    Peter Ingham
    Lower Hutt
    New Zealand
    Peter Ingham, Sep 5, 2004

  2. In article <>, ping_SpamTrap@
    3days.co.nz says...
    > Is anyone interested in a CFV etc for establishing nz.comp.advocacy.
    >
    > This can be a place for the endless, puerile, "my OS is better than
    > your OS" arguments.
    >
    > With this new group, responses such as "to solve your problem,
    > reformat and install X" will become explicitly off-topic for nz.comp.

    I'd like to see nz.comp.woger

    In some cases it might be better/easier to move to another OS though ;-)
    Look just call it nz.comp.flame and be done with it.
    wogers nemesis, Sep 5, 2004

  3. Peter Ingham

    Chris Guest

    Peter Ingham wrote:
    > Is anyone interested in a CFV etc for establishing nz.comp.advocacy.
    >
    > This can be a place for the endless, puerile, "my OS is better than
    > your OS" arguments.
    >
    > With this new group, responses such as "to solve your problem,
    > reformat and install X" will become explicitly off-topic for nz.comp.
    >

    > --
    > Please remove '_SpamTrap' when replying. You know why :-(
    >
    > Peter Ingham
    > Lower Hutt
    > New Zealand

    Good idea, but I doubt that it will change things, as who would want to
    join a flame group, it would defeat the original purpose of the "my OS
    is better than your OS" arguments.
    Chris, Sep 5, 2004
  4. Peter Ingham

    Divine Guest

    On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 16:08:04 +1200, Peter Ingham wrote:

    > Is anyone interested in a CFV etc for establishing nz.comp.advocacy.
    >
    > This can be a place for the endless, puerile, "my OS is better than your
    > OS" arguments.
    >
    > With this new group, responses such as "to solve your problem, reformat
    > and install X" will become explicitly off-topic for nz.comp.

    Nah - there simply is not the volume/traffic to warrant dividing this NG.

    Divine

    --
    Humphrey in the BBC comedy Yes Prime Minister: "Although your comments are
    indeed clear, simple and straightforward there is some difficulty in justifiably
    Divine, Sep 5, 2004
  5. Peter Ingham

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Is anyone interested in a CFV etc for establishing nz.comp.advocacy.
    >
    >This can be a place for the endless, puerile, "my OS is better than
    >your OS" arguments.
    >
    >With this new group, responses such as "to solve your problem,
    >reformat and install X" will become explicitly off-topic for nz.comp.

    It's a nice thought Peter, but it wouldn't achieve anything. The
    characters concerned already know their advocacy isn't welcome here.
    It has been made very clear to them that they're blatantly abusing
    this newsgroup, and they know it, but it doesn't stop them. They
    wouldn't use a new group set up just for their type because they'd
    have no audience there. They're on the big stage here (sic) you won't
    get them moving to a NG no-one else will be interested in using.

    Really everyone just needs to keep telling them to piss off, it's the
    only thing they understand and it does work if people were to stop
    trying to reason with them.

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, Sep 5, 2004
  6. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Sun, 05 Sep 2004 16:08:04 +1200, Peter Ingham <>
    says...
    > Is anyone interested in a CFV etc for establishing nz.comp.advocacy.
    >
    > This can be a place for the endless, puerile, "my OS is better than
    > your OS" arguments.
    >
    > With this new group, responses such as "to solve your problem,
    > reformat and install X" will become explicitly off-topic for nz.comp.

    nz.comp/seti?
    Patrick Dunford, Sep 5, 2004
  7. Peter Ingham

    Bret Guest

    On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 18:26:39 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >In article <> in nz.comp on
    >Sun, 05 Sep 2004 16:08:04 +1200, Peter Ingham <>
    >says...
    >> Is anyone interested in a CFV etc for establishing nz.comp.advocacy.
    >>
    >> This can be a place for the endless, puerile, "my OS is better than
    >> your OS" arguments.
    >>
    >> With this new group, responses such as "to solve your problem,
    >> reformat and install X" will become explicitly off-topic for nz.comp.

