    re-name each one of them. This doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone give me
    some feed back?

    Richard
    Richard Miller, Sep 5, 2004

  2. Richard Miller

    Beowulf Guest

    On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 08:31:08 -0700, Richard Miller wrote:

    > Every time I download my photos to my computer the camera starts it's
    > numbering back to 00001. Now I have 50 folders with all the same numbering.
    > Tech support from gateway said that's the way it is. Anything I can do about
    > this? When I want to combined pictures from different folders I have to
    > re-name each one of them. This doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone give me
    > some feed back?

    Several solutions:

    http://www.digitalcamerautility.com/
    http://www.rlvision.com/flashren/about17.asp
    http://geol.queensu.ca/people/thomson/geol429/linux_summary/node1.html

    --
    "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."
    Beowulf, Sep 5, 2004

  3. I use Cam2PC and it is configurable. I think the default WinXP is
    configurable. You have not told use what you are using....but I bet its
    configurable too. I bet its even configurable in your camera....but you
    don't say what that is either. In fact...you've given us no information at
    all....hmmmm....just here to vent?

    Gene Palmiter, Sep 5, 2004
  4. Richard Miller

    Beowulf Guest

    On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 10:49:03 -0500, Beowulf wrote:
    > http://geol.queensu.ca/people/thomson/geol429/linux_summary/node1.html

    I should have noted that in the link above you need to scroll down to the
    linux command called mv (short for move, which also can rename files.
    Linux is very powerful and using the mv command and other tools it can
    rename batches of files, etc. as you desire. You could download a KNOPPIX
    iso (disk image) and burn it to a CDROM and you would have a bootable
    versrion of linux that would not even mess with your existing hard drive,
    and thus use linux if and when you want to. KNOPPIX is a cool bootable
    version of linux operating system, complete with a desktop called
    KDE that mimics the GUI of Microsoft Windows, but is better IMHO.
    http://randalloelerich.net/linux-website/linux.html (screenshots, etc)
    http://knoppix.org (download knoppix for free, legally)
    ~Beowulf

    --
    "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."
    Beowulf, Sep 5, 2004
  5. Richard Miller

    Tom Scales Guest

    You're fixing the symptom, not the problem. Your camera will likely num ber
    properly. My D100 and D70 will with just a menu change.

    What camera?

    Toms

    Tom Scales, Sep 5, 2004
  6. Richard Miller

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Richard Miller wrote:

    > Every time I download my photos to my computer the camera starts it's
    > numbering back to 00001. Now I have 50 folders with all the same numbering.
    > Tech support from gateway said that's the way it is. Anything I can do about
    > this? When I want to combined pictures from different folders I have to
    > re-name each one of them. This doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone give me
    > some feed back?

    There could be a solution.

    But.. There are several hundred makes and models of digital cameras
    out there. There are dozens of ways to download the files from the
    camera to the computer.. Depending on the operating system, this can be
    done directly or in some cases it must be done through software.

    If you were to specify what camera you are using and how you download
    pictures, you might get a precise answer.
    Jim Townsend, Sep 5, 2004
  7. Richard Miller

    Rodrigo C. Guest

    May be you can tell your camera not to reset the numbering even if you
    format the memory. In that way I can download the images without any special
    software and it doesn't repeat the numbering until I took more than 10.000
    photos (the filename is in the format PICXXXX where X = number 0-9)

    I cant doit with mine, a Minolta S414 (point and shoot with some manual
    control)

    Rodrigo

    Rodrigo C., Sep 5, 2004
  8. "Richard Miller" <> wrote in message
    > Every time I download my photos to my computer the camera starts it's
    > numbering back to 00001. Now I have 50 folders with all the same
    > numbering.
    > Tech support from gateway said that's the way it is. Anything I can do
    > about
    > this? When I want to combined pictures from different folders I have to
    > re-name each one of them. This doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone give
    > me
    > some feed back?
    >
    > Richard

    Your camera may be doing the renumbering. Check the manual for a setting
    that controls whther or not it strats the numbering from 1 each time it sees
    an empty memory card.
    Marvin Margoshes, Sep 5, 2004
  9. Richard Miller

    F. D. Lewis Guest

    "Richard Miller" <> wrote in message
    > Every time I download my photos to my computer the camera starts it's
    > numbering back to 00001. Now I have 50 folders with all the same

    numbering.
    > Tech support from gateway said that's the way it is. Anything I can do

    about
    > this? When I want to combined pictures from different folders I have to
    > re-name each one of them. This doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone give

    me
    > some feed back?

    do you really want to have your pix numbered from 00001 to 99999 eventually?
    or do you need an archiving scheme for your original files?

