nvidia kernel mode driver not responding and has recovered

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by John Knapp, Dec 9, 2009.

  1. John Knapp

    John Knapp Guest

    I keep getting 'nvidia kernel mode driver not responding" when running the
    3d batch assessments. I am using a Nvidia gt 220 with the newest drivers in
    Win 7 64. Any suggestions?

    Description
    A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

    Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

    Files that help describe the problem
    WD-20091208-1937.dmp
    sysdata.xml
    WERInternalMetadata.xml

    View a temporary copy of these files
    Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a
    copy of the files could harm your computer.

    Extra information about the problem
    BCCode: 117
    BCP1: FFFFFA800C1704E0
    BCP2: FFFFF8800FF3C230
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: 0000000000000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 768_1
    John Knapp, Dec 9, 2009

  2. John Knapp

    Carlos Guest

    John,
    Has this issue always been present?
    (If the answer is no, think of all the changes you did when it first showed
    up).
    Did you uninstall previous drivers, boot into "VGA" and then install the
    latest ones?
    NVidia doesn't recommend installing newer drivers on top of the older ones.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 9, 2009

  3. John Knapp

    John Knapp Guest

    It started after the win 7 64 upgrade from Vista 64. I did uninstall
    the drivers first. How can I stop windows from installing the default
    drivers, which cause me issues, automatically on restart? Do I have to
    install them in safe mode?

    John Knapp, Dec 9, 2009
  4. John Knapp

    Carlos Guest

    John,
    Maybe the real issue is that Win 7 is installed "on top" of Vista.
    Anyway, go to Device Manager.
    Right click on your NVidia adapter entry, click Properties.
    Go to the Controller tab and choose uninstall.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 9, 2009
  5. John Knapp

    John Knapp Guest

    Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    How do I reinstall? Won't win 7 try to reinstall the default drivers on
    restart?. Nvidia 191.07 is problematic. I really want 195.62 which I have in
    a downloaded folder

    John Knapp, Dec 9, 2009
  6. John Knapp

    Carlos Guest

    John,
    When you uninstall, there is a check box offering you the option of deleting
    the driver files.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 9, 2009
  7. John Knapp

    John Knapp Guest

    I uninstalled as you suggested. When I restart win7 auto reinstalls the
    191.07 driver. This driver is a problem for me and I would like to install
    195.62

    John Knapp, Dec 9, 2009
  8. John Knapp

    Carlos Guest

    John,
    I have run out of options.
    My last suggestion is checking these two specific NVidia forums:
    "GeForce drivers"
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=33
    "GeForce graphic cards"
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=26