    this posting, for 8 and 9, it should show a time of day an hour ahead of
    your current time, while for 7 it should show the same time of day.

    If it shows the same time of day for 8, then your system needs updating.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 10, 2007

  2. In message <f9gkl2$1au$>, I wrote:

    > OpenSuSE 10.2 doesn't seem to have any updated timezone package as yet.
    > Nor does Debian 4.0.

    Actually this is no big deal. It's easy enough to get updated zoneinfo
    sources from <http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm> -- it's
    the "australasia" file we particularly want. For some reason the "Zone"
    lines for "NZ" and "NZ-CHAT" are commented out and need to be uncommented;
    then just compile that file with the zic utility, and it will automatically
    place the updated results in your /usr/share/zoneinfo directory.

    Whether you need to do anything more depends on whether your /etc/localtime
    file is a copy of /usr/share/zoneinfo/NZ, or a symlink; if it's a symlink,
    then there's nothing more to do. Otherwise the copy needs to be
    recopied--or just change it to a symlink while you're at it.

    I've just done this on a couple of SuSE 10.0 machines.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 10, 2007

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Allistar Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > As you may or may not know, daylight saving is starting a week earlier
    > this year, on September 30th. I was just wondering which people's OSes
    > were up to date.
    >
    > OpenSuSE 10.2 doesn't seem to have any updated timezone package as yet.
    > Nor does Debian 4.0. Gentoo is up-to-date, as befits folks who like to
    > live on the bleeding edge. :)
    >
    > You can test your system with the following command (adjust as
    > appropriate, depending on the date on which you read this):
    >
    > date -d "+8 weeks"
    >
    > Try changing the 8 to 7 or 9, and compare the difference: on the date of
    > this posting, for 8 and 9, it should show a time of day an hour ahead of
    > your current time, while for 7 it should show the same time of day.
    >
    > If it shows the same time of day for 8, then your system needs updating.

    I'm running Gentoo (synced this morning) and it appears to be using the old
    DST values. I'm syncing now to see if it pulls down any updates for this.

    Thanks for the head-up.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 10, 2007
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Allistar Guest

    Allistar wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> As you may or may not know, daylight saving is starting a week earlier
    >> this year, on September 30th. I was just wondering which people's OSes
    >> were up to date.
    >>
    >> OpenSuSE 10.2 doesn't seem to have any updated timezone package as yet.
    >> Nor does Debian 4.0. Gentoo is up-to-date, as befits folks who like to
    >> live on the bleeding edge. :)
    >>
    >> You can test your system with the following command (adjust as
    >> appropriate, depending on the date on which you read this):
    >>
    >> date -d "+8 weeks"
    >>
    >> Try changing the 8 to 7 or 9, and compare the difference: on the date of
    >> this posting, for 8 and 9, it should show a time of day an hour ahead of
    >> your current time, while for 7 it should show the same time of day.
    >>
    >> If it shows the same time of day for 8, then your system needs updating.

    > I'm running Gentoo (synced this morning) and it appears to be using the
    > old DST values. I'm syncing now to see if it pulls down any updates for
    > this.
    >
    > Thanks for the head-up.

    Nope - no update as of yet.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 10, 2007
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Steven Ellis Guest

    On Aug 10, 3:43 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <f9gkl2$>, I wrote:
    >
    > > OpenSuSE 10.2 doesn't seem to have any updated timezone package as yet.
    > > Nor does Debian 4.0.

    > Actually this is no big deal. It's easy enough to get updated zoneinfo
    > sources from <http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm> -- it's
    > the "australasia" file we particularly want. For some reason the "Zone"
    > lines for "NZ" and "NZ-CHAT" are commented out and need to be uncommented;
    > then just compile that file with the zic utility, and it will automatically
    > place the updated results in your /usr/share/zoneinfo directory.
    >
    > Whether you need to do anything more depends on whether your /etc/localtime
    > file is a copy of /usr/share/zoneinfo/NZ, or a symlink; if it's a symlink,
    > then there's nothing more to do. Otherwise the copy needs to be
    > recopied--or just change it to a symlink while you're at it.
    >
    > I've just done this on a couple of SuSE 10.0 machines.