    >nz.comp/seti?

    Who you trying to kid Patrick, the seti gang would be the major
    presence here :)
    Bret, Sep 5, 2004
  8. Peter Ingham

    steve Guest

    Peter Ingham wrote:

    > Is anyone interested in a CFV etc for establishing nz.comp.advocacy.
    >
    > This can be a place for the endless, puerile, "my OS is better than
    > your OS" arguments.
    >
    > With this new group, responses such as "to solve your problem,
    > reformat and install X" will become explicitly off-topic for nz.comp.

    You first.

    C ya.
    steve, Sep 5, 2004
  9. Peter Ingham wrote:
    > Is anyone interested in a CFV etc for establishing nz.comp.advocacy.
    > This can be a place for the endless, puerile, "my OS is better than
    > your OS" arguments.
    > With this new group, responses such as "to solve your problem,
    > reformat and install X" will become explicitly off-topic for nz.comp.

    it does sound like a good answer to it.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 5, 2004
  10. Peter Ingham

    steve Guest

    Gavin Tunney wrote:

    > It's a nice thought Peter, but it wouldn't achieve anything. The
    > characters concerned already know their advocacy isn't welcome here.

    If Linux is proposed as the solutoin to a stated problem, it will be a valid
    solution.

    This isn't nz.comp.windows.

    --
    "Terrorism is the war of the poor and war is the terrorism of the rich." -
    Peter Ustinov
    steve, Sep 5, 2004
  11. Peter Ingham

    steve Guest

    Peter Ingham wrote:

    > Is anyone interested in a CFV etc for establishing nz.comp.advocacy.
    >
    > This can be a place for the endless, puerile, "my OS is better than
    > your OS" arguments.
    >
    > With this new group, responses such as "to solve your problem,
    > reformat and install X" will become explicitly off-topic for nz.comp.

    If Linux is proposed as the solutoin to a stated problem, it will be a valid
    solution.

    This isn't nz.comp.windows.

    Maybe you should go create that newsgroup...so you don't have to be exposed
    to a wider range of computing in New Zealand.

    This is nz.comp.
    steve, Sep 5, 2004
  12. Divine wrote:
    >>With this new group, responses such as "to solve your problem, reformat
    >>and install X" will become explicitly off-topic for nz.comp.

    > Nah - there simply is not the volume/traffic to warrant dividing this NG.

    especially if we remove all of your posts :)

    nz.comp will have ~10 posts. n.c.advocacy would have ~200.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 5, 2004
  13. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > nz.comp/seti?

    probaby nz.comp.cpu-based-research would probably be a better/more
    appropriate name :)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 5, 2004
  14. Peter Ingham

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 09:06:58 +1200, steve <> wrote:

    >Peter Ingham wrote:
    >
    >> Is anyone interested in a CFV etc for establishing nz.comp.advocacy.
    >>
    >> This can be a place for the endless, puerile, "my OS is better than
    >> your OS" arguments.
    >>
    >> With this new group, responses such as "to solve your problem,
    >> reformat and install X" will become explicitly off-topic for nz.comp.

    >If Linux is proposed as the solutoin to a stated problem, it will be a valid
    >solution.

    That may well be true, the problem that gets peoples backs up is that it's
    offered as the only solution to a simple problem that should have a
    better/easier solution.

    It's like suggesting someone buy a new car because they have a flat tyre. The
    better solution would be to get the tyre fixed or get a new tyre, not replace
    the whole car.
    Craig Shore, Sep 5, 2004
  15. Peter Ingham

    Chris Guest

    steve wrote:

    > Peter Ingham wrote:
    >

    >>Is anyone interested in a CFV etc for establishing nz.comp.advocacy.
    >>
    >>This can be a place for the endless, puerile, "my OS is better than
    >>your OS" arguments.
    >>
    >>With this new group, responses such as "to solve your problem,
    >>reformat and install X" will become explicitly off-topic for nz.comp.

