NZ "broadband"

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter, Mar 18, 2007.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    There was an article on TV this evening (20/20, I think) "breaking" the news
    that NZ broadband is woeful by international standards. Good article, just
    a year or 3 behind the times.
    Everyone knows that Telecom is sucking all the value out of NZ that its
    monopoly will provide, for as long as it can. The only question is why the
    Commerce Commission doesn't do anything. Isn't ComCom supposed to be on
    the side of the consumers and the public?

    Another disappointment was the government response. Faced with the obvious
    failure of the market to invest in modern network infrastructure, Cunliffe
    says the government will do nothing and continue wait for the market to
    make the investment. It wasn't really clear if he thought this would be
    Telecom (who obviously have no intention of investing much), or their
    competitors (who would be investing against the Telecom monopoly).

    At least the doco did give a bit of air time to Rod Drury, who seems to be
    one of the few to have any clues about all this.
    http://www.drury.net.nz/digital-trade-routes

    Perhaps the biggest disappointment was a discussion today with a high school
    student, who is already earning foreign $$ selling web products overseas,
    and who says he will leave NZ as soon as he can - the internet in NZ sucks.

    Peter
    Peter, Mar 18, 2007

  2. Peter

    Stu Fleming Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > Another disappointment was the government response. Faced with the obvious
    > failure of the market to invest in modern network infrastructure, Cunliffe
    > says the government will do nothing and continue wait for the market to
    > make the investment. It wasn't really clear if he thought this would be

    That's the correct response, in my opinion.

    > Telecom (who obviously have no intention of investing much), or their
    > competitors (who would be investing against the Telecom monopoly).
    >
    > At least the doco did give a bit of air time to Rod Drury, who seems to be
    > one of the few to have any clues about all this.
    > http://www.drury.net.nz/digital-trade-routes

    I think he's on the wrong track. Government owned and operated service
    is bad news. Locally owned infrastructure (think: ducting) is a better
    idea. Layer 0 of the network stack is where the hard yakka is.

    > Perhaps the biggest disappointment was a discussion today with a high school
    > student, who is already earning foreign $$ selling web products overseas,
    > and who says he will leave NZ as soon as he can - the internet in NZ sucks.

    Good luck to him. I'd encourage him to get out and test his stuff
    against the best. That kind will always come back later.
    Stu Fleming, Mar 18, 2007

  3. Peter

    Bobs Guest

    On Mar 18, 8:56 pm, Peter <> wrote:

    > Perhaps the biggest disappointment was a discussion today with a high school
    > student, who is already earning foreign $$ selling web products overseas,
    > and who says he will leave NZ as soon as he can - the internet in NZ sucks.
    >
    > Peter

    wELL, LET'S hope he doesn't go to Australia because the internet over
    there is even worse.
    Bobs, Mar 18, 2007
  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Stu Fleming wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >> Another disappointment was the government response. Faced with the
    >> obvious failure of the market to invest in modern network infrastructure,
    >> Cunliffe says the government will do nothing and continue wait for the
    >> market to make the investment.

    > That's the correct response, in my opinion.

    This response has been counter productive so far. NZ has gone backwards
    relative to other developed countries.

    >> Perhaps the biggest disappointment was a discussion today with a high
    >> school student, who is already earning foreign $$ selling web products
    >> overseas, and who says he will leave NZ as soon as he can - the internet
    >> in NZ sucks.

    > Good luck to him. I'd encourage him to get out and test his stuff
    > against the best. That kind will always come back later.

    Undoubtedly, it is the correct choice for him.
    My concern is for NZ. This anecdote illustrates how poor things are here
    for the brightest young people. Wouldn't it be so much better if NZ had
    world class network infrastructure? Then the brightest young folk would
    come here, enjoying our natural advantages (surf, snow, scenery, etc) and
    increasing wealth production in NZ.

    Peter
    Peter, Mar 18, 2007
  5. In article <1174207881.152297@ftpsrv1>, Peter <> wrote:

    >There was an article on TV this evening (20/20, I think) "breaking" the news
    >that NZ broadband is woeful by international standards. Good article, just
    >a year or 3 behind the times.
    >Everyone knows that Telecom is sucking all the value out of NZ that its
    >monopoly will provide, for as long as it can. The only question is why the
    >Commerce Commission doesn't do anything. Isn't ComCom supposed to be on
    >the side of the consumers and the public?

    There's an article in the latest 'consumer' saying that telecom are not
    taking any more go large subscribers; that they accept it was a disaster and
    that they will be refunding money to many. Sure sounds broken to me :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 19, 2007
  6. In article <1174246231.167597@ftpsrv1>, Peter <> wrote:
    >Stu Fleming wrote:
    >> Peter wrote:
    >>> Another disappointment was the government response. Faced with the
    >>> obvious failure of the market to invest in modern network infrastructure,
    >>> Cunliffe says the government will do nothing and continue wait for the
    >>> market to make the investment.

    >> That's the correct response, in my opinion.

    >This response has been counter productive so far. NZ has gone backwards
    >relative to other developed countries.

    Some interesting news recently on local communities getting together to lay
    cable. The example was in the Nelson area IIRC and apparently it is
    relatively cheap and available for anyone (including telcos) to rent. Sounds
    like a plan to me :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 19, 2007
  7. Peter

    Sir to you Guest

    On Mar 18, 10:18 pm, "Bobs" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 18, 8:56 pm, Peter <> wrote:
    >

    > > Perhaps the biggest disappointment was a discussion today with a high school
    > > student, who is already earning foreign $$ selling web products overseas,
    > > and who says he will leave NZ as soon as he can - the internet in NZ sucks.

    > > Peter

    > wELL, LET'S hope he doesn't go to Australia because the internet over
    > there is even worse.

    Eh? The program said aussies internet was better - are you saying ADSL
    2 is not so good as ADSL?
    Sir to you, Mar 19, 2007
  8. Peter

    Blue Guest

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 00:23:21 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > In article <1174246231.167597@ftpsrv1>, Peter <>
    > wrote:
    >>Stu Fleming wrote:
    >>>
    >>> That's the correct response, in my opinion.

    >>This response has been counter productive so far. NZ has gone backwards
    >>relative to other developed countries.

    > Some interesting news recently on local communities getting together to
    > lay cable. The example was in the Nelson area IIRC and apparently it is
    > relatively cheap and available for anyone (including telcos) to rent.
    > Sounds like a plan to me :)

    The Tasman District Council needed to connect is far flung empire by
    fibre and was doing so. They thought, lets add in some extra capacity,
    like plenty as it will never be cheaper and the extra capacity was only
    the cost of the extra fibre.

    This extra capacity is being leased as dark pipes to anyone who wants one
    and can pay the price.

    In Christchurch, Fibre Networks, owned by the Council, has struck out and
    is laying fibre between places which require a fast connection to the
    others.

    Its starting.

    Its a start.
    Blue, Mar 19, 2007