    Redhat have released patches for enterpirse.

    Debian has a release in volatile at the moment.

    Ubuntu have releases pending.

    Steve
    Steven Ellis, Aug 10, 2007
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:07:22 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > As you may or may not know, daylight saving is starting a week earlier
    > this year, on September 30th. I was just wondering which people's OSes
    > were up to date.

    This is so interesting as ones clock can tell anytime current on this
    planet and still be considered to be correct.

    See UTC does not change, unless the sun and the earth move.

    Also think about it. Noon is supposed to be when the sun reaches its
    highest point. So under daylight saving we just say not so. Its all
    relative eh?
    Gordon, Aug 10, 2007
  7. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> I'm running Gentoo (synced this morning) and it appears to be using the
    >> old DST values. I'm syncing now to see if it pulls down any updates for
    >> this.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the head-up.

    > Nope - no update as of yet.

    That's odd. I'm on two Gentoo machines--a client one and my own one. The
    former is a pretty old 32-bit installation, the latter is running 2006.1
    AMD64. They're both up-to-date. What version are you running?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 10, 2007
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Allistar Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <>, Allistar
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Allistar wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm running Gentoo (synced this morning) and it appears to be using the
    >>> old DST values. I'm syncing now to see if it pulls down any updates for
    >>> this.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for the head-up.

    >> Nope - no update as of yet.

    > That's odd. I'm on two Gentoo machines--a client one and my own one. The
    > former is a pretty old 32-bit installation, the latter is running 2006.1
    > AMD64. They're both up-to-date. What version are you running?

    Mine is up to date (Gentoo doesn't really have versions as such).

    I did an "emerge --sync" followed by "emerge world" just today.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 10, 2007
  9. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > I did an "emerge --sync" followed by "emerge world" just today.

    Could you just check whether

    emerge -vp sys-libs/timezone-data

    reports anything to do? It could be that nothing else depends on
    timezone-data as such.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 10, 2007
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Allistar Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <>, Allistar
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I did an "emerge --sync" followed by "emerge world" just today.

    > Could you just check whether
    >
    > emerge -vp sys-libs/timezone-data
    >
    > reports anything to do? It could be that nothing else depends on
    > timezone-data as such.

    Heh. It did need updating, and after making /etc/localtime a symlink instead
    of a copy it now reports the right time 8 weeks from now.

    Thanks for the tip.

    I would have thought that emerge -pvt world would report that timezone-data
    needed upgrading, as it did.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 10, 2007
  11. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > I would have thought that emerge -pvt world would report that
    > timezone-data needed upgrading, as it did.

    I have my doubts about the dependency handling in Gentoo. Particularly after
    I discovered that you need to run revdep-rebuild after updating things, to
    fix things that might have been broken by the updates.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 10, 2007
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Shane Guest

    Steven Ellis wrote:

    > On Aug 10, 3:43 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> In message <f9gkl2$>, I wrote:
    >>
    >> > OpenSuSE 10.2 doesn't seem to have any updated timezone package as yet.
    >> > Nor does Debian 4.0.

    >> Actually this is no big deal. It's easy enough to get updated zoneinfo
    >> sources from <http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm> -- it's
    >> the "australasia" file we particularly want. For some reason the "Zone"
    >> lines for "NZ" and "NZ-CHAT" are commented out and need to be
    >> uncommented; then just compile that file with the zic utility, and it
    >> will automatically place the updated results in your /usr/share/zoneinfo
    >> directory.
    >>
    >> Whether you need to do anything more depends on whether your
    >> /etc/localtime file is a copy of /usr/share/zoneinfo/NZ, or a symlink; if
    >> it's a symlink, then there's nothing more to do. Otherwise the copy needs
    >> to be recopied--or just change it to a symlink while you're at it.
    >>
    >> I've just done this on a couple of SuSE 10.0 machines.

