NVIDIA GeForce 6150 + nForce 430

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by David, Apr 25, 2006.

  1. David

    David Guest

    Anyone have one of these mobos?

    I am looking to upgrade my CPU (currently Athlon 1400). That means I also
    need a new mobo.

    Current graphics card is an FX5200 Ultra, which is adequate for my use (CPU
    intensive console apps, Office apps, Photoshop, GIS, a bit of audio & video
    etc, but no games). Monitor running at 1600 x 1200 x 85Hz.

    I had hoped not to upgrade the graphics card, but it is AGP & good AGP
    mobos are very scarce. Supplier has recommended I should go to PCI-e, and
    suggested using an NVIDIA GeForce 6150 + nForce 430 PCI-e board to avoid
    replacing my video card. Specs look attractive (low power, features +++),
    but I am concerned:

    1. whether the on-board (GF6150) graphics are adequate - or at least, no
    worse than my current 5200U. eg. can comfortably drive the monitor at 1600
    x 1200 x 85Hz.

    2. whether the nForce 430 chipset is really a suitable match for an Athlon
    64 x2 4200 or 4600 CPU. How does this chipset differ from the nF4 Ultra?

    Or is there an Intel option that would provide a better solution?

    The "CPU intensive console" apps are probably the most important issue.
    Occaisionally these can lock the existing PC up for 6 hours (more commonly
    c. 20-30 mins), so dual core is essential. GIS program can also stress the
    current system, as can some large Access db's (c. 1GB) & large
    spreadsheets, etc. (current sysstem has 1GB of ram)

    I am looking at the u/g as an interim solution to see me over the next 12 -
    18 mths. Will an NVIDIA GeForce 6150 + nForce 430 mobo likely be adequate?

    David

    David, Apr 25, 2006

  2. David

    David Guest

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 12:18:24 +1200, David wrote:

    > The "CPU intensive console" apps are probably the most important issue.
    > Occaisionally these can lock the existing PC up for 6 hours (more commonly
    > c. 20-30 mins), so dual core is essential. GIS program can also stress the
    > current system, as can some large Access db's (c. 1GB) & large
    > spreadsheets, etc. (current sysstem has 1GB of ram)
    >
    > I am looking at the u/g as an interim solution to see me over the next 12 -
    > 18 mths. Will an NVIDIA GeForce 6150 + nForce 430 mobo likely be adequate?
    >
    > David

    I forgot to mention:

    I did locate several reviews / tests on the mobo & the GeForce 6150. Most
    focus on 3D gaming performance which is clearly not what the GeForce 6150
    is about. By comparing data from several tests, the 6150 does appear to
    perform slightly below the 5200U in terms of 3D performance; eg Doom3 frame
    rate of 6600GT is about 9 times the 6150, vs 6 - 7 times the 5200U rate.
    That per se is not important to me - only if it also impacts GIS or
    Photoshop performance. I heard that Photoshop CS3 will make use of the GPU
    - possibly an issue?

    The mobo's do have a PCIe-16 slot, so if it does not work out, a video card
    can be added (just a cost issue).

    David

    (BTW - Vista is not an issue - will not be going on this machine).

    David, Apr 25, 2006

  3. I doubt you will notice a decrease in performance, given the huge increase
    in CPU speed.

    I've got 2 nforce4 SLi based motherboards here, one with a A64 3200+ and one
    with an overclocked X2 3800+. We were using another system today based on a
    6150+430 and an A643200+ motherboard and it seems every bit as quick as the
    other 3200+ system.

    There is an Asus model that has dual monitor, DVI, firewire, gigabit LAN, 1
    16x PCI-E and 1 2x PCI-E and 4 SATA ports.

    I think you would be missing out on NCQ and that's about it.

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Apr 25, 2006
  4. David

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Stephen Williams wrote:
    > I doubt you will notice a decrease in performance, given the huge increase
    > in CPU speed.
    >
    > I've got 2 nforce4 SLi based motherboards here, one with a A64 3200+ and one
    > with an overclocked X2 3800+. We were using another system today based on a
    > 6150+430 and an A643200+ motherboard and it seems every bit as quick as the
    > other 3200+ system.
    >
    > There is an Asus model that has dual monitor, DVI, firewire, gigabit LAN, 1
    > 16x PCI-E and 1 2x PCI-E and 4 SATA ports.
    >
    > I think you would be missing out on NCQ and that's about it.

    I think you are talking about the Asus A8N-VM CSM boards, which in
    general are excellent. They include SATA2 support, and the integrated
    graphics performance is fine unless you are a hardcore gamer. It has 2
    PCI, 1 1xPCIe and 1 16xPCIe slots, and HDA audio.

    I'm using them as the basis of the myPVR product i'm producing at
    http://www.openmedia.co.nz.

    One thing to note is are you running Windows or Linux. There are a
    couple of tweaks you need to do for Linux due to bios bugs Asus still
    haven't fixed.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Apr 26, 2006
  5. David