NZ based webhosts

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Jenkins, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. I am looking for a webhost for a couple of NZ based sites.
    The requirements are;
    Must be NZ based servers ( the target audience is NZ only,
    with not a great deal of traffic from overseas) -this is
    essential.
    Must be able to pay for it by credit card or direct debit
    either monthly or a year in advance - as long as I get a
    reminder email when the time is coming up...
    About 30-50M space (can squeeze into 20M at a pinch)
    CGI
    FTP access 24/7
    Access to comprehensive web statistics
    A good control panel
    Not windows, preferably Unix or similar
    A support phone number that is answered on weekends -
    doesnt have to be 24/7, but at least days and evenings, but
    then if they're any good I should never have to use it!
    Regular backups done
    Ability to customise error pages

    Things that would be nice to have but not essential ;
    A guestbook would be a big plus
    Form to email would be useful
    A configurable counter would be nice
    Access to a secure server/SSL certificate/shopping cart would be a plus,
    as I envisage a need to take credit card transactions in the future.
    RealAudio/Video Streaming
    Password Protected Directories

    Do not need Frontpage Extensions, or any database stuff.
    Dont need forums, chat rooms or mailing lists etc
    Dont need subdomains
    Do not need email, fowarders etc etc

    One of the sites needs to have multiple domain names pointed at
    it. Whoever I host the sites with I will also do the domain names with.

    Something like this one but locally hosted would be good
    http://www.superhost.co.nz/pricing_sm.htm
    Up to around $20 a month as this is for non-profits.
    As per above, dont need many of the features that superhost
    offer
    Regards
    Peter J

    Peter Jenkins, Jul 16, 2003

  2. Peter Jenkins

    Brett Cooper Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:22:34 GMT, Chris Mayhew <> wrote:

    >"Peter Jenkins" <peja!!!!capitalpunishmentforspammers!!!!@xtra.co.enzed>
    >wrote in news:rjkRa.83043$:
    >
    >> I am looking for a webhost for a couple of NZ based sites.

    >try http://www.aotea.net.nz/

    They look pretty good. http://www.iserve.co.nz/basicplan.php
    is a another option. iserve also have a free url domain redirection and
    email redirection service. So you could have a web name like
    www.HeyKiwi.co.nz and have that pointing to you webspace provided buy your
    isp, eg www.ihug.net.nz/homepages/~mrlongurlname also email will go from
    to your selected email address. And it only costs
    $38 for the Domain name.

    regards
    Brett

    Brett Cooper, Jul 17, 2003

  3. Peter Jenkins

    Gary Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:22:34 GMT, Chris Mayhew <> wrote:

    >"Peter Jenkins" <peja!!!!capitalpunishmentforspammers!!!!@xtra.co.enzed>
    >wrote in news:rjkRa.83043$:
    >
    >> I am looking for a webhost for a couple of NZ based sites.

    >try http://www.aotea.net.nz/

    I know someone who hosts with aotea, and they told me that their
    server has been down for the last few days. I guess you get what you
    pay for.

    Gary, Jul 17, 2003
  4. Peter Jenkins

    Andrew Guest

    you can try interspeed.co.nz

    Andrew, Jul 17, 2003
  5. Peter Jenkins

    Gary Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:32:12 +1200, "Andrew" <>
    wrote:

    >you can try interspeed.co.nz
    >"Rob" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:32:40 +1200, "Peter Jenkins"
    >> <peja!!!!capitalpunishmentforspammers!!!!@xtra.co.enzed> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I am looking for a webhost for a couple of NZ based sites.
    >> >The requirements are;
    >> >Must be NZ based servers ( the target audience is NZ only,
    >> >with not a great deal of traffic from overseas) -this is
    >> >essential.
    >> >Must be able to pay for it by credit card or direct debit
    >> >either monthly or a year in advance - as long as I get a
    >> >reminder email when the time is coming up...
    >> >About 30-50M space (can squeeze into 20M at a pinch)
    >> >CGI
    >> >FTP access 24/7
    >> >Access to comprehensive web statistics
    >> >A good control panel
    >> >Not windows, preferably Unix or similar
    >> >A support phone number that is answered on weekends -
    >> >doesnt have to be 24/7, but at least days and evenings, but
    >> >then if they're any good I should never have to use it!
    >> >Regular backups done
    >> >Ability to customise error pages
    >> >
    >> >Things that would be nice to have but not essential ;
    >> >A guestbook would be a big plus
    >> >Form to email would be useful
    >> >A configurable counter would be nice
    >> >Access to a secure server/SSL certificate/shopping cart would be a plus,
    >> >as I envisage a need to take credit card transactions in the future.
    >> >RealAudio/Video Streaming
    >> >Password Protected Directories
    >> >
    >> >Do not need Frontpage Extensions, or any database stuff.
    >> >Dont need forums, chat rooms or mailing lists etc
    >> >Dont need subdomains
    >> >Do not need email, fowarders etc etc
    >> >
    >> >One of the sites needs to have multiple domain names pointed at
    >> >it. Whoever I host the sites with I will also do the domain names with.
    >> >
    >> >Something like this one but locally hosted would be good
    >> >http://www.superhost.co.nz/pricing_sm.htm
    >> >Up to around $20 a month as this is for non-profits.
    >> >As per above, dont need many of the features that superhost
    >> >offer
    >> >Regards
    >> >Peter J
    >> >

    >> I think you will be hard pushed to find one with 20M + of space for
    >> $20. Some NZ based hosts I have noticed have put up their prices
    >> recently. You could try iserve.co.nz, although I think they only give
    >> you 10M of space.
    >> Watch out for hosts that advertise as being NZ hosts, but infact only
    >> host their IP numbers in NZ, and when you go to the site it forwards
    >> you off to a US server.
    >>
    >> I have personally found no performance issues hosting my site on US
    >> servers.

    They don't use solely New Zealand servers. Many of their sites are
    also hosted overseas.

    Gary, Jul 17, 2003
  6. Peter Jenkins

    RecylerMan Guest

    Peter Jenkins wrote:
    > I am looking for a webhost for a couple of NZ based sites.
    > The requirements are;
    > Must be NZ based servers ( the target audience is NZ only,
    > with not a great deal of traffic from overseas) -this is
    > essential.
    > Must be able to pay for it by credit card or direct debit
    > either monthly or a year in advance - as long as I get a
    > reminder email when the time is coming up...
    > About 30-50M space (can squeeze into 20M at a pinch)
    > CGI
    > FTP access 24/7
    > Access to comprehensive web statistics
    > A good control panel
    > Not windows, preferably Unix or similar
    > A support phone number that is answered on weekends -
    > doesnt have to be 24/7, but at least days and evenings, but
    > then if they're any good I should never have to use it!
    > Regular backups done
    > Ability to customise error pages
    >
    > Things that would be nice to have but not essential ;
    > A guestbook would be a big plus
    > Form to email would be useful
    > A configurable counter would be nice
    > Access to a secure server/SSL certificate/shopping cart would be a plus,
    > as I envisage a need to take credit card transactions in the future.
    > RealAudio/Video Streaming
    > Password Protected Directories
    >
    > Do not need Frontpage Extensions, or any database stuff.
    > Dont need forums, chat rooms or mailing lists etc
    > Dont need subdomains
    > Do not need email, fowarders etc etc
    >
    > One of the sites needs to have multiple domain names pointed at
    > it. Whoever I host the sites with I will also do the domain names with.
    >
    > Something like this one but locally hosted would be good
    > http://www.superhost.co.nz/pricing_sm.htm
    > Up to around $20 a month as this is for non-profits.
    > As per above, dont need many of the features that superhost
    > offer
    > Regards
    > Peter J

    Well you could Try
    http://www.www-hosts.net
    nz baced company accecpt credit cards damgood service and arround 11.95
    for 20meg

    --
    RecylerMan ICQ 22245595

    Mail to :- l i n u x u s r AT i h u g DOT c o DOT n z

    RecylerMan, Jul 17, 2003
  7. Peter Jenkins

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Gary <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:22:34 GMT, Chris Mayhew <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Peter Jenkins" <peja!!!!capitalpunishmentforspammers!!!!@xtra.co.enzed>
    >>wrote in news:rjkRa.83043$:
    >>
    >>> I am looking for a webhost for a couple of NZ based sites.

    >>try http://www.aotea.net.nz/

    > I know someone who hosts with aotea, and they told me that their
    > server has been down for the last few days. I guess you get what you
    > pay for.

    I haven't noticed any problems during the last few days but they do have
    servers in a number of locations. Having said that, I find it hard to
    believe that "their server has been down for the last few days" - it
    doesn't sound logical to me.

    --
    Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

    Chris Mayhew, Jul 17, 2003
  8. Peter Jenkins

    Gary Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:46:45 +1200, RecylerMan
    <0.nz> wrote:

    >Peter Jenkins wrote:
    >> I am looking for a webhost for a couple of NZ based sites.
    >> The requirements are;
    >> Must be NZ based servers ( the target audience is NZ only,
    >> with not a great deal of traffic from overseas) -this is
    >> essential.
    >> Must be able to pay for it by credit card or direct debit
    >> either monthly or a year in advance - as long as I get a
    >> reminder email when the time is coming up...
    >> About 30-50M space (can squeeze into 20M at a pinch)
    >> CGI
    >> FTP access 24/7
    >> Access to comprehensive web statistics
    >> A good control panel
    >> Not windows, preferably Unix or similar
    >> A support phone number that is answered on weekends -
    >> doesnt have to be 24/7, but at least days and evenings, but
    >> then if they're any good I should never have to use it!
    >> Regular backups done
    >> Ability to customise error pages
    >>
    >> Things that would be nice to have but not essential ;
    >> A guestbook would be a big plus
    >> Form to email would be useful
    >> A configurable counter would be nice
    >> Access to a secure server/SSL certificate/shopping cart would be a plus,
    >> as I envisage a need to take credit card transactions in the future.
    >> RealAudio/Video Streaming
    >> Password Protected Directories
    >>
    >> Do not need Frontpage Extensions, or any database stuff.
    >> Dont need forums, chat rooms or mailing lists etc
    >> Dont need subdomains
    >> Do not need email, fowarders etc etc
    >>
    >> One of the sites needs to have multiple domain names pointed at
    >> it. Whoever I host the sites with I will also do the domain names with.
    >>
    >> Something like this one but locally hosted would be good
    >> http://www.superhost.co.nz/pricing_sm.htm
    >> Up to around $20 a month as this is for non-profits.
    >> As per above, dont need many of the features that superhost
    >> offer
    >> Regards
    >> Peter J
    >>

    >Well you could Try
    >http://www.www-hosts.net
    >nz baced company accecpt credit cards damgood service and arround 11.95
    >for 20meg

    I think most of their sites are hosted overseas(could be wrong
    though), although their own site is hosted with Orcon. Try a tracert
    with your site to see where it goes to.

    Gary, Jul 17, 2003
  9. "Gary" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:22:34 GMT, Chris Mayhew <> wrote:
    > >"Peter Jenkins" <>
    > >wrote in
    > >
    > >> I am looking for a webhost for a couple of NZ based sites.

    > >try http://www.aotea.net.nz/

    > I know someone who hosts with aotea, and they told me that their
    > server has been down for the last few days. I guess you get what you
    > pay for.

    Aotea do look like a good deal... but I'd like to hear if anyone has any
    personal experience with them... good or bad.
    Regards
    Peter J

    Peter Jenkins, Jul 18, 2003
  10. Peter Jenkins

    Gary Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:07:44 +1200, "Peter Jenkins"
    <peja!!!!capitalpunishmentforspammers!!!!@xtra.co.enzed> wrote:

    >"Gary" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:22:34 GMT, Chris Mayhew <> wrote:
    >> >"Peter Jenkins" <>
    >> >wrote in

    >> >try http://www.aotea.net.nz/

    >> I know someone who hosts with aotea, and they told me that their
    >> server has been down for the last few days. I guess you get what you
    >> pay for.

    >Aotea do look like a good deal... but I'd like to hear if anyone has any
    >personal experience with them... good or bad.
    >Regards
    >Peter J

    From what my friend told me, they only host some of their sites in NZ.
    My friends one was initially setup on an overseas server, and when he
    found out he insisted that it was put on a NZ server. Since then he
    has had good service, until recently, where there have been some
    outages. Their NZ servers are apparently interconnected to an ISP
    which leads to some performance issues.

    Gary, Jul 18, 2003
  11. Peter Jenkins

    Gary Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:07:44 +1200, "Peter Jenkins"
    <peja!!!!capitalpunishmentforspammers!!!!@xtra.co.enzed> wrote:

    >"Gary" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:22:34 GMT, Chris Mayhew <> wrote:
    >> >"Peter Jenkins" <>
    >> >wrote in

    >> >try http://www.aotea.net.nz/

    >> I know someone who hosts with aotea, and they told me that their
    >> server has been down for the last few days. I guess you get what you
    >> pay for.

    >Aotea do look like a good deal... but I'd like to hear if anyone has any
    >personal experience with them... good or bad.
    >Regards
    >Peter J

    PS. What do you have againest using servers in the US?

    Gary, Jul 18, 2003
  12. "Gary" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:07:44 +1200, "Peter Jenkins"
    > <peja!!!!capitalpunishmentforspammers!!!!@xtra.co.enzed> wrote:

    > >> I know someone who hosts with aotea, and they told me that their
    > >> server has been down for the last few days. I guess you get what you
    > >> pay for.

    > >Aotea do look like a good deal... but I'd like to hear if anyone has any
    > >personal experience with them... good or bad.
    > >Regards
    > >Peter J

    > PS. What do you have againest using servers in the US?

    Nothing all that much except
    1) The target audience, and therefore the bulk of the traffic, will be
    local.
    2) I want the site to be 100% available while NZer's are awake -
    and I want to be able to get service during NZ business hours,
    not US business hours, if I should need it (hopefully not).
    3)A planned outage to work on a server in NZ will hopefully be
    in the wee hours - but the wee hours in the US aren't the same
    as ours :)
    4) If connections outside NZ become overloaded/ unavailable
    I want the site to still be available to local users
    5) I want to use a local hosting company because I like to use NZ
    products/services where practicable.
    Regards
    Peter J

    Peter Jenkins, Jul 22, 2003
  13. "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    > "Peter Jenkins" <peja!!!!capitalpunishmentforspammers!!!!@xtra.co.enzed>
    > wrote in

    > >> I know someone who hosts with aotea, and they told me that their
    > >> server has been down for the last few days. I guess you get what you
    > >> pay for.

    > > Aotea do look like a good deal... but I'd like to hear if anyone has any
    > > personal experience with them... good or bad.
    > > Regards
    > > Peter J
    > >

    > I think I have been using them for about 2 years and there was 1 outage
    > during the first year that lasted 1 or 2 hours as I recall - it was related
    > to a RAID fault that required 1 or more disks being replaced. Also, I
    > forgot to pay the 3 monthly invoice once and they emailed me about 6 weeks
    > after it was due to ask for payment though they hadn't cut my service which
    > I though was pretty reasonable. The servers that i was on were in the US
    > (east coast) they also have servers in UK. Email support was very fast
    > when I needed it (not often) even during the weekend. When I was looking
    > for a host I looked at everybody and decided on Aotea and haven't had any
    > reason to change. Have never had any problems with their email servers
    > which is what I mainly use.

    That's good to know, I will check them out further.
    Thanks for that
    Regards
    Peter J

    Peter Jenkins, Jul 22, 2003