    Gart driver, IDE driver, nForce pci system management driver. Which
    one "if any ?" is the one i need to uninstall ? I`m using XP home
    SP2, AMD pc. Thanks in advance. Des
    itsdesp, Dec 28, 2007

  2. itsdesp

    Mike Easter Guest

    itsdesp wrote:
    > Hi everyone, i want to update my display adapter driver, which i`ve
    > located on the nvidia website. Before i install it i need to uninstall
    > the old one first. The only nvidia drivers i can find on my pc, via
    > the start menu - control panel - add or remove programs is one which
    > opens up to reveal the following drivers: ethernet driver components,
    > Gart driver, IDE driver, nForce pci system management driver. Which
    > one "if any ?" is the one i need to uninstall ? I`m using XP home
    > SP2, AMD pc.

    Nvidia is a good source of drivers

    A better approach than what you've described is via Start/ Settings/ CP
    Control Panel/ System/ Hardware tab/ Device Manager
    button/ expand Display adapters and select your adapter - R click
    context menu Properties or Update manager and go from there

    This is about updating or replacing drivers, not add/remove programs.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 28, 2007

  3. itsdesp

    ded Guest

    "itsdesp" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone, i want to update my display adapter driver, which i`ve
    > located on the nvidia website. Before i install it i need to uninstall
    > the old one first. The only nvidia drivers i can find on my pc, via
    > the start menu - control panel - add or remove programs is one which
    > opens up to reveal the following drivers: ethernet driver components,
    > Gart driver, IDE driver, nForce pci system management driver. Which
    > one "if any ?" is the one i need to uninstall ? I`m using XP home
    > SP2, AMD pc. Thanks in advance. Des

    You uninstall/install via device manager

    Device Manager in XP:
    double-click on the System icon in Control Panel,
    choose the Hardware tab,
    and then click Device Manager.
    A tree will list devices, scroll and locate "Display Adapters"
    open the sub-heading
    Listed will be your NVIDIA graphics card
    RIGHT click on it and select "Properties"
    In the ensuing dialog click the "Driver" tab
    Listed will be several options.
    One option will be "Update Driver", but if you are
    100% certain that the Nvidia download site instructed
    that drivers must be uninstalled before updating, then
    click the "Uninstall" button
    You will receive warnings, click to ignore.
    Once uninstalled - Reboot.
    All graphics cards are configured to be able to display
    without drivers, but it will be of low resolution when
    you Reboot (a bit like safe-mode)
    Then access Device Manager as detailed above
    Again navigate to Driver tab and click to "Update Driver"
    just direct the ensuing wizard to the folder where you
    saved the downloaded drivers.

    Important note:
    Only uninstall existing drivers if the Nvidia site instructs
    you to do so, if not choose to Update without uninstalling.
    Create a restore point before attempting the uninstall/update.
    ded, Dec 28, 2007
  4. itsdesp

    old man Guest

    NVidea display drivers are usually listed in Add/Remove Programs dialogue,
    at least they have been in win2k & Winxp & various versions of Nvidea
    drivers that I have used. That is also the Nvidea recommended method of
    uninstalling them
    Its possible they wont be listed if winupdate has been used for drivers.

    old man, Dec 28, 2007