last night and has stayed the same today, and only with
    > >> nz.general.

    > > Did you do the "click the plus sign" thing (as mentioned in #4 on that
    > > page) though?

    > Do you mean the plus sign against each message, that opens up all the
    > replies?
    > I can't see any other plus sign. But Microsoft says it is for a different
    > system than the one I'm using.
    > I've got XP. Do they mean Vista or 7?

    No, it's an old article that they say is for Win 98. Forget it, it is
    on no relevance to you.

    > >> I can work around it, and I'll ask the computer man next time he

    comes.
    > >> If I've done something stupid I expect he can find it, but I can't think
    > >> what that could be.
    > >>
    > >> Could somebody who objects to one of my posts mess things up by remote
    > >> control or something?

    > > No - you must be running remote control s/w to do so. Typically, you'd
    > > *only* run a remote control program when your computer man rings up and
    > > wants to remote on.
    > >
    > > And anyway, this isn't "malicious" behaviour, and indeed, probably
    > > something you've inadvertently clicked. It sure sounds that way.
    > >

    > That's what I think, but I can't find out what I've done.

    Have a look at my pic...
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/duncanm4/Clipboard11.jpg

    See the bit I've outlined in red? - well ensure that's not checked (as
    shown in the pic). Click that option ("Group messages by conversation")
    to toggle between checked (ON) or unchecked (OFF).

    The pic is unchecked, and you can see the thread list is not grouped -
    is that what you want?

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Sep 20, 2012
  14. Geopelia

    Dave Doe, Sep 20, 2012
  15. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <k3biqe$v0b$>, , Geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <k3b932$lhn$>, , Geopelia
    >> > says...

    >> > Did you do the "click the plus sign" thing (as mentioned in #4 on that
    >> > page) though?

    >> Do you mean the plus sign against each message, that opens up all the
    >> replies?
    >> I can't see any other plus sign. But Microsoft says it is for a different
    >> system than the one I'm using.
    >> I've got XP. Do they mean Vista or 7?

    > No, it's an old article that they say is for Win 98. Forget it, it is
    > on no relevance to you.

    > comes.

    >> > No - you must be running remote control s/w to do so. Typically, you'd
    >> > *only* run a remote control program when your computer man rings up and
    >> > wants to remote on.
    >> >
    >> > And anyway, this isn't "malicious" behaviour, and indeed, probably
    >> > something you've inadvertently clicked. It sure sounds that way.
    >> >

    >> That's what I think, but I can't find out what I've done.

    > Have a look at my pic...
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/duncanm4/Clipboard11.jpg
    >
    > See the bit I've outlined in red? - well ensure that's not checked (as
    > shown in the pic). Click that option ("Group messages by conversation")
    > to toggle between checked (ON) or unchecked (OFF).
    >
    > The pic is unchecked, and you can see the thread list is not grouped -
    > is that what you want?

    I tried unticking that, and messages were all over the place. That doesn't
    seem to be the problem.

    Geopelia, Sep 20, 2012
  16. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <k3biqe$v0b$>, , Geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <k3b932$lhn$>, , Geopelia
    >> > says...

    >> > Did you do the "click the plus sign" thing (as mentioned in #4 on that
    >> > page) though?

    >> Do you mean the plus sign against each message, that opens up all the
    >> replies?
    >> I can't see any other plus sign. But Microsoft says it is for a different
    >> system than the one I'm using.
    >> I've got XP. Do they mean Vista or 7?

    > No, it's an old article that they say is for Win 98. Forget it, it is
    > on no relevance to you.

    > comes.

    >> > No - you must be running remote control s/w to do so. Typically, you'd
    >> > *only* run a remote control program when your computer man rings up and
    >> > wants to remote on.
    >> >
    >> > And anyway, this isn't "malicious" behaviour, and indeed, probably
    >> > something you've inadvertently clicked. It sure sounds that way.
    >> >

    >> That's what I think, but I can't find out what I've done.

    > Have a look at my pic...
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/duncanm4/Clipboard11.jpg
    >
    > See the bit I've outlined in red? - well ensure that's not checked (as
    > shown in the pic). Click that option ("Group messages by conversation")
    > to toggle between checked (ON) or unchecked (OFF).
    >
    > The pic is unchecked, and you can see the thread list is not grouped -
    > is that what you want?

    This looks like a duplicate post. Perhaps it is my computer.

    Geopelia, Sep 20, 2012