    Or - better still, anyone know of a US supplier that'll ship to NZ without
    charging $70 USD for shipping?

    Thanks in advance.

    Vincent Vega, Nov 9, 2005

  2. Vincent Vega

    XP Guest

    On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 00:18:43 +1300, "Vincent Vega" <> wrote:

    >Just when I had my PC upgrade researched and ready to order along comes the
    >Nvidia 6800 GS cards which look to be the best bang-for-buck so far in the
    >mid-level price range.
    >A search on Pricespy has failed to turn up any suppliers for these cards.
    >Any idea when these will be out on the NZ market (hopefully before
    >Christmas) and what price range they'll be?
    >
    >Or - better still, anyone know of a US supplier that'll ship to NZ without
    >charging $70 USD for shipping?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    Yes in about 6 months or more..

    XP, Nov 9, 2005

  3. Vincent Vega

    thingy Guest

    Vincent Vega wrote:
    > Just when I had my PC upgrade researched and ready to order along comes the
    > Nvidia 6800 GS cards which look to be the best bang-for-buck so far in the
    > mid-level price range.
    > A search on Pricespy has failed to turn up any suppliers for these cards.
    > Any idea when these will be out on the NZ market (hopefully before
    > Christmas) and what price range they'll be?
    >
    > Or - better still, anyone know of a US supplier that'll ship to NZ without
    > charging $70 USD for shipping?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Seems the shipping is a common ripoff from the US these days. I gave up
    on ebay after the shipping just got silly, yet books from Amazon got
    cheaper!

    You might try and get one from OZ.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Nov 9, 2005
  4. Vincent Vega

    Daniel Guest

    Vincent Vega wrote:
    > Just when I had my PC upgrade researched and ready to order along comes the
    > Nvidia 6800 GS cards which look to be the best bang-for-buck so far in the
    > mid-level price range.
    > A search on Pricespy has failed to turn up any suppliers for these cards.
    > Any idea when these will be out on the NZ market (hopefully before
    > Christmas) and what price range they'll be?
    >
    > Or - better still, anyone know of a US supplier that'll ship to NZ without
    > charging $70 USD for shipping?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Not bad, especially with the 425MHz core.

    If you're content with stock configurations, the 6800GS is a nice piece
    of hardware.

    Although, I think Sapphire's X800GTO (which uses a genuine R480 core),
    has 1.6ns memory, and with a lower price than the 6800GS would be worth
    looking at.
    Apparently, no one has had any problems unlocking the additional 4
    pipes, making for a very easy and cheap mod without even needing to
    touch the GPU or memory speed.

    Daniel, Nov 9, 2005
  5. Vincent Vega

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel wrote:

    > Although, I think Sapphire's X800GTO (which uses a genuine R480 core),
    > has 1.6ns memory, and with a lower price than the 6800GS would be worth
    > looking at.
    > Apparently, no one has had any problems unlocking the additional 4
    > pipes, making for a very easy and cheap mod without even needing to
    > touch the GPU or memory speed.

    I've just read that there are 2 variations on the Sapphire X800GTO's.
    The GTO and GTO^2. The GTO doesn't unlock the extra pipes, but, the
    GTO^2 does. I think the GTO^2 is also called the FireBlade Deluxe
    Edition - this is the one that definitely unlocks to 16 pipes.

    Connect3D also do an X800GTO, that does allow the additional 16 pipes to
    be unlocked, however, the core is an R430, and I think the memory is
    only 2ns.

    I read an interesting post about the GTO's that basically said that ATI
    were overstocked with X800XL and X850 (i.e R430/R480), and so were
    "dumping" them in the X800GT and X800GTO series. Although, the X800GT's
    are hard-locked to 8 pipes. So, people are expecting the GT/GTO cards to
    be short lived, once the the surplus stock runs out I guess.

    Daniel, Nov 9, 2005