    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke
    Aaron Lawrence, Jun 1, 2007

  2. Aaron Lawrence

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:59:36 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
    <> exclaimed:

    >Hello all,
    >
    >An .co.nz domain I want has been cancelled a little
    >while back. Some registrars report it as available, some
    >as not, and some as "pending release".
    >After a lot of searching I found notes on domainz that
    >there is a 90 day holding period before the domain is
    >released - is that correct? Is this different from other
    >countries?
    >
    >Is there a way to book in advance that I want to buy
    >that domain as soon as it becomes available? I thought
    >this was fairly common, but maybe not ...
    >
    >/domain newbie
    >
    >Thanks!

    Yup, there's a 90-day "pending release" holding period when the owner
    can get their domain back. After that, it's a free for all.

    You could try: http://www.expireddomains.co.nz/

    Only problem with them is that it can be expensive (they are actually
    auctioning domains that aren't even theres), and there's no guarantee
    that they'll actually snazzle it.
    Fred Dagg, Jun 1, 2007

  3. Aaron Lawrence

    Vista Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:59:36 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
    > <> exclaimed:
    >
    >>Hello all,
    >>
    >>An .co.nz domain I want has been cancelled a little
    >>while back. Some registrars report it as available, some
    >>as not, and some as "pending release".
    >>After a lot of searching I found notes on domainz that
    >>there is a 90 day holding period before the domain is
    >>released - is that correct? Is this different from other
    >>countries?
    >>
    >>Is there a way to book in advance that I want to buy
    >>that domain as soon as it becomes available? I thought
    >>this was fairly common, but maybe not ...
    >>
    >>/domain newbie
    >>
    >>Thanks!

    > Yup, there's a 90-day "pending release" holding period when the owner
    > can get their domain back. After that, it's a free for all.
    >
    > You could try: http://www.expireddomains.co.nz/
    >
    > Only problem with them is that it can be expensive (they are actually
    > auctioning domains that aren't even theres), and there's no guarantee
    > that they'll actually snazzle it.

    I found that website hopeless. That is because I managed to get a domain by
    just waiting for it to expire and then registering it manally(within a few
    minutes after it had been released), and managed to get it before the people
    who were bidding it on that website, and it was cheaper too.
    Vista, Jun 2, 2007
  4. Aaron Lawrence

    Vista Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:59:36 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
    > <> exclaimed:
    >
    >>Hello all,
    >>
    >>An .co.nz domain I want has been cancelled a little
    >>while back. Some registrars report it as available, some
    >>as not, and some as "pending release".
    >>After a lot of searching I found notes on domainz that
    >>there is a 90 day holding period before the domain is
    >>released - is that correct? Is this different from other
    >>countries?
    >>
    >>Is there a way to book in advance that I want to buy
    >>that domain as soon as it becomes available? I thought
    >>this was fairly common, but maybe not ...
    >>
    >>/domain newbie
    >>
    >>Thanks!

    > Yup, there's a 90-day "pending release" holding period when the owner
    > can get their domain back. After that, it's a free for all.
    >
    > You could try: http://www.expireddomains.co.nz/
    >
    > Only problem with them is that it can be expensive (they are actually
    > auctioning domains that aren't even theres), and there's no guarantee
    > that they'll actually snazzle it.

    Another thing I have found is that people who intentionally buy domains for
    profiting from them, intentionally let their domains expire, solely so they
    can see how much interest there is in someone buying the domain, and how
    much someone would pay. Then at the last minute before the 90 day pending
    release date is up, they will then renew their domain again.
    Vista, Jun 2, 2007
  5. Aaron Lawrence

    El Chippy Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 13:24:12 +1200, Vista wrote:

    > Another thing I have found is that people who intentionally buy domains for
    > profiting from them, intentionally let their domains expire, solely so they
    > can see how much interest there is in someone buying the domain, and how
    > much someone would pay. Then at the last minute before the 90 day pending
    > release date is up, they will then renew their domain again.

    also saves them 89days worth of registration costs IIRC.
    El Chippy, Jun 2, 2007
  6. "Vista" <> wrote in message

    > "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:59:36 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
    >> <> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>>Hello all,
    >>>
    >>>An .co.nz domain I want has been cancelled a little
    >>>while back. Some registrars report it as available, some
    >>>as not, and some as "pending release".

