nVidia 6600GT......Interesting....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Mar 19, 2005.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    Received the new video card today.....and just installed it.

    Xandros Linux 3.0 detected the video card change and automatically set
    my system up to use the new video card - with the correct drivers.

    Plus it told me to plug in the power to the video card and try again.

    Eh?????

    The manual made NO mention of a power connector on the video card.

    But.....sho-nuff.....when I eyeballed the card, there was a four-ping
    connector there.....which I had assumed was for some sort of add-on.

    Um....no.

    If you don't plug a mobo power connector (same as used for a hard drive
    or CD drive) then the card simply won't work.

    May be old news to some folks......but I'd never seen a video card
    before that required its own power connector.

    It's going great now.....
    steve, Mar 19, 2005

  2. steve

    steve Guest

    steve wrote:

    > The manual made NO mention of a power connector on the video card.

    Not in the hardware install section, anyway.....
    steve, Mar 19, 2005

  3. steve

    Steve Guest

    steve wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> The manual made NO mention of a power connector on the video card.

    > Not in the hardware install section, anyway.....

    Thirsty beasts, these nVidias...
    Steve, Mar 19, 2005
  4. steve

    ofn01 Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> The manual made NO mention of a power connector on the video card.

    >> Not in the hardware install section, anyway.....

    > Thirsty beasts, these nVidias...

    I believe the minimum power requirement for a 6800GT or Ultra is a 480W
    PSU (not sure what the min amps on the 12v rail are as not all 480watts
    are created equal! It also has two power connectors on the back.

    I think the fastest non-PCIe graphics card you can get today that does
    not need an external power connector is the 9600XT
    ofn01, Mar 19, 2005
  5. steve

    steve Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> The manual made NO mention of a power connector on the video card.

    >> Not in the hardware install section, anyway.....

    > Thirsty beasts, these nVidias...

    Good on ya, mate....
    steve, Mar 19, 2005
  6. Steve wrote:
    >>> The manual made NO mention of a power connector on the video card.

    >> Not in the hardware install section, anyway.....

    > Thirsty beasts, these nVidias...

    not just the nvidia cards, the high end ATi cards needed it too at one
    point... I think it is just the AGP ones as AGP cannot supply over 70W
    or something, and these cards just tip the scale.

    Had they made them as AGP-pro cards, thay'd have been fine.
    AGP-pro probably should have been the original standard.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 19, 2005
  7. steve

    BILL Guest

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:34:05 +1300, steve <>
    wrote:

    >Received the new video card today.....and just installed it.
    >
    >Xandros Linux 3.0 detected the video card change and automatically set
    >my system up to use the new video card - with the correct drivers.
    >
    >Plus it told me to plug in the power to the video card and try again.
    >
    >Eh?????
    >
    >The manual made NO mention of a power connector on the video card.
    >
    >But.....sho-nuff.....when I eyeballed the card, there was a four-ping
    >connector there.....which I had assumed was for some sort of add-on.
    >
    >Um....no.
    >
    >If you don't plug a mobo power connector (same as used for a hard drive
    >or CD drive) then the card simply won't work.
    >
    >May be old news to some folks......but I'd never seen a video card
    >before that required its own power connector.
    >
    >It's going great now.....

    Plus you can't get the new HDTV features with that Card unless you use the PC
    71.84 New Driver and the Nvidia Codec..

    That is the problem with playing a stupid OS..

    Not a very good move me thinks..
    BILL, Mar 19, 2005
  8. steve

    David Preece Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Xandros Linux 3.0 detected the video card change and automatically set
    > my system up to use the new video card - with the correct drivers.

    Wow. Linux *is* improving.

    > Plus it told me to plug in the power to the video card and try again.

    OMG. I take it this is nVidia's official driver?

    Dave
    David Preece, Mar 19, 2005
  9. steve

    BILL Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:25:27 +1200, David Preece <>
    wrote:

    >steve wrote:
    >> Xandros Linux 3.0 detected the video card change and automatically set
    >> my system up to use the new video card - with the correct drivers.

    >Wow. Linux *is* improving.
    >
    >> Plus it told me to plug in the power to the video card and try again.

    >OMG. I take it this is nVidia's official driver?
    >
    >Dave

    no a limited driver, no one makes real drivers for lunix crap, they take it
    for the crap it is..
    BILL, Mar 19, 2005
  10. steve

    Axle Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:40:18 +1200, BILL wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:25:27 +1200, David Preece <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>steve wrote:
    >>> Xandros Linux 3.0 detected the video card change and automatically set
    >>> my system up to use the new video card - with the correct drivers.

