    a replacement -- or should I be looking at a different chipset?

    ***

    cheers, and TIA -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Dec 13, 2003

  2. Peter Huebner

    Steve Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote

    > background:
    > I have perfoced bought a new MoBo - a Gigabyte 7n400 pro2 - and this
    > board will not only give great trouble installing Win98, it also won't
    > run the (Ihug Ultra) Skymedia 200d card under Win98 at all. Just won't
    > do it. Drivers installed, Ihug software installed, lock fine, no data.
    > I am also having other troubles with this board and am returning it.
    >

    > ***
    > Now I wonder: is anybody successfully using a Teleman card on an Nvidia
    > MoBo under Win 98 -- I am thinking of acquiring an Abit NF7-S v.2 as
    > a replacement -- or should I be looking at a different chipset?
    >
    > ***

    I think you should look at a different OS - basically, anything later than Win98.

    Steve.

    Steve, Dec 13, 2003

  3. In article <3fdb8c47$>, says...

    > I think you should look at a different OS - basically, anything later than Win98.
    >
    > Steve.

    I hear what you are saying. 'S what I am doing at the moment, but I am
    still having problems with network shares dropping off, (under XP Pro),
    the machine can hang interminably when I try to access a share that has
    disappeared up its own a*&^hole ... I've shutdown problems at times.

    I am sick, sick, sick of it, and I am now pretty convinced that there is
    some kind of hardware compatibility issue here after what Richard posted
    in the $1500 computer thread.

    Unless of course I just happen to have a bad mobo. But I am looking at
    all possibilities and options, and I do NOT want to spend several more
    weeks reinstalling OS's and shagging around with different NICs etc.

    As for OSs:
    I take issue with the way XP runs some system software - for instance if
    I login as Luser first, and as Admin later, I've no access to the
    firewall console as Admin (and I need it to configure access to other
    machines on the lan at times), and Mercury starts delivering mail in
    weird ways ... <sigh> ...

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Dec 14, 2003
  4. Peter Huebner

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 13:30:38 +1300, Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    >In article <3fdb8c47$>, says...
    >>
    >> I think you should look at a different OS - basically, anything later than Win98.
    >>
    >> Steve.

    >I hear what you are saying. 'S what I am doing at the moment, but I am
    >still having problems with network shares dropping off, (under XP Pro),
    >the machine can hang interminably when I try to access a share that has
    >disappeared up its own a*&^hole ... I've shutdown problems at times.
    >
    >I am sick, sick, sick of it, and I am now pretty convinced that there is
    >some kind of hardware compatibility issue here after what Richard posted
    >in the $1500 computer thread.
    >
    >Unless of course I just happen to have a bad mobo. But I am looking at
    >all possibilities and options, and I do NOT want to spend several more
    >weeks reinstalling OS's and shagging around with different NICs etc.
    >
    >As for OSs:
    >I take issue with the way XP runs some system software - for instance if
    >I login as Luser first, and as Admin later, I've no access to the
    >firewall console as Admin (and I need it to configure access to other
    >machines on the lan at times), and Mercury starts delivering mail in
    >weird ways ... <sigh> ...
    >
    >-Peter

    And do you have the Latest Bios and Nforce drivers installed..?

    Dumdedo, Dec 14, 2003
  5. Peter Huebner

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 13:30:38 +1300, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <3fdb8c47$>, says...
    > >>
    > >> I think you should look at a different OS - basically, anything later than Win98.
    > >>
    > >> Steve.

    > >I hear what you are saying. 'S what I am doing at the moment, but I am
    > >still having problems with network shares dropping off, (under XP Pro),
    > >the machine can hang interminably when I try to access a share that has
    > >disappeared up its own a*&^hole ... I've shutdown problems at times.
    > >
    > >I am sick, sick, sick of it, and I am now pretty convinced that there is
    > >some kind of hardware compatibility issue here after what Richard posted
    > >in the $1500 computer thread.
    > >
    > >Unless of course I just happen to have a bad mobo. But I am looking at
    > >all possibilities and options, and I do NOT want to spend several more
    > >weeks reinstalling OS's and shagging around with different NICs etc.
    > >
    > >As for OSs:
    > >I take issue with the way XP runs some system software - for instance if
    > >I login as Luser first, and as Admin later, I've no access to the
    > >firewall console as Admin (and I need it to configure access to other
    > >machines on the lan at times), and Mercury starts delivering mail in
    > >weird ways ... <sigh> ...
    > >
    > >-Peter

    > And do you have the Latest Bios and Nforce drivers installed..?

    No he has the latest antiWoger software installed

    Mainlander, Dec 14, 2003
  6. Peter Huebner

    cowboyz Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > background:
    > I have perfoced bought a new MoBo - a Gigabyte 7n400 pro2 - and this
    > board will not only give great trouble installing Win98, it also won't
    > run the (Ihug Ultra) Skymedia 200d card under Win98 at all. Just won't
    > do it. Drivers installed, Ihug software installed, lock fine, no data.
    > I am also having other troubles with this board and am returning it.
    >

    > ***
    > Now I wonder: is anybody successfully using a Teleman card on an
    > Nvidia MoBo under Win 98 -- I am thinking of acquiring an Abit NF7-S
    > v.2 as
    > a replacement -- or should I be looking at a different chipset?
    >
    > ***
    >
    > cheers, and TIA -Peter

    I had issues with the skymedia program not detecting the IP address when
    connected to the net so it wouldn't get any data. After you connect check
    what IP address it is using. You can change it on the fly and it will work
    (if it is the same problem I had)

    cowboyz, Dec 14, 2003
  7. Peter Huebner

    Invisible Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:28:48 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >>

    >> And do you have the Latest Bios and Nforce drivers installed..?

    >No he has the latest antiWoger software installed

    Got a link for that? Willing to pay ;-)

    Invisible, Dec 14, 2003
  8. Peter Huebner

    Steve Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Now I wonder: is anybody successfully using a Teleman card on an Nvidia
    > MoBo under Win 98 -- I am thinking of acquiring an Abit NF7-S v.2 as
    > a replacement -- or should I be looking at a different chipset?

    I have successfully installed Win98SE on an Abit N7S mobo......

    I have also installed several flavours of Linux on the N7S....and
    provided you have already downloaded the nForce2 Linux drivers and
    copied them to floppy or burnt them to a CD, then the install is
    easy-peasy.

    Gentoo 1.4 sees the nForce 2 chipset without any intervention at all and
    the nv-net network driver has you on the net in seconds (if you're on a
    LAN behind a cable modem like me).

    Steve, Dec 14, 2003