    > Redhat have released patches for enterpirse.
    >
    > Debian has a release in volatile at the moment.
    >
    > Ubuntu have releases pending.
    >
    > Steve

    Dapper already has it correct.
    shane@laptop:~$ date -d "+49 days"
    Fri Sep 28 20:31:50 NZST 2007
    shane@laptop:~$ date -d "+51 days"
    Sun Sep 30 21:31:58 NZDT 2007

    --
    Q: What's yellow and equivalent to the Axiom of Choice?
    A: Zorn's Lemon.
    Shane, Aug 10, 2007
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Rob S Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Steven Ellis wrote:
    >
    >> On Aug 10, 3:43 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    >>> Actually this is no big deal. It's easy enough to get updated zoneinfo
    >>> sources from <http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm> -- it's
    >>> the "australasia" file we particularly want. For some reason the "Zone"
    >>> lines for "NZ" and "NZ-CHAT" are commented out and need to be
    >>> uncommented; then just compile that file with the zic utility, and it
    >>> will automatically place the updated results in your /usr/share/zoneinfo
    >>> directory.
    >>>
    >>> Whether you need to do anything more depends on whether your
    >>> /etc/localtime file is a copy of /usr/share/zoneinfo/NZ, or a symlink; if
    >>> it's a symlink, then there's nothing more to do. Otherwise the copy needs
    >>> to be recopied--or just change it to a symlink while you're at it.
    >>>
    >>> I've just done this on a couple of SuSE 10.0 machines.

    >> Redhat have released patches for enterpirse.
    >>
    >> Debian has a release in volatile at the moment.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu have releases pending.
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Dapper already has it correct.
    > shane@laptop:~$ date -d "+49 days"
    > Fri Sep 28 20:31:50 NZST 2007
    > shane@laptop:~$ date -d "+51 days"
    > Sun Sep 30 21:31:58 NZDT 2007

    I've just done dist-upgrade today on Ubuntu, so now 7.10 gutsy tribe
    alpha 3 and daylight saving is correct.

    (compiz fusion installed by default. No spinning box, has the desktop
    wall instead)
    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    Microsoft Windows: Proof that P.T. Barnum was correct.
    Rob S, Aug 10, 2007
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    joe_90 Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Steven Ellis wrote:
    >
    >> On Aug 10, 3:43 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    >>> Actually this is no big deal. It's easy enough to get updated zoneinfo
    >>> sources from <http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm> -- it's
    >>> the "australasia" file we particularly want. For some reason the "Zone"
    >>> lines for "NZ" and "NZ-CHAT" are commented out and need to be
    >>> uncommented; then just compile that file with the zic utility, and it
    >>> will automatically place the updated results in your /usr/share/zoneinfo
    >>> directory.
    >>>
    >>> Whether you need to do anything more depends on whether your
    >>> /etc/localtime file is a copy of /usr/share/zoneinfo/NZ, or a symlink; if
    >>> it's a symlink, then there's nothing more to do. Otherwise the copy needs
    >>> to be recopied--or just change it to a symlink while you're at it.
    >>>
    >>> I've just done this on a couple of SuSE 10.0 machines.

    >> Redhat have released patches for enterpirse.
    >>
    >> Debian has a release in volatile at the moment.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu have releases pending.
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Dapper already has it correct.
    > shane@laptop:~$ date -d "+49 days"
    > Fri Sep 28 20:31:50 NZST 2007
    > shane@laptop:~$ date -d "+51 days"
    > Sun Sep 30 21:31:58 NZDT 2007

    as does Fedora release 7 (Moonshine)
    joe_90, Aug 10, 2007
  15. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > (Gentoo doesn't really have versions as such).

    I'm not so sure, because there are different versions of /etc/make.profile.
    When I changed mine from 2006.0 to 2006.1, the next time I tried to emerge
    something, it reported a whole bunch of stuff out of date and upgraded that
    as well.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 10, 2007
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:07:22 +1200, in message <f9gkl2$1au$>,
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > As you may or may not know, daylight saving is starting a week earlier this
    > year, on September 30th. I was just wondering which people's OSes were up
    > to date.

    For Windows 9x users

    1. Copy the text between the wavy lines below into a new file
    "NZDT2007.reg".
    2. Then right-click on the file "NZDT2007.reg" and choose "Merge"
    from the right-click menu.
    3. Now you need to make the clock pick up the new time zone configuration
    for NZ.
    3.1 Double-click the clock in the task bar to open it, and select
    the time zone tab. Change the time zone to something else
    and click OK.
    3.2 Repeat, this time changing the time zone back to
    "(GMT+12:00) Auckland, Wellington". Click OK.

    File "NZDT2007.reg"
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Time Zones\New Zealand]
    "Display"="(GMT+12:00) Auckland, Wellington"
    "Dlt"="New Zealand Daylight Time"
    "Std"="New Zealand Standard Time"
    "MapID"="78,79"
    "TZI"=hex:30,fd,ff,ff,00,00,00,00,c4,ff,ff,ff,00,00,04,00,00,00,01,00,03,00,00,\
    00,00,00,00,00,00,00,09,00,00,00,05,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

    This is effectively the same "New Zealand 2007 Daylight Saving Extension"
    as on http://www.microsoft.com/australia/technet/timezone/Windows.aspx
    but adapted for Windows 9x.

    Ralph Fox, Aug 10, 2007
  17. In message <f9gkl2$1au$>, I wrote:

    > As you may or may not know, daylight saving is starting a week earlier
    > this year, on September 30th. I was just wondering which people's OSes
    > were up to date.

    By the way, it's not enough to update your OS, some software subsystems
    insist on keeping their own copies of the zoneinfo database, for some
    inexplicable reason.

    I've been told <http://lwn.net/Articles/225091/> Sun Java is one culprit.
    Another one is the CPAN DateTime::TimeZone module for Perl. The only way to
    check these would be to write test programs in the appropriate languages.

    I consider these sorts of things to be brain damage.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 11, 2007
  18. In message <>, Ralph Fox wrote:

    > On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:07:22 +1200, in message
    > <f9gkl2$1au$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> As you may or may not know, daylight saving is starting a week earlier
    >> this year, on September 30th. I was just wondering which people's OSes
    >> were up to date.

    > For Windows 9x users

    [Registry-munging instructions omitted]

    WARNING: editing the Dimdows Registry can DESTROY YOUR SYSTEM, to the point
    where the only way to recover is to REFORMAT AND REINSTALL. PROCEED AT YOUR
    OWN PERIL.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 11, 2007
  19. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Ralph Fox wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:07:22 +1200, in message
    >> <f9gkl2$1au$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> As you may or may not know, daylight saving is starting a week earlier
    >>> this year, on September 30th. I was just wondering which people's OSes
    >>> were up to date.

    >> For Windows 9x users
    >>

    > [Registry-munging instructions omitted]
    >
    > WARNING: editing the Dimdows Registry can DESTROY YOUR SYSTEM, to the point
    > where the only way to recover is to REFORMAT AND REINSTALL. PROCEED AT YOUR
    > OWN PERIL.

    More FUD from LDO
    EMB, Aug 11, 2007
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Wayne Sallee Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote on 8/10/2007 8:14 PM:
    > In message <f9gkl2$1au$>, I wrote:
    >
    >> As you may or may not know, daylight saving is starting a week earlier
    >> this year, on September 30th. I was just wondering which people's OSes
    >> were up to date.

    > By the way, it's not enough to update your OS, some software subsystems
    > insist on keeping their own copies of the zoneinfo database, for some
    > inexplicable reason.
    >
    > I've been told <http://lwn.net/Articles/225091/> Sun Java is one culprit.
    > Another one is the CPAN DateTime::TimeZone module for Perl. The only way to
    > check these would be to write test programs in the appropriate languages.
    >
    > I consider these sorts of things to be brain damage.

    I wish everyone would just do away with daylight
    savings time.

    Wayne Sallee

    Wayne Sallee, Aug 11, 2007