    >>Wow. Linux *is* improving.
    >>
    >>> Plus it told me to plug in the power to the video card and try again.

    >>OMG. I take it this is nVidia's official driver?
    >>
    >>Dave

    > no a limited driver, no one makes real drivers for lunix crap, they take it
    > for the crap it is..

    Nvidia make linux drivers for their cards.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html
    So do ATI
    http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/linux.html

    You're spouting crap again Roger.

    Do you think you are funny ?
    Axle, Mar 19, 2005
  11. steve

    BILL Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:51:54 +1200, Axle <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:40:18 +1200, BILL wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:25:27 +1200, David Preece <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Wow. Linux *is* improving.

    >>>OMG. I take it this is nVidia's official driver?
    >>>
    >>>Dave

    >> no a limited driver, no one makes real drivers for lunix crap, they take it
    >> for the crap it is..

    >Nvidia make linux drivers for their cards.
    >http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html
    >So do ATI
    >http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/linux.html
    >
    >You're spouting crap again Roger.
    >
    >Do you think you are funny ?

    No just quoting a article that I read the other day, and that the Nvidia one
    as not 100%..

    They do not support HDTV for one thing plus you need the Nvidia Codex..

    No it seems that the Lunix croud is being had..
    BILL, Mar 19, 2005
  12. steve

    Axle Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:25:33 +1200, BILL wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:51:54 +1200, Axle <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:40:18 +1200, BILL wrote:

    >>> no a limited driver, no one makes real drivers for lunix crap, they take it
    >>> for the crap it is..

    >>Nvidia make linux drivers for their cards.
    >>http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html
    >>So do ATI
    >>http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/linux.html
    >>
    >>You're spouting crap again Roger.
    >>
    >>Do you think you are funny ?
    >>

    > No just quoting a article that I read the other day, and that the Nvidia one
    > as not 100%..

    You'll quote anything Roger
    It can be written by someone as ill informed as yourself and you will
    still quote it.
    Axle, Mar 19, 2005
  13. steve

    BILL Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:31:32 +1200, Axle <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:25:33 +1200, BILL wrote:

    >>>Nvidia make linux drivers for their cards.
    >>>http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html
    >>>So do ATI
    >>>http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/linux.html
    >>>
    >>>You're spouting crap again Roger.
    >>>
    >>>Do you think you are funny ?
    >>>

    >> No just quoting a article that I read the other day, and that the Nvidia one
    >> as not 100%..

    >You'll quote anything Roger
    >It can be written by someone as ill informed as yourself and you will
    >still quote it.

    No Dumbo I was Quoting FACTS, some thing that does not compute to well with
    your very limited Brain..
    BILL, Mar 19, 2005
  14. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    BILL wrote:

    > No just quoting a article that I read the other day, and that the
    > Nvidia one as not 100%..
    >
    > They do not support HDTV for one thing plus you need the Nvidia
    > Codex..
    >
    > No it seems that the Lunix croud is being had..

    Plonk nymshifter audience-seeking bullshit artist.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Mar 20, 2005
  15. steve

    Axle Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:52:06 +1200, BILL wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:31:32 +1200, Axle <> wrote:

    >>> No just quoting a article that I read the other day, and that the Nvidia one
    >>> as not 100%..

    >>You'll quote anything Roger
    >>It can be written by someone as ill informed as yourself and you will
    >>still quote it.

    > No Dumbo I was Quoting FACTS, some thing that does not compute to well with
    > your very limited Brain..

    Nah, just the usual old pile of cobblers for no reason other than to have
    an attempted sneer at linux.
    You just let yourself down.
    Get a life
    <plonk>
    Axle, Mar 20, 2005
  16. steve

    steve Guest

    BILL wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:34:05 +1300, steve <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Received the new video card today.....and just installed it.
    >>
    >>Xandros Linux 3.0 detected the video card change and automatically set
    >>my system up to use the new video card - with the correct drivers.
    >>
    >>Plus it told me to plug in the power to the video card and try again.
    >>
    >>Eh?????
    >>
    >>The manual made NO mention of a power connector on the video card.
    >>
    >>But.....sho-nuff.....when I eyeballed the card, there was a four-ping
    >>connector there.....which I had assumed was for some sort of add-on.
    >>
    >>Um....no.
    >>
    >>If you don't plug a mobo power connector (same as used for a hard drive
    >>or CD drive) then the card simply won't work.
    >>
    >>May be old news to some folks......but I'd never seen a video card
    >>before that required its own power connector.
    >>
    >>It's going great now.....

