    driver I can find but the problem still exists.

    Can some one help me?

    Thank you.

    Jack Gillis, Oct 29, 2006

  2. Jack Gillis wrote:

    > I use Windows XP Home edition and just installed an NVIDIA MX440 card.
    > Everything runing under XP works just fine. However when I use Norton's
    > Ghost to back up a partions the screen goes blank as soon as the machine
    > reboots into the DOS mode supplied by Ghost to do the backup. This also
    > happens with Partition Magic when redoing a partiton. Also, booting from
    > a DOS floppy produces a blank screen.
    >
    > Google reveasl a whole bunch of post on the DOS vs. MX440 situation but I
    > can find to clear solution to the problem. I believe I have the latest
    > driver I can find but the problem still exists.
    >
    > Can some one help me?

    Which kind of monitor do you have attached to your new video card?
    You may try "dos mode" in XP as well - start -> execute and type "cmd".
    Then, to go to full screen, press ALT and ENTER/CR at the same time.
    You should be able to see a good old DOS prompt within.
    If not, ALT+ENTER again, should restore the previous windows.
    Can you see the BIOS message screen before windows starts?
    If you cannot see that one, your monitor may have troubles syncing to
    standard vga.
    Damn, I have a good old GF2/MX400 and never ran into that problem.

    Walter Mautner, Oct 30, 2006

  3. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in message
    > Jack Gillis wrote:
    >
    >> I use Windows XP Home edition and just installed an NVIDIA MX440 card.
    >> Everything runing under XP works just fine. However when I use Norton's
    >> Ghost to back up a partions the screen goes blank as soon as the machine
    >> reboots into the DOS mode supplied by Ghost to do the backup. This also
    >> happens with Partition Magic when redoing a partiton. Also, booting from
    >> a DOS floppy produces a blank screen.
    >>
    >> Google reveasl a whole bunch of post on the DOS vs. MX440 situation but I
    >> can find to clear solution to the problem. I believe I have the latest
    >> driver I can find but the problem still exists.
    >>
    >> Can some one help me?
    >>

    > Which kind of monitor do you have attached to your new video card?
    > You may try "dos mode" in XP as well - start -> execute and type "cmd".
    > Then, to go to full screen, press ALT and ENTER/CR at the same time.
    > You should be able to see a good old DOS prompt within.
    > If not, ALT+ENTER again, should restore the previous windows.
    > Can you see the BIOS message screen before windows starts?
    > If you cannot see that one, your monitor may have troubles syncing to
    > standard vga.
    > Damn, I have a good old GF2/MX400 and never ran into that problem.
    >
    > --

    I have tried several monitors, flat screens and CRT's with the same result.
    Windows XP DOS mode works fine.

    It us just when the DOS phase of either Partition Magic or Norton Ghost
    boots, that the screen goes blank.
    The same is true if the Partiton Magic or Ghost produced recover floppys
    run -- blank screen.

    Odly enough, with patience the DOS phases complete ok and the Windows
    reboots just fine.

    Go figure!

    BTW my card is a MX440, not a 400.

    Jack Gillis, Oct 30, 2006
  4. Jack Gillis wrote:

    > I have tried several monitors, flat screens and CRT's with the same
    > result. Windows XP DOS mode works fine.
    >
    > It us just when the DOS phase of either Partition Magic or Norton Ghost
    > boots, that the screen goes blank.

    The BIOS bootup screen of your pc (or when you press F8 to get the boot
    menu) - is that one visible?
    That should be before any windows driver is loaded.
    If not - take that video card back to the shop.

    Walter Mautner, Oct 30, 2006
  5. Jack Gillis

    Guest

    On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 17:43:09 -0500, "Jack Gillis"
    <> wrote:

    >I use Windows XP Home edition and just installed an NVIDIA MX440 card.
    >Everything runing under XP works just fine. However when I use Norton's
    >Ghost to back up a partions the screen goes blank as soon as the machine
    >reboots into the DOS mode supplied by Ghost to do the backup. This also
    >happens with Partition Magic when redoing a partiton. Also, booting from a
    >DOS floppy produces a blank screen.
    >
    >Google reveasl a whole bunch of post on the DOS vs. MX440 situation but I
    >can find to clear solution to the problem. I believe I have the latest
    >driver I can find but the problem still exists.
    >
    >Can some one help me?
    >
    >Thank you.

    i hope you paid around $10 for that video card, its really old and a
    shitty 4x version of that series of card.

    , Nov 1, 2006
  6. Jack Gillis

    <> wrote:

    >I use Windows XP Home edition and just installed an NVIDIA MX440 card.
    >Everything runing under XP works just fine. However when I use Norton's
    >Ghost to back up a partions the screen goes blank as soon as the machine
    >reboots into the DOS mode supplied by Ghost to do the backup. This also
    >happens with Partition Magic when redoing a partiton. Also, booting from a
    >DOS floppy produces a blank screen.
    >
    >Google reveasl a whole bunch of post on the DOS vs. MX440 situation but I
    >can find to clear solution to the problem. I believe I have the latest
    >driver I can find but the problem still exists.
    >
    >Can some one help me?
    >
    >Thank you.

    btw: ghost and partition magic are supposed to go to DOS for certain
    actions

    , Nov 1, 2006
  7. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 17:43:09 -0500, "Jack Gillis"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I use Windows XP Home edition and just installed an NVIDIA MX440 card.
    >>Everything runing under XP works just fine. However when I use Norton's
    >>Ghost to back up a partions the screen goes blank as soon as the machine
    >>reboots into the DOS mode supplied by Ghost to do the backup. This also
    >>happens with Partition Magic when redoing a partiton. Also, booting from
    >>DOS floppy produces a blank screen.
    >>
    >>Google reveasl a whole bunch of post on the DOS vs. MX440 situation but I
    >>can find to clear solution to the problem. I believe I have the latest
    >>driver I can find but the problem still exists.
    >>
    >>Can some one help me?
    >>
    >>Thank you.
    >>

    > btw: ghost and partition magic are supposed to go to DOS for certain
    > actions

    Yes, I know that and when they do that is when things don't work.

    Jack Gillis, Nov 1, 2006