    2 GB a week?

    I probably need to burn two copies of the backups just to be safe.

    Thanks for any info.
    Widow Twankey, Apr 3, 2004

  2. Widow Twankey

    Damon Guest

    Widow Twankey <> wrote in news:94C1695E296158FCE1@
    130.133.1.4:

    > DVD newbie here.
    >
    > For burning CDs I use a Lite-on 40125S and am very happy with it.
    >
    > Is Lite-on also the best brand for a budget DVD burner? If so
    > which model?
    >
    > What capacity blank DVDs would be the best balance of cost and time
    > to store 150 GB of data as a one-off exercise and then to add about
    > 2 GB a week?
    >
    > I probably need to burn two copies of the backups just to be safe.
    >
    > Thanks for any info.

    You can get the Pioneer 107 at SVPcommunications for about £70

    As for DVD capacity it is 4.7 gig standard,
    Not sure about adding data to written discs though as multi-session DVD
    isn't something I have had to do. You can get DVD-RW so you could over
    write with the same plus added data.

    Damon
    Damon, Apr 3, 2004

  3. Widow Twankey

    MattSmith Guest

    "Widow Twankey" <> wrote in message
    > DVD newbie here.
    >
    > For burning CDs I use a Lite-on 40125S and am very happy with it.
    >
    > Is Lite-on also the best brand for a budget DVD burner? If so
    > which model?
    >
    > What capacity blank DVDs would be the best balance of cost and time
    > to store 150 GB of data as a one-off exercise and then to add about
    > 2 GB a week?
    >
    > I probably need to burn two copies of the backups just to be safe.
    >
    > Thanks for any info.

    for Burners, Pioneer 107, writes at 8X (when you can get the media)

    Media, So many brands about but have a look at www.blankdiscshop.co.uk
    they sell decent media, they don't sell crap. I personally use Datasafe,
    TDK, Maxell and Philips.

    A standard dvd stores 4.7GB, so you will need quite a few discs, as
    for adding data, best use RW media. I personally don't trust multisession
    discs.

    Matt
    MattSmith, Apr 3, 2004
  4. My response is a little OT but personally I don't think DVDs (or CDs) are
    the right media for backup. DVDs are too "static". Have you thought about
    buying another HD ($100) and backing up your data to this drive? I have a
    2nd drive with the OS installed and use it as a back up. If my primary
    fails, I just swap them out and boot up with the backup drive to restore the
    primary data.

    Todd Copeland, Apr 3, 2004
  5. "Todd Copeland" <> wrote in message
    <<Have you thought about buying another HD ($100) and backing up your
    data to this drive? I have a 2nd drive with the OS installed and use it
    as a back up. If my primary fails, I just swap them out and boot up with
    the backup drive to restore the primary data.>>

    That's a great idea.

    Personally, I would create a partition just big enough to contain the
    operating system and swap file. Then I would use the other partition for
    data storage.
    One-Shot Scot, Apr 4, 2004
  6. Widow Twankey

    cd Guest

    On 3 Apr 2004 09:16:37 GMT, Widow Twankey <>
    wrote:

    >DVD newbie here.
    >
    >For burning CDs I use a Lite-on 40125S and am very happy with it.
    >
    >Is Lite-on also the best brand for a budget DVD burner? If so
    >which model?

    The liteon dvd burners are one drive to stay clear of.
    Liteon also make sony drives which are another drive to stay clear of.
    Liteon do make good cd burners now but early on they too had a
    disaterious time of it with there cd burners.

    Buy a pioneer for video burning. If for data bd video then get the lg
    4082 models.

    >What capacity blank DVDs would be the best balance of cost and time
    >to store 150 GB of data as a one-off exercise and then to add about
    >2 GB a week?

    Then the lg 4082 is the best drive to get.
    Not thought about buying a usb2 or firewire hard drive. The store I
    buy from showed me his usb2 setup where he has two usb2 hard drives
    and I was so impressed that I bought a usb2 hard drive for myself.
    I have also bought a lg 4082 on this guys advise and equally happy
    with it.

    >I probably need to burn two copies of the backups just to be safe.
    >
    >Thanks for any info.

    The lg 4082 usng dvd-ram is the way to travel. Over write with ease
    and no frustrations as with dvd-rw and dvd+rw media.

    I was shown by a store I buy from why not to use dvd-rw media and also
    shown why dvd-ram is so cool.

    Looking at the news groups you have posted to I think your based in
    the uk where I am based in Australia so pointless in me posting the
    store where I buy from.

    I am thrilled too bits that I have a lg 4082 and a usb2 hard drive.
    I was advised to get a ext usb2 case and then place a hard drive in
    the case which saves me about $300 over buying a usb2 hard drive that
    is already installed. Cost me all up about $200 oz dollars which is
    about $100 pounds or lower.

    Hope this helps.
    cd, Apr 4, 2004

    "Todd Copeland" <> wrote:

    > My response is a little OT but personally I don't think DVDs
    > (or CDs) are the right media for backup. DVDs are too
    > "static". Have you thought about buying another HD ($100) and
    > backing up your data to this drive? I have a 2nd drive with
    > the OS installed and use it as a back up. If my primary fails,
    > I just swap them out and boot up with the backup drive to
    > restore the primary data.

    In fact, I too currently use hard drives for backup. But the
    volume of data is getting to be too great. The cost is against the
    hard drive (see below) and I already have 5 hard drives on my PC!

    I can get a 160 GB hard drive for about £85 here in the UK (approx
    $135). By comparison a cheap DVD-burner is about £70 ($110) and
    blank DVDs are about 50p (almost $1).

    To store 100 GB I would need approximately 25 DVDs. Plus a DVD
    burner. All of that would cost very approximately what a 160 GB
    hard drive costs. Then additional storage would cost only the
    price of a DVD blank.
    Widow Twankey, Apr 4, 2004
  8. Widow Twankey

    Nookie Guest

    Wait for the dual-layered recorders to come out in two months or so.
    Then buy a bunch of blanks, visit a video rental, and let the fun begin.
    :-DDD
    Nookie, Apr 5, 2004
  9. Widow Twankey

    Pepper Guest

    1: Learn basic English.
    2: Learn that "LG" is synonymous with "junk".
    Pepper, Apr 5, 2004
  10. Widow Twankey

    Damon Guest

    Nookie <> wrote in news:Xns94C2D0FB4F9C8engI@
    193.110.122.80:

    > Wait for the dual-layered recorders to come out in two months or so.
    > Then buy a bunch of blanks, visit a video rental, and let the fun begin.
    >:-DDD

    You missing out on "the fun" now then?

    Damon, Apr 5, 2004