Nvidia driver version 169.21 released for vista 64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Kue2, Dec 11, 2007.

  1. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    Kue2, Dec 11, 2007

  2. Kue2

    BChat Guest

    Kue2 - I just updated to the latest drivers - 32 bit - as I always do. Seems
    to have messed with the font appearance, looks grainy/gritty like XP. Did
    you notice any difference in the 64 bit version?
    BChat

    "Kue2" <> wrote in message
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_169.21.html

    ForceWare Release 169 WHQL Candidate
    Version: 169.21
    Release Date: December 11, 2007
    Operating System: Windows Vista 64-bit
    Language: U.S. English
    File Size: 48.7 MB

    BChat, Dec 11, 2007

  3. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    No
    Appearance seems fine here,remember this version is a beta version.
    My desktop is very clear & sharp.

    Kue2, Dec 11, 2007
  4. Kue2

    Carlos Guest

    BChat,
    That indicates that font smoothing (a.k.a. "Cleartype) is disabled (is Aero
    enabled after the update?).
    I am not at my Vista machine right now so I can't tell you how to re-enable
    Cleartype.
    Also check the experience index.
    You always have to run it again after updating video drivers.
    One last question, did you do your homework and uninstalled the previous
    drivers before installing the newer ones?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 11, 2007
  5. Kue2

    BChat Guest

    Carlos,

    The new version seems to only have 6 resolution settings, as opposed to 13
    in the last version.
    The 1152x864 setting I was using is not available now. This is giving me a
    look I am not used to.
    I re-set all the Aero/Cleartype settings

    "To turn on ClearType
    Open Appearance Settings.

    Click Effects.

    In the Effects dialog box, select Use the following method to smooth edges
    of screen fonts.

    Select ClearType in the list, and then click OK.

    Note
    Whether you select Standard or ClearType from the list, you must have a
    video card and monitor that support a color setting of at least 256 colors.
    You'll get the best results with High color (24-bit) or Highest color
    (32-bit) support. You can change color quality in Display Settings in
    Control Panel"

    I think I revert to the last set of drivers - seems better for me.
    I used to uninstall the old drivers first, the install new ones - as
    instructed.
    I think I read somewhere this was no longer necessary and lately I have been
    installing the new drivers in the same folder as the old - overwriting all
    the old files
    with the new ones - it has been working OK. New version shows up in Hardware
    Device Manager.
    I tried both ways with this driver set - same results.
    This is the 1st set of Betas I will not be keeping in the last year and a
    half.
    Maybe it's just me and my machine ;-)

    Thanks to you and Kue2 for the replies.
    BChat

    BChat, Dec 11, 2007
  6. Kue2

    Carlos Guest

    BChat,
    Is your monitor showing up properly in Device Manager?
    That might explain the difference in resolution settings.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 11, 2007
  7. Kue2

    BChat Guest

    Carlos,
    Yes it is - Samsung SyncMaster 213T
    This is the 1st time I have had any issue w/driver updates.
    I rolled back to last version - all OK
    BChat

    BChat, Dec 11, 2007