NZ Bans Parallel import DVD's

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Simpson, Oct 29, 2003.

  1. On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:46:35 +1300, "Ralph Mason"
    <> wrote:

    >NZ Bans Parallel import DVD's - Said to 'protect' the NZ cinema industry,
    >which I understand is doing very well anyway.
    >
    >No longer can you Parallel import DVD's within 9 months of it's theater
    >release.
    >
    >Seems to me it does nothing more than make sure that we pay an over inflated
    >price. If the studios are happy to sell the DVD's at a given price in other
    >parts of the world, we should be free to buy them.

    This restriction is only for those who are importing for resale. You
    can still buy DVDs from Amazon for your own use.

    I wrote a column on this subject a week or two ago.

    Bruce Simpson, Oct 29, 2003

  2. Bruce Simpson

    Ralph Mason Guest

    NZ Bans Parallel import DVD's - Said to 'protect' the NZ cinema industry,
    which I understand is doing very well anyway.

    No longer can you Parallel import DVD's within 9 months of it's theater
    release.

    Seems to me it does nothing more than make sure that we pay an over inflated
    price. If the studios are happy to sell the DVD's at a given price in other
    parts of the world, we should be free to buy them.

    What comes next?

    Ralph

    Ralph Mason, Oct 29, 2003

  3. Bruce Simpson

    T.N.O. Guest

    Ralph Mason wrote:
    > What comes next?

    Computer chip implants in your head...
    They are all after you, there is no conspiracy.

    T.N.O., Oct 29, 2003
  4. Bruce Simpson

    Ralph Mason Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > Ralph Mason wrote:
    > > What comes next?

    > Computer chip implants in your head...
    > They are all after you, there is no conspiracy.

    I was thinking more along the lines of some legislation that all computers
    brought must be brought with a copy of windows installed. Because after all
    if you didn't buy it with windows you would be pirating it.

    Makes just as much sense to me.

    Ralph

    Ralph Mason, Oct 29, 2003
  5. Bruce Simpson

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Ralph Mason" <> wrote
    in message news:nOUnb.1892$...

    > NZ Bans Parallel import DVD's - Said to 'protect' the NZ cinema industry,
    > which I understand is doing very well anyway.
    >
    > No longer can you Parallel import DVD's within 9 months of it's theater
    > release.
    >
    > Seems to me it does nothing more than make sure that we pay an over

    inflated
    > price. If the studios are happy to sell the DVD's at a given price in

    other
    > parts of the world, we should be free to buy them.
    >
    > What comes next?
    >
    > Ralph

    The private individual can damn near import what they like. As far as DVD
    imports go retailers like the Warehouse can't import more recent ones.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 29, 2003
  6. Bruce Simpson

    steve Guest

    Ralph Mason allegedly said:

    > NZ Bans Parallel import DVD's - Said to 'protect' the NZ cinema industry,
    > which I understand is doing very well anyway.
    >
    > No longer can you Parallel import DVD's within 9 months of it's theater
    > release.

    For re-sale.

    You and I can do what we like for private use.

    steve, Oct 29, 2003
  7. Bruce Simpson

    Disco Stu Guest

    Ralph Mason wrote:
    > NZ Bans Parallel import DVD's - Said to 'protect' the NZ cinema industry,
    > which I understand is doing very well anyway.

    The provincial Cinema screening industry was suffering under Parallel
    importing.

    Consumers preferred to watch cheaper imported DVD's than see more
    expensive 1st print films at provincial theaters (who had to wait so
    they could afford pre screened - basicly meaning '2nd hand' prints).

    End result: Consumer choice 0, Provincial Theaters 1

    Disco Stu, Oct 29, 2003
  8. Bruce Simpson

    T.N.O. Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > Sounds daft to me if they've included this sort of thing ... but it
    > wouldn't be the first daft law ever passed :)

    Is it true that you still cant legally buy Alcohol from dwarfs on a
    Tuesday afternoon?

    I read this years ago, it *was* a law in NZ from way back, but yeah,
    don't even know where to start to look for that one.

    T.N.O., Oct 29, 2003
  9. Bruce Simpson

    T.N.O. Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > Surely this won't matter when the cinemas go all digital ?

    When... that could be a long way off...

    And surely when it does happen, the price will go down as the there is
    no physical film to make and print to, just copy, paste onto a new Hdd?

    T.N.O., Oct 30, 2003
  10. Bruce Simpson

    T.N.O. Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > but would the movie going public see any reduction in
    > ticket prices ? ... well ... why would they do that ? :)

    Thats like saying that Telecom should change the price of DSL of their
    own free will... where is the incentive.

    T.N.O., Oct 30, 2003
  11. In article <nOUnb.1892$>, "Ralph Mason" <> wrote:
    >NZ Bans Parallel import DVD's - Said to 'protect' the NZ cinema industry,
    >which I understand is doing very well anyway.
    >
    >No longer can you Parallel import DVD's within 9 months of it's theater
    >release.
    >
    >Seems to me it does nothing more than make sure that we pay an over inflated
    >price. If the studios are happy to sell the DVD's at a given price in other
    >parts of the world, we should be free to buy them.

