nz.comp SETI team news.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jun 24, 2004.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    As of 22/6/04 SETI have released the long-awaited new client, BOINC.

    Using this new client you will be able to not only process work units for
    SETI but also several other projects (in the future). It is basically simply
    a distributed computing client that will ultimately be able to handle work
    for any of a number of organisations who port their distributed computing
    over to it. There are currently several organisations working on this. When
    they are out of beta you will be able to run any of the projects you wish,
    or several different projects, alloting your CPU time as you see fit.

    For now, both the classic S@H and BOINC will be operational. However, at
    some presently undisclosed time in the near future the old classic S@H
    work-unit server will be taken off-line and users will then be given the
    option to make the change-over if they wish or to give up SETI/BOINC.

    If you want to change over now, go to:

    http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah/sah_participate.php

    Once there, enter the email addy you used for S@H and activate a BOINC
    account. Then, download the software and you're away crunching!

    Unfortunately for all the people who have been doing some major crunching in
    the past all work-unit histories will reset to zero with the new client,
    although on your personal stats page there will be a mention of how many
    units you processed for SETI using the old system. However, the figures for
    this were taken from May 12th (I think) so they won't reflect WU's done
    recently. Only BOINC units are being recorded permenantly now.

    I hope that current nz.comp team members will make the change to BOINC and
    will continue to crunch units. As always, any new members are welcome to
    join.

    Regards,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jun 24, 2004

  2. ~misfit~

    steve Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I hope that current nz.comp team members will make the change to BOINC and
    > will continue to crunch units. As always, any new members are welcome to
    > join.
    >
    > Regards,
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    I'm swapping over now.

    I don't have 11 systems crunching away anymore, but I have 3-4 fast systems
    that will do the job asked of them. :)
    steve, Jun 24, 2004

  3. ~misfit~

    steve Guest

    42nd in the World?? Re: nz.comp SETI team news.

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I hope that current nz.comp team members will make the change to BOINC and
    > will continue to crunch units. As always, any new members are welcome to
    > join.
    >
    > Regards,
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Just had a look at the "top computers" in the BOINC project and my wee PC
    appears to be 42nd in the entire world.

    ....and I only downloaded my first WUs 20 minutes ago!!!

    Maybe it is because I elected to have an 8 day WU cache.
    steve, Jun 24, 2004
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    steve wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I hope that current nz.comp team members will make the change to
    >> BOINC and will continue to crunch units. As always, any new members
    >> are welcome to join.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~

    > I'm swapping over now.
    >
    > I don't have 11 systems crunching away anymore, but I have 3-4 fast
    > systems that will do the job asked of them. :)

    Good man!
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jun 24, 2004
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: 42nd in the World?? Re: nz.comp SETI team news.

    steve wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I hope that current nz.comp team members will make the change to
    >> BOINC and will continue to crunch units. As always, any new members
    >> are welcome to join.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~

    > Just had a look at the "top computers" in the BOINC project and my
    > wee PC appears to be 42nd in the entire world.
    >
    > ...and I only downloaded my first WUs 20 minutes ago!!!
    >
    > Maybe it is because I elected to have an 8 day WU cache.

    :)

    Now's the time to make a name for yourself (and maybe nz.comp). Everything
    has been re-set so you don't have to be hampered by *really* long WU times
    like some of us were five years ago running a 486. (Ahem).
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jun 24, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 24, 2004
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah/sah_participate.php

    > I joined up, but it says that theres no work available...

    Good man. I think they're getting inundated at the moment.

    One thing, I have three machines here that I've installed it on. One of them
    only had a little HDD and I left it running all night but it didn't get
    given any units. You have to check that things are set as you want them in
    your preferences page. Om mine I had something like "Leave at least 5GB free
    space" so it wasn't giving that machine any units. At least that's what I've
    deduced from the logs.

    It'll take a bit of getting used to. The screen-saver sure is pretty though.
    <g>.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jun 25, 2004
  8. ~misfit~

    Tim Buchanan Guest

    On 2004-06-24, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> I hope that current nz.comp team members will make the change to
    >>> BOINC and will continue to crunch units. As always, any new members
    >>> are welcome to join.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> --
    >>> ~misfit~

    >> I'm swapping over now.
    >>
    >> I don't have 11 systems crunching away anymore, but I have 3-4 fast
    >> systems that will do the job asked of them. :)

    > Good man!
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    I have been running s@h in the past, how do i join up under the nz.comp
    banner?

    --
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
    with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you
    Tim Buchanan, Jun 25, 2004
  9. ~misfit~

    -{-astrae-}- Guest

    go here:
    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_155750.html

    and click join

    -{-astrae-}-, Jun 25, 2004
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    -{-astrae-}- wrote:
    > go here:
    > http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_155750.html
    >
    > and click join

    Thanks -{-astrae-}-. Cool, another member.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 25, 2004
  11. ~misfit~ wrote:

    judo *snip*

    ummm just wondered if anyone else is having hassles with the new boinc
    thing.

    it seems to grab "work units" fine, but it doesnt seem to be sending
    them off.
    according to the work tab, I have 16 that are ready to report, 1 runing,
    and 10 ready to run...but no credits to my name.

    They show up when I check the web server, but nothing to show me in the
    client.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 1, 2004
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > judo *snip*
    >
    > ummm just wondered if anyone else is having hassles with the new boinc
    > thing.

    Lots of people are. Berkeley seem to have jumped the gun a bit on it's
    public release. (I've been a beta tester for a while). They've been
    installing new hardware etc for the last few days. It'll come right soon,
    just teething troubles.

    > it seems to grab "work units" fine, but it doesnt seem to be sending
    > them off.
    > according to the work tab, I have 16 that are ready to report, 1
    > runing, and 10 ready to run...but no credits to my name.

    BOINC works differently to SETI classic in it's credits system. Each unit is
    sent out to three machines, when the results come in they are compared and,
    if they all tally then credit is awarded. If they don't tally or one of the
    results isn't in by the deadline (units 'expire' after a time, about two
    weeks) then it is sent out again to another machine to be checked. Also,
    it's not one credit per WU, the credit awarded depends on the amount of
    processing work done on each unit and can vary between (roughly) 15 and 50
    'credits' per WU. Different machines claim different amounts of credit for
    the same WU. However, once the results have been compared and verified, all
    three machines are awarded the same credit as the machine that claimed the
    middle of the three figures. Confusing huh?

    Basically it means you have to wait a while for credit to be awarded,
    sometimes over two weeks. This system has been implemented to attempt to
    eliminate cheating by people and teams who were only in it for the numbers,
    and also to verify the results accurately. Also, the credit system should
    more accurately reflect the amount of work your machine has donated as some
    WUs take more processing than others.

    > They show up when I check the web server, but nothing to show me in
    > the client.

    As I mentioned, there are teething problems. It'll all come right soon, hang
    in there.

    They had a problem some of us can relate to last weekend, they set up a new
    machine on Friday, installed 2GB of RAM and one of the RAM sticks was bad.
    They couldn't get it replaced until Monday so that slowed down their systems
    a bit.

    HTH
    --
    ~misfit~