nz.comp BOINC-ers : Check this out!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Sep 8, 2004.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    steve, Sep 8, 2004

  2. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Sep 8, 2004

  3. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Sep 8, 2004
  4. steve

    Dogg Guest

    On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 09:46:19 +1200, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    <snip>

    >It reads like she's living in the server room.

    Now that's dedication!

    Dogg, Sep 8, 2004
  5. steve

    steve Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> Look at the pic.
    >> Read the quals.
    >> Take the whole thing in.
    >>
    >> Isn't it the cutest SETI profile you've *ever* read? :)
    >>
    >> http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=9209

    > It reads like she's living in the server room.

    That's what I mean.

    An apparently beautiful 27yo Japanese women, with a Doctorate in
    Engineering, working in the national security research area, living in a
    single room full of computers......somewhere in Tokyo.....that she pays N
    $600 / month in power to keep cool enough to be comfortable.

    There are so many pathetic (as in 'pathos') "hooks" in that story, you want
    to take her away from it all for a week with the family in a sunny place on
    a beach and some fresh air.

    steve, Sep 9, 2004
  6. steve

    steve Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> Look at the pic.
    >> Read the quals.
    >> Take the whole thing in.
    >>
    >> Isn't it the cutest SETI profile you've *ever* read? :)
    >>
    >> http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=9209

    > Other than yours, yes. :)
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    My old one or the recently amended one?

    :)

    --
    "Terrorism is the war of the poor and war is the terrorism of the rich." -
    Peter Ustinov

    steve, Sep 9, 2004
  7. steve wrote:
    > Look at the pic.
    > Read the quals.
    > Take the whole thing in.
    > Isn't it the cutest SETI profile you've *ever* read? :)

    I guess I missed it.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 9, 2004
  8. steve

    Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:18:05 +1200, steve wrote:

    > Look at the pic.
    > Read the quals.
    > Take the whole thing in.
    >
    > Isn't it the cutest SETI profile you've *ever* read? :)
    >
    > http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=9209

    The language is priceless!

    One can see certain ideomatic English expressions such as "to put out
    feelers" taken from English, translated into Japanese, and then back into
    English as "to extend an antenna". :eek:)

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 9, 2004
  9. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    steve wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> steve wrote:
    >>> Look at the pic.
    >>> Read the quals.
    >>> Take the whole thing in.
    >>>
    >>> Isn't it the cutest SETI profile you've *ever* read? :)
    >>>
    >>> http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=9209

    >> It reads like she's living in the server room.

    > That's what I mean.
    >
    > An apparently beautiful 27yo Japanese women, with a Doctorate in
    > Engineering, working in the national security research area, living
    > in a single room full of computers......somewhere in Tokyo.....that
    > she pays N $600 / month in power to keep cool enough to be
    > comfortable.
    >
    > There are so many pathetic (as in 'pathos') "hooks" in that story,
    > you want to take her away from it all for a week with the family in a
    > sunny place on a beach and some fresh air.

    Pervert! ;-)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 9, 2004
  10. steve

    Dogg Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 12:41:53 +1200, ""
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:18:05 +1200, steve wrote:
    >
    >> Look at the pic.
    >> Read the quals.
    >> Take the whole thing in.
    >>
    >> Isn't it the cutest SETI profile you've *ever* read? :)
    >>
    >> http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=9209

    >The language is priceless!
    >
    >One can see certain ideomatic English expressions such as "to put out
    >feelers" taken from English, translated into Japanese, and then back into
    >English as "to extend an antenna". :eek:)
    >

    >Divine

    " lengthen an antenna" which sounds even worse!

    Dogg, Sep 9, 2004
  11. steve

    steve Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > steve wrote:

    >>There are so many pathetic (as in 'pathos') "hooks" in that story,
    >>you want to take her away from it all for a week with the family in a
    >>sunny place on a beach and some fresh air.

    > Pervert! ;-)

    Why do you think I invited the whole family! :)

    steve, Sep 9, 2004
  12. steve

    steve Guest

    wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:18:05 +1200, steve wrote:
    >

    >>Look at the pic.
    >>Read the quals.
    >>Take the whole thing in.
    >>
    >>Isn't it the cutest SETI profile you've *ever* read? :)
    >>
    >>http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=9209

    > The language is priceless!

    Yes!

    > One can see certain ideomatic English expressions such as "to put out
    > feelers" taken from English, translated into Japanese, and then back into
    > English as "to extend an antenna". :eek:)
    >
    > Divine

    Having worked for some years on a daily basis with colleagues all over
    Asia, that profile really tickled me. :)

    steve, Sep 9, 2004