    Why don't you contact the old owners of the domain and ask if you can buy it
    from them. then all they have to do is contact their registrar, uncancel it
    and then get them to do a name change.

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore, Jun 2, 2007
  7. Aaron Lawrence

    Chris Hope Guest

    Vista wrote:

    > "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:59:36 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
    >> <> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>>Hello all,
    >>>
    >>>An .co.nz domain I want has been cancelled a little
    >>>while back. Some registrars report it as available, some
    >>>as not, and some as "pending release".
    >>>After a lot of searching I found notes on domainz that
    >>>there is a 90 day holding period before the domain is
    >>>released - is that correct? Is this different from other
    >>>countries?
    >>>
    >>>Is there a way to book in advance that I want to buy
    >>>that domain as soon as it becomes available? I thought
    >>>this was fairly common, but maybe not ...
    >>>
    >>>/domain newbie
    >>>
    >>>Thanks!

    >> Yup, there's a 90-day "pending release" holding period when the owner
    >> can get their domain back. After that, it's a free for all.
    >>
    >> You could try: http://www.expireddomains.co.nz/
    >>
    >> Only problem with them is that it can be expensive (they are actually
    >> auctioning domains that aren't even theres), and there's no guarantee
    >> that they'll actually snazzle it.
    >>

    > I found that website hopeless. That is because I managed to get a
    > domain by just waiting for it to expire and then registering it
    > manally(within a few minutes after it had been released), and managed
    > to get it before the people who were bidding it on that website, and
    > it was cheaper too.

    You were lucky. I've tried that before myself at least a couple of times
    and have never been successful. There are also at least two other sites
    you can attempt to buy expired domains through but expireddomains is
    the most popular.

    Chris Hope, Jun 2, 2007
  8. Aaron Lawrence

    Rob Guest

    "El Chippy" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 13:24:12 +1200, Vista wrote:
    >

    >> Another thing I have found is that people who intentionally buy domains
    >> for
    >> profiting from them, intentionally let their domains expire, solely so
    >> they
    >> can see how much interest there is in someone buying the domain, and how
    >> much someone would pay. Then at the last minute before the 90 day pending
    >> release date is up, they will then renew their domain again.

    > also saves them 89days worth of registration costs IIRC.

    I don't think it does, becuase the domain is registered for the expiry date,
    instead of from the date it renewed.

    If you look at the expired domains website, there is currently a domain
    called copy.co.nz . The owner of this domain, owns a lot of these generic
    types of domains, and will renew this domain before it is released. I know
    becuase I have tried to register a few of them, but they are always renewed
    before the 90 days are up. Therefore the people bidding for it are creating
    a market value for the domain, ( the owner may even be bidding for it
    themselves) but people won't be able to register it through expired domains
    website.
    Rob, Jun 2, 2007
  9. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
    by the name of Fred Dagg exclaimed:
    > You could try: http://www.expireddomains.co.nz/

    Thanks for the tip! For some reason they don't list the
    domain I'm after (which was cancelled towards the start
    of May)... perhaps they don't detect actively cancelled
    (as opposed to expired) domains.

    Aaron Lawrence, Jun 3, 2007
  10. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
    by the name of Craig Whitmore exclaimed:
    > Why don't you contact the old owners of the domain and ask if you can buy it
    > from them. then all they have to do is contact their registrar, uncancel it
    > and then get them to do a name change.

    Might try that - though they seem to have gone out of
    business as far as I can tell from their registration
    records (original site no longer up)

    Aaron Lawrence, Jun 3, 2007