NVidia 178.13's are out

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Carlos, Sep 25, 2008.

  1. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Carlos, Sep 25, 2008

  2. Carlos

    Don Guest

    "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > A new set of NVidia drivers is available for GeForce 6-series, 7-series,
    > 8-series, 9-series, and 200-series GPUs, with PhysX support
    > Vista x64
    > http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_178.13_whql.html
    > Carlos

    Thanks for the heads up Carlos!

    Not sure I quite understand, this PhysX support thing, but I guess that
    doesn't really matter.

    --
    Don
    Don, Sep 25, 2008

  3. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    A while back, a company named Ageia introduced an add-in (additional) card
    for processing the physics parts of the games, thus freeing the videocard GPU
    from that task and allowing for more realistics effects.
    Later on (guess what!), Nvidia bought (swallowed) Ageia and added that
    know-how in their drivers by using spare capacity of their GPU's.
    That's "PhysX" more or less: If you have a qualifying NVidia card you get
    PhysX as a bonus.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Sep 25, 2008
  4. Carlos

    Don Guest

    Interesting,

    So I have an 8800 GTS, does the program, have to be written to take
    advantage of this aspect? Or does it benefit most all d3d programs/games?

    Thanks for the info!

    --
    Don

    Don, Sep 26, 2008
  5. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Don,
    The program has to be written to take advantage of those features.
    Your 8800GTS qualifies for PhysX.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Sep 26, 2008
  6. Carlos

    Don Guest

    Thanks Carlos, now I have a better understanding.

    --
    Don

    Don, Sep 26, 2008
  7. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Don,
    You will find PhysX patches for some popular games and free demos here:
    http://www.nvidia.com/content/forcewithin/us/download.asp
    Carlos

    Carlos, Sep 26, 2008