    > If Linux is proposed as the solutoin to a stated problem, it will be a valid
    > solution.
    >
    > This isn't nz.comp.windows.
    >
    > Maybe you should go create that newsgroup...so you don't have to be exposed
    > to a wider range of computing in New Zealand.
    >
    > This is nz.comp.

    I see it took you 15 minutes to formulate this second reply. I wonder
    if that was 15 minutes to think outside the penguin or 15 minutes to
    calm down :)
    Chris, Sep 5, 2004
  16. Peter Ingham

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <> in nz.comp on
    > Sun, 05 Sep 2004 16:08:04 +1200, Peter Ingham
    > <> says...
    >> Is anyone interested in a CFV etc for establishing nz.comp.advocacy.
    >>
    >> This can be a place for the endless, puerile, "my OS is better than
    >> your OS" arguments.
    >>
    >> With this new group, responses such as "to solve your problem,
    >> reformat and install X" will become explicitly off-topic for nz.comp.

    > nz.comp/seti?

    Are you seriously comparing the recent trickle of SETI posts in a comp group
    to the on-going deluge of posts by sweatband-wearing, katana wielding
    fanatics who feel the solution to *any* problem, computer-related or
    otherwise, is installation of the one true God's own OS, Linux?
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 5, 2004
  17. In article <413bc4ce$1_1@127.0.0.1>, steve <> was seen to type:
    >Craig Shore wrote:

    There is a more general (non nz) group for exactly that BTW.

    Yeah, that'll work ... like anyone actually 'knows there even is a' or
    reads the charter ... or takes any notice thereof :) :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 6, 2004
  18. Peter Ingham

    steve Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 09:06:58 +1200, steve <> wrote:
    >

    >>Peter Ingham wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is anyone interested in a CFV etc for establishing nz.comp.advocacy.
    >>>
    >>>This can be a place for the endless, puerile, "my OS is better than
    >>>your OS" arguments.
    >>>
    >>>With this new group, responses such as "to solve your problem,
    >>>reformat and install X" will become explicitly off-topic for nz.comp.

    >>If Linux is proposed as the solutoin to a stated problem, it will be a valid
    >>solution.

    > That may well be true, the problem that gets peoples backs up is that it's
    > offered as the only solution to a simple problem that should have a
    > better/easier solution.
    >
    > It's like suggesting someone buy a new car because they have a flat tyre. The
    > better solution would be to get the tyre fixed or get a new tyre, not replace
    > the whole car.

    Very true!

    But after seeing a thousand posts about flat tyres on a particular model
    of car, one could be forgiven for suggesting a new car might be in order.
    steve, Sep 6, 2004
  19. Peter Ingham

    steve Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Ingham wrote:
    >>

    >>> Is anyone interested in a CFV etc for establishing nz.comp.advocacy.
    >>>
    >>> This can be a place for the endless, puerile, "my OS is better than
    >>> your OS" arguments.
    >>>
    >>> With this new group, responses such as "to solve your problem,
    >>> reformat and install X" will become explicitly off-topic for nz.comp.

    >> If Linux is proposed as the solutoin to a stated problem, it will be a
    >> valid
    >> solution.
    >> This isn't nz.comp.windows.
    >> Maybe you should go create that newsgroup...so you don't have to be
    >> exposed
    >> to a wider range of computing in New Zealand.
    >> This is nz.comp.

    > I see it took you 15 minutes to formulate this second reply. I wonder
    > if that was 15 minutes to think outside the penguin or 15 minutes to
    > calm down :)

    I was taking out the rubbish, actually. :)
    steve, Sep 6, 2004
  20. steve wrote:
    >> It's like suggesting someone buy a new car because they have a flat
    >> tyre. The
    >> better solution would be to get the tyre fixed or get a new tyre, not
    >> replace
    >> the whole car.

    > Very true!
    > But after seeing a thousand posts about flat tyres on a particular model
    > of car, one could be forgiven for suggesting a new car might be in order.

    or maybe a different brand of tire.. but surely that would be too easy.
    why change a simple tire when you can change the whole freaking car.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 6, 2004