    Does this actually exclude individuals buying them from overseas and
    shipping them here ? ... what about friends sending them to you as
    gifts ?

    Sounds daft to me if they've included this sort of thing ... but it
    wouldn't be the first daft law ever passed :)

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 30, 2003

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 30, 2003
  13. In article <bnpk8l$14v7bt$-berlin.de>, "T.N.O." <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> Sounds daft to me if they've included this sort of thing ... but it
    >> wouldn't be the first daft law ever passed :)

    >Is it true that you still cant legally buy Alcohol from dwarfs on a
    >Tuesday afternoon?
    >
    >I read this years ago, it *was* a law in NZ from way back, but yeah,
    >don't even know where to start to look for that one.

    IIRC it was only a few tens of years ago that the law compelling
    archery practice was repealed. I don't think there was very much
    enforcement tho :) :)

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 30, 2003
  14. In article <bnpkbb$14v7bt$-berlin.de>, "T.N.O." <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> Surely this won't matter when the cinemas go all digital ?

    >When... that could be a long way off...

    I thought there were some now (overseas admitedly).

    >And surely when it does happen, the price will go down as the there is
    >no physical film to make and print to, just copy, paste onto a new Hdd?

    Well ... the cost to the distributors (and maybe the cinemas ?) would
    be less ... but would the movie going public see any reduction in

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 30, 2003
  15. In article <bnpmj0$149o8v$-berlin.de>, "T.N.O." <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> but would the movie going public see any reduction in
    >> ticket prices ? ... well ... why would they do that ? :)

    >Thats like saying that Telecom should change the price of DSL of their
    >own free will... where is the incentive.

    Indeed An unlikely thing I think we'll agree :)

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 30, 2003
  16. Bruce Simpson

    Mutley Guest

    Disco Stu <stu@springfield_dance_studio.com> wrote:

    >Ralph Mason wrote:
    >> NZ Bans Parallel import DVD's - Said to 'protect' the NZ cinema industry,
    >> which I understand is doing very well anyway.

    >The provincial Cinema screening industry was suffering under Parallel
    >importing.
    >
    >Consumers preferred to watch cheaper imported DVD's than see more
    >expensive 1st print films at provincial theaters (who had to wait so
    >they could afford pre screened - basicly meaning '2nd hand' prints).
    >
    >End result: Consumer choice 0, Provincial Theaters 1

    A pretty lame excuse on the part of the theater owners. Anyone
    remember the inflated prices these importers charge?? Far cheaper to
    bring your own in..

    Mutley, Oct 30, 2003
  17. Bruce Simpson

    Mutley Guest

    z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    >In article <>, Disco Stu <stu@springfield_dance_studio.com> wrote:
    >>Ralph Mason wrote:
    >>> NZ Bans Parallel import DVD's - Said to 'protect' the NZ cinema industry,
    >>> which I understand is doing very well anyway.

    >>The provincial Cinema screening industry was suffering under Parallel
    >>importing.
    >>
    >>Consumers preferred to watch cheaper imported DVD's than see more
    >>expensive 1st print films at provincial theaters (who had to wait so
    >>they could afford pre screened - basicly meaning '2nd hand' prints).
    >>
    >>End result: Consumer choice 0, Provincial Theaters 1

    >Surely this won't matter when the cinemas go all digital ?
    >
    >Bruce

    At the cost of around 100K plus per theater. Don't expect these rural
    cinemas to go digital any time soon. Beside 35mm projectors last 50
    years. Digital projectors will be obsolete in about 2 years..

    Mutley, Oct 30, 2003
  18. In <bnpkbb$14v7bt$-berlin.de> T.N.O. wrote:
    > Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> Surely this won't matter when the cinemas go all digital ?

    > When... that could be a long way off...
    >
    > And surely when it does happen, the price will go down as the there is
    > no physical film to make and print to, just copy, paste onto a new Hdd?

    Yeah, like the way CDs are cheaper than records were, or DVDs are
    cheaper than VHS tapes :p

    The movie distributor's costs will fall sharply (no prints, no freight
    costs) and they will finally be able to have world-wide releases of
    movies, but ticket prices will still likely increase. After all, the
    theaters will have to buy new video projectors to show the movies and
    run them in parallel until all movies are released in a digital format,
    and I can imagine the new projectors would cost, what? $50 000?

    PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    order at http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz

    Roger Johnstone, Oct 30, 2003

    Roger Johnstone, Oct 30, 2003
  20. In <bnpkbb$14v7bt$-berlin.de> T.N.O. wrote:
    > Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> Surely this won't matter when the cinemas go all digital ?

    > When... that could be a long way off...
    >
    > And surely when it does happen, the price will go down as the there is
    > no physical film to make and print to, just copy, paste onto a new Hdd?

    Yeah, like the way CDs are cheaper than records were, or DVDs are
    cheaper than VHS tapes :p

    The movie distributor's costs will fall sharply (no prints, no freight
    costs) and they will finally be able to have world-wide releases of
    movies, but ticket prices will still likely increase. After all, the
    theaters will have to buy new video projectors to show the movies and
    run them in parallel until all movies are released in a digital format,
    and I can imagine the new projectors would cost, what? $50 000? $100 000?

    Roger Johnstone, Oct 30, 2003