NVIDIA GPU LITIGATION

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by William Brown, Oct 1, 2010.

  1. William Brown, Oct 1, 2010

  2. William Brown

    David Empson Guest

    William Brown <> wrote:

    > Those Bad laptops that you don't know about
    >

    > http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/
    >

    > I know one HP user that was affected..

    My previous MacBook Pro (mid 2007 model) was affected: the NVIDIA
    GeoForce 8600M GT died when the computer was about 2 years and 11 months
    old (in April this year).

    Fixed by Apple for free, and very quickly.

    I note that the class action settlement only applies in the US. The rest
    of the world is out of luck unless the manufacturer of the computer has
    a repair extension programme to cover the fault, or it dies within
    warranty or extended warranty.

    Apple is covering this fault until four years after the computer was
    purchased.

    http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

    I haven't looked into what Dell and HP are doing.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Oct 2, 2010

  3. On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 12:34:56 +1300, (David Empson)
    wrote:

    >William Brown <> wrote:
    >
    >> Those Bad laptops that you don't know about
    >>

    >> http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/
    >>

    >> I know one HP user that was affected..

    >My previous MacBook Pro (mid 2007 model) was affected: the NVIDIA
    >GeoForce 8600M GT died when the computer was about 2 years and 11 months
    >old (in April this year).
    >
    >Fixed by Apple for free, and very quickly.
    >
    >I note that the class action settlement only applies in the US. The rest
    >of the world is out of luck unless the manufacturer of the computer has
    >a repair extension programme to cover the fault, or it dies within
    >warranty or extended warranty.

    No its world wide fault and is covered under the CGA..

    A known manufacturers fault, goes on for every, no shut off date.

    You do not need a extended warranty the CGS covers it.

    As you are not allowed to sell faulty products, but customers get conned
    all the time.

    I took a case to court with a Hitachi Stereo they charged me $160 but
    then I found out in a magazine that it was a known fault, got my money
    back.

    Many many service shops charge people for fixing factory faults, I no as
    I have worked for them.

    William Brown, Oct 2, 2010
  4. William Brown

    David Empson Guest

    William Brown <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 12:34:56 +1300, (David Empson)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >William Brown <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Those Bad laptops that you don't know about
    > >>

    > >> http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/
    > >>

    > >> I know one HP user that was affected..

    > >My previous MacBook Pro (mid 2007 model) was affected: the NVIDIA
    > >GeoForce 8600M GT died when the computer was about 2 years and 11 months
    > >old (in April this year).
    > >
    > >Fixed by Apple for free, and very quickly.
    > >
    > >I note that the class action settlement only applies in the US. The rest
    > >of the world is out of luck unless the manufacturer of the computer has
    > >a repair extension programme to cover the fault, or it dies within
    > >warranty or extended warranty.

    > No its world wide fault and is covered under the CGA..

    The class action settlement is for the US only. The fault is certainly
    world wide. The CGA only exists in New Zealand, or other countries with
    similar laws.

    The CGA only applies to consumer purchases, not business purchases, so a
    business user with a computer that has this fault in New Zealand is out
    of luck, unless they have an extended warranty, or the manufacturer has
    a repair extension programme for this fault (as Apple does, currently
    for four years from original purchase of the computer).

    Even a consumer may be out of luck if the fault occurs more than three
    years (say) after purchase, and there is no repair extension. Does the
    CGA or a test case define what is a reasonable lifetime for a laptop?

    The fault may not occur in every computer with this component, and you
    can't get it fixed or reimbursed unless your one fails (under Apple's
    repair extension, the NVIDIA class action settlement, or the CGA).

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Oct 3, 2010
  5. On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 12:36:04 +1300, (David Empson)
    wrote:

    >William Brown <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 12:34:56 +1300, (David Empson)
    >> wrote:

    >> >My previous MacBook Pro (mid 2007 model) was affected: the NVIDIA
    >> >GeoForce 8600M GT died when the computer was about 2 years and 11 months
    >> >old (in April this year).
    >> >
    >> >Fixed by Apple for free, and very quickly.
    >> >
    >> >I note that the class action settlement only applies in the US. The rest
    >> >of the world is out of luck unless the manufacturer of the computer has
    >> >a repair extension programme to cover the fault, or it dies within
    >> >warranty or extended warranty.

    >> No its world wide fault and is covered under the CGA..

    >The class action settlement is for the US only. The fault is certainly
    >world wide. The CGA only exists in New Zealand, or other countries with
    >similar laws.
    >
    >The CGA only applies to consumer purchases, not business purchases, so a
    >business user with a computer that has this fault in New Zealand is out
    >of luck, unless they have an extended warranty,

    Utter Crap he is covered by the Sale of goods act, why not get your
    facts correct before you post again and make a fool of your self.

    >or the manufacturer has
    >a repair extension programme for this fault (as Apple does, currently
    >for four years from original purchase of the computer).
    >
    >Even a consumer may be out of luck if the fault occurs more than three
    >years (say) after purchase, and there is no repair extension. Does the
    >CGA or a test case define what is a reasonable lifetime for a laptop?

    Has nothing to do with it you cant sell faulty goods, its a know fault,
    I had a Sony camera that was fixed after 5 years, know factory fault,
    but most would not know about this as it affected lots of other brands
    of cameras, I found in on a UK site with a letter from Sony.

    William Brown, Oct 3, 2010
  6. William Brown

    Mike West

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Hi, I have a Hp Pavilion that i will be looking to have re=placed

    I have a HP Pavilion dv6208nr that i would hope to have re-placed. The screen have been blown-out after owning it for alittle over 1 yr. i have had it in closet to get repaired for some time now. i Purchased another HP Pavilion dv7000 to replace it once i found out that the screen was blown out and from what i have been told by all who have taken a look at it, that the video card was the resone it blew. I will still only purchase Hp products and i love the NVidia brand Video card as an online gamer. I hope my claim is accepted and any others who have had same problems are also. i know 2-3 others who have had the same problem with the card same as i did.. i will re-post once i hear anything and hope others will also.

    -Mike

    Mike West, Dec 20, 2010