    Sometimes the best answer isn't the one you expect.

    "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then
    you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
    steve, Sep 5, 2004

  2. steve

    Evil Bastard Guest

    steve wrote:
    > If anyone wants a newsgroup where only Microsoft solutions are permissible,
    > can I resepctfully suggest they create:
    >
    > nz.comp.microsoft-windows
    >
    > This is nz.comp.....and you will - from time to time - be exposed to a wider
    > range of possible solutions to the problems referenced here.
    >
    > Sometimes the best answer isn't the one you expect.
    >
    > "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then
    > you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

    Oh, Mr Withers, you are so... diplomatic.

    I would have suggested nz.comp.suckers !

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Sep 5, 2004

  3. steve

    Chris Guest

    steve wrote:
    > If anyone wants a newsgroup where only Microsoft solutions are permissible,
    > can I resepctfully suggest they create:
    >
    > nz.comp.microsoft-windows
    >
    > This is nz.comp.....and you will - from time to time - be exposed to a wider
    > range of possible solutions to the problems referenced here.
    >
    > Sometimes the best answer isn't the one you expect.
    >
    > "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then
    > you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

    Perhaps there should be a nz.comp.linux group as well, and why not a
    nz.comp.mac-os group or better yet why not an nz.comp.advocacy group
    were everyone can compare the size of their OS till the penguins get
    eaten by the sea lions :)
    Chris, Sep 5, 2004
  4. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Evil Bastard wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >> If anyone wants a newsgroup where only Microsoft solutions are
    >> permissible, can I resepctfully suggest they create:
    >>
    >> nz.comp.microsoft-windows
    >>
    >> This is nz.comp.....and you will - from time to time - be exposed to
    >> a wider range of possible solutions to the problems referenced here.
    >>
    >> Sometimes the best answer isn't the one you expect.
    >>
    >> "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.
    >> Then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

    > Oh, Mr Withers, you are so... diplomatic.
    >
    > I would have suggested nz.comp.suckers !

    Let's not forget that there are a couple of goats in the back paddock:

    http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/hosts_user.php?userid=4637

    :)
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 5, 2004
  5. "steve" <> wrote in message

    > If anyone wants a newsgroup where only Microsoft solutions are
    > permissible,
    > can I resepctfully suggest they create:
    >
    > nz.comp.microsoft-windows

    No no no... Windows users are comfortable right here. Perhaps a more
    suitable newsgroup might be nz.comp.linux.moonbats which would be limited to
    bashing Microsoft and insulting Windows users, discussing the epic struggle
    between the shining light of the linux community and the dark oppressive
    world of corporations and closed-source, a forum where people can discuss
    why they chose linux over windows and about how the one true path to
    righteousness is open-source, and, you know, endlessly beating the linux
    tamborine.

    Yeah... nz.comp.linux.moonbats -- a perfect solution not just for the
    moonbats.

    Tony.
    ---
    http://iraqthemodel.blogspot.com
    The Black Wibble, Sep 5, 2004
  6. steve

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 09:11:45 +1200, steve <>
    wrote:

    >If anyone wants a newsgroup where only Microsoft solutions are permissible,
    >can I resepctfully suggest they create:
    >
    >nz.comp.microsoft-windows
    >
    >This is nz.comp.....and you will - from time to time - be exposed to a wider
    >range of possible solutions to the problems referenced here.
    >
    >Sometimes the best answer isn't the one you expect.

    Steve you're not from here & it's become obvious you're having trouble
    accepting the Kiwi way of life. I'll give you a little insight into
    the Kiwi psyche.... I suggest you read it carefully because it will
    help you understand a little better just where we stand here.

    There's a few character traits that Kiwis just hate Steve. We hate
    complainers, we hate critics & most of all we detest blowhards.

    Blowhards Steve, the strutting peacocks who think they know it all &
    take every opportunity to leap on the big stage and tell everyone how
    shit-hot they are. They learn a little about something & from then
    onwards they're the world's expert. They know everything, they can't
    possibly be wrong & they think everyone else is so stupid they have to
    be told what to do & how to think.

    That's you Steve, or at least that's how you come across to me and
    judging by some of the other comments that's how you come across to a
    lot of other people too.

    Now you might like to play the three monkeys & pretend you're the
    messiah put on this world to show us sheep the light, but all I see is
    a pompous ass who refuses to show any respect or consideration towards
    others who wish to use what is a public forum. And that's how you're
    going to be treated Steve, it's not about Linux or Windows or
    Microsoft or anyone else. It's about how you, and a few others, abuse
    this newsgroup with your preaching, sneering, snide remarks and
    constant interjections into conversations which are none of your
    godamned business.

    >"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then
    >you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

    But you're not Gandhi Steve. You're a nobody Steve, just like the rest
    of us here. We're a collection of Joe-blows with no pretensions or
    delusions of grandeur, we simply want the freedom to use this forum as
    it was intended to be used.

    It's real simple mate. It's not Linux that people object to. It's you
    and the way you treat this newsgroup... along with a few others who
    haven't quite picked up on the fact that the Kiwi way of life is to
    live & let live. It's a good way of life, and I suggest you start
    practising it because it will save you a pile of aggravation.

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, Sep 5, 2004
  7. steve

    EMB Guest

    Gavin Tunney wrote:

    <snip description of his perception of Steve>

    Spot on Gavin.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply
    EMB, Sep 6, 2004
  8. In message <>, Gavin Tunney
    <> wrote:

    >It's real simple mate. It's not Linux that people object to. It's you
    >and the way you treat this newsgroup... along with a few others who
    >haven't quite picked up on the fact that the Kiwi way of life is to
    >live & let live. It's a good way of life, and I suggest you start
    >practising it because it will save you a pile of aggravation.

    The irony is so sharp it hurts!

    While I'd be the first to agree that Steve can be a pain in the neck,
    in this case I think he's right. This is an open forum and if he, or
    any other Linux advocate, wants to suggest Linux as a solution to a
    Windows problem, that's their right. If you don't want to hear it,
    the proper answer is to set up your own group with a narrower focus.

    This is nz.comp, not nz.comp.conformity. If you want to avoid linux
    set up a linux-free group. If you don't like Steve, kill-file him.

    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Sep 6, 2004
  9. "steve" <> wrote in message

    > If anyone wants a newsgroup where only Microsoft solutions are
    > permissible,
    > can I resepctfully suggest they create:
    >
    > nz.comp.microsoft-windows
    >
    > This is nz.comp.....and you will - from time to time - be exposed to a
    > wider
    > range of possible solutions to the problems referenced here.
    >
    > Sometimes the best answer isn't the one you expect.
    >
    > "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then
    > you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

    FWIW I'm all for keeping nz.comp the free-for-all that it is and hopefully
    always will be. I'd hate to see it splinter into a myriad of bland <insert
    OS name here> subgroups where everybody agrees with each other. A little
    diversity (and tolerance) goes a long, long way.

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ
    Brett Roberts, Sep 6, 2004
  10. steve

    bambam Guest

    Gavin Tunney <> wrote in

    > There's a few character traits that Kiwis just hate Steve. We hate
    > complainers, we hate critics & most of all we detest blowhards.

    And yet John Banks is the mayor of Auckland, go figure. ;)

    --
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
    bambam, Sep 6, 2004
  11. steve

    cowboyz Guest

    steve wrote:
    > If anyone wants a newsgroup where only Microsoft solutions are
    > permissible, can I resepctfully suggest they create:
    >
    > nz.comp.microsoft-windows
    >
    > This is nz.comp.....and you will - from time to time - be exposed to
    > a wider range of possible solutions to the problems referenced here.
    >
    > Sometimes the best answer isn't the one you expect.
    >
    > "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.
    > Then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

    Linux has been around for a while now and shown its face on the desktop
    market for long enough that those who want to use it really have no excuse
    for not getting a copy and playing with it. What seems incredible to me if
    how linux-advocates (that discriptive title deserves to be hyponated in the
    new age of computers) are still trying to promote it as the be all and end
    all of computers when so many have gone that way and are back on windows.
    Yes Linux *is* faster on a PIII 500 with 64 meg of ram but hold on.. I am
    not running a PIII500 with 64 meg of ram!!! I can't tell the speed
    difference between XP and Mandrake (with KDE or KNOME) on my 2Ghz machine so
    the speed theroy is out. What are the other reasons I should throw away my
    copy of XP? Security.. oh yeah thats right. So I install a few patchs and
    haven't had in the past or will do in the future had any breaches that will
    effect national security. Oh well, thats that arugment out the window....
    What was the other reason again??

    It also makes me laugh when discussion is on what version of windows the
    problem is on. 20 posts later the discussion will be weather the OS is
    WinXP or Win NT5.1 or something to that effect. THEN you talk about the
    Linux kernel and Linux-advocates will argue its 2.2.14 not 2.2.16 or
    whatever. Its this type of technical bitching that keeps normal people
    from taking Linux-advocates seriously.

    Heres the real scoop...

    People who want to use Linux are those who are well minded in the chipsets
    and operations of their hardware and the way UNIX addresses their hardware.
    Without knowing this you really are going to have trouble outside of the box
    of any Linux install.

    A year ago Mandrake/RedHat was going to take over windows because of its
    ease of use and "windows lookalike" Dependacy issues bit that in the arse.
    Again, if you get a little outside of the intital install of Mandrake/redhat
    without know exactly how dependacies work then you are in a world of trouble
    and are going to get an infamous RTFM response very soon.

    RTFM is the most irritating response *ever*. Yes we have read the website
    on how to ask intelligent questions. We know all you "hackers" (cough
    cough) know all about Linux and have read every fucking manual every
    released for every app/cmd ever.

    3rd party support. This one is a biggy, although no real fault of the Linux
    community. 3rd party support is much more in favour of Microsoft products.
    This in itself means that you can go buy virtually any piece of software or
    hardware off the shelf and guarentee that you will get drivers or some form
    of help in it working out of the box. Of course there are still those who
    are going to have trouble (as in the nature of computers) but overall,
    windows has alot better 3rd party support.
    cowboyz, Sep 6, 2004
  12. bambam wrote:
    >>There's a few character traits that Kiwis just hate Steve. We hate
    >>complainers, we hate critics & most of all we detest blowhards.

    > And yet John Banks is the mayor of Auckland, go figure. ;)

    not for long from what I have read... but thats not really on topic here
    anyway, political, and for that matter religious discussion is more
    welcome in other groups.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 6, 2004
  13. steve

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:59:30 +1200, Gavin Tunney <>
    wrote:

    >Blowhards Steve, the strutting peacocks who think they know it all &
    >take every opportunity to leap on the big stage and tell everyone how
    >shit-hot they are.

    I thought they had been hunted to extinction here.
    Bret, Sep 6, 2004
  14. Bret wrote:
    >>Blowhards Steve, the strutting peacocks who think they know it all &
    >>take every opportunity to leap on the big stage and tell everyone how
    >>shit-hot they are.

    > I thought they had been hunted to extinction here.

    nope... still plenty, they tend to congregate together and blow harder
    when in groups.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 6, 2004
  15. steve

    steve Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Evil Bastard wrote:
    >
    >>steve wrote:
    >>
    >>>If anyone wants a newsgroup where only Microsoft solutions are
    >>>permissible, can I resepctfully suggest they create:
    >>>
    >>>nz.comp.microsoft-windows
    >>>
    >>>This is nz.comp.....and you will - from time to time - be exposed to
    >>>a wider range of possible solutions to the problems referenced here.
    >>>
    >>>Sometimes the best answer isn't the one you expect.
    >>>
    >>>"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.
    >>>Then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

    >>Oh, Mr Withers, you are so... diplomatic.
    >>
    >>I would have suggested nz.comp.suckers !

    > Let's not forget that there are a couple of goats in the back paddock:
    >
    > http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/hosts_user.php?userid=4637
    >
    > :)

    One of those has since moved to Linux.....but the web site won't let me
    merge it with the Linux system that replaced it.

    The remain system is for my 11yo...so she can play some games that don't
    run under WINE or Trasgaming.

    Win98SE was, after all, the last relatively secure version of Windows.

    :)
    steve, Sep 6, 2004
  16. steve

    steve Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> If anyone wants a newsgroup where only Microsoft solutions are
    >> permissible,
    >> can I resepctfully suggest they create:
    >>
    >> nz.comp.microsoft-windows
    >>
    >> This is nz.comp.....and you will - from time to time - be exposed to a
    >> wider
    >> range of possible solutions to the problems referenced here.
    >> Sometimes the best answer isn't the one you expect.
    >> "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then
    >> you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
    >>

    > Perhaps there should be a nz.comp.linux group as well, and why not a
    > nz.comp.mac-os group or better yet why not an nz.comp.advocacy group
    > were everyone can compare the size of their OS till the penguins get
    > eaten by the sea lions :)

    Maybe.... :)

    However....you may find that the users of these other platforms aren't
    as intolerant of choice as the Windows users currently moaning about
    hearing of alternatives.

    So those other newsgroups aren't really necessary.

    nz.comp is good enough.

    :)
    steve, Sep 6, 2004
  17. steve

    steve Guest

    Gavin Tunney wrote:

    > On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 09:11:45 +1200, steve <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>If anyone wants a newsgroup where only Microsoft solutions are permissible,
    >>can I resepctfully suggest they create:
    >>
    >>nz.comp.microsoft-windows
    >>
    >>This is nz.comp.....and you will - from time to time - be exposed to a wider
    >>range of possible solutions to the problems referenced here.
    >>
    >>Sometimes the best answer isn't the one you expect.
    >>

    > Steve you're not from here & it's become obvious you're having trouble
    > accepting the Kiwi way of life.

    Your view of Kiwi life is one I am very unlikely to share.

    Is there ONE view of Kiwi life?

    You may well be the sort of person who might think so.

    I leave to your mono-culture.
    steve, Sep 6, 2004
  18. steve

    steve Guest

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:

    > This is nz.comp, not nz.comp.conformity. If you want to avoid linux
    > set up a linux-free group. If you don't like Steve, kill-file him.

    I guess you don't really understand Gavin's Kiwi way of life, either,
    Stumpy.
    steve, Sep 6, 2004
  19. steve

    steve Guest

    Bret wrote:

    > On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:59:30 +1200, Gavin Tunney <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Blowhards Steve, the strutting peacocks who think they know it all &
    >>take every opportunity to leap on the big stage and tell everyone how
    >>shit-hot they are.

    > I thought they had been hunted to extinction here.

    Can't be. Gavin still posts telling others what and how to do
    things...and he's abusive with it.

    The *Irony* in his post is.....heavy.
    steve, Sep 6, 2004
  20. steve

    steve Guest

    Brett Roberts wrote:

    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>If anyone wants a newsgroup where only Microsoft solutions are
    >>permissible,
    >>can I resepctfully suggest they create:
    >>
    >>nz.comp.microsoft-windows
    >>
    >>This is nz.comp.....and you will - from time to time - be exposed to a
    >>wider
    >>range of possible solutions to the problems referenced here.
    >>
    >>Sometimes the best answer isn't the one you expect.
    >>
    >>"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then
    >>you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
    >>

    > FWIW I'm all for keeping nz.comp the free-for-all that it is and hopefully
    > always will be. I'd hate to see it splinter into a myriad of bland <insert
    > OS name here> subgroups where everybody agrees with each other. A little
    > diversity (and tolerance) goes a long, long way.
    >
    > Brett Roberts
    > Microsoft NZ

    According to Gavin, you can't be much of a Kiwi, then, Brett.
    steve, Sep 6, 2004