    enter. Now all my pictures are numbered with the name ABC with numbers from
    1 to 100. The problem is the last one with the latest date is number 1 then
    all the rest fall into place. What can I do about this?

    Richard, May 16, 2009

  2. Richard

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 16 May 2009 12:17:25 -0700, Richard wrote:

    > I have pictures that I'm renaming. I put them in order according to date
    > and then name them then I put numbers on them. I highlight all the
    > pictures and I right mouse click the top picture and give it a name like
    > ABC (1) and enter. Now all my pictures are numbered with the name ABC
    > with numbers from 1 to 100. The problem is the last one with the latest
    > date is number 1 then all the rest fall into place. What can I do about
    > this?

    Format your hard drive and that will auto-number them.

    Ahhhhhhhh!: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/relieve.jpg

    Dan C, May 16, 2009

  3. Richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    wrote:

    >I have pictures that I'm renaming. I put them in order according to date and
    >then name them then I put numbers on them. I highlight all the pictures and
    >I right mouse click the top picture and give it a name like ABC (1) and
    >enter. Now all my pictures are numbered with the name ABC with numbers from
    >1 to 100. The problem is the last one with the latest date is number 1 then
    >all the rest fall into place. What can I do about this?

    Rename them manually. Obviously the operating system you are using,
    which I can only guess is where you're trying to rename them in,
    thinks you want to do something differently.

    Evan Platt, May 16, 2009
  4. Richard

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-05-16, Richard <> wrote:
    > I have pictures that I'm renaming. I put them in order according to date and
    > then name them then I put numbers on them. I highlight all the pictures and
    > I right mouse click the top picture and give it a name like ABC (1) and
    > enter. Now all my pictures are numbered with the name ABC with numbers from
    > 1 to 100. The problem is the last one with the latest date is number 1 then
    > all the rest fall into place. What can I do about this?

    1) press harder
    2) use better carbon-paper
    3) draw on thinner paper next time - or number the pictures as you go.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, May 16, 2009
  5. Richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > I have pictures that I'm renaming. I put them in order according to
    > date and then name them then I put numbers on them. I highlight all the
    > pictures and I right mouse click the top picture and give it a name
    > like ABC (1) and enter. Now all my pictures are numbered with the name
    > ABC with numbers from 1 to 100. The problem is the last one with the
    > latest date is number 1 then all the rest fall into place. What can I
    > do about this?

    I don't understand what you are saying, but when I want to name things
    sequentially based on date and time, I can do so in a manner in which my
    operating systems alphanumeric order based on name will put the items into
    chronological order by their name.

    I use what I can a 'calendecimal' system which is currently based on a
    time scheme which starts in the year 2000. When I first started using it,
    it was based on the year 1980, which old scheme would actually still be
    operational, since it will run until the year 2016. The 2000 one will
    last until 2036, which should be long enough for me.

    That scheme can name the year, month, and date in 3 alphanumeric chars
    easily converted by a human familiar with the base 36 numbering (case
    insensitive arabic numerals 0-9 & letters a-z). It can name the hour and
    2 minute intervals in 2 (more) chars, so noon today 2009-05-16 12:00 would
    be 95gc0, but normally I would just use the date.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 16, 2009
  6. Richard

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <LiEPl.78805$>, Richard
    <> writes
    >I have pictures that I'm renaming. I put them in order according to date and
    >then name them then I put numbers on them. I highlight all the pictures and
    >I right mouse click the top picture and give it a name like ABC (1) and
    >enter. Now all my pictures are numbered with the name ABC with numbers from
    >1 to 100. The problem is the last one with the latest date is number 1 then
    >all the rest fall into place. What can I do about this?

    I believe what you are describing is something similar to what I found
    when using the Windows renumbering 'facility'.

    I haven't done this for some time, but I think I got around it by
    copying one of the pictures (first or last?), renumbering, then deleting
    (and maybe also manually renaming) the 'spare' one.
    --
    Ian

    Ian Jackson, May 16, 2009

    use this http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

    J¡m ßéâñ, May 16, 2009
  8. Richard

    chuckcar Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in

    > I have pictures that I'm renaming. I put them in order according to date
    > and then name them then I put numbers on them. I highlight all the
    > pictures and I right mouse click the top picture and give it a name like
    > ABC (1) and enter. Now all my pictures are numbered with the name ABC
    > with numbers from 1 to 100. The problem is the last one with the latest
    > date is number 1 then all the rest fall into place. What can I do about
    > this?