    > Plus you can't get the new HDTV features with that Card unless you use the PC
    > 71.84 New Driver and the Nvidia Codec..

    Where in the Manawatu am I ever likely to see HDTV?

    I don't even WATCH TV......(except for CSI and the odd news or doco
    program I download).

    > That is the problem with playing a stupid OS..

    It's made UT2004 run like a dream....and Doom3 is now smooth as silk
    with more detail and a higher resolution.

    > Not a very good move me thinks..

    So far you're wrong......if that is of any interest to you.
    steve, Mar 20, 2005
  17. steve

    steve Guest

    David Preece wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> Xandros Linux 3.0 detected the video card change and automatically set
    >> my system up to use the new video card - with the correct drivers.

    > Wow. Linux *is* improving.
    >
    >> Plus it told me to plug in the power to the video card and try again.

    > OMG. I take it this is nVidia's official driver?

    Yes...the official driver (as packaged by Xandros).

    I may have glossed over it too much, The way it went was:

    1 - system boots up - detects hardware.

    2 - X fails to start and I'm dropped to a command prompt.

    3 - I login at command prompt and type "startx" to get any error messages

    4 - message appears telling me I need to plug the power connector in and
    try again.

    5. shutdown, connect power, reboot....and all is perfect and wonderful.
    steve, Mar 20, 2005
  18. steve

    steve Guest

    BILL wrote:

    >>OMG. I take it this is nVidia's official driver?
    >>
    >>Dave

    > no a limited driver, no one makes real drivers for lunix crap, they take it
    > for the crap it is..

    Woger....You're wrong in this case.

    nVidia's drivers for Linux are full-function and often faster than the
    Windows ones.....if performance in various games is anything to go by.
    steve, Mar 20, 2005
  19. steve

    BILL Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:40:01 +1200, steve <>
    wrote:

    >BILL wrote:
    >> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:34:05 +1300, steve <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Received the new video card today.....and just installed it.
    >>>
    >>>Xandros Linux 3.0 detected the video card change and automatically set
    >>>my system up to use the new video card - with the correct drivers.
    >>>
    >>>Plus it told me to plug in the power to the video card and try again.
    >>>
    >>>Eh?????
    >>>
    >>>The manual made NO mention of a power connector on the video card.
    >>>
    >>>But.....sho-nuff.....when I eyeballed the card, there was a four-ping
    >>>connector there.....which I had assumed was for some sort of add-on.
    >>>
    >>>Um....no.
    >>>
    >>>If you don't plug a mobo power connector (same as used for a hard drive
    >>>or CD drive) then the card simply won't work.
    >>>
    >>>May be old news to some folks......but I'd never seen a video card
    >>>before that required its own power connector.
    >>>
    >>>It's going great now.....

    >> Plus you can't get the new HDTV features with that Card unless you use the PC
    >> 71.84 New Driver and the Nvidia Codec..

    >Where in the Manawatu am I ever likely to see HDTV?
    >
    >I don't even WATCH TV......(except for CSI and the odd news or doco
    >program I download).
    >
    >> That is the problem with playing a stupid OS..

    >It's made UT2004 run like a dream....and Doom3 is now smooth as silk
    >with more detail and a higher resolution.
    >
    >> Not a very good move me thinks..

    >So far you're wrong......if that is of any interest to you.

    No I am never wrong, go read the Facts on the Nvidia Web site..
    BILL, Mar 20, 2005
  20. steve

    BILL Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:44:30 +1200, steve <>
    wrote:

    >BILL wrote:
    >
    >>>OMG. I take it this is nVidia's official driver?
    >>>
    >>>Dave

    >> no a limited driver, no one makes real drivers for lunix crap, they take it
    >> for the crap it is..

    >Woger....You're wrong in this case.
    >
    >nVidia's drivers for Linux are full-function and often faster than the
    >Windows ones.....if performance in various games is anything to go by.

    Not from I have been reading the Nvidia one as just Basic and not really
    supported, but the article did state they were the best out of the bad bunch
    BILL, Mar 20, 2005