    here is what I do after each day's shooting session:

    a) divide up the pix into folders and subfolders with descriptive names.
    here is a recent example from a two-day trip to Baltimore:
    Baltimore
    dolphins
    harbor
    Pimlico Race Track
    Black-Eyed Susan Stakes
    Preakness Stakes

    b) give each file a descriptive name, eg: 01swim.jpg, 02mc.jpg, 03jump.jpg
    I do this inside Nikon View or some other thumbnail viewer
    in each folder keep the pix in the order you took them

    c) make all of the photos read-only

    d) generate contact sheets, add new folders to existing general index.

    it is not as much work as it looks like and gives me a chance to review the
    day's shooting and discard the duds while noting the nice ones. cocktail
    hour is perfect for this!

    by the way, the sooner you set up an archiving scheme, the better!
    F. D. Lewis, Sep 5, 2004
  10. "Richard Miller" <> writes:

    > Every time I download my photos to my computer the camera starts it's
    > numbering back to 00001. Now I have 50 folders with all the same numbering.
    > Tech support from gateway said that's the way it is. Anything I can do about
    > this? When I want to combined pictures from different folders I have to
    > re-name each one of them. This doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone give me
    > some feed back?

    Depends on your camera. Mine can be set to *not* reset the
    numbering. Actually, both of mine could; the first one defaulted to
    it.

    Another approach is to rename the files after downloading. I use
    Siren File Rename (freeware). It lets me rename a bunch of files
    based on various information about the previous file name, the file
    date/time stamps, *and* information in the files (including EXIF
    information). So my files are named by date shot, and numbered within
    that. They could all be put in one directory with no conflicts (but
    boy would there be a lot of files in that directory!). And I keep the
    filename the same when I use it anywhere, so I can always trace it
    back.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 5, 2004
  11. Try Irfan view

    It is free (non-commercial licence) It is good

    It is free and good

    Google for IrfanView

    Once installed look for Batch Edit

    I think commercial users has to pay a miniscule registration fee otherwise
    (and unless details have changed) it is free to good homes

    Articus

    ps IrfanView does far more than help renaming files

    Articus Drools, Sep 5, 2004
  12. Richard Miller

    Guest

    On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 11:22:55 -0500, Jim Townsend <>
    wrote:

    >Richard Miller wrote:
    >
    >> Every time I download my photos to my computer the camera starts it's
    >> numbering back to 00001. Now I have 50 folders with all the same numbering.
    >> Tech support from gateway said that's the way it is. Anything I can do about
    >> this? When I want to combined pictures from different folders I have to
    >> re-name each one of them. This doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone give me
    >> some feed back?

    >There could be a solution.
    >
    >But.. There are several hundred makes and models of digital cameras
    >out there. There are dozens of ways to download the files from the
    >camera to the computer.. Depending on the operating system, this can be
    >done directly or in some cases it must be done through software.
    >
    >If you were to specify what camera you are using and how you download
    >pictures, you might get a precise answer.

    If nothing else, go carefully through all the menu options on
    your camera and look for items with the word "number" or "reset" in
    them. On a Canon A40 it's "File No. Reset". If set to "Off" the
    numbers continue ascending from folder to folder.
    , Sep 5, 2004
  13. Richard Miller

    bob Guest

    "Richard Miller" <> wrote in

    > Every time I download my photos to my computer the camera starts it's
    > numbering back to 00001. Now I have 50 folders with all the same
    > numbering. Tech support from gateway said that's the way it is.
    > Anything I can do about this? When I want to combined pictures from
    > different folders I have to re-name each one of them. This doesn't
    > sound right to me. Can anyone give me some feed back?
    >
    > Richard

    As others have said, you might be able to change a setting in your camera.

    As far as the photos already have go, if you want to sequentially renumber
    them, PIE, from picmeta software ( http://www.picmeta.com/ ), will do a
    good job. They have a free demo.

    My camera sequentially numbers by default, and I kind of like it.

    Bob

    --
    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply
    bob, Sep 5, 2004
  14. I wouldn't have it any other way Bob.

    At first I thought the numbering a bit twee but once there are a few images
    on the hard drive it really does help

    I may be missing the point - if so humble apologies all - but the theme may
    be touching on the hoary old chestnut of image file management

    There are 2 beauts on the go that compliment other software applications
    wonderfully

    Try googling on
    picasa
    xnview

    and consider notions such as keyword searching so for all those images of
    the vacation to Italy in August 2004 could have the following keywords:

    vacation august italy 2004

    hmm scratch that - think of fields

    revising keywords accordingly gives
    vacation loretto italy august 2004

    I am sure you get the picture (Boom! Boom!)

    Articus

    Articus Drools, Sep 5, 2004
  15. Richard Miller

    Ken Oaf Guest

    On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 08:31:08 -0700, "Richard Miller" <> wrote:

    > Every time I download my photos to my computer the camera starts it's
    > numbering back to 00001. Now I have 50 folders with all the same numbering.
    > Tech support from gateway said that's the way it is. Anything I can do about
    > this? When I want to combined pictures from different folders I have to
    > re-name each one of them. This doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone give me
    > some feed back?

    The numbering system used on every digital camera is about as useful as having
    an ashtray on a motorbike.

    Rename your photos using a description of what the image actually is. As an
    example, I might take pictures at a picnic. I will select the lot in Windows XP
    and rename them all to <date>_Picnic. Windows will add a number to each. Then
    rename each one to describe what the image is of. So you might end up with an
    image named 050604_Picnic_045_Aunty_Jane_With_Kids_Swing or similar. ;-)

    That seems like a lot of work but you will be very pleased in a few years time
    if you have to find a particular image.
    Ken Oaf, Sep 6, 2004
  16. Richard Miller

    chris French Guest

    In message <>, Ken Oaf
    <> writes
    >On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 08:31:08 -0700, "Richard Miller" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Every time I download my photos to my computer the camera starts it's
    >> numbering back to 00001. Now I have 50 folders with all the same numbering.
    >> Tech support from gateway said that's the way it is.

    >The numbering system used on every digital camera is about as useful as having
    >an ashtray on a motorbike.
    >
    >Rename your photos using a description of what the image actually is

    For me it just doesn't work, these sort of things (as another poster
    suggested) take more time than I want to spend - so I don't do it, gets
    complicated if you want to indicate multiple 'categories' and finding
    images in the future gets harder and harder as the number of images
    increases.

    I prefer to use cataloguing software to do this as it is much more
    flexible, and quicker to use - hence I do it.
    --
    Chris French
    chris French, Sep 6, 2004
  17. Richard Miller

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Richard Miller <> wrote:
    >Every time I download my photos to my computer the camera starts it's
    >numbering back to 00001. Now I have 50 folders with all the same numbering.
    >Tech support from gateway said that's the way it is. Anything I can do about
    >this? When I want to combined pictures from different folders I have to
    >re-name each one of them. This doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone give me
    >some feed back?

    >Richard

    What is the camera and what software are you using to do
    the download?

    ----- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Sep 6, 2004
  18. Richard Miller

    John Wright Guest

    Windows XP allows you to rename multiple files with just one operation.
    Simply select all of them with your mouse (using CTRL or SHIFT key in
    Explorer), click mouse right button, select "rename" from the menu that pops
    up. With the cursor placed on one of the files, type your new name. If you
    type a name with a number within parenthesis, e.g. "20040906_picnic(37)",
    Windows XP explorer will use it as the starting number and will rename all
    the files consecutively, as in 20040906_picnic(37), 20040906_picnic(38) etc.
    If this is all you want to do, you need no other software.

    Regards - JW
    John Wright, Sep 6, 2004
  19. Richard Miller

    Beowulf Guest

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:19:07 +1000, John Wright wrote:

    > Windows XP allows you to rename multiple files with just one operation...

    Awesome, I was unaware of this WIndowsXP capability. Good tip to know!

    --
    "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."
    Beowulf, Sep 6, 2004
  20. Ken Oaf <> writes:

    > On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 08:31:08 -0700, "Richard Miller" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Every time I download my photos to my computer the camera starts it's
    >> numbering back to 00001. Now I have 50 folders with all the same numbering.
    >> Tech support from gateway said that's the way it is. Anything I can do about
    >> this? When I want to combined pictures from different folders I have to
    >> re-name each one of them. This doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone give me
    >> some feed back?

    > The numbering system used on every digital camera is about as useful as having
    > an ashtray on a motorbike.
    >
    > Rename your photos using a description of what the image actually is. As an
    > example, I might take pictures at a picnic. I will select the lot in Windows XP
    > and rename them all to <date>_Picnic. Windows will add a number to each. Then
    > rename each one to describe what the image is of. So you might end up with an
    > image named 050604_Picnic_045_Aunty_Jane_With_Kids_Swing or similar. ;-)
    >
    > That seems like a lot of work but you will be very pleased in a few years time
    > if you have to find a particular image.

    No I won't, because I will have renamed it something shorter and more
    convenient each place I used it -- probably something *different*. So
    I'll have one hell of a time matching up the copy somebody ripped off
    my website and reused with my original.

    Instead, put the information in IPTC fields; that's what they're there
    for.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 6, 2004