    You don't use three digits for all the names do you? That is, you name the
    First ABC1 the 10th ABC10, ABC20 for the 20th and the 100th ABC100. The
    problem is that when it sorts, it does it without any intelligence. It
    looks at the ascii code for each character and sorts them accordingly. The
    character 0 appears before the character 1 in ascii. So with the above
    examples the sort order would be: ABC1 ABC10 ABC100 ABC20. This is because
    of two reasons: the missing characters in the short one is considered to
    be a "null" which is the lowest possible and what it says above about the
    digits.

    How you fix this problem is you rename all the names with less than three
    digits to have preceeding zeros for the numbers. You then end up with:
    ABC001 ABC010 ABC020 ABC100 after sorting which is what you want. There
    *are* other ways, but they all involve characters lower than "0". There
    are 16 printable characters that are as ascii "0" is 48 and " " is 32." "
    can't be used and the rest are either punctuation or special symbols.
    Underscore "_" isn't in them, but "-" is and *can* be used. ".", "," /
    "'" and " can't be used as they are used to separate file names into
    extensions paths and for lists respectively. This leaves you with 11 other
    characters, all above the numbers along with "+" on the keyboard. The -
    and 0 are the best choices IMHO.

    This problem happens with *all* recent (since the 70's) computers when
    sorting by ascii value.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, May 17, 2009
  9. Richard

    William Guest

    http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/

    --
    WH

    William, May 17, 2009
  10. Richard

    Guest

    , May 17, 2009
  11. Richard wrote:
    > I have pictures that I'm renaming. I put them in order according to date
    > and
    > then name them then I put numbers on them. I highlight all the pictures and
    > I right mouse click the top picture and give it a name like ABC (1) and
    > enter. Now all my pictures are numbered with the name ABC with numbers from
    > 1 to 100. The problem is the last one with the latest date is number 1 then
    > all the rest fall into place. What can I do about this?

    Download Picasa from Google and use the naming tools within

    Or if you're enlightened consider the Gimp or perhaps Gimpshop.

    Caulfield_man, May 17, 2009
  12. Richard

    Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote:

    >I have pictures that I'm renaming. I put them in order according to date and
    >then name them then I put numbers on them. I highlight all the pictures and
    >I right mouse click the top picture and give it a name like ABC (1) and
    >enter. Now all my pictures are numbered with the name ABC with numbers from
    >1 to 100. The problem is the last one with the latest date is number 1 then
    >all the rest fall into place. What can I do about this?

    This has been asked before, I thought I might find it thru google, but
    2003 was too long ago, Posted to reinforce other post.

    "You are thinking about number sorts have a look at ASCII sorts, I
    think that's it, or the other way around see www.google.com

    It's not a MS issue

    1 10 11 2 20 30 4 40 41

    is correct if you think about it.

    Me"

    Short link: http://tinyurl.com/pg36nv

    Short story:
    http://groups.google.com/group/24ho...df7eeb63?lnk=gst&q=Numbering#7e9a1b24df7eeb63

    --

    Hubble stuff
    http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/photos/2009/05/022331.html

    , May 17, 2009
  13. Richard

    83LowRider Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >I have pictures that I'm renaming. I put them in order according to date
    >and
    > then name them then I put numbers on them. I highlight all the pictures
    > and
    > I right mouse click the top picture and give it a name like ABC (1) and
    > enter. Now all my pictures are numbered with the name ABC with numbers
    > from
    > 1 to 100. The problem is the last one with the latest date is number 1
    > then
    > all the rest fall into place. What can I do about this?

    It seems I ran into this with mp3 files, and the solution was in the
    way they were highlighted.. if memory serves, either CNTRL A
    corrected it (highlight first file, click CNTRL A, which WILL highlight
    all in the folder, so this may not be practical for you), or by highlighting
    the last file first, then the first file.

    83LowRider, May 17, 2009