    I repeat, NZ importers are fuckers who think they can charge what they want.
    Well, I have saved shitloads of cash by importing from the US , and only had
    one warranty problem which was honoured by the seller.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Dec 29, 2005

  2. news.xtra.co.nz

    Crash Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > T31 Polar transmitter (for heart rate monitor).....
    >
    > To buy in NZ: $121.00 (nzd)
    >
    > To buy from the USA: $35.00 (nzd) - excludes shipping.
    >
    > I repeat, NZ importers are fuckers who think they can charge what they want.
    > Well, I have saved shitloads of cash by importing from the US , and only had
    > one warranty problem which was honoured by the seller.

    I would be most interested in what you actually pay for this (including shipping
    costs). Whenever I have looked into this in the past either it has been very
    difficult to find someone who will ship outside the country they do business in
    or the shipping costs are more than the price difference.

    Crash.

    Crash, Dec 29, 2005

  3. news.xtra.co.nz

    gimp Guest

    Crash wrote:
    > I would be most interested in what you actually pay for this (including
    > shipping costs). Whenever I have looked into this in the past either it
    > has been very difficult to find someone who will ship outside the
    > country they do business in or the shipping costs are more than the
    > price difference.

    same... in terms of PC hardware retailers, there are *none* that i know
    of that will ship outside the US, maybe one or two which will accept a
    bank wire transfer but that's a pain in the arse. provantage.com will
    accept credit cards to USD1,000, but most of their stuff is crap, not a
    good selection.

    i get enthusiast pc modding hardware from places like frozencpu.com.
    they have some seriously cool shit, but they don't sell components like
    cpus/ram.

    gimp, Dec 29, 2005
  4. news.xtra.co.nz

    Dave Green Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > T31 Polar transmitter (for heart rate monitor).....
    >
    > To buy in NZ: $121.00 (nzd)
    >
    > To buy from the USA: $35.00 (nzd) - excludes shipping.
    >
    > I repeat, NZ importers are fuckers who think they can charge what they want.
    > Well, I have saved shitloads of cash by importing from the US , and only had
    > one warranty problem which was honoured by the seller.

    Was that ex stock in NZ? If you were an importer stocking stuff locally
    and wanting to make a living from it, what would you be charging ?

    Dave Green, Dec 29, 2005
  5. "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >> T31 Polar transmitter (for heart rate monitor).....
    >>
    >> To buy in NZ: $121.00 (nzd)
    >>
    >> To buy from the USA: $35.00 (nzd) - excludes shipping.
    >>
    >> I repeat, NZ importers are fuckers who think they can charge what they
    >> want. Well, I have saved shitloads of cash by importing from the US , and
    >> only had one warranty problem which was honoured by the seller.

    > I would be most interested in what you actually pay for this (including
    > shipping costs). Whenever I have looked into this in the past either it
    > has been very difficult to find someone who will ship outside the country
    > they do business in or the shipping costs are more than the price
    > difference.
    >
    > Crash.

    Yes, you are correct in that it can be difficult to find retailers who will
    ship outside the US. And, those who do sometimes price gouge on the
    shipping. Also, some manufacturers place export restrictions on their
    goods to protect their foreign business partners.

    But, if you look hard enough, generally you can find someone.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Dec 29, 2005
  6. news.xtra.co.nz

    Jake Collins Guest

    I have had good success with Computer Geeks - they sell surplus, overstock
    and new stuff. No problems shipping US mail to NZ. http://www.compgeeks.com

    For instance I bought this new wireless router with our type of power
    adapter (just needed a socket converter):
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=WLG-2206E&cat=NET
    NZ$75 delivered to my door.
    --
    Jake Collins
    http://members.tripod.com/collinsj/

    Jake Collins, Dec 29, 2005
  7. news.xtra.co.nz

    Rob J Guest

    In article <8HFsf.10963$>,
    says...
    > T31 Polar transmitter (for heart rate monitor).....
    >
    > To buy in NZ: $121.00 (nzd)
    >
    > To buy from the USA: $35.00 (nzd) - excludes shipping.
    >
    > I repeat, NZ importers are fuckers who think they can charge what they want.
    > Well, I have saved shitloads of cash by importing from the US , and only had
    > one warranty problem which was honoured by the seller.

    I bought my digital cameras at a very good price from a NZ retailer who
    does not parallel import. Shop around.

    Rob J, Dec 29, 2005
  8. news.xtra.co.nz

    steve Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > T31 Polar transmitter (for heart rate monitor).....
    >
    > To buy in NZ: $121.00 (nzd)
    >
    > To buy from the USA: $35.00 (nzd) - excludes shipping.
    >
    > I repeat, NZ importers are fuckers who think they can charge what they want.
    > Well, I have saved shitloads of cash by importing from the US , and only had
    > one warranty problem which was honoured by the seller.

    It's a big market vs small market thing.

    A guy locally stocking that item might have to hold it for a month or
    two before selling it....or take several weeks to order it in....and
    charge you the shipping plus a margin as well as add margin to the price
    of the item itself....

    ..... whereas in the US a company might order it on demand and be able to
    deliver it in 2 days.

    As long as we are 4 million people 5,000 miles from anywhere other than
    Australia, this will be the case.

    All things considered....It's a small price to pay for living in this
    great country.

    steve, Dec 29, 2005
  9. news.xtra.co.nz

    MarkH Guest

    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in

    > T31 Polar transmitter (for heart rate monitor).....
    >
    > To buy in NZ: $121.00 (nzd)
    >
    > To buy from the USA: $35.00 (nzd) - excludes shipping.
    >
    > I repeat, NZ importers are fuckers who think they can charge what they
    > want. Well, I have saved shitloads of cash by importing from the US ,
    > and only had one warranty problem which was honoured by the seller.

    I have bought Camera and Audio gear from B&H Photo (NY) and have saved a
    significant amount of money.

    e.g. I bought a flash that sells in NZ for $900 - $1200, I paid about NZ
    $600 all up (US$300 + P&P x exchange rate) saving $300 compared to the
    cheapest retailer I could find at the time. This is for the exact same
    product.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Dec 29, 2005
  10. news.xtra.co.nz

    Mutley Guest

    "Jake Collins" <> wrote:

    >I have had good success with Computer Geeks - they sell surplus, overstock
    >and new stuff. No problems shipping US mail to NZ. http://www.compgeeks.com
    >
    >For instance I bought this new wireless router with our type of power
    >adapter (just needed a socket converter):
    >http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=WLG-2206E&cat=NET
    >NZ$75 delivered to my door.

    Looked at an item on that site and got.

    "This item ships directly from the manufacturer via FedEx and may be
    shipped ONLY to the 50 United States, EXCLUDING Massachusetts.
    This item is not available for shipment to international or APO/FPO
    addresses, or to US territories or possessions, and is not available
    for Customer Pickup or for payment by COD.
    A signature will be required upon delivery of this item.
    This item may only be returned directly to the manufacturer for a
    replacement of the same make/model."

    Mutley, Dec 30, 2005
  11. news.xtra.co.nz

    Sam Guest

    "MarkH" <> wrote in message
    > "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in
    >
    >> T31 Polar transmitter (for heart rate monitor).....
    >>
    >> To buy in NZ: $121.00 (nzd)
    >>
    >> To buy from the USA: $35.00 (nzd) - excludes shipping.
    >>
    >> I repeat, NZ importers are fuckers who think they can charge what they
    >> want. Well, I have saved shitloads of cash by importing from the US ,
    >> and only had one warranty problem which was honoured by the seller.

    > I have bought Camera and Audio gear from B&H Photo (NY) and have saved a
    > significant amount of money.
    >
    > e.g. I bought a flash that sells in NZ for $900 - $1200, I paid about NZ
    > $600 all up (US$300 + P&P x exchange rate) saving $300 compared to the
    > cheapest retailer I could find at the time. This is for the exact same
    > product.
    >

    > --
    > Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    > See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 5-September-05)
    > "The person on the other side was a young woman. Very obviously a
    > young woman. There was no possible way she could have been mistaken
    > for a young man in any language, especially Braille."
    > Maskerade

    Just looking at the site you mentioned. Could you please tell me if you had
    to pay duty/gst etc when it/they arrived in NZ or was it just the item price
    + pp + exchange rate). Thanks.

    Sam, Jan 4, 2006
  12. news.xtra.co.nz

    MarkH Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in news:43bb87ff$:

    > "MarkH" <> wrote in message
    >> "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> T31 Polar transmitter (for heart rate monitor).....
    >>>
    >>> To buy in NZ: $121.00 (nzd)
    >>>
    >>> To buy from the USA: $35.00 (nzd) - excludes shipping.
    >>>
    >>> I repeat, NZ importers are fuckers who think they can charge what
    >>> they want. Well, I have saved shitloads of cash by importing from
    >>> the US , and only had one warranty problem which was honoured by the
    >>> seller.

    >> I have bought Camera and Audio gear from B&H Photo (NY) and have
    >> saved a significant amount of money.
    >>
    >> e.g. I bought a flash that sells in NZ for $900 - $1200, I paid about
    >> NZ $600 all up (US$300 + P&P x exchange rate) saving $300 compared to
    >> the cheapest retailer I could find at the time. This is for the
    >> exact same product.

    Oops, forgot to mention the GST. The flash cost about NZ$600 all together
    including the GST.

    > Just looking at the site you mentioned. Could you please tell me if
    > you had to pay duty/gst etc when it/they arrived in NZ or was it just
    > the item price + pp + exchange rate). Thanks.

    For my Canon Speedlite 550 flash unit I had to pay GST because it was worth
    US$300+P&P which added up to more than NZ$400. Sometimes customs will not
    bother to stop a package worth more than NZ$400, but I wouldn't count on
    it. Generally anything worth more than NZ$400 will be stopped and held
    until you pay the GST.

    As I understand it there is no duty on cameras, audio or video gear.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Jan 5, 2006
  13. news.xtra.co.nz

    gimp Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > For my Canon Speedlite 550 flash unit I had to pay GST because it was worth
    > US$300+P&P which added up to more than NZ$400.

    only $400? stink. i used to import a lot a few years back, back then it
    was anything under NZ$1,000 was exempt from gst.

    gimp, Jan 5, 2006
  14. news.xtra.co.nz

    Sam Guest

    Great, thanks for that. It was a camera I was thinking about.

    Sam, Jan 5, 2006
  15. news.xtra.co.nz

    MarkH Guest

    gimp <> wrote in news:dpi0l6$27p$:

    > MarkH wrote:
    >> For my Canon Speedlite 550 flash unit I had to pay GST because it was
    >> worth US$300+P&P which added up to more than NZ$400.

    > only $400? stink. i used to import a lot a few years back, back then
    > it was anything under NZ$1,000 was exempt from gst.

    No it wasn’t! I have imported a few items every now and again since back
    when GST was introduced - right from the start NZ$400 was the limit. I had
    been lucky a couple of times and had packages worth over NZ$600 go straight
    through.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade