nz.comp SETI group up to 37 members!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Oct 3, 2003

  2. ~misfit~

    Scott Guest

    "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his-desk.com> wrote in message
    news:Ni3fb.166191$...
    > We're doing well folks, 37 members, 47,536 WUs processed with 62.2 years

    CPU
    > time.
    >
    > Congratulations to all involved, it's good to see some new names there.
    >
    > http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_155750.html
    > --
    > ~misfit~
    >

    > ---

    I must say, I haven't got SETI running anymore, so you can take 1 member or
    your member count.

    - Scott

    Scott, Oct 4, 2003

  3. ~misfit~

    steve Guest

    Scott allegedly said:

    > I must say, I haven't got SETI running anymore, so you can take 1 member
    > or your member count.
    >
    > - Scott

    If you did even one WU, then your work is still part of the total.

    steve, Oct 4, 2003
  4. ~misfit~

    T.N.O. Guest

    "steve" wrote
    > > I must say, I haven't got SETI running anymore, so you can take 1 member
    > > or your member count.

    > If you did even one WU, then your work is still part of the total.

    2 or 3 more members have joined since the first post... some fairly high
    ones too, dropped me from 8th to 10th...

    I think its "Brogue" and "dannyandjo"

    T.N.O., Oct 4, 2003
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in message
    > "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his-desk.com> wrote in message
    > > We're doing well folks, 37 members, 47,536 WUs processed with 62.2 years

    > CPU
    > > time.
    > >
    > > Congratulations to all involved, it's good to see some new names there.
    > >
    > > http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_155750.html
    > > --
    > > ~misfit~
    > >

    > > ---
    > >

    > I must say, I haven't got SETI running anymore, so you can take 1 member

    or
    > your member count.

    Hey Scott. I'll just leave you there. The group still gets credits for the
    WUs that you've done and, you never know, you might want to start up again
    one day.

    Thanks.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Oct 5, 2003
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "steve" wrote
    > > > I must say, I haven't got SETI running anymore, so you can take 1

    member
    > > > or your member count.

    > > If you did even one WU, then your work is still part of the total.

    > 2 or 3 more members have joined since the first post... some fairly high
    > ones too, dropped me from 8th to 10th...
    >
    > I think its "Brogue" and "dannyandjo"

    Awesome. We are becoming a group to be reckoned with. :)

    I used to be in the top 10, now I'm 19th. It's all good.

    Thanks nz.comp, we have a SETI group we can be proud of. 53663 WUs and
    68.992 years CPU time and 40 members.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Oct 5, 2003
  7. On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:21:56 +1200, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his-desk.com>
    wrote:
    >We're doing well folks, 37 members, 47,536 WUs processed with 62.2 years CPU
    >time.

    And zero ETs found. Is this some new use of the phrase "doing well" I
    haven't seen before?

    >Congratulations to all involved

    For wasting power on pointless bullshit? Cheeeeze.

    willy

    WeeWillyWonka, Oct 5, 2003
  8. ~misfit~

    T.N.O. Guest

    "WeeWillyWonka" wrote
    > And zero ETs found. Is this some new use of the phrase "doing well" I
    > haven't seen before?

    <sarcasm>And all that wasted effort into finding a cure for cancer, and they
    still havent found one, pointless waste of time</sarcasm>

    :)

    T.N.O., Oct 5, 2003
  9. On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 16:25:47 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:
    >"WeeWillyWonka" wrote
    >> And zero ETs found. Is this some new use of the phrase "doing well" I
    >> haven't seen before?

    ><sarcasm>And all that wasted effort into finding a cure for cancer, and they
    >still havent found one, pointless waste of time</sarcasm>

    U got it.

    willy

    WeeWillyWonka, Oct 5, 2003
  10. ~misfit~

    ZZzz Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > 2 or 3 more members have joined since the first post... some fairly high
    > ones too, dropped me from 8th to 10th...

    I didn't realise nz.comp had a group running - I'll join up soon and see if
    I can knock you outta the top 10 ;-)

    ZZzz, Oct 5, 2003
  11. ~misfit~

    T.N.O. Guest

    "ZZzz" wrote
    > I didn't realise nz.comp had a group running - I'll join up soon and see

    if
    > I can knock you outta the top 10 ;-)

    If you can beat 125X then you can kick me out of the top 10... but at the
    rate Im going, I should be at 1300 by the end of the week.

    T.N.O., Oct 5, 2003
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "WeeWillyWonka" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:21:56 +1200, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his-desk.com>
    > wrote:
    > >We're doing well folks, 37 members, 47,536 WUs processed with 62.2 years

    CPU
    > >time.

    > And zero ETs found. Is this some new use of the phrase "doing well" I
    > haven't seen before?

    Obviously. Although why you're asking me is a bit of a puzzle.

    > >Congratulations to all involved

    > For wasting power on pointless bullshit? Cheeeeze.

    No, this is pointless bullshit, me replying to a moron.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Oct 5, 2003
  13. On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 00:45:50 +0000, WeeWillyWonka wrote:

    > And zero ETs found. Is this some new use of the phrase "doing well" I
    > haven't seen before?

    The ETs are of course using some form of transmission which we can't see
    using 3-dimensional methods in order to bypass lightspeed restrictions.

    The universe is at least 9 dimensional, according to most theoretical
    physicists. :)

    Tesseracts anyone?

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 5, 2003
  14. On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 12:16:12 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Thanks nz.comp, we have a SETI group we can be proud of. 53663 WUs and
    > 68.992 years CPU time and 40 members.

    Chasing optimal goulomb rules is probably more productive, near term. It's
    also far lower loading on the average PC.

    OGRs are needed (among other reasons) to optimise spacing of radio
    telescopes so that they can listen for ET most effectively...

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 5, 2003
  15. ~misfit~

    Stuart Guest

    "you know in about 20 years time the alien ships will land here on Earth and
    demand to know why we've been DOSing their alien network 20 light years away
    with random packets"
    http://bash.org/?141357

    Stuart, Oct 7, 2003
  16. ~misfit~

    ZZzz Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > If you can beat 125X then you can kick me out of the top 10... but at the
    > rate Im going, I should be at 1300 by the end of the week.

    I'm at about half of that... shouldn't take too long to catch up tho :)

    Man theres a big difference between #1 and the rest - I wonder how he/she
    managed to get that amount under their belts.

    ZZzz, Oct 7, 2003
  17. ~misfit~

    T.N.O. Guest

    "ZZzz" wrote
    > Man theres a big difference between #1 and the rest - I wonder how he/she
    > managed to get that amount under their belts.

    multiple machines? seti hacks? :)

    maybe they live on the cutting edge of PCs... my first machine used to take
    a week to do units, now I do ~14 a day.

    T.N.O., Oct 7, 2003
  18. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "ZZzz" wrote
    > > Man theres a big difference between #1 and the rest - I wonder how

    he/she
    > > managed to get that amount under their belts.

    > multiple machines? seti hacks? :)
    >
    > maybe they live on the cutting edge of PCs... my first machine used to

    take
    > a week to do units, now I do ~14 a day.

    I believe 'MMP Forever' has access to multiple machines and has been doing
    it for years. In fact, if you click on the little 'profile' icon (small
    face, just checked it now) you'll see he has been a SETI member since June
    1999 and has had roughly nine machines running since then.

    My first machine that I used for SETI, also in '99, was a 486 and took about
    a week of 24/7 operation. I just set up a P120 a couple of days ago and,
    just for the hell of it, have it crunching SETI. So far it has done 30% of a
    WU in 23 hours. Using the GUI, version 3.07.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Oct 7, 2003
  19. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > > "ZZzz" wrote
    > > > Man theres a big difference between #1 and the rest - I wonder how

    > he/she
    > > > managed to get that amount under their belts.

    > > multiple machines? seti hacks? :)
    > >
    > > maybe they live on the cutting edge of PCs... my first machine used to

    > take
    > > a week to do units, now I do ~14 a day.

    > I believe 'MMP Forever' has access to multiple machines and has been doing
    > it for years. In fact, if you click on the little 'profile' icon (small
    > face, just checked it now) you'll see he has been a SETI member since

    June
    > 1999 and has had roughly nine machines running since then.
    >
    > My first machine that I used for SETI, also in '99, was a 486 and took

    about
    > a week of 24/7 operation. I just set up a P120 a couple of days ago and,
    > just for the hell of it, have it crunching SETI. So far it has done 30% of

    > WU in 23 hours. Using the GUI, version 3.07.

    Also, very soon it won't matter how many units you currently have. See:

    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/boinc_transition_plan.html
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---