Nvidia is done with AGP

Discussion in 'Front Page News' started by Silverstrand, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Silverstrand

Silverstrand

6800 Ultra remains Nvidia's fastest AGP
    Nvidia is doing the AGP to PCI-E move faster than we expected, as it decided it won't release the Geforce 7800 series in an old fashioned AGP way. The company will isolate 24 pipelined graphics cards for the PCI Express market only. The PCI-E market actually remains the first choice for high end enthusiasts as it offers you the option to use more than one card in SLI. On the other hand, it grows every single day. Never let anyone tell you that this is your only choice with no other alternative.
    This comes as something of a surprise to us as we know that ATI will release an AGP version of R520 once it's ready. Bear in mind that ATI still has to release PCI-E version but once it has R520 PCI-E it won't be rocket science to bridge this chip to AGP with its Rialto bridge to Babylon chip.
    For the majority of you who still have AGP systems and like high end graphics, it transpires that you will have to change the platform from AGP to PCI-E in order to continue buying the latest greatest cards from Nvidia. We still know AGP will stay with us for a long time, especially when it comes to upgrade market as many of the upgrade market chaps still use PCI graphics and haven't gone for AGP, nevermind the latest greatest PCI-E. OEM manufacturers, on the other hand, have almost completely moved to PCI-E as this is your first choice when it comes to getting a new PC.
    Source: The Inquirer

Silverstrand, Jul 7, 2005
    1. Advertising

2. Silverstrand

PUTALE

yeah, although isn't nvidia also kinda seeing how market demand is. if there's a huge demand, it might bring some agp card.

PUTALE, Jul 8, 2005
    1. Advertising

3. Silverstrand

unholy

oh u would be suprised with the amount of AGP to PCI-E Change is high!.

unholy, Jul 8, 2005
  4. Silverstrand

PUTALE

mmh, well, still looking for funds to upgrade to pcie:).

PUTALE, Jul 8, 2005
  5. Silverstrand

stlava

I bet you anything if ATI will keep agp Nvidia will change their minds so fast. And I hope they do because I'm still running AGP.

stlava, Jul 8, 2005
  6. Silverstrand

jonorossi

I also still on AGP, I'd love to get SLi and two high end cards but money is always a problem. I am sure Nvidia will bring out some AGP cards because there is still millions of computers running AGP that will want to upgrade.

jonorossi, Jul 9, 2005
  7. Silverstrand

werty316

Not really surprising here as with whatever teh chipset maker do teh video cards makers must follow.

werty316, Jul 9, 2005
  8. Silverstrand

PUTALE

ATI has the rumor to come out with 520 agp version. Though I really do think nvidia has made a better view of the market and a better choice from a company's standpoint.

PUTALE, Jul 9, 2005